PDA

View Full Version : Which Bluetooth keyboards work?

Banner
2006-04-14, 05:59
Okay, I'm looking for some sort of small portable bluetooth keyboard for my 770, one that works using the application on Maemo. Ideally I want it to be qwerty, have all 4 rows of keys, and NOT have the period and comma swapped (I'm a touch typist).

What keyboards can you folks recommend? (I'd prefer something under a hundred bucks if possible please!).
Thanks!

Coolty
2006-04-14, 06:14
I believe there is already a thread on this....
use the search button before you post :D

mschoen
2006-04-14, 07:27
Just hire someone with really small fingers to type on the 770 screen keyboard ;)

kutibah
2006-04-14, 23:09
I use a Freedom Mini Bluetooth Keyboard. It has all 4 sets of keys, a 4 directional tab (arrows), an Escape button, and most normal buttons. The only problem is that you have to hit the 2nd key (Num) to access characters such as comma and period. But ALL letters are typed without the Num key. It's $60, but I got a new one from eBay last week for only $40 ;)

http://www.freedominput.com/mainsite/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=4&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Banner
2006-04-15, 06:18
I believe there is already a thread on this....
use the search button before you post :D
Actually I went through that entire thread and while there was a lot of discussions about BT keyboards, there was very little there to answer my question.

I've looked at the stowaways, -but- they have the comma and period swapped (huh? Why?) and several others only have three rows of keys (no number row).

Banner
2006-04-15, 06:21
I use a Freedom Mini Bluetooth Keyboard. It has all 4 sets of keys, a 4 directional tab (arrows), an Escape button, and most normal buttons. The only problem is that you have to hit the 2nd key (Num) to access characters such as comma and period. But ALL letters are typed without the Num key. It's $60, but I got a new one from eBay last week for only $40 ;)

http://www.freedominput.com/mainsite/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=4&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Don't they have a full size picture so you can see what the key layouts are? All they have is that tiny picture....

fpp
2006-04-15, 13:41
I've looked at the stowaways, -but- they have the comma and period swapped (huh? Why?)
Don't let small layout quirks on a keyboard that you otherwise like stop you : it's very easy to swap back a couple of keys with xmodmap.

Karel Jansens
2006-04-15, 14:00
Actually I went through that entire thread and while there was a lot of discussions about BT keyboards, there was very little there to answer my question.

I've looked at the stowaways, -but- they have the comma and period swapped (huh? Why?) and several others only have three rows of keys (no number row).

The Think Outside keyboards work perfectly now. I upgraded to the 0.4 BT driver and my German QWERTZ keyboard is now completely functional, question mark and all.

Also, Think Outside (which, IIRC, is the former Stowaway) does not have the period and the comma swapped -- at least not on my keyboard.

kutibah
2006-04-15, 16:08
Don't they have a full size picture so you can see what the key layouts are? All they have is that tiny picture....
I'm sure this is big enough ;)

http://www.freedominput.com/style/hi-res-pict/mini/mini-on-card.jpg

Banner
2006-04-15, 18:52
I'm sure this is big enough ;)

Thanks! I couldn't find a larger image myself, I appreciate it.

kutibah
2006-04-15, 21:56
Thanks! I couldn't find a larger image myself, I appreciate it.
You're welcome! Hope it helped.

luminaix
2006-04-19, 20:37
I am still waiting for the eleksen bluetooth fabric keyboard to come out :cool:

http://www.eleksen.com/index.asp?page=products/wirelesskeyboard/keyboard_2.asp

c_legaspi
2006-04-20, 03:24
that freedom keyboad is pretty neat, going to have to get one

Fifer
2006-04-27, 14:11
Note that the Freedom Mini does not work out of the box. You have to remap keys which requires root and a bit of mucking around.

kutibah
2006-04-27, 14:46
Note that the Freedom Mini does not work out of the box. You have to remap keys which requires root and a bit of mucking around.
I don't know why yours has to do that. For me, it worked straight out of the box.

Fifer
2006-05-01, 20:44
I don't know why yours has to do that. For me, it worked straight out of the box.
That's weird. I bought mine ages ago and any attempt to use the 'Num' key generated a series of odd characters. I set it aside, intending to remap it when I figured out what needed doing but never got round to it. All I've done differently since then is updated to the new firmware. I tried the keyboard when I read your response and it works perfectly. I'm confused, but happy ...

TCM
2006-05-01, 20:54
I have been using a "FrogPad" bluetooth keyboard (www.frogpad.com) right out of the box-

It works quite well - albeit a one-handed keyboard. A one-handed keyboard allows me to hold the 770 in one hand and type with the other hand. At a coffee shop I am able to place the frogpad on my lap and keep the 770 in my left hand (and held closer to my eyes). Also, this allows me to avoid attracting the attention of others...

Hope that helps.

kutibah
2006-05-01, 23:02
That's weird. I bought mine ages ago and any attempt to use the 'Num' key generated a series of odd characters. I set it aside, intending to remap it when I figured out what needed doing but never got round to it. All I've done differently since then is updated to the new firmware. I tried the keyboard when I read your response and it works perfectly. I'm confused, but happy ...
Yes, That occurs only when writing into a text box such as this. But for GAIM, NotePad, URL Bar, and most other text boxes it's fine.

Fifer
2006-05-02, 07:12
Ah, so nothing has changed for me, I've just entered text in a different entry point. Why should/does the keyboard react differently on bulletin board text fields and is there a fix?

djs_tx
2006-05-02, 12:30
I have been using a "FrogPad" bluetooth keyboard (www.frogpad.com) right out of the box-

It works quite well - albeit a one-handed keyboard. A one-handed keyboard allows me to hold the 770 in one hand and type with the other hand. At a coffee shop I am able to place the frogpad on my lap and keep the 770 in my left hand (and held closer to my eyes). Also, this allows me to avoid attracting the attention of others...

Hope that helps.
I'm biased (I work with frogpad) but it was my experience with frogpad + 770 that made me pursue working with the company. It is a very nice combination once you go up the frogpad learning curve.

The frogpad + 770 is a pocketable package that is a little thick but comparable to the smallest notebooks. When you use it, it is better than a notebook because your keyboard and screen are not physically tied together. You don't have to be cramped trying to keep a tiny screen aligned in sight while pecking at an oddly placed tiny keyboard.

You hold the 770 in your hand or set it on its cradle and you put the keyboard wherever you want and type away.

I like it so much I'm talking to the CEO to get some custom cases built that would hold a frogpad and a Nokia 770 together and slip in your pocket.
David