PDA

View Full Version : [KDE] KDE problems

ArgentSilver
2008-03-23, 12:40
So here are my two critical issues that are the only things standing in the way of KDE on my n800:

1. The kdesu window that pops up when you try to change config stuff. To try to get by that, I went into a terminal window as root and actually set a root password. I verified that you can go into a normal terminal and issue an su command and get to the root prompt with it. But when that password is entered into the kdesu window, the window just freezes and you can't get any further. This is critical because KDE is displaying the wrong time on the taskbar (presumably a timezone config problem?), but you can't get into the config to fix it.

2. The right-click problem that I mentioned in another thread. You really need to be able to right-click in KDE, but the solution suggested by Penguinbait and PinCushionQueen (awk script assigned to a hotkey) doesn't work quite right for me. It toggles one way to turn on right-click, but won't toggle back.

I was using KDE from Penguinbait's "easy install", so I am not dual booting from MMC.

PinCushionQueen
2008-03-23, 16:16
1. Not sure what you're talking about in regards to a KDEsu window - do you mean the red Root xterm window? Regardless you don't need to change any config file in order to adjust the time and or time zones for the clock on the desktop. Instead, tap just to the left of the clock itself on the taskbar. This should cause a vertical white checkered line to appear & if you tap again at the very tip of that line a menu for the clock will appear. Another alternative is to right click on the clock and you'll get the same menu.

2. As for why your Right Click doesn't toggle back to a left click - well the only thing I can think of is a typo. Have you tried the SED script that I posted in that other thread? That's the script I'm personally using - although there shouldn't be a difference between the two. Someone else also posted a third alternative script that might fix your issue - although I haven't tried it out personally. I would recommend copying the text from that thread and pasting it directly into a KWrite/KEdit document to ensure it's exactly as is posted. One more thought - sometimes it does take a few tries to get the toggle to retutn to Left click from Right click, so have you tried several times?

FYI - IMHO, it's not absolutely necessary to Right click to be able to use KDE - with a very few exceptions (I can only think of one but there might be others) there are alternate ways of doing everything that a Right click provides. I very seldom use right click at all.

ArgentSilver
2008-03-26, 16:46
1. Not sure what you're talking about in regards to a KDEsu window - do you mean the red Root xterm window? Regardless you don't need to change any config file in order to adjust the time and or time zones for the clock on the desktop. Instead, tap just to the left of the clock itself on the taskbar. This should cause a vertical white checkered line to appear & if you tap again at the very tip of that line a menu for the clock will appear. Another alternative is to right click on the clock and you'll get the same menu.

No, I don't mean the red xterm window. The KDE clock was reading 5 hours back from my actual time. Presumably a time zone issue. But to go into those control panel settings, a kdesu window pops open for password to get to administrator mode. It wouldn't work. But since then I uninstalled and reinstalled KDE and it works now. So that problem is solved. But, FYI, to change the time, even from the white checkered line, it takes going through that kdesu window.

2. As for why your Right Click doesn't toggle back to a left click - well the only thing I can think of is a typo. Have you tried the SED script that I posted in that other thread? That's the script I'm personally using - although there shouldn't be a difference between the two. Someone else also posted a third alternative script that might fix your issue - although I haven't tried it out personally. I would recommend copying the text from that thread and pasting it directly into a KWrite/KEdit document to ensure it's exactly as is posted. One more thought - sometimes it does take a few tries to get the toggle to retutn to Left click from Right click, so have you tried several times?
It's not a typo (I did the copy/paste), and I've tried the toggle back over and over and over umpteen times. However, I haven't tried the sed script yet, so that's next.

FYI - IMHO, it's not absolutely necessary to Right click to be able to use KDE - with a very few exceptions (I can only think of one but there might be others) there are alternate ways of doing everything that a Right click provides. I very seldom use right click at all.
It may not be absolutely necessary, but it's a royal pain without right-click. And you have to know or flounder around to figure out the alternate ways.

Nevertheless, I'm sticking with it, because for me, KDE probably means the difference between staying with the n800 or dumping it for something else. All hail the Mighty Penguinbait! ;-)