PDA

View Full Version : Swaping N800 display with the N810's trans-reflective display.

brecklundin
2008-03-04, 04:32
Anyone know it the display is compatible between the two devices? I am willing to find a DOA N810 or even order a new display to get the improved ability to use it outside.

And no, it is not enough that the display is a bit usable outside if I crank up the brightness. I like to read outside and often need to do a fast web search and simply want the advantages of a trans-reflective display.

If the display controllers are the same and the physical dimensions of the displays are the same then I see no reason it would fit in the bezel and work.

And yeah voids the warranty...so? as long as I am careful I would put the old display back in...

jellotherat
2008-03-04, 09:49
Seems to me it would just be easier to use the N810. It's going to cost about the same anyways, since a DOA could be returned for a working one and I've not seen where you can buy just a replacement screen.

However if you're intent on trying it, I don't see any reason it shouldn't work. The displays are the same size and the only difference between a transmissive display and a transflective display is the addition of the reflective layer behind the LCD layer. Electronically they should be identical.

halbamy
2008-03-04, 10:48
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12145

fanoush
2008-03-04, 11:33
Anyone know it the display is compatible between the two devices?
No, it is not. At least the connector is different. Search for posts by igor for more details.

gemniii42
2008-03-04, 14:02
Have you compared the displays under the same lighting conditions?
How bright is your "outdoors"?
Under the noon day Texas sun I could not read anything on my N810 when shading it with my hand.

fanoush
2008-03-04, 14:15
Have you compared the displays under the same lighting conditions?
How bright is your "outdoors"?
Under the noon day Texas sun I could not read anything on my N810 when shading it with my hand.
Well, N810 is not 'bright' outdoors, it is 'readable'. The difference is that while N800 is unreadable, with n810 in same light conditions the display is readable (but the backlight is useless too).

At least with my N8x0 devices the price for readability outdoors is that N810 is not so nice indoors, my N800 is bright with excellent colors, N810 is good too but colors are a bit dull and washed when compared to N800.

pycage
2008-03-04, 14:56
Don't overestimate sunlight readability. You wouldn't want to strain your eyes to actually read something on the N810 in direct sunlight. I almost find my N810 screen on par with my 770 screen under direct sun light.

dblank
2008-03-04, 17:01
The displays are the same size and the only difference between a transmissive display and a transflective display is the addition of the reflective layer behind the LCD layer. Electronically they should be identical.

I thought the pixels were different as well, allowing light both in and out on the transflective display.

If the reflective layer is really the only difference, I wonder how hard it would be to add a layer beneath the N800 LCD.

3M makes reflective films, but probably only sells in quantities of 10,000+ at high prices :)

Anyone know if it's possible to do something like this? I'm guessing it would be difficult and costly, if it could work at all..

brecklundin
2008-03-04, 23:22
No, it is not. At least the connector is different. Search for posts by igor for more details.

well, darn...really, just DARN IT ANYWAY...hehehehe...

It was just one of weird ideas that come to mind now and then. I will just have to wait for a Gen2 Kindle then. Now that we have the ability to read de-drm'd versions of previously secured mobi files on the NIT and also, due to the same tool, on the the Kindle at least the Kindle is now more attractive but only if they redesign the a bit.

I had not been able to compare the display's and was only working from what others had commented on when reading outside with the N810 vs. the N800. And the reason I would rather swap displays would have been I would get to keep the MEMORY capacity of the N800 and use the cards I already bought.

Plus I have pretty large hands and the keyboard on the N810 might not work well for me. Plus when using the kickstand it sure would seem you can't use the keyboard as easily as holding the device in your hands. I often use the kickstand and poke away at the on screen keyboard, amazingly enough, I have come to appreciate it.

I just did not know enough of the design specs on each device to know if it was even possible. I think they missed a big revenue center there with a display upgrade path.

BTW, this all began when i happened across Thoughfix's N800 disassembly video...it's very cool and the tablet comes apart very easily.

jellotherat
2008-03-05, 00:22
If the reflective layer is really the only difference, I wonder how hard it would be to add a layer beneath the N800 LCD.

Impossible. The reflective layer is deposited on the substrate by a process called Chemical Vapor Deposition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_vapor_deposition) before the LCD layer is formed. It would literally be like trying to remove a specific layer from a Pentium chip without destroying the rest of the chip.