PDA

View Full Version : features on the nokia n800

eslo
2008-03-10, 00:13
Two unanswered questions about the Nokia n800 was...

Does Javascript work on it?

Can you somehow download youtube videos onto it? (So you can watch them without going online)

Laughing Man
2008-03-10, 00:16
Yes, javascript works on the n800. And yes you can download youtube videos onto it (though I don't think you can play them..? Maybe with mplayer). Well you can always use a convetor or the many website convetors.

eslo
2008-03-10, 00:18
k thanx :)

Bundyo
2008-03-10, 00:20
You can download and watch youtube movies, especially when the Canola Youtube plugin comes out next week.

GeraldKo
2008-03-10, 00:49
The Canola youtube plug-in will change everything. But even for now, it's easy to save youtube videos to the N800 with http://bywifi.com/

eslo
2008-03-10, 15:38
k thanks everyone...

eslo
2008-03-10, 15:45
oh yeah, two more things :p, where will you be able to download the Canola plugin thingy, and how do you download youtube videos from bywifi?

OppositeOfIgnorance
2008-03-10, 22:44
http://gplpark92.googlepages.com/index.htm

mandrake64
2008-03-11, 11:25
@GeraldKo
Hi, Where is the folder of saved youtube videos in N800? bywifi didn't ask me which folder want to save? So I couldn't find this folder.
Thanks in Advance.

ghoonk
2008-03-11, 11:55
k thanx :)

You meant, 'Alright, thanks', right?

kthxbai, lol

The lolcatz strikes again. Looks like the world is going to heck with English being replaced by teen/lolcatz-speak, at this rate :D

ghoonk
2008-03-11, 12:11
http://gplpark92.googlepages.com/index.htm

Some areas that could do with more clarification on that page:

1. Handwriting should not be $350 and $500. Should be Yes and No respectively.

2. Installation of OGG codec for media player causes problems with audio in/out when using VoIP services, e.g. Skype, Gizmo, SIP. There's a workaround, but not for the non-tech-savvy

3. Video formats need to include more specifics. DivX files encoded at a very high bitrate will not play back properly.

4. Installation of FM Radio application on N800 causes OS2008 to not work properly with Bluetooth headsets.

5. There is FlashLite support for the iPod Touch and iPhone. At least that counts for something. Maybe :)

6. Even though iPod Touch and iPhone run MacOS X, it is still largely a closed platform. Maemo isn't perfect, but it's heck of a lot more open, and developers are not limited to developing webplets (web applets).

7. The N8x0's storage cards can be seen by PCs and Macs as removable drives and behaves as USD drive. The iPhone and iPod Touch can only be used by iTunes for music and movies.

8. Videos for the iPod Touch cannot be converted by iTunes. You'll need a 3rd party converter for that. The N8x0 isn't free from this either, since it is recommended that movies be optimized using N800 Video Convert or Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter. Advanced users have reported success using Handbrake and other software, but the fact remains that the N8x0 runs optimized video better.

9. Let's not kid ourselves -- image editing doesn't exist for OS2007 and OS2008. Neither do we have an acceptable Office-type suite of applications for word processing, though I have found gnumeric to be pretty decent. Powerpoint? forget it. Gaming is possible in most cases, though navigation has sometimes been a problem. I'm not sure how many people here use their N8x0s as proper gaming devices, but I'd wager that it's not more than 5% of the NiT population.

10. Might be useful to point out that the N800 and N810 has a user-replaceable battery while the iPod Touch does not.

11. N800's BT support is limited to BT DUN, BT Headset, BT OBEX, and one more that slips my mind (for connection to GPS). It does not have BT File Transfer and I do not recall BT Business Card Exchange support being there. I've also not had any success in getting my Windows machines to see the N800's storage devices as removable storage in the same way that these same machines see the MS Duo memory card on my Sony Ericsson mobiles as removable storage devices.

12. The N8x0 has support for internet media streams. Do the iPod Touch and iPhone handle internet radio?

Just my 2 cents for the sake of objectivity. :)

GeraldKo
2008-03-11, 19:52
@GeraldKo
Hi, Where is the folder of saved youtube videos in N800? bywifi didn't ask me which folder want to save?

Try again. If you select Save right from the start, it *does* ask you where you want to save.

Laughing Man
2008-03-11, 20:01
How do you fix the audio in/out problem with SIP/Skype and the ogg codec support? I had installed it (heard about the problems) and since I use Skype and Gizmo+Grand Central I uninstalled it.

I do occasionally get that no audio in or out on calls though.

Benson
2008-03-11, 20:15
9. Let's not kid ourselves -- image editing doesn't exist for OS2007 and OS2008. Neither do we have an acceptable Office-type suite of applications for word processing, though I have found gnumeric to be pretty decent. Powerpoint? forget it. Gaming is possible in most cases, though navigation has sometimes been a problem. I'm not sure how many people here use their N8x0s as proper gaming devices, but I'd wager that it's not more than 5% of the NiT population.
I have imagemagick. Define "proper gaming device", please? I play more games on N800 than on PC, anyways... but I don't play all that much on either. (Not to say I'm typical.)
11. N800's BT support is limited to BT DUN, BT Headset, BT OBEX, and one more that slips my mind (for connection to GPS). It does not have BT File Transfer and I do not recall BT Business Card Exchange support being there. I've also not had any success in getting my Windows machines to see the N800's storage devices as removable storage in the same way that these same machines see the MS Duo memory card on my Sony Ericsson mobiles as removable storage devices.
Mine does have FTP support, though. PAN is said to be working now as well. HID has been working all along, that's keyboards and (with some help) mice.
Business card exchange? I'm no BT whiz, but I'm thinking that's just a layer on top of obex, so I'd think it should be fairly simple if someone needed it.
AVRCP is still missing, and A2DP isn't so finished, though people have experienced varying degrees of satisfaction.

mandrake64
2008-03-11, 20:56
Try again. If you select Save right from the start, it *does* ask you where you want to save.

Very strange! I couldn't see and find any start button. What do you mean "save right from the start". Can you explain step by step. First, I am writing my user name and password then searching a video and when I saw a video thumbnail I am clicking the "Save it" button under the thumbnail and then it says 5 minutes left etc. then when the clip ready I am only starting it on the play button there is no any other selection to save anywhere. Where am I doing a mistake?
Thanks in Advance

GeraldKo
2008-03-11, 21:51
I don't know why it's different for you than for me. I'm using OS2008. After the 5 minutes, I click the link that says "reload" and then it says, "This video is ready, save now" (where "save" is a link).

mandrake64
2008-03-11, 22:33
I don't know why it's different for you than for me. I'm using OS2008. After the 5 minutes, I click the link that says "reload" and then it says, "This video is ready, save now" (where "save" is a link).

Ok, this step is different for me. After the 5 minutes,I click the link that says"reload" and then it says "1 minute remaining" no other warning like yours"This video is ready,save now" and so I am only watching video by clicking the play button without saving. Any other idea?
Thanks

mandrake64
2008-03-12, 07:58
@Geraldko,
OK, At last I found How must it be! What a simple way! Just click and HOLD stylus on the save now button and then a selection menu appears and click "save target as" and download begins that's it!
Thank you for your all help.

ghoonk
2008-03-13, 04:46
I have imagemagick. Define "proper gaming device", please? I play more games on N800 than on PC, anyways... but I don't play all that much on either. (Not to say I'm typical.)

Mine does have FTP support, though. PAN is said to be working now as well. HID has been working all along, that's keyboards and (with some help) mice.
Business card exchange? I'm no BT whiz, but I'm thinking that's just a layer on top of obex, so I'd think it should be fairly simple if someone needed it.
AVRCP is still missing, and A2DP isn't so finished, though people have experienced varying degrees of satisfaction.

Proper portable gaming device would be something akin to a PSP or Nintendo DS playing games like Metal Gear Acid, Metal Gear Portable Ops, SOCOM, etc, not chess, lemmings, etc. It would be unrealistic to expect my N800 to do games like Call of Duty 4 or even Warcraft.

PAN takes some tinkering about, but yes, HID devices like keyboards are supported, but mice will take some tinkering with, just like AVRCP and A2DP.