PDA

View Full Version : GPE calendar: first Monday of the month?

idiotprogrammer
2006-04-10, 19:16
Hi, I have started to use GPE-Calendar.

I found something which is a major deal killer for me.

You can do recurring appointments, but they can only be a certain numerical date of the month.

You can't set a pattern which is "1st Monday of every month."

Gosh, 75% of my appointments are some variation of this pattern. Without this function, GPE-calendar does me little good.

Am I missing something here? this seems like essential functionality.

Has this feature not been ported yet or is it simply the way GPE does this on all platforms?

Are there other calendar programs that let you do this?

Robert Nagle

troubleshootr
2006-04-10, 19:34
Jpilot offers this. I like the fact that is has calendar/todo/address/memo all from one application. Plus I was able to import from my Palm.

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalogWip#head-a337e48ced4c91c8c726893faad4f7b11f240aba

gtsmith
2006-04-10, 20:06
jpilot for me does not show the correct time...shows GMT only. I'm GMT - 5h but it reports GMT. been thru all the pref pages and did not see anything that addressed this. ideas?

henry
2006-04-10, 20:48
jpilot for me does not show the correct time...shows GMT only. I'm GMT - 5h but it reports GMT. been thru all the pref pages and did not see anything that addressed this. ideas?

You need to modify (as root) /var/lib/install/usr/lib/jpilot/jpilot.sh to set TZ to the correct timezone.

troubleshootr
2006-04-10, 20:49
You need to modify the jpilot.sh script. It is located in /var/lib/install/usr/lib/jpilot/

It is a short script.

I added the following line:

export TZ=EST (I am in New York (Eastern Standard)) change this to your Time Zone

I added this line right before the line that calls jpilot, it is the next to last line.

Hope this helps.

Bob

gtsmith
2006-04-10, 20:49
ahhh...thank you.

beow
2006-04-15, 08:07
Jpilot offers this. I like the fact that is has calendar/todo/address/memo all from one application. Plus I was able to import from my Palm.

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalogWip#head-a337e48ced4c91c8c726893faad4f7b11f240aba

I tried to copy all my files from my linux desktop at ~/.jpilot to /home/user/.jpilot on the 770 but nothing shows up in Jpilot. Any ideas why?

:confused:

troubleshootr
2006-04-15, 11:39
I tried to copy all my files from my linux desktop at ~/.jpilot to /home/user/.jpilot on the 770 but nothing shows up in Jpilot. Any ideas why?

:confused:

check the owner of the files, make sure they are not owned by Root. I had trouble with the calendar data, but address' transfered flawlessly.

beow
2006-04-15, 13:26
Owner is user/users as seen below

-rw-rw-rw- 1 user users 0 Apr 15 10:55 DatebookDB.pc3
-rw-rw-rw- 1 user users 54155 Apr 9 13:18 DatebookDB.pdb

When i add a new entry it goes to DatebookDB.pc3 and shows up as usual. But none of the entries from DatebookDB.pdb shows up. I tried to

mv AddressbookDB.pc3 AddressbookDB.pdb

but then jpilot chrashed when switching to the Addressbook application.

Any other ideas?

Karel Jansens
2006-04-15, 14:06
Owner is user/users as seen below

-rw-rw-rw- 1 user users 0 Apr 15 10:55 DatebookDB.pc3
-rw-rw-rw- 1 user users 54155 Apr 9 13:18 DatebookDB.pdb

When i add a new entry it goes to DatebookDB.pc3 and shows up as usual. But none of the entries from DatebookDB.pdb shows up. I tried to

mv AddressbookDB.pc3 AddressbookDB.pdb

but then jpilot chrashed when switching to the Addressbook application.

Any other ideas?

Yes: get a Symbian smartphone. Psion were the first to correctly get the recurring appointment by day of the week/month/year implemented in their organiers, and Symbian is still the best.

beow
2006-04-15, 21:13
Thank's for nothing Karel :cool:

Think it has to do with broken UTF-8 handling. On my desktop databases where stored in UTF-8. I exported the databases an could import them to the 770 only if I converted the CSV files to ISO8859-1 (and set the jpilot on the 770 correspondingly in the Preferences).

Nevertheless, I'm up and running with the jpilot :)

Karel Jansens
2006-04-15, 21:43
Still, I was only half joking: I don't use the 770 as an organizer, nor have I any intention of doing so. Clearly Nokia doesn't want anyone to use it as an organizer either, or they would have added the software; it's not exactly hard to do.

Besides, why and how would I use a 770 as an organizer? The thing doesn't even have a phone on board; it doesn't "do" alarms and it's bigger than a smartphone.

Rather than wasting time and resources on making the 770 a half-arsed Palm, I'd like to see more energy spent on getting it to work smoothly with existing smartphones, which are much better tooled out as organizers.

idiotprogrammer
2006-04-26, 04:11
Ok, Karel, not everybody feels the same way you do. Not everybody possesses a smartphone either. I for one would feel uncomfortable keeping personal data on a phone. I'd rather keep my PIM data on an application that syncs with a desktop somehow.

I'm coming here after using an Axim (which was stolen). Not a fan of MS, but their PIM was incredible. Quite frankly, as much as I like the 770, the absence of basic PIM software is a major reason why I can't recommend it to many of my less geeky friends.

I am liking GPE more over time, but it's still missing several basic functions. (BTW, I filed a bug about the subject of this thread).