PDA

View Full Version : N800 locks up after updating packages?

Gadgetguy
2008-02-29, 15:27
Hello all,

my nicely set up N800 went into an infinite boot loop yesterday, after I did an apt-get upgrade and then apt-get upgrade.

So I reflash-ed it to the newest 2008 OS.

After reflashing, I have installed the "becomeroot" program (nothing else) and did an upgrade / update. (I didn't restore my backup)

Result: infinite boot loop, with only another reflash bringing the unit back to life.

What is going on here? Is there a buggy application in the feeds?

Or is my hardware crapping out?

Thanks for any advice...

GeneralAntilles
2008-02-29, 15:38
Why would you do that? <_< apt-get upgrade isn't a recommended upgrade method. It has a high chance of breaking things, especially when you involved certain repositories (rtcomm in particular, the SDK repo, too).

Gadgetguy
2008-02-29, 16:23
Why would you do that? <_< apt-get upgrade isn't a recommended upgrade method. It has a high chance of breaking things, especially when you involved certain repositories (rtcomm in particular, the SDK repo, too).

Oh. I did not know that. So what is the recommended way to update? I thought that the GUI updater is not very good (it times out often)?

Thanks again for your advice!

GeneralAntilles
2008-02-29, 16:25
Oh. I did not know that. So what is the recommended way to update? I thought that the GUI updater is not very good (it times out often)?

Just use Application Manager. Well, either that, or purge the rtcomm repository and the SDK repository and cross your fingers.

Gadgetguy
2008-03-03, 19:54
Update: I am using now the Application Manager - but it crashes quite often when creating the list of applications. I never had this before (before updating to the most recent firmware).
Is there any fix for this?
Thank you one more time...

yabbas
2008-04-05, 02:50
Guess which numbnuts did this AGAIN. *grrrr*

Damnit - I ought to be able to apt-get upgrade without resorting to the terribly slow AppMan!

Is there any way to fix this? Which package/s were at fault?

:( damnit - and I had her all nicely setup too!

GeneralAntilles
2008-04-05, 03:15
Damnit - I ought to be able to apt-get upgrade without resorting to the terribly slow AppMan!

Be careful which repositories you install. The SDK and rtcomm-beta repos are known trouble-causers with apt-get upgrade.