PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] mp4 converted.

houman
2008-03-19, 15:24
Hi all,

new user to n800.

I converted some mp4 video's I had with the Nokia converter, they all play fine from the memory card using built-in media player, but canola 2 beta 6 does not seem to play them. Is there some sort of log I can look @ and see what's going on ?

Thanks,
Houman

munky261
2008-03-19, 16:32
you are using mplayer i assume?

handful
2008-03-19, 18:34
If you have mplayer installed, canola is using them. Then the best thing is to point canola to use default media player instead. Search in the earlier treads for the one that teachs you how to do it.

the nokia converter does exactly the one case mplayer cannot handle.

Marcelo

houman
2008-03-19, 19:54
Thanks, I'll check it out.

houman
2008-03-20, 01:38
I searched but could not find a way to do this, I uninstalled mplayer and using the built-in media player for now (but it's fugly) :)

I figured I'd uninstall mplayer, then uninstall/reinstall canola, but it does not seem to use the media player, heck it only finds like couple of videos (like 2/6 in the folder).

:)

handful
2008-03-20, 14:25
This is the thread which teaches you how to do it. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=113835&highlight=canola+default+media+player+mplayer#post 113835)

BR

houman
2008-03-20, 21:25
ok, I did not have .atabake file, so I created one manually in /home/user and put those values in there, but it does not seem to work either.

I noticed the real atabake is existent /usr/bin I believe, when I looked thru it, it does not seem to read the .atabake file (I did a search in vi).

I have other problems too:

When I run Canola2 and try to browse for video files to add them into the library, I find the video folder in the root of my sd card, but it's weird how canola shows the folder icon in my ebooks or music folder, but not video, but anyways, I did check the eye and it added (supposedly the files into the library)

When I go to read one of the files it only shows 2/6 videos in that folder, is there a size limit for files (the one shown are like 500mb, rest are bigger), then when I try to play it, it just hangs canloa and I actually have to ssh to the box and kill the pid.

I noticed canola runs w/ python, I checked an my version is 2.5.1

If you need any more info from me, I could do it (including -vv debugging)

Thanks
Houman

handful
2008-03-21, 01:32
/home/user/.atabake/config (so config is actually the file )

Ebboks and music has subfolders, thus it show the "folders" icon. Your video don;t have how to go down still.. thus it doesnt show.

There's actually not a limit, but can you tell us the formats? Can you play those videos on the default media player without problems?

things you should check

a) Canola cannot play the highest resolution that the real mplayer can play. The embedded mode has this advantage.

b) Canola only plays what is playable in the platform, so no high resolutions divX or Xvids

c) Make sure you have mplayer installed if you want to play more formats.

Let me know a little bit more about the videos.

Thanks!

Marcelo

houman
2008-03-21, 03:38
Marcelo,

I use the Nokia Video Converter to convert them all (they used to mp4/h264 I believe), but I ran GSpot on the converted files and they're:

they're mpeg-4 video still but gspot could not find the codec -- maybe part of the conversion process by the nokia player (they play fine on PC or via built-in media player) ... maybe what I'll do is to just xfer my original video files and play them that way (maybe the conversion is screwing it up ? even with the Nokia Converter ?)

So yeah the converted files play fine with the default media player on the Nokia, but NOT the mplayer... I'll xfer the same files w/o the conversion now to see if they play on the device or not (they'll be a bit bigger, no biggie)

And I do not have the .atabake folder but I do have a .canola folder I found out with "ls -altr"

Cheers,
Houman

houman
2008-03-21, 04:56
Marcelo,

I uininstalled Canola2 and installed the latest Canola2 (beta 7).

I also removed all video's that were converted by Nokia Converter program for the tablet, and just xferred them directly to the SD card.

Canola 2 now can see all of them, I also have the .atabake/ with this config file:

[Media]
3gp = oms
mp4 = oms
m4a = oms
rv = oms

[Fallback]
audio = oms
video = mplayer
general = mplayer

[Other]
version = 0.1.3

The only problem, is that these play kinda w/ a stutter... I did run a GSpot on the video files and they're:

Video / Audio / Resolution / Bitrate
Xvid 1.1.2 / mpeg 1 layer 3 / 640x272 / 697k
Xvid 1.0.3 / mpeg 1 layer 3 / 672x268 / 728k
Xvid 1.0.2 / AC3 / 533x320 / 861k

Cheers,
Houman

houman
2008-03-21, 05:10
you know what, I read some more, and this seems to be mplayer related, so thank you for all your help... I just installed the media converted from mplayer page, I'll play some more w/ it.

Anyways, Thanks for this great App.

And maybe in the next world cup, I'd root for Brazil this time instead of France :)

Houman

handful
2008-03-21, 08:51
:) nice :)
I'm not into soccer that much... but I guess the other team members would like it ;)

Marcelo

rickyb
2008-03-26, 17:36
Hi all,

new user to n800.

I converted some mp4 video's I had with the Nokia converter,
Houman

I am getting stuttering when I try to copy my mp4 files off of my pc to my N810. I was wondering if maybe the Nokia converter that you mentioned may help. Where is the converter located? And do you think this may be my problem in the first place? I have converted avi files and flv files with no trouble in the past but my pre-existing mp4 files recorded off my Sanyo Xacti SD video recorder (which I could run on my pc with no trouble) will not run without severely stuttering using my N810 with either the media player or mplayer. All other video files work fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

houman
2008-03-26, 20:00
Try using this: http://xoomer.alice.it/sepaolo/n800vc/

works pretty nice for me... now I can watch LoTR Extended on my n800 :)

rickyb
2008-03-26, 21:39
Never mind, I found the Nokia video converter program and installed it on my pc...it works great. I'm all set. I googled it and it came up. It works for 80% of my mp4s but doesn't recognize other mp4s...doesn't make sense to me...but I guess 80% is better than nothing.

vbrilon
2008-03-26, 21:45
Never mind, I found the Nokia video converter program and installed it on my pc...it works great. I'm all set. I googled it and it came up. It works for 80% of my mp4s but doesn't recognize other mp4s...doesn't make sense to me...but I guess 80% is better than nothing.

Are you using Nokia's Video Converter (see my sig) or the one that just uses Nokia in the name (the one from the .it site)? If it's the former, I'd like to get some details around why we can't convert 20% of your files

rickyb
2008-03-26, 23:16
Are you using Nokia's Video Converter (see my sig) or the one that just uses Nokia in the name (the one from the .it site)? If it's the former, I'd like to get some details around why we can't convert 20% of your files

No I am using the Nokia converter. And I have no idea why those 20% are not converting *** they are the exact format as the files that did convert.

rickyb
2008-03-26, 23:18

Hold on after checking out your url, I found that was the one I was using. Sorry about that.

rickyb
2008-03-26, 23:22
Some facts about the files I tried to convert:

1. They were all created through the same Sanyo Xacti into mp4 files.
2. They were all roughly the same size however some were larger than others yet it didn't seem to matter.
3. After attempting to convert about 18 files, about 4 of those did had the following error: "Unknown file type, unable to convert." or something similar to that nature.

vbrilon
2008-03-27, 05:28
That's weird. There's gotta be something different with those 4 files. Can you post a bug at https://bugs.maemo.org about this? And if you can generate a small video that won't convert properly, attach it to the bug report. I am also not familiar with Xacti, so maybe that has something to do with it.