PDA

View Full Version : [KDE] KDE and Upgrading

Machster
2008-03-23, 21:18
Maybe Penguinbait can answer this?

Just anticipating an eventual upgrade to OS2008 and/or KDE. Since KDE stores some files on the SD card, will there be a shortcut to restoring KDE (with settings) in the event of an OS upgrade or a KDE upgrade? Or must it be completely uninstalled then reinstalled?

kitsu
2008-03-24, 16:05
Hmmm, I don't know for sure, but most of your configuration should be stored in your home directory. There should be a bunch of hidden files in '/home/user/' or something like that. If you save the files somehow you should be able to restore your settings no matter what. Only major changes in KDE version number should effect the format or contents of the settings files (i.e. changing from KDE 3.* to KDE 4.*).

PinCushionQueen
2008-03-24, 17:31
I think it might depend on how you installed KDE (boot from MMC vs .deb install) I am booting from MMC so the last time I updated KDE I was able to install the new version right over the top of the existing version. Before I started the upgrade I renamed my /home/user/.kde folder to /home/user/.kde-old. Then after upgrading I was able to move most of my configurations from the .kde-old to the new .kde folder and the majority of my settings.

Machster
2008-03-25, 00:33
Unfortunately, after numerous tries, I have not been able to arrange to boot from MMC. So I have installed KDE using the .debs. When I last upgraded the OS I was not able to reinstall KDE without totally deleting all the files on the SD card. Using the restore function did not seem to restore the ones for KDE.

Just looking for a way to circumvent the rather long reinstall process. It seems the only way is to keep the settings is to manually make a copy the /home/user/.kde folder.

penguinbait
2008-03-31, 14:20
Well if you are upgrading the OS, then backing up the .kde .qt .kvirc and perhaps some others would work just fine. Reload kde and replace the dirs with the ones you backed up.

This will not work for KDE updates though. If you want the latest KDE updates from me, its a rip and replace.