PDA

View Full Version : [OS2008] Shadow Warrior

ukki
2008-03-01, 23:05
http://nakkiboso.com/sw2.jpg
Ok, first the facts:

1. Ninjas are mammals.
2. Ninjas fight ALL the time.
3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Create a directory /media/mmc[1-2]/share/sw and put sw.grp, sw.rts in there. Install the deb and run. Be sure to delete the old sw.cfg before first run if you are updating. I made some changes in it.

Now go and flip out (http://pupnik.de/shadowwarrior_1.2-3.deb).

Link updated: 2008-03-04

qwerty12
2008-03-01, 23:10
thanks mate, you are on fire!

I will obtain a copy of thiis game and try it/out...

CyberCat
2008-03-01, 23:55
Thanks a lot for all your hard work, can't wait to try it out! :D

pipeline
2008-03-01, 23:57
You have ascended to the rank of `ukki daimyo' in my short term memory for this ;

Best icon evAR too!

Now to remap the flight simulator control mappings...

Pushwall
2008-03-02, 00:05
You wanta some wang? Yes I wanta some wang!

I've got the Shadow Warrior box right behind me. I'll have to reinstall this to my PC and see how this runs. Very cool! Thanks ukki!! :cool:

Pushwall
2008-03-02, 00:34
I tried running it and it was a no go. I got no result from the menu so I ran it in xterm. It said it "Detected registered GRP". Next there was a "STUB: AlphaMessage (AlphaMessage, game.c:3744)". Then it said to "Type 'SW-?' for command line options". And then a "STUB_ CONTROL_ClearAssignments (CONTROL_ClearAssignments, control,c:222)". And then "STUB: CD audio init (CDAudio_Init, cd.c:1183)". And then ..."Fatal signal: Floating Point Exception (SDL Parachute Deployed)". And final line..."Floating point exception".

Doesn't sound good. :(

If you need to borrow my registered version, pm me.

ukki
2008-03-02, 00:46
That's what I was afraid of. Is your game patched to 1.2 ? If I'm not mistaken, the source is 1.2 and who knows, maybe the datafiles are different in earlier versions. And did you use your own config? If so, please remove it and try the game again.

Pushwall
2008-03-02, 04:38
Success! It was the config file. I was using the config file from the PC install. Once I copied your config file over to the sw directory on my internal card the game worked. It takes a good 10-15 seconds for the main menu to pop on (running from the tablet menu), but it works. I was able to go into the 1st registered episode without a problem. Wow, really great graphics and action! I'll mess with the config file tomorrow and see how well this game works with my N800 controls. BTW, the game from the registered CD was already version 1.2.

ukki
2008-03-02, 09:38
Glad to hear it. I'll work on it some more then, try to fix the menus, remove the hardcoded funtion key bindings and make the save game work.

qwerty12
2008-03-02, 11:21
I tried out full version with your config.

I started registered level and controls seem ok to me IMHO. Gameplay is pretty good actually, sometimes it lags for half a second but it is not really noticeable.

Thanks! :)

iontruo2
2008-03-02, 12:39
Wow, what a difference a night sleep makes! Voila, Shadow Warrior.
Thanks for the efforts!
I'm still pretty newb for command line entries, any chance of 'an installable' at a future point, of the shareware version?

tsvest
2008-03-02, 13:36
Keep on the good work!
I'll try it when I got my N800.
How about porting Serious Sam? I am afraid that it will be quite dificult ...

Ray
2008-03-02, 13:48
Wow, another excellent port:-)

One thing I noticed so far:
Pressing the menu key (N810) starts the SW sound options dialog,
but I wasn't able to get out of this dialog again.
At least the escape button didn't work.

Any hints?

BTW: I have the full retail version, which was available here for a very short period only...

Johnx
2008-03-02, 14:16
@tsvest: Sorry, but there is no way you'll ever see Serious Sam on hardware with the performance of the N800/N810. The requirements are at least 1 or 2 orders of magnitude off.

-John

ukki
2008-03-02, 17:38
Made menus work better, updated config, fixed aiming, added ability to save, but game crashes if you try to load them :( I'm still investigating it, but it should work quite nicely otherwise. Get it from the first post. Remember to delete old sw.cfg before updating.

tsvest
2008-03-02, 19:30
@tsvest: Sorry, but there is no way you'll ever see Serious Sam on hardware with the performance of the N800/N810. The requirements are at least 1 or 2 orders of magnitude off.

-John

That's what I was afraid of. :(
Anyway there are several more good games from that time (and some of them use the same game engine called BUILD, which will make it easier to port them). So far, thanks to ukki, there are Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior ported. The others I had good time with are:

- Blood
- Hexen
- Heretic
- Chasm

There might be even more, but my CDs are deeply packed in some boxes... Maybe I'll need to dig them out soon :rolleyes:

Come on ukki :D

ukki
2008-03-02, 20:05
Haha, I'd be happy to get Shadow Warrior fixed, but that's it for me for now. I think the way to go with these would be trying to port JonoF's (http://jonof.id.au/index.php?p=build.games) engine to tablets, properly package the libraries and then port the games. The ones I used were pretty ugly and Shadow Warrior seems to be too unfinished for a proper port. Also my winter vacation is over so don't expect new games in the near future. And I don't think we need anymore first person shooters as they are pretty terrible on the tablet controls wise. I'd like to see a car game though, but I really haven't found a decent canditate.

Pushwall
2008-03-02, 20:08
According to Wikikpedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build_engine), the only games based on the Build engine besides Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior with source code released are Witchaven, Witchaven II, Tekwar and Corridor 8. So I don't think we'll see Blood which is unfortunate since I loved that game.

Pushwall
2008-03-02, 20:18
Also my winter vacation is over so don't expect new games in the near future.
Damn! The well has run dry. I was hoping for a port of Rise of the Triad since that source (ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/source/rottsource.zip) is available too! ;) Seriously though, ukki you've done a fantastic job on porting these games in such a short time. It's much appreciated.

And I don't think we need anymore first person shooters as they are pretty terrible on the tablet controls wise. I'd like to see a car game though, but I really haven't found a decent canditate.
A car game would be cool. OMG I better look quick before your vacation ends! :D

Pushwall
2008-03-02, 21:16
For some reason I can't get Jump or Crouch to work in this game. I assume the keys across the top of the N800 are "-" = F8, "FullScreen" = F6, and "+" = F7. I've tried setting Jump equal to any of these keys and it doesn't work, while Next_Weapon does. Is there something in the config file I'm missing?

ukki
2008-03-02, 21:24
Pushwall, delete the config and update the package. I accidentally left them out.

Pushwall
2008-03-02, 21:52
Thanks, that did the trick. :)

Here's a list of open source car games to tackle before your break ends :D:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/616897/free_racing_games_guide_to_free_open.html

ukki
2008-03-02, 23:05
Sorry to tell you this, but the save game function of this version is really broken and there's no way I'm able to fix it. Hopefully someone will build the Jonof's version of the game for you.

Pushwall
2008-03-03, 00:52
Yikes! :eek:

I guess for now I'll use my bluetooth keyboard with cheat codes if I want to get through the game. It's a shame that the save game problem is there, but that's the way it is. Thanks for trying though.

tsvest
2008-03-03, 15:43
Thanks anyway Ukki.
Regarding the racing game candidate - I remember a small, but addictive Formula 1 game called Speed Haste. It wasn't quite demanding on CPU power. It will be nice to see it ported.

ukki
2008-03-03, 16:17
I can't just go around porting games without linux source of the game.

I'd hate to leave Shadow Warrior this way so I was thinking of trying to add a menu to the game that lists and let's you select maps. Maybe bump up the default arsenary a bit too to compensate the lousy controls.

Pushwall
2008-03-03, 16:53
ukki that'd be pretty cool! At least it would be easier to navigate through the game without cheat codes.

ukki
2008-03-03, 21:15
New release. Removed few menu items (load/save/oh dear). Created map selection screens for both episodes. Second episode has so many maps, that you now need 480 height for the game and you still don't see the last one, but it is selectable. So remove your old config before running or just change the screen height to 480. Also resolution switch is now possible inside the game (doesn't save it though). Last but not least, I added a third new menu... ;)

Didn't test it very well so report if my changes break something. Get it from the first post.

Pushwall
2008-03-03, 22:17
Wow! Cool! I'm off to try it! :)

Pushwall
2008-03-03, 22:33
OMG yes! This is way cool, ukki!! And that third menu is fantastic too. Haha I've got a feeling everyone is going to want that in the Duke Nukem 3D port too. :)

Thanks for going the extra mile when you didn't have to. For special reasons both Duke and Shadow Warrior are 2 of my favorite games from the past. And now I've got them on my N800. Thank you!! :cool:

ukki
2008-03-04, 21:38
Enabled pixel doubling for 400x240 resolution, but it's not enabled on default. If you want it, just change to that resolution in your config. Gives better fullscreen framerate.

Pushwall
2008-03-05, 02:05
Yeah that is much better. I was using 800x480 and now pixel doubling at 400x240 is much smoother. Rock on ukki! :cool:

ArnimS
2008-03-05, 22:30
Argh. Thanks for those cheats. Not easy this one. I am little grashoppah

italodance
2008-03-16, 05:07
guys i have a problem for plat the game

well i am a new user here

i downloaded and installed deb file to my n800 os2008

then where are sw.grp, sw.rts? please share here

and what about /media/mmc[1-2]/share/sw ?

i made a folder called share on my Removable Disk (my sdhc 4 gb) and then sw folder into that!

please help and guide me now

tnx

italodance
2008-03-20, 08:11

-John

the game can't quit? what can i do?

wazd
2008-03-20, 09:04
People want to run Serious Sam on n8*0?)) Why not Crysis?))

Natehunderd
2008-03-22, 03:06
ukki - lovin it!!!

tsvest
2008-10-17, 19:24
@italodance
sw.grp and sw.rts should be taken from the PC game.

To quit the game press the home button on the D-pad and then click on the x

mikkov
2008-10-17, 19:30
@italodance
To quit the game press the home button on the D-pad and then click on the x

Actually this only closes the window but the process left running in the background with 100% cpu and it will kill the battery fast.

This is the behaviour I get from the extras-devel version.

FRZ
2008-12-13, 05:29
@italodance
sw.grp and sw.rts should be taken from the PC game.

To quit the game press the home button on the D-pad and then click on the xI was wondering why the game never starts after I installed it. I don't have these files.

sisto
2009-12-15, 22:31
You can quit pressing the back button to open the menu then select quit, press the d-pad button and press the back button again.

It's really hard for me to turn using the screen.
Is there a way to config the turn_left and turn_right keys?
I have set them on the config file but it seems to ignore the setting.

EDIT:
I was able to do it!
You need to have both keys for it to work even if one of them is empty.
So in order to solve it...
replace this: turn_left "p"
with this: turn_left "p" ""

Anyone know what is the key name I have to write to map shift or ctrl?

EDIT:
Nevermind this last question... I'm using another key.
Everything solved now!

xFinal
2010-03-06, 20:11
hey, im having a few small problems, im installing it on the N900, and all other games ive tried for n8xx have worked fine and im pretty sure this will once i can find out what i need to do anyway,

problem is that the media/mmc1/ is "full" now ive got like 22gb of lovely free space on my internal memory, now i cant get the game to run because i need the cfg but once ive copied the 2 files over i dont have room for the cfg and without the 2 files i cant update to get the config, so is there a somewhere i can just download and copy to my device, and also is there a way to make the program look in for instance "/home/user/MyDocs/sw/" instead of the default directory,

i just cant seem to find the file that has the paths in it. and for the mmc1 being full is because stratagus is there and i had the same problem but i really dont want to delete stratagus for 5mins to update sw, even so i still have the directory problems.

thanks in advance.

EDIT:tried to set up a symlink from the /mmc1/share/sw/ to another location, no joy, wasnt convinced it would work this way anyway...

haberc
2010-03-07, 10:02
is it possibel to have the share ware version in the download catalogues?

ukki
2010-03-07, 10:53
hey, im having a few small problems, im installing it on the N900, and all other games ive tried for n8xx have worked fine and im pretty sure this will once i can find out what i need to do anyway,

problem is that the media/mmc1/ is "full" now ive got like 22gb of lovely free space on my internal memory, now i cant get the game to run because i need the cfg but once ive copied the 2 files over i dont have room for the cfg and without the 2 files i cant update to get the config, so is there a somewhere i can just download and copy to my device, and also is there a way to make the program look in for instance "/home/user/MyDocs/sw/" instead of the default directory,

i just cant seem to find the file that has the paths in it. and for the mmc1 being full is because stratagus is there and i had the same problem but i really dont want to delete stratagus for 5mins to update sw, even so i still have the directory problems.

thanks in advance.

EDIT:tried to set up a symlink from the /mmc1/share/sw/ to another location, no joy, wasnt convinced it would work this way anyway...

You really should stay away from os2008 games, they aren't meant to be used on n900. Codebase of this port is way too buggy anyways. But if I remember correctly, you can edit the startup script if you want to change the path. Or just cd into the directory you have the data file in and run the binary.

xFinal
2010-03-07, 11:57
i know i know lol, it all seems quite similar so i thought what the heck, got a few other os2008 games running fine atm.

anyway, another problem popping up now lol, cant launch sw from my chosen directory since duke3d is already installed and launches that instead, and at this moment in time it doesnt want to be removed.

so, i went to edit the startup script changed the path and clicked save, insufficent disk space problem again, and it refused to save but instead wiped it out completely....lol

now the disk space is bugging the hell out of me, so i deleted unnesccary files within stratagus to free some spaces (multiplayer maps,) still pops up with insufficent disk space...

so it stumped me there, so i thought id try something else just to be 100% sure it is disk space, so i installed hexen2 no problem whatsoever was even able to put the files in /media/mmc1/ and runs perfect. so went back to SW ..hitting the same wall, and im puzzeled as to why no space for sw, yet plenty for hexen =\

i know its os2008 based and all that, but others work so im sure i can eventually get this working to. :D

ukki
2010-03-07, 12:11
i know i know lol, it all seems quite similar so i thought what the heck, got a few other os2008 games running fine atm.

anyway, another problem popping up now lol, cant launch sw from my chosen directory since duke3d is already installed and launches that instead, and at this moment in time it doesnt want to be removed.

so, i went to edit the startup script changed the path and clicked save, insufficent disk space problem again, and it refused to save but instead wiped it out completely....lol

now the disk space is bugging the hell out of me, so i deleted unnesccary files within stratagus to free some spaces (multiplayer maps,) still pops up with insufficent disk space...

so it stumped me there, so i thought id try something else just to be 100% sure it is disk space, so i installed hexen2 no problem whatsoever was even able to put the files in /media/mmc1/ and runs perfect. so went back to SW ..hitting the same wall, and im puzzeled as to why no space for sw, yet plenty for hexen =\

i know its os2008 based and all that, but others work so im sure i can eventually get this working to. :D

I'll check if I can repackage it so that it doesn't use rootfs and searches for the files from MyDocs.

EDIT: shadowwarrior_1.2-0maemo1_armel.deb (http://nakkiboso.com/shadowwarrior_1.2-0maemo1_armel.deb)

Connect your N900 with the usb-cable, create a directory called shadowwarrior and copy sw.grp there. Since it's buggy and there's no escape key, I don't recommend anyone to install it.

xFinal
2010-03-07, 12:57
cheers matey, much appricated, and if i wasnt prepared for the consequences i wouldnt of attempted lol, but i cant resist tinkering and around :D, well cleared my cache out and a few other things so space is back, atleast now i can get back into app manager and remove a few space hungry apps.

with this new deb file, do i need to copy the sw.cfg from my sw on the pc or copy the 2 files and try to update? id manage since the directory path is just changed a update would run no problem.

ukki
2010-03-07, 13:00
cheers matey, much appricated, and if i wasnt prepared for the consequences i wouldnt of attempted lol, but i cant resist tinkering and around :D, well cleared my cache out and a few other things so space is back, atleast now i can get back into app manager and remove a few space hungry apps.

with this new deb file, do i need to copy the sw.cfg from my sw on the pc or copy the 2 files and try to update? id manage since the directory path is just changed a update would run no problem.

You don't need to copy anything by hand, startup script will copy it to MyDocs/shadowwarrior and you can edit that with a text editor if you want to change controls. And I optified it so it shouldn't take much space from your rootfs. After you close it, make sure it's actually killed by running "killall shadowwarriorbin" in terminal. Use w and s in menu instead of arrows.

xFinal
2010-03-07, 13:01
sweet, ill give it a try a now, see what i get :)

EDIT: right at the moment im struggling to remove the original i installed, app manager cant uninstall anything atm, so im gonna browse around see if i can find what the cause is.

Heman1310
2010-03-07, 13:24
sweet, ill give it a try a now, see what i get :)

EDIT: right at the moment im struggling to remove the original i installed, app manager cant uninstall anything atm, so im gonna browse around see if i can find what the cause is.

you can uninstall it in the terminal by:
sudo gainroot
dpkg -r shadowwarrior

xFinal
2010-03-07, 13:36
ah, cheers dude that removed it, installed the new deb file, works perfect just need to bind the keys. cheers guys really appricate it. :D

EDIT: as for the exiting problem, not the best way by any means but, pressing the power button minimizes SW and gives me the option to end process. Until i find a better way :)

rikisky
2010-03-12, 04:51
I wanna try this game, looks interesting, i'm waiting for an N900 version to come on the Extras repos or an optified debian package to install, without having to edit any config files, i suck at that LOL