PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770 5.2006.13-7 Software Update Now Available

aflegg
2006-04-20, 13:27
http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-announce/2006-April/000025.html

Despite the confusing version number of 5.2006.13-7 this is still the 2005 OS.

Still no changelog :-(

newsbot
2006-04-20, 13:31
It has just been announced at Maemo.org that the
Nokia 770 5.2006.13-7 software update is now available.

To download the update, you need to enter your Nokia 770`s 12-digit
product ID located under the battery of the device on the software update
page. To check what OS version you currenlty have or verify if the update
is successful, you need to tap the icon on the task navigator, and
select Control panel > Device > About product.

As with the previous updates, there is no included list of changes/fixes.
If you notice any drastic improvemements or even minor changes that is
worth mentioning, please reply to this thread...Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/174)

ploum
2006-04-20, 13:57
I'm using Ubuntu as my desktop. Is there any instructions on how to upgrade ?

After reinstalling them, will my applications still work correctly ? (Most important for me is GPE-calendar)

jussik
2006-04-20, 14:09
ploum: http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HOWTO_FlashLatestNokiaImageWithLinux

Reggie
2006-04-20, 14:12
A note of caution. Yes, everything will get deleted on your 770. There's a thread on how to backup data. Let me try to find it.

gesteves
2006-04-20, 14:46
It now makes a very annoying sound when you put the cover and the wifi shuts down.

gnuite
2006-04-20, 14:53
It now makes a very annoying sound when you put the cover and the wifi shuts down.

Different from the sound it made in previous versions?

gesteves
2006-04-20, 14:55
I don't recall it making any sounds when I put the cover with the previous version.

jayholler
2006-04-20, 15:07
is anyone seeing any benefit to using this image?

trefiches
2006-04-20, 15:30
I haven't redone the swap/root filesystem mod on the new release yet, but I can already say this: Opera is snappier now even without the mod. It's pretty amazing on CNN's bloat-site. Video Player loads files faster and seems to hold audio sync, which is a nice change. So far, so good...

PS Yes, it makes a sound with the cover when WiFi is left on. It's not particularly loud or unpleasant to my ears.

andymulhearn
2006-04-20, 15:39
I don't recall it making any sounds when I put the cover with the previous version.

Mine's always made a kind of whooshing sound (sorry, that's the best way I can describe it) when closing the cover.

forge
2006-04-20, 15:41

Yes, as the other one already mentioned. Opera works just beatifully now. I tried all the most bloated sites i could find. cnn.com, tv.com, revogaming.net, irc.fi (finnish irc-user website). All of them loaded really nicely, no hickups, and yes, without the swap addon :)

Of course, things might be because the os is new, there isnt nothing to choke the OS.

One problem i found when browsing irc.fi, the page does something funny and it loads about 10 flash ads in at the bottom, this doesnt happen with firefox with me. So i guess opera renders the page wrong or then the web-page tries to do something funny.

I did my testing with using Wlan and Linksys router. No problems setting that up. I even listened music and browsed the web with multiple browser windows open at the same time without any problems.

Although, with 3 windows open (with heavy web-pages) and music playing i got a mention that memory is low. But i think that's pretty nice still :)

Reggie
2006-04-20, 15:46
Anyone notice if the opera browser version changed? Does it now load Google Calendar? lol

forge
2006-04-20, 16:01
Anyone notice if the opera browser version changed? Does it now load Google Calendar? lol

Conserning the opera, i dont know where to dig up the version info, and the flash is still version 6 i believe.

So no video.google.com, www.youtube.com nor any of google's special services (calendar etc).

NokNok770
2006-04-20, 16:02
Er...I don't see any improvements so far. I did experience the annoying sound when you close the case, the sound only comes on if you had internet connection. I guess this sound verifies that your internet connection has been terminated. Before mine didn't do that.

I don't see what's so hard about listing what the update to the OS is, what's up with Nokia. If we know what it is we can better decided if we want to update the OS or not.

ragnar
2006-04-20, 16:47
Try the PDF viewer. :) It's dramatically faster.

My test pdf file, which in previous versions took about 40 seconds to switch a page, takes now about 3 seconds...

jaycee
2006-04-20, 16:52
Er...I don't see any improvements so far. I did experience the annoying sound when you close the case, the sound only comes on if you had internet connection. I guess this sound verifies that your internet connection has been terminated. Before mine didn't do that. Mine did. I was on the latest release. Both the sound and a wifi/BT connection had to be turned on.

If those were both on, then closing the case resulted in a descending wooshy sound.

I seem to recall that this happened on previous releases - perhaps you've not had the sound on so much with previous releases? Don't know /why/ this would have been the case ... :-)

Cheers,
Jonathan

jaycee
2006-04-20, 16:55
Of course, things might be because the os is new, there isnt nothing to choke the OS. I've got to disagree with you here - I really haven't found that the 770 slows down with age at /all/. Yes, there's the "/var/log/wtmp/" issue, but nothing else I can recall.

Ooo - can anyone with the new version check the size of /var/log/wtmp? Close&open the case a few times then re-examine it - has it grown at all?

Cheers,
Jonathan

bertlmike
2006-04-20, 16:58
Anyone else having problems with their desktop-clock-plugin and clock application? The desktop plugin is off by 3 hours, and the application doesn't adjust the time according to the selected city, allthough time and timezone are set correctly.

forge
2006-04-20, 17:13
I've got to disagree with you here - I really haven't found that the 770 slows down with age at /all/. Yes, there's the "/var/log/wtmp/" issue, but nothing else I can recall.

Ooo - can anyone with the new version check the size of /var/log/wtmp? Close&open the case a few times then re-examine it - has it grown at all?

Cheers,
Jonathan

Sup,

I just tried it, i have the newest OS and only xchat + x terminal installed. And i found that they have turned everything that logs anything off.

There isn't any log files in /var/log. So atleast this is resolved.

DaScud
2006-04-20, 17:16
Anyone else having problems with their desktop-clock-plugin and clock application? The desktop plugin is off by 3 hours, and the application doesn't adjust the time according to the selected city, allthough time and timezone are set correctly.

Yep. I have the same problem. The clock is off by exactly 3 hrs.
Opera definitely seems much snappier. I havent played around with other apps to see if there is any improvement. I think my bootup times seem slightly faster as well. Not sure if it is because of all the apps and changes that i had on the previous version as compared to this completely new image.

DaScud

konttori
2006-04-20, 17:40
Also, music player allows multifile selection.
Email hasn't crashed yet and seems a bit faster.
Still not comparable to sylpheed though.

andrew
2006-04-20, 17:54
Font rendering seems to be generally speeded up - the 'about' dialog used to take a few seconds to show, and now it's instant, and PDFs are quite quick to change pages.

The other thing is that bookmarks now show up in the web menu immediately; before I had to reboot for changes to appear there, although this may have just been me.

trefiches
2006-04-20, 18:05
Yep. I have the same problem. The clock is off by exactly 3 hrs.
Opera definitely seems much snappier. I havent played around with other apps to see if there is any improvement. I think my bootup times seem slightly faster as well. Not sure if it is because of all the apps and changes that i had on the previous version as compared to this completely new image.

DaScud

Yeah, my clock is off by 3 as well. o0ps! :o

maurice
2006-04-20, 19:03
I had problems with the clock too. I found that changing the settings in the clock application was not being picked up by the clock applet on the top level screen.

maurice
2006-04-20, 19:16
The control panel applet that reports memory usage for internal and MMC memory is not reporting the usage on the MMC card, although the card works fine in file manager. Instead of reporting the memory card usage it incorrectly says that the USB connection prevents reporting usage.

phi
2006-04-20, 19:20
i tried restoring after I reflashed, and re-extended my root file system and it threw me an error and reset. Strangely enough though, all my programs and settings are there even though it only restored 26%.

michaelalanjones
2006-04-20, 20:05
Say, have any of you that put the new OS on, tried http://calendar.google.com? I am at work and let the cable at home.

elwood
2006-04-20, 20:15
Say, have any of you that put the new OS on, tried http://calendar.google.com? I am at work and let the cable at home.

Seems not to work. I get a browser not supported message.

zuti
2006-04-20, 21:42

3.2005.51-13
Opera version 8.02 internal, build 1.0.88

5.2006.13-7

kutibah
2006-04-20, 23:28
I just flashed the new image. The only thing I noticed was that when I start up, it's in Root mode? I thought reflashing disables root mode and you'd have to enable it via flasher again? Or does this mean that Nokia finally gave us Root default?

Linear2202
2006-04-20, 23:32
Even when reflashing, root mode is still enabled. I've had to reflash a couple of times after was enabled and it's still enabled after the flash.

Sounds like this an update that is worth having. I'm looking forward to it.

jayholler
2006-04-20, 23:53
is anyone else having issues when running wolfram's extrootfs script to setup the symbolic links to the mmc card?

kutibah
2006-04-21, 00:19
Even if this update doesn't give you any visual changes, it still definately should have bug fixes which is great no matter what since the Nokia 770 is very buggy at times. I think everyone should update.

DaScud
2006-04-21, 00:34
Even if this update doesn't give you any visual changes, it still definately should have bug fixes which is great no matter what since the Nokia 770 is very buggy at times. I think everyone should update.

I am not very sure if this image is worth updating. I havent noticed anything and if any my browser which almost never crashed before died on me a couple of times today.
The clock is 3 hrs ahead of the actual time and when you click on mmc under memory from the control panel it shows that it cant read the mmc since its connected to usb or something to that effect. I think it may be worthwhile holding on to the update esp if the new release with VoIP and PIM etc is just round the corner :)

It would definitely help if the maemo developers released a summary of changes.

DaScud

kutibah
2006-04-21, 00:53
I am not very sure if this image is worth updating. I havent noticed anything and if any my browser which almost never crashed before died on me a couple of times today.
The clock is 3 hrs ahead of the actual time and when you click on mmc under memory from the control panel it shows that it cant read the mmc since its connected to usb or something to that effect. I think it may be worthwhile holding on to the update esp if the new release with VoIP and PIM etc is just round the corner :)

It would definitely help if the maemo developers released a summary of changes.

DaScud
I haven't experienced anything you just said. The MMC has always said that you can't view it if it's connected to a USB cable. The browser is working fine for me. And my clock is the same as it always has been since I used the Restore Settings feature on the 770. To me, this firmware update is much smoother and faster than the last one and file manager and similar programs open quicker. Just my 2 cents...

DaScud
2006-04-21, 01:01
clicking on the mmc from the control panel gives the error even if you DONT have a usb cable connected. I guess i should have had the better sense to backup my previous settings. There have been numerous ppl who have encountered the "clock forward" problem. I just think it may be better to put off updating till the reports (good and bad) file in. Of course its not a big deal as one can always reflash back to the older image.

DaScud

kbellve
2006-04-21, 01:30
I am having trouble updating...

Windows XP using the Nokia cable (usb cable).

As soon as I boot the 770 with the home button pressed, windows says it is a unrecognized USB device.

I have already updated the device twice before and now it is running the root enabled version from December.

I might have to try using Linux to update the device.

kutibah
2006-04-21, 01:32
I am having trouble updating...

Windows XP using the Nokia cable (usb cable).

As soon as I boot the 770 with the home button pressed, windows says it is a unrecognized USB device.

I have already updated the device twice before and now it is running the root enabled version from December.

I might have to try using Linux to update the device.
Yes, I have that problem sometimes too. It has to do with it malfunctioning with that certain USB port. For me, it wouldn't work on 2 USB ports in the front of the PC. I then tried it in the back USB port and it worked fine. Try a different USB port and see if that helps.

Or you can use Linux like you said.

kutibah
2006-04-21, 01:33
clicking on the mmc from the control panel gives the error even if you DONT have a usb cable connected. I guess i should have had the better sense to backup my previous settings. There have been numerous ppl who have encountered the "clock forward" problem. I just think it may be better to put off updating till the reports (good and bad) file in. Of course its not a big deal as one can always reflash back to the older image.

DaScud
Hmm. That's weird. It works fine for me. And yeah, I ALWAYS backup the settings so I don't have to re-enter my network WEP, set up my phone, bookmarks, preferences, etc....

troubleshootr
2006-04-21, 01:37
My clock was OK till I set the home city from the default (London) to my home city (New York). Now it is 3 hours off. If I set back to London, the time remains 3 hours off. It also will not allow the Daylight Saving Zone check box to be checked. I had no trouble with MMC in Control Panel. Perhaps there is a problem for those of you with muliple partitions on your MMC?

Mark S
2006-04-21, 02:25
I tell you what is incredibly frustrating about this device. I am an average person - a novice with computers. I figure . . . . hmm.... maybe I will try out this new image to see if I can run outlook web access, which does not work on the device now for me.

I poke around this site and there are no instructions that I can understand on how to do whatever I need to do. Why can't someone just make a file that I download and open on my windows pc when connected to my 770 that just does its thing to the 770.

I downloaded the image and the "flasher utlilty" but these appear to be incompatible with windows xp. I am at a loss.

I still occassionally use the 770 to browse the net from my bed, but it is basically a paperweight to me because the opera browser is limited and there is no software that is useful for me at this time.

It is a cool little device that will never succeed unless a dummy like me can at least install the new o/s when released. How about some simple instructions Nokia . . . . GEEZ!!

Hedgecore
2006-04-21, 02:34
This was frustrating. Half the time it wouldn't go into USB host mode and when it did, it'd freeze at 10%. I removed the RSMMC card on a hunch and lo and behold the update worked. It's booting now.

Mark S: You need to download the windows flasher. There should be a link to it from the wiki here or on www.maemo.org (Sorry I'm pressed for time and can't find a link). Run the windows flasher and eventually it'll tell you to prepare the 770. Hold down the home button and turn your 770 on and you should see a little USB logo within 5 seconds. Pick the image you want to use (the 58MB file you downloaded (link in the first post here by aflegg)) and it'll reflash.

You can't do it with a standard USB connection because the OS is already booted... kind of like trying to reinstall windows when you're already in it.

tdjohnson
2006-04-21, 02:44
Not having release notes is stupid. I don't care if it is open source, do they not know what they intended to change?

Maybe this is what Nokia thinks is "cool", but consumers want to know whether to update BEFORE updating.

Rats.

kbellve
2006-04-21, 02:55
Opera browser and its flash plugin does seem to blow chunks...closely followed by the video player. Why didn't they use firefox, thunderbird and mplayer? I suppose they wanted to save the nickle on the extra memory those programs might have needed.

Removing the rs-mmc and changing which usb port I used doesn't help.

Will use Linux later to update the 770 but why should a consumer resort to Linux to update this device?

Why don't they use something lke yum or apt with a GUI interface? It tells you a software update is available with the changes, do you want to update. Instead, it is one big binary which overwrites everything that you have customized.

mschoen
2006-04-21, 03:31
Im not updating. ;P

ajmaravilla
2006-04-21, 03:41
Does anyone know if this update will have the fix to pair the unit to Windows Mobile?

Linear2202
2006-04-21, 04:05
I updated, but when I restore my backup, it goes into a reboot loop. :(

Any thoughts anyone?

NokNok770
2006-04-21, 04:26
An update that wipes out all the previous programs, doesn't seem to improve anything much, and frustrate users? Thanks nokia...why don't you give us something tangible. We've been waiting long enough we deserve a little more than that.

NokNok770
2006-04-21, 04:36
The one thing I found positive about the update is that I'm able to select multiple files. Only if you start with an unhighlighted file. I'm now able to add multiple mp3s to the audio player by dragging the files. It was a pain adding one by one before.

rickg17
2006-04-21, 04:48
Hey everyone... I noticed some "why isn't this easier" complaints above. Well, remember this ISN'T an update that's posted on the Nokia site yet. I think if you're visiting here it's kind of assumed that you're savier than your average user. Now, when Nokia updates the main support pages, I'm guessing they'll do what they did in December, which was to provide a link to a Windows update utility, and clear instructions. Until then, we might all want to just chill... :cool:

anderbr
2006-04-21, 04:55
Lets see -

You get an update from an opensource dev website with no changelog (or any other mention I found except for mailing list ) install it without question & then gripe about it? Bug reports, share your experiences sure, but if you aren't willing to hang it out a bit, best to wait for official post on Nokia site.

Linear2202
2006-04-21, 05:05
Well, it appears to be something in the "settings" section of the backup that causes the problem. I even tried going back to the last release and loading the backup, and the same result. So, I even tried one back up before that, and same thing. *sigh*

So, I can get most thing, but I do lose all of my newsfeeds. Sadly, that was one of my biggest uses of the device.

konttori
2006-04-21, 06:10
Well, it appears to be something in the "settings" section of the backup that causes the problem. I even tried going back to the last release and loading the backup, and the same result. So, I even tried one back up before that, and same thing. *sigh*

So, I can get most thing, but I do lose all of my newsfeeds. Sadly, that was one of my biggest uses of the device.

this is just a guess, but if you had a theme installed, you need to re-install it before restoring.

rattis
2006-04-21, 07:25
3.2005.51-13

5.2006.13-7

where did you find that information. I spent about a half hour between meetings today trying to find it.

jaycee
2006-04-21, 08:24
The one thing I found positive about the update is that I'm able to select multiple files. Only if you start with an unhighlighted file. I'm now able to add multiple mp3s to the audio player by dragging the files. It was a pain adding one by one before.Umm .. I've not updated yet (I've got the previous version installed) and I can already do that. It all depends, as you say, on you starting pressing&dragging on a non-highlighted file.

Jonathan

9a6or
2006-04-21, 08:55
The update is public now on Nokia's website. No changelog though...

milen
2006-04-21, 09:09
Just updated using Windows wizard. Everything seems fine for now. Backup - Restore went good, no problem with the clock.

Invicta
2006-04-21, 09:12
The update is public now on Nokia's website. No changelog though...
Version on Nokias's website is 5.2006.13-17.
Version on maemo website is 5.2006.13-7.

Do I need to update again?

gusgriller
2006-04-21, 09:18
No problems with my upgrade either.
I didn't bother with a backup/restore as all my data was on the the mmc card, and out of the many programs that I had installed, I only really use one and that's vnc viewer.
So it took me less than 5 minutes to set everything back up again after the upgrade.

So far, I haven't noticed that much different. I've had one lock up with the browser which required a reboot. Is it just me, or does the keyboard look ever so slightly different ? Oh yes, I have a problem with the Shift key ... now it seems stuck so that after hitting a letter it doesn't revert to lowercase. Anyone else noticed that ?

youngfiles
2006-04-21, 09:24
Those with the new (-17) image, is root still enabled?

gusgriller, where/what app are you typing in when you get the shift error?

youngfiles
2006-04-21, 09:30
Anyone else have problems with the wifi searching coming up empty half the time? (even in the same room with the router) I am using the -7 image

gusgriller
2006-04-21, 09:32
gusgriller, where/what app are you typing in when you get the shift error?

Inside the browser. eg. typing something into google search. However it doesn't happen if entering a URL, or within the Notes app.

Also just noticed it happens inside VNC Viewer as well.

blazer
2006-04-21, 09:38
Version on Nokias's website is 5.2006.13-17.
Version on maemo website is 5.2006.13-7.

Do I need to update again?

Both files are named Nokia_770_SE2005_5_2006_13_7.bin,
so i guess the -17 is only misspelled...

A diff between both binaries might reveal the answer.

9a6or
2006-04-21, 09:39
The Nokia site writes about version 5.2006.13-17 (April 18, 2006) but once you type in the Product ID and get to the download page, it writes about Nokia_770_SE2005_5_2006_13_7.bin and in fact that is the file we can download. I guess "17" was a mistype.

9a6or
2006-04-21, 10:03
How long does the Windows update take? The progress bar has been on 10% for quite some time...

gusgriller
2006-04-21, 10:08
How long does the Windows update take? The progress bar has been on 10% for quite some time...

I didn't time my update, but I would guess it took about 2-3 minutes in total. The progress bar moved smoothly during that time, so if you're stuck on 10% then I would imagine you have "encountered a problem".

Nickster
2006-04-21, 10:10
It seems more stable, but still not quite stable enough - already had one crash.

The "buffering" window which appears when loading a new MP3 in the Audio Player now doesn't grab focus or get displayed if the Audio Player doesn't have focus, which is good as it often got in the way of web browsing using the navigation wheel.

They STILL haven't enabled sending the HTTP_REFERRER field by default in opera!

Is it me, but is root-enabled mode slower than normal mode? I used it for the first time after flashing. Once I've done my twiddling I might switch R&D mode off.

Spooky seeing the it was Andrew Flegg who wrote and hosts the Nokia 770 version of Vim - his bleb.org TV listings site is incredibly useful. Andrew, if you're reading this, do you know where I can download Vim from whilst you're recovering the bleb.org site? I foolishly didn't keep a local copy, and editing config files using cat and sed is a painful experience ;)

After a few hours' use, I can't see any show-stoppers yet. Will know more after a few weeks' use, of course.

9a6or
2006-04-21, 10:14
Thanks gusgriller, doing it now second time and it does go smoothly. The detection of the Nokia as an Update Device might have interrupted the process??

zuti
2006-04-21, 10:15
where did you find that information. I spent about a half hour between meetings today trying to find it.

Just browse to opera:about.

Invicta
2006-04-21, 10:20
Both files are named Nokia_770_SE2005_5_2006_13_7.bin,
so i guess the -17 is only misspelled...

A diff between both binaries might reveal the answer.
I downloaded both files and did md5 check for them. They are same files and -17 version number on Nokia's website is mistake.

9a6or
2006-04-21, 10:33
Hmmm... I'm a first time re-flasher, I didn't know that the Backup did not store all the Extras (ie. downloaded applications from maemo.org).

Hedgecore
2006-04-21, 10:49
Perhaps the absence of release notes will give Nokia the benefit of 'voodoo' changes. I notice everything running a lot smoother (the first thing I did was reinstall about 20 apps). When typing the unit seems a lot more responsive. Is it? Or am I just imagining it? Either way, I perceive it so I'm happy. Opera chokes a lot less it appears though I haven't put it through the wringer.

I've been keeping an eye on the gripes and complaints... I'm truly starting believe that people won't be happy until they cram a full fledged laptop into the 770's form factor and it runs XP but the boot screen only says Linux. It's got it's problems, but I think they pale in comparison to the ones we're used to and have grown to accept on a daily basis. Like the fact once I rebooted my stupid XP box and had NO problems with flashing afterward. You can't blame the dog's tail if the head ate your slippers.

gusgriller
2006-04-21, 11:18
Can anyone else confirm that the shift key seems to stick when typing inside a browser window or the VNC viewer app. I was wondering it it was just a setting somewhere that I have missed, or is it a bug that has been introduced in this upgrade ?

Nickster
2006-04-21, 11:49
It used to randomly stick for me: the letters on the keyboard would appear lower case, but the letters I typed would appear in upper case.

kutibah
2006-04-21, 12:25
Those with the new (-17) image, is root still enabled?
Yes, it's still enabled.

kutibah
2006-04-21, 12:27
Perhaps the absence of release notes will give Nokia the benefit of 'voodoo' changes. I notice everything running a lot smoother (the first thing I did was reinstall about 20 apps). When typing the unit seems a lot more responsive. Is it? Or am I just imagining it? Either way, I perceive it so I'm happy. Opera chokes a lot less it appears though I haven't put it through the wringer.

I've been keeping an eye on the gripes and complaints... I'm truly starting believe that people won't be happy until they cram a full fledged laptop into the 770's form factor and it runs XP but the boot screen only says Linux. It's got it's problems, but I think they pale in comparison to the ones we're used to and have grown to accept on a daily basis. Like the fact once I rebooted my stupid XP box and had NO problems with flashing afterward. You can't blame the dog's tail if the head ate your slippers.
I agree. I am very happy with the update and this means Nokia is definately working hard on the 2006OS. This may be just one of those small updates to delay the release of the OS (Similar to SP2 and Longhorn delays for Windows ;)).

rattis
2006-04-21, 13:23
Spooky seeing the it was Andrew Flegg who wrote and hosts the Nokia 770 version of Vim - his bleb.org TV listings site is incredibly useful. Andrew, if you're reading this, do you know where I can download Vim from whilst you're recovering the bleb.org site? I foolishly didn't keep a local copy, and editing config files using cat and sed is a painful experience ;)

There is a thread under general on this site that has it. The one problem is that it says it will not install even though it does. You'll need to link the librarys.

Linear2202
2006-04-21, 13:43
Konttori-that was it. Once I re-installed the theme everything was happy again. I actually wondered if that might not be it this morning when I woke up( wonder if my sub conscious was working on it last night)

Restore works great.

Mental note-change themes next time before performing a backup!

c1261015
2006-04-21, 14:14

My first opinions after flashing new image from Nokia webpage:
1. Browser is faster
2. PDF reader scroll faster
3. E-mails open snappier
3. more free memory (7 % more in case of my N770)

jayholler
2006-04-21, 14:32
are any of you humans using the extrootfs setup by wolfram? there was the one user who had an issue with it when flashing this latest image, and I just want to make sure it isn't going to break my whole setup. i've customized quite a few things using xterm, so it would be a big hassle to do it all by hand again. also, isn't having root mode always on kind of risky? yes i understand the tablet is not always on, nor does it sit around where anyone can get physical access to it, but isn't that just bad form if you care about security?

Mark S
2006-04-21, 15:35
Maybe I am really dumb, but I just looked for the windows installer version/windows "wizard" on the Nokia site (as someone mentioned here), and I am not seeing it in the support area. The Nokia site still has the 12/05 version listed.

?????????

c1261015
2006-04-21, 15:54
Maybe I am really dumb, but I just looked for the windows installer version/windows "wizard" on the Nokia site (as someone mentioned here), and I am not seeing it in the support area. The Nokia site still has the 12/05 version listed.

?????????

new version under:
http://www.europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,79636,00.html

uNtouched
2006-04-21, 16:34
Root does not work right out of the box.

spiderx
2006-04-21, 17:44
the shift key stuck problem used to be only limited to password fields on webpages. Now, it's on every field on webpages. Now at least I can develop a habit of hitting the shift key, pressing the letter I want, then pressing the shift key again. Has anyone had a chance to try the new handwriting recognition? I was able to train it in record time. I have yet to try it out again though. I'm positive that with the overall speedups, we'll see some improvements to the recognition accuracy. Has anyone else noticed that sometimes things will just freeze up for a bit if you accidentally drag the pen somewhere you shouldn't? The good thing is, that when something freezes up like that, its not affecting the whole tablet, just the current app.

rattis
2006-04-21, 18:15
new version under:
http://www.europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,79636,00.html

In Mark's defense. It doesn't look like the US site has caught up yet.

michaelalanjones
2006-04-21, 18:37
You know, I can't believe they released an OS that broke the clock. I have to set my location to London, UK, to get it to display the correct time, and I live in the U.S.A., in the Eastern Time Zone.

Truly Craptastic!

Somebody call Microsoft!

gnuite
2006-04-21, 18:41
the shift key stuck problem used to be only limited to password fields on webpages. Now, it's on every field on webpages. Now at least I can develop a habit of hitting the shift key, pressing the letter I want, then pressing the shift key again.
There's a better way - I don't even use the shift key any more. I use the "click on letter and drag up" method of capitalizing letters or accessing shift symbols. In fact, I think I'll replace the shift key with something else - I haven't tried xmodmap, but I will...

Hedgecore
2006-04-21, 19:08
If the clock app you're all referring to is the one that sits up top by the connection/battery icons, then try installing one of the different versions. I don't use this because on the Dec 30 version of the 2005 OS, I had an offset of several hours as well. It's not the new version, I believe it's the clock app.

If it's the desktop clock, that's just plain f*#$ed.

troubleshootr
2006-04-21, 19:29
If the clock app you're all referring to is the one that sits up top by the connection/battery icons, then try installing one of the different versions. I don't use this because on the Dec 30 version of the 2005 OS, I had an offset of several hours as well. It's not the new version, I believe it's the clock app.

If it's the desktop clock, that's just plain f*#$ed.

It's the desktop clock. I am also in EST.

Hedgecore
2006-04-21, 20:25
I'm EST and it's saying 4:24PM right now. I'm set to English (United Kingdom) (because it *IS* spelled 'colour') and it's fine. My secondary timezone is set to Halifax Nova Scotia. (GMT-4).

Have you adjusted your secondary timezone from GMT 0? Maybe that's where the bug lies.

*** edit: Another thought I just had. Maybe you set the time while the device was still in GMT and then set your locale. That could be why it's ### hours off.

troubleshootr
2006-04-21, 21:36
I'm EST and it's saying 4:24PM right now. I'm set to English (United Kingdom) (because it *IS* spelled 'colour') and it's fine. My secondary timezone is set to Halifax Nova Scotia. (GMT-4).

Have you adjusted your secondary timezone from GMT 0? Maybe that's where the bug lies.

*** edit: Another thought I just had. Maybe you set the time while the device was still in GMT and then set your locale. That could be why it's ### hours off.

My clock got 3 hours off when I went from default home city (London) to New York. Try setting your home city to something in America EST. I am sure your clock will also be off. You also can not check off daylight savings zone.

Hedgecore
2006-04-21, 22:15
I tried New York. Nada.

My local settings are:
English (United Kingdom)
Primary : Ottawa Canada (EST)
Secondary: Halifax Canada (AST)

I'm in Toronto.

In the spirit off troubleshooting, try mimicking my settings (reboot after the change for good measure) and see. Maybe English(US) is the culprit based on who's having this problem.

troubleshootr
2006-04-21, 22:31
I tried New York. Nada.

My local settings are:
English (United Kingdom)
Primary : Ottawa Canada (EST)
Secondary: Halifax Canada (AST)

I'm in Toronto.

In the spirit off troubleshooting, try mimicking my settings (reboot after the change for good measure) and see. Maybe English(US) is the culprit based on who's having this problem.

I mimicked your settings and I am still 3 hours off. I reflashed the software and put in your settings and my clock was OK. I put back in my settings:

English US
New York Home
London UK Secondary

and the clock is again 3 hours off. It must be the Enlglish US doing it.

Another thing I noticed...When the "home" clock is off, both the home city and secondary city have the same time, no matter which city you pick.

here is a screenshot: http://cassarapage.com/folder/screenshot.jpg

kutibah
2006-04-21, 23:13
I'm set to English (United Kingdom) (because it *IS* spelled 'colour') and it's fine.
Haha. The only reason mine is set to the UK is because I find that keyboard layout more handy than the US ;)

ElGatoFlojo
2006-04-21, 23:19
So, everyone's tossing their input in. So here's mine.

The flash upgrade went just fine. I backed up all my settings to the mmc card, took it out. And then flashed the device. It rebooted, went through the settings and Im up and running with no problems. Does Opera seem a little faster? Maybe. Was there a sketch pad before? Guess I never used it or noticed it. The mail client, I'm still not sure about. How-ever I did notice something very cool though. I have mine set to check my mail every 15 mins. And just now I got a new e-mail, and it chimed at me! Again, I'm not sure if it did it before, but I don't think it ever made a noise on new mail arrival before. And yes, the mail does appear to be a little faster. Nothing really significant.

Now, the clock issue. I set my language for English (US), set the time according to my time zone (PST) and so far after two reboots, the time is still correct. Its not 3 hours off or anything like that. So I'm not sure why thats working and it hasen't for anyone else.

Am I glad I upgraded? Sure. I noticed on boot that the kernel version is newer. So I'd assume (hope) that some fixes were put in there. There was also an updated setting for Cingular mMode GPRS (which is what I use). Not that it matters, but that was one less thing I had to type in before I could get online with my phone's internet.

So far....so good....

mschoen
2006-04-22, 00:42
Who needs time anyway? It isn't important, quit whining ;P.

jayholler
2006-04-22, 05:51
Nobody responded to my question, so I figured I'd answer it myself.

For anyone else in the same boat here is what worked for me.

I had the extrootfs applied to use my 1 GB MMC for the root filesystem, and I was using Kontorri's (sp?) theme for better fonts.

I removed the memory card for any instance that the Nokia 770 was attached to my macs USB port.

First I updated the new image from Nokia/maemo.

Then I enabled R&D, did the gainroot thing.

Then I disabled R&D.

Then I installed extrootfs script again and all was restored to the state the 770 was in right before installing the firmware. (obviously, the 770 is utilizing the new firmware image though, extrootfs doesn't change that.

After that was all done I had to recopy Mr. Kontorri's theme_test file to /usr/bin/themes, and all was right with the world.

I'll post some impressions tomorrow.

I have to say, as an aside: Kontorri's theme is SOO much better. I was instantly stunned and horrified at the default theme font sizes after reflashing. I had forgotten how ugly it looks in default mode, I had gotten so used to the new theme. All he has changed is the font size and adding 9 pixels to the top for more app space, but what a difference! Way to go Kontorri, you rule.

henry
2006-04-22, 06:03
About the clock issue... as mentioned on the maemo developer mailing list all timezone info except for Helsinki are missing in /usr/share/zoneinfo.

To fix it, find a linux box and copy the content of /usr/share/zoneinfo to the device. (root access is needed)

gnuite
2006-04-22, 06:44
About the clock issue... as mentioned on the maemo developer mailing list all timezone info except for Helsinki are missing in /usr/share/zoneinfo.

To fix it, find a linux box and copy the content of /usr/share/zoneinfo to the device. (root access is needed)
Well that explains at least some of the 1.67 MB difference between the old image and the new image...

I tarballed /usr/share/zoneinfo from my linux machine, scp'ed it over to my Nokia 770, and untar'ed it there, and now the daylight savings checkbox and the clock applet work fine.

fanoush
2006-04-22, 07:33
I noticed on boot that the kernel version is newer.
Can someone post exact kernel version as displayed on boot? I have some custom kernel modifications so I would like to know how big is the chance that my old modified kernel will work with newer rootfs in the firmware (as the sources of newer kernel probably aren't available yet). Thanks.

andymulhearn
2006-04-22, 09:20
If the file is not too big, would some kind soul mind posting it or emailing it to me? Apple uses a different zoneinfo setup in OSX :(

Simon
2006-04-22, 11:17
Gee, don't know why all you guys are complaining about the time being off by three hours. I STILL can't even select my country's timezone! I mean New Zealand isn't that hard to find on the map Nokia :)

troubleshootr
2006-04-22, 11:34

Thanks, that worked. I made a directory called America under /usr/share/zoneinfo and copied just the New_York file over to this directory.

Then ran the command "tzconfig" and selected America then New_York.

The time is now correct and the Daylight Savings can be selected.

disq
2006-04-22, 11:39
Well that explains at least some of the 1.67 MB difference between the old image and the new image...

I tarballed /usr/share/zoneinfo from my linux machine, scp'ed it over to my Nokia 770, and untar'ed it there, and now the daylight savings checkbox and the clock applet work fine.

same here :)

aflegg
2006-04-22, 11:44

The replacement bleb.org server is now fully operational: unfortunately it's about 100 miles from its data centre.

However, I've put it online at the end of my broadband connection, so my vim, sylpheed & Mac OS X flasher packages can be got here:

http://vir.bleb.org:81/software/770/

Don't expect it to be as quick, and expect temporary outages as I reboot the new server to test the bootstrap process. It'll also be down on Tuesday as it's moved back to the permanent rack.

HTH,

Andrew

troubleshootr
2006-04-22, 11:53
If the file is not too big, would some kind soul mind posting it or emailing it to me? Apple uses a different zoneinfo setup in OSX :(

The directory is pretty large, I would just copy over the Country/City that you need. I have posted the compressed tar here:

http://cassarapage.com/folder/zoneinfo.tar.gz

bcvthul
2006-04-22, 13:01
I guess i will switch backwards to the previous version of the firmware for the following reasons:

- clock settings is wrong (3 hours difference(?))
- many times mail is not loaded
- powering on is not good (I have to press many times the power on button before something is happening
. when powering off the charge-screen appears (??)
- browsing web-pages takes ages

benny1967
2006-04-22, 13:55
Did the new firmware help anyone with the notorious WLAN-problems?
Knowing they did some bug fixing in this area would be the only reason to go through the backup/update/restore-process, even though there are known new bugs; right now, not beeing able to connect to my WLAN-router, the 770 is back in its box waiting for better times. (A WLAN-device that doesnt do WLAN is not too useful, after all...)

gnuite
2006-04-22, 15:20
Knowing they did some bug fixing in this area would be the only reason to go through the backup/update/restore-process, even though there are known new bugs; right now, not beeing able to connect to my WLAN-router, the 770 is back in its box waiting for better times. (A WLAN-device that doesnt do WLAN is not too useful, after all...)
Actually, I had a lot of WPA issues with previous versions, and for kicks, I tried WPA with the new image, and it has worked flawlessly so far. It still silently drops the connection after half an hour of inactivity, but I don't mind that as much. I'm just glad that I can have real security again!

darcon
2006-04-22, 15:50
I just flashed the new image. The only thing I noticed was that when I start up, it's in Root mode? I thought reflashing disables root mode and you'd have to enable it via flasher again? Or does this mean that Nokia finally gave us Root default?
After flashing mine still gives me the "Enable RD mode if you want to break your device" message if I try to sudo gainroot, scrolling in Opera seems alot faster, and my clock is off by 3 hours like everyone else.

edit: just copied over /usr/share/zoneinfo like others have suggested and now the clock works fine. Now to decide if I really need ~2MB worth of timezone info.

Mark S
2006-04-22, 16:52
This new image is FANTASTIC!!!!. As I have stated a few times here, I am a total average user who knows little about computers but wanted a mobile internet device to make internet access more convenient at home. I was very disappointed with the "first" software because I could not see my work e-mail (outlook web access did not work). Well not it works!!!! Thanks Nokia. I look forward to further improvements. To the extent the other computer geniuses on this site develop great software for me to buy or use for free all the better, but now I can use the 770 for what i bought it to do in the first place. No more paperwight!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invicta
2006-04-22, 17:04

If you mean dropping wlan (bug 329 (https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=329)), it is still there. Now with sound when connection drops. As if it weren't already annoying enough.

andymulhearn
2006-04-22, 17:37
The directory is pretty large, I would just copy over the Country/City that you need. I have posted the compressed tar here:

Cheers. And don't I feel a muppet. That's what I've got in /usr/share/zoneinfo/ :o

Robert Newman
2006-04-22, 19:54
Just wanted to add my experiences. I was very concerned about flashing my device, as I have limited knowledge with Linix, and for the most part was very happy with the way the Nokia was working. After flashing the device, everything works better than before. Streaming audio no longer buffers all of the ttime and no longer hangs when buffering. Opera seems faster, and my clock works correctly as before. I don't understand why so many of you are having problems, when someone like me (a newbie) seems to have none?! I am a Mac user by choice, and I know that Apple advises that before installing a major update, that one should remove any "haxies" that might interfere with the update. Could it be that some of the modifications made could be causing the problems with the update?
Anyways, thanks for all of the help that I get from you guys on this forum. Like the Mac community, Linux people are verry helpfull.
UPDATE: I used to have the device turn on during the late night hours, even after I had shut it down. Each morning upon removing the cover it would be on. Since update, it remains off. Worth the update.

Simon
2006-04-23, 05:22
OK, upgraded mine too. Bit painful setting up all the running on MMC and gain root access and enabling swap stuff again. Still haven't got VIM working right either but shouldn't be too tricky. It does seem a bit zippier overall.

Crap, as I said that it just rebooted!

I think web pages load faster. I have been working on mine and changing hosts today so been loading it a lot to test things and it does seem better. PDFs do seem faster to. And videos too I think.

I also now get that noise when you put the cover on with a connection open. Anyone else think it sounds like a new Cylon fighter!

Haven't played with it much more to see what else is different. As I noted earlier no NZ time zone (bastards!).

I wish there was some way to do a complete backup of everything so these firmware upgrades didn't take all day to get the device back how it was!

I am pretty happy with it though. Progress in the right direction. Can't wait for the 2006 update (which I imagine is a way off?).

kutibah
2006-04-23, 05:34
By the way, the File Manager now opens MUCH quicker :)

mrp
2006-04-23, 07:02

I wish there was some way to do a complete backup of everything so these firmware upgrades didn't take all day to get the device back how it was!

I have root extended to mmc. Flashed the new image, intalled xterm, reran Root.sh and all except clock was as before (apps, bookmarks,...). Took about 10 minutes. Web surfing much smoother. I'm happy with the new image

Simon
2006-04-23, 08:21
I have root extended to mmc. Flashed the new image, intalled xterm, reran Root.sh and all except clock was as before (apps, bookmarks,...). Took about 10 minutes. Web surfing much smoother. I'm happy with the new image
I have root on mmc but probably don't have it all set up properly. I am a Linux noob :) I had to reinstall all my eBooks. What a pain! I guess I don't have installed files on mmc set up?

fanoush
2006-04-23, 11:13
Can someone post exact kernel version as displayed on boot?
Kernel version looks same (2.6.12.3-omap1), only compilation date is newer. My old custom kernel with extended brightness control and pptp seems to work fine with this firmware.

bcvthul
2006-04-23, 18:08
I guess i will switch backwards to the previous version of the firmware for the following reasons:

- clock settings is wrong (3 hours difference(?))
- many times mail is not loaded
- powering on is not good (I have to press many times the power on button before something is happening
. when powering off the charge-screen appears (??)
- browsing web-pages takes ages

Things look different(better) after recharge (??). Power-on is normal, power-off no display of the charge-screen appears.

Only the clock setting (solution is now known too me) remains.

Question: What does a recharge do, except recharging the battery?

fanoush
2006-04-23, 18:32
If you mean dropping wlan (bug 329 (https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=329)), it is still there. Now with sound when connection drops. As if it weren't already annoying enough.
But if you mean dropping wlan when bluetooth is (ab)used https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=326 this looks much better. So far I cannot force it to disconnect no matter how much I try with bluetooth scanning.

troubleshootr
2006-04-23, 20:20
Things look different(better) after recharge (??). Power-on is normal, power-off no display of the charge-screen appears.

Only the clock setting (solution is now known too me) remains.

To repair the panel clock time:

http://cassarapage.com/770/panel_clock.html

Milhouse
2006-04-23, 20:33

Yep - the time is well scr*wed up... not even sure if it's affecting just the plug, I had the time set to 23 April 2006 9:15pm London UK, the clock plugin showed the time as 24 April 2006 12:15am.

I then deleted some of the default bookmarks and went to restore my backup bookmarks - the restore app prompted me "do you want to overwrite the bookmarks filed dated 24 April 12:15am" so it looks like the _system_ time is off as well!

Oh dear, not good!

Hoot69
2006-04-23, 21:00
I gave up, and restored the December system...besides the clock screwup, I was consistently having problems with the News Reader not loading.

Guess I'll wait for a "US" version...

=-= Hoot :(

rattis
2006-04-23, 22:56
Guess I'll wait for a "US" version...

=-= Hoot :(

a "US" version, will probably be the same as the one in the wild now, if you mean wait for the us page to update.

Personally I think I might hold off until the offical 2006 version.

joolsca
2006-04-23, 23:38
After removing the mmc card (before doing that, I had 2 freezes at 10%) the update went very smoothly for me. Everything is notably snappier...no clock problem.

9a6or
2006-04-24, 00:03
To repair the panel clock time:

Thanks troubleshootr, nice job.

Milhouse
2006-04-24, 00:50
I'm assuming Nokia will update this build pretty quickly (-8?) adding back the timezones they forgot (it only contains Helsinki, hence all the clock-related issues).

I've had to enable RD mode just to get the right time showing on my 770 (granted it allowed me to do some other stuff but still...) - bit of a clanger dropped by Nokia on this release! Lets hope the 2006 release has better QA! :)

troubleshootr
2006-04-24, 03:35
I'm assuming Nokia will update this build pretty quickly (-8?) adding back the timezones they forgot (it only contains Helsinki, hence all the clock-related issues).

I've had to enable RD mode just to get the right time showing on my 770 (granted it allowed me to do some other stuff but still...) - bit of a clanger dropped by Nokia on this release! Lets hope the 2006 release has better QA! :)

Why Helsiki? Is Nokia based in Helsinki?

http://www.hel.fi/wps/portal/Helsinki_en/?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/en/Helsinki/

Since I did not see it posted anywhere, I wrote a small "how to" on how to fix the clock issue.

I

rattis
2006-04-24, 06:55
Why Helsiki? Is Nokia based in Helsinki?

http://www.hel.fi/wps/portal/Helsinki_en/?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/en/Helsinki/

I

Yes. Nokia World Headquarters is in Helsinki Finland. And some people wonder why they use linux

Milhouse
2006-04-24, 07:05
The Nokia Research Center (NRC) (http://research.nokia.com/locations/helsinki/) is in Ruoholahti, Helsinki (about 2Km from the City center) - maybe this is where the OS and builds are being developed? :)

Many thanks for your help page - it allowed me to fix the problem last night :)

llywrch
2006-04-24, 16:56
Anyone have experiences with the new image & Bluetooth? (I've been away from the forum for a while, just discovered this thread.) I have been experiencing some "interesting" problems with my BT keyboard alone as well as interference between the keyboard & the keys on the Nokia. (I suspect I could fix the later with some hacking to the xkeymap file, but haven't had the time to poke into the problem.

If there has been no BT keyboard problems with the new image, I'm willing to try it. If not, then maybe I'll just hold off. Better the evil I know.

Geoff

Neil McAllister
2006-04-24, 20:24
Huzzah! The new image seems to have fixed the connection problems I'd been having in busy WiFi areas. Previously I was completely unable to connect using the network at my office (though my home router worked fine). With the new version, I got right on in one try. Now that really is a plus!

Hedgecore
2006-04-24, 22:44
llywrch: Input seems a lot more responsive, though I could just be imagining it. No more pauses and missed characters. If the BT kb is going through the same channels, you might see a difference.

Titus
2006-04-25, 13:04
Oh no, the dreaded bug 329 - WIFI connection drops intermittently ( https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=329 ) - appeared on my device after updating to this software update. WLAN connection just drops after couple of minutes inactivity, and yes, I have disabled power saving for WLAN. I wasn't experiencing this with 3.2005.51-13. Pity, otherwise device feels much snappier with the new firmware, but connection drops are so annoying, that I guess I have no other choice than downgrade to 51-13.

mrp
2006-04-25, 14:43
I noticed problems, new to me, while browsing address www.savonsanomat.fi
Don't know if it is due to new image, but I no longer am able to scroll the page

jfvanlaere
2006-04-25, 18:25
I gave up, and restored the December system...besides the clock screwup, I was consistently having problems with the News Reader not loading.

Same problem with the news reader.

But where can I download the 3.2005.51-13 version ?

Thanks.

geoff
2006-04-25, 18:54
Interesting -- for me this release was very, very bogus until after a couple of reboots.

At first, my bluetooth was completely haywire -- my phone is there, then it's not, then it wants me to choose a phone (again), then it's trying to connect to the phone for no reason, the DUN won't work at all, and file browsing only intermittently.

WEP connections wouldn't work for me, either. WPA ones did, though.

Now that I've struggled (and it was a weird, voodoo-ridden struggle) to set up all my stuff again, and rebooted a couple of times, everything is pretty normal. And faster, too.

C'mon, Nokia...it should be smoother than this...

dinacre
2006-04-25, 19:21
Hi everybody,
I've downloaded the upgrade, backupped the existing settings, flashed the 770, restored the settings and everythings works nicely (bluth phone connect, WPA, swap on MMC card, ...) and faster than before. Thanks Nokia, now waiting for a better Opera release (or Firefox definitively) with complete java support.

Tweak
2006-04-25, 22:03
Downloaded the upgrade, backed up my stuff then flashed and restored.
Opera is faster in some areas, and I can now read my http://tuxmagazine.com/ pdf's. But the newsreader got messed up somewhere. I haven't tried the email function, and have not had problems with wireless connection.

Still no WEP w/chap support though :(

When I get some time I'll try to flash and skip the restore as that helped fix some weird issues last time.

Hedgecore
2006-04-26, 14:51
Why can I 'sudo gainroot' and su to root without having enabled R&D mode on the new image? My machine was in R&D mode before the flash.

*edit: It still is. I guess those flags are stored in NVRAM or something.

Banner
2006-04-28, 07:18
It no longer works with the T-mobile packet data service. Which means I can't use my phone as a modem. Back to the store it goes I guess :-P hope it's still in the return period...

Banner
2006-04-28, 07:57
I just noticed I have the time bug too, and I downloaded this all off of their website? Pretty PISS POOR programing on Nokia's part, they should fire their SW director.

mccake
2006-04-28, 08:48
Hmm.. I tried that update out. It's awesome! Greatly enhanced the browsing experience and the overall performance of the device. I think this is what it's for. Comeon people. Don't blame about whatever clock glitches... Things will be straighten up soon. Who cares about the clock!

rattis
2006-04-28, 09:58
It no longer works with the T-mobile packet data service. Which means I can't use my phone as a modem. Back to the store it goes I guess :-P hope it's still in the return period...

Why not just downgrade the software. You can still find (last I checked) the older version of the software at the Nokia USA site. No one says you have to upgrade and stay upgraded.

gristle
2006-04-28, 10:17
Hmm.. I tried that update out. It's awesome! Greatly enhanced the browsing experience and the overall performance of the device. I think this is what it's for. Comeon people. Don't blame about whatever clock glitches... Things will be straighten up soon. Who cares about the clock!

Agreed that it is running alot better overall but how long to wait until Nokia fix the clock? I would have thought they would have done this straight away to save face on the matter. Sure its a small thing but it shows flaws in their QC.

tnkgrl
2006-04-28, 10:23
Update went smoothly for me.

A lot of the issues people are having with their Nokia 770 being flaky after flashing can be solved by taking the battery out for 10 seconds, then reflashing, then restoring settings...

I've noticed that generally, if my Nokia 770 is behaving weirdly, taking the battery out for 10 seconds and rebooting fixes the problem!

Your mileage may vary :)

Hedgecore
2006-04-28, 13:24
I've got one question about the clock. I've been wondering this for a while but I finally feel like enough of a dick to just say it.

If the clock is 3 hours off, can't you set the clock 3 hours behind so it all evens out?

(I'm either a genius or an arse.)

Tank: The battery's the root of voodoo troubleshooting in that thing... I've had to pop it lots and it *does* always seem to fix the problem du jour. Must be poweerd by gremlins or something. (Hope Gilman's treatin ya well!)

bradb
2006-04-29, 07:02

Must be you - works for me. I did notice they took away the T-mobile VPN selection from the menu, but if you edit the settings to change the server name it works.

(ok, that's T-mobile VPN service in NW Oregon)

Brad.

rr0123
2006-04-29, 16:42
I upgraded and had an issue with the bookmarks--I could only add them, but not move or delete. I re-flashed and now everything seems good.

wallawalla
2006-04-29, 21:27
I just found out how to overcome an "code 7" error.
This might be helpful to others although I didn't find any post from someone else in the forum reporting it.

The update kept terminating at 47% with this error. Nokia's support pages were no help as the error kept occuring while I gave it several tries and I had no second PC at hand. (http://europe.nokia.com/faqsearch/ShowQA?id=51033&prod=1843&ch=79637&si=0&reg=3&adv=false&qt=code%207)

What helped was to raise the priority of the Update Wizard process in the Windows taskmanager to the highest value. Then everything went smoothly immediately.

My OS: Win XP SP2 on a 5 years old Sony Vaio

troubleshootr
2006-04-30, 01:36
I've got one question about the clock. I've been wondering this for a while but I finally feel like enough of a dick to just say it.

If the clock is 3 hours off, can't you set the clock 3 hours behind so it all evens out?

(I'm either a genius or an arse.)

Tank: The battery's the root of voodoo troubleshooting in that thing... I've had to pop it lots and it *does* always seem to fix the problem du jour. Must be poweerd by gremlins or something. (Hope Gilman's treatin ya well!)

Just the panel clock is off three hours, the time is correct in the "clock applet".

Hedgecore
2006-04-30, 16:14
Crap. Same with the clock applet that diaplays the time on the app bar at the top?

ByronZanos
2006-04-30, 21:38
Guys - you're all forgetting something. The upgrade you're using is the European version. The North American version isn't out for another 3 weeks or so. I spoke to Nokia today and they told me not to download the Euro version cause it may not work properly on my US phone. Furthermore, they said it could damage my phone. Depending on where you got your phone, there are slight differences.

ByronZanos
2006-04-30, 21:47
I was specifically told that US version will be slightly different. Not only that, but they're fixing some bugs the Euro version presented. Just wait a couple of weeks *****es!!

Banner
2006-04-30, 22:06
Why not just downgrade the software. You can still find (last I checked) the older version of the software at the Nokia USA site. No one says you have to upgrade and stay upgraded.

Well I'm stuck with the phone, I can't return it. But to be honest when I see that they release 'new' software that intoduces blatently obvious bugs I can only come to the conclusion that they LOST all of the code from the last release and rolled back to a prior buggy release and didn't bother to fix those bugs.

This tells me that the fired all teh original devlopers and replaced them with a team of incompetants. If I had known that this was the level of support and future releases I would -never have bought this product-. I bought it because I figured the thing would get better with time, as better software came out. Now I see that better software will never come out and Nokia has no interest in supporting this device any further.

As a QA manager with 20 years experience in that field alone, I've seen this all before an I know how it's going to play out. I'll use it for all that it will ever be good for: A low end remote browser that mostly works, and an xterm I can use to access a real machine remotely, for when I don't feel like packing my laptop. Not really very useful, I'd hoped I'd be able to do email with it, and documents, but the email prog is pretty much crap and it doesn't read MS documents, which is 99 percent of the world. So that kills 60 percent of why I bought it.

Maybe I'll ebay it and cut my losses, but I think I'll wait to see if the North America release doesn't have all the bugs in it that the Europeans (at the MAIN 770 site) got. Douobtful, I know.

Banner
2006-04-30, 22:09
Must be you - works for me. I did notice they took away the T-mobile VPN selection from the menu, but if you edit the settings to change the server name it works.

(ok, that's T-mobile VPN service in NW Oregon)

Brad.

Maybe because I have no idea what the server name is? Or if I'll have to change it everytime I travel?

From the way it works, this is obviously the previous version of connection software, the one prior to their adding the VPN option automatically. So this release is apparently a roll back, not an upgrade.

Hedgecore
2006-04-30, 22:39
As a QA manager I can understand your desire for a quality bug-free release (I'm a database monkey, I've got the same views - - mistakes are unacceptable), however bugs do and will get released. There's two things to take into consideration - - 1, this is an entire operating system, not a standalone application. 2, the 770 interacts with an extremely wide range of other hardware whether it be routers, cellphones, or PCs. Perhaps it's not always to blame. Your phone problems are most likely due to having a european image on your machine, though I don't have a cell and can't confirm this. I don't think you're running the 770 through a fair test case. You jumped the gun and grabbed a distro meant for another continent and have shoved all the blame on the developers. C'mon, blame placing is for upper management. (Though being in a QA spot I can understand the dislike for devs, I've seen the "I found a bug" "**** you you found a bug!" scenario played out many times).

If the North American image poses as many problems, I'll be more content to sit back and agree with your points, but until it's released, I really don't think this test case is fair.

gultig
2006-04-30, 23:08
Well I'm stuck with the phone, I can't return it. But to be honest when I see that they release 'new' software that intoduces blatently obvious bugs I can only come to the conclusion that they LOST all of the code from the last release and rolled back to a prior buggy release and didn't bother to fix those bugs.

This tells me that the fired all teh original devlopers and replaced them with a team of incompetants. If I had known that this was the level of support and future releases I would -never have bought this product-. I bought it because I figured the thing would get better with time, as better software came out. Now I see that better software will never come out and Nokia has no interest in supporting this device any further.

As a QA manager with 20 years experience in that field alone, I've seen this all before an I know how it's going to play out. I'll use it for all that it will ever be good for: A low end remote browser that mostly works, and an xterm I can use to access a real machine remotely, for when I don't feel like packing my laptop. Not really very useful, I'd hoped I'd be able to do email with it, and documents, but the email prog is pretty much crap and it doesn't read MS documents, which is 99 percent of the world. So that kills 60 percent of why I bought it.

Maybe I'll ebay it and cut my losses, but I think I'll wait to see if the North America release doesn't have all the bugs in it that the Europeans (at the MAIN 770 site) got. Douobtful, I know.

That's funny. I still see the same devs posting to maemo-dev / maemo-users that began posting there in the beginning. Wow, they are even hiring more developers specifically for the maemo project. What's this, they have even promoted or expanded some dev's jobs to be more useful to the community!

Yep. Damn Nokia. Looks like they're just milking this for all it's worth. They should be more like that other company with the cheap popular web tablet that's built on open source software, and is still supported. The name of that company slips my mind.

I hope your QA isn't as short sighted as your rants.

Banner
2006-05-01, 03:12
That's funny. I still see the same devs posting to maemo-dev / maemo-users that began posting there in the beginning. Wow, they are even hiring more developers specifically for the maemo project. What's this, they have even promoted or expanded some dev's jobs to be more useful to the community!

Yep. Damn Nokia. Looks like they're just milking this for all it's worth. They should be more like that other company with the cheap popular web tablet that's built on open source software, and is still supported. The name of that company slips my mind.

I hope your QA isn't as short sighted as your rants.

Then why in the world was this release a complete piece of crap? Please answer that. IF they were doing like you claim, this release should not have broken anything that worked. This release should have been an improvment all around.

But it wasn't. This release should NEVER have seen the light of day. The facts support my argument, your's is based on wishful thinking. Yes it would be nice if Nokia had made this release better than the last one. But they didn't.

That action speaks volumns.

Banner
2006-05-01, 03:27
As a QA manager I can understand your desire for a quality bug-free release (I'm a database monkey, I've got the same views - - mistakes are unacceptable), however bugs do and will get released. There's two things to take into consideration - - 1, this is an entire operating system, not a standalone application. 2, the 770 interacts with an extremely wide range of other hardware whether it be routers, cellphones, or PCs. Perhaps it's not always to blame. Your phone problems are most likely due to having a european image on your machine, though I don't have a cell and can't confirm this. I don't think you're running the 770 through a fair test case. You jumped the gun and grabbed a distro meant for another continent and have shoved all the blame on the developers. C'mon, blame placing is for upper management. (Though being in a QA spot I can understand the dislike for devs, I've seen the "I found a bug" "**** you you found a bug!" scenario played out many times).

If the North American image poses as many problems, I'll be more content to sit back and agree with your points, but until it's released, I really don't think this test case is fair.

Well the European image is on their main server, the one that you get when you go to nokia.com. Which is where I usually go when looking for stuff for thier products. I didn't see any disclaimers or warnings stating 'dont use this if you're not in Europe'. And while I can see the phone thing being regional (though it shouldn't be in today's world with all the traveling everybody does), there isn't much of an excuse for the time issue.

As a QA manager, I compare this to all the other projects I've had to deal with over the years and the pattern is pretty apparent. Noika's response to my email to them about this was pretty much par for the course too. Sadly no one really cares about Quality software anymore, point to any product out there in the consumer market and they spent more money on it after it goes out the door in bug fixes than they did developing it.

The crap I'm seeing at my present job (A major corp you've all heard of, but I can't talk about it legally) has convinced me to quit the field for good this summer. Consumers don't mind buying crap so there is no reason for anyone to make a quality product anymore. Just look at all the excuses being made for this release. Yeah I hope the North America release is better, I really do.

But I shouldn't have to 'hope', I should be able to 'know'. Get my point?

Moby
2006-05-01, 09:11
Well a european user, with European N770, I have had no problems with this release. It installed first time, booted fine with no problems. It runs faster than the previous version, doesn;t crash as much as the previous version.

Well the European image is on their main server, the one that you get when you go to nokia.com. Which is where I usually go when looking for stuff for thier products.If you go to www.nokia.com then you start at a flash page where the very first question is "Choose your region". Following the prompts will take you to the nokiausa.com site and thats still got the old image on it.

fpp
2006-05-01, 10:59
I think Banner is really Mike Cane in disguise :-)

rattis
2006-05-01, 11:11
Then why in the world was this release a complete piece of crap? Please answer that. IF they were doing like you claim, this release should not have broken anything that worked. This release should have been an improvment all around.

But it wasn't. This release should NEVER have seen the light of day. The facts support my argument, your's is based on wishful thinking. Yes it would be nice if Nokia had made this release better than the last one. But they didn't.

Maybe I'm off base, I am sometimes, but we're looking at this from an American running Euro software stand point. Yes things that we want to work and worked in the past no longer work. But what about the people in Europe? Other than time zone, what is broken for them? Remember they don't use the same phone systems (land line or cell) that we do.

rattis
2006-05-01, 11:14
I think Banner is really Mike Cane in disguise :-)

Forgive my ignorance but whois Mike Cane?

aflegg
2006-05-01, 13:12

Good grief - how quickly things change, and how quickly one can be forgotten!

(PS - I know this doesn't answer your question ;-))

Milhouse
2006-05-01, 16:16

OT:

Cane - just some guy who would hype a product months before it is released, then rant incessantly about it once he had one (usually because it didn't do something that only he wanted it to do, or because he didn't understand how to make it do what he wanted it to do - he isn't the sharpest tool in the techno toolbox). Mike rapdily moves on to hyping the next must-have gadget once he has lost interest in the current one, he's something of a gadget gadfly (http://www.answers.com/gadfly&r=67), someone who is not in this for the "long haul" and loses interest very rapidly. He likes the sound of his own voice - he has a blog (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723) in these parts which runs to 40+ pages but quite a few of us stopped reading it a long time before he disappeared to origami.com (or whatever new-gadget-site-with-a-forum took his fancy) - once he has lost interest in the current gadget he becomes very negative and very vocal... "constructive criticism" is not a term he is familiar with (if you're so inclined, search for some of his later rants against Nokia and the 770).

He's got something of a (bad) reputation on the gadget-related internet fora, particularly Palm where he appears to be universally derided. He was beginning to get the same reputation here, just as well he jumped ship.

Banner's rants are reminiscent of Cane... largely unfounded and serving no purpose. If I'd downloaded the US firmware to my Euro 770 I would only have myself to blame if it began having problems with Euro cell phones!

The clock problem is the only issue I've encountered on my 770 so far, everything else is working great, better in fact. Yes, it's a bad mistake for Nokia to have released this new firmware with the clock issue and should already have issued a refresh correcting the problem but hey... maybe Banner should contact Ari (http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/) and see if he has any vacancies?

rattis
2006-05-01, 16:37
Good grief - how quickly things change, and how quickly one can be forgotten!

(PS - I know this doesn't answer your question ;-))

I don't normally follow the forums, especially gadet forums. The fact that I've been here a month and have over 100 posts is surprising and very scary. I hope some of those posts were at least helpful, I'd hate to think I was just a cheerleader making noise to hide the signal.

rattis
2006-05-01, 16:40
OT:

Banner's rants are reminiscent of Cane... largely unfounded and serving no purpose. If I'd downloaded the US firmware to my Euro 770 I would only have myself to blame if it began having problems with Euro cell phones!

I don't remember this being a euro only release when it first came out, maybe I wan't paying attention. However now that we know, people having problems in the US should probably move back a revision and wait.

Thanks for taking time and enlightening me.

Milhouse
2006-05-01, 16:53
I don't remember this being a euro only release when it first came out, maybe I wan't paying attention. However now that we know, people having problems in the US should probably move back a revision and wait.

Thanks for taking time and enlightening me.

Note sure it was ever mentioned outright as such, but the Nokia site is regionalised so US users should get a US-centric version (unless they are fibbing!) and on the US site the current firmware is still 3.2005.51-13 (December 30, 2005), so Banner has downloaded non-US firmware to his US 770.

US firmware: 3.2005.51-13 (December 30, 2005) (http://www.nokiausa.com/support/phones/softwareupdate/1,8461,770,00.html)
Euro firmware: 5.2006.13-17 (April 18, 2006) (http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,79636,00.html)

It states on the Euro download page "Product Support: Europe, Middle East, Africa". Maybe this is a case of Nokia being a European company and they are servicing the European market first? Since most technology is usually released to the US before Europe, perhaps this explains why Banner mistakenly assumed firmware on the European site would work in the US? In theory it should, but perhaps to save space Nokia are tailoring the firmware for it's intended market (ie. dropping US cell phone services etc.)

EDIT: Upon reflection, the confusion about Euro firmware can probably be blamed on tech sites, including ITT. If you navigate to www.nokia.com, choose your region then to 770 support you will get the firmware relevant to your region, however ITT and other tech sites/newsgrups/blogs publicised the latest firmware with direct links to maemo.org and even Nokia Europe - perhaps in future they should point out that our US cousins may need to wait for the US-specific release. Then again, this hypothesis could all be cr*p and both the US and Euro versions turn out to be bit-identical in which case the firmware is crocked... :)

aflegg
2006-05-01, 18:11
TBH, I think the "it's a Euro firmware - the USians only have themselves to blame" is potentially a red herring[1].

The release was announced internationally on maemo-announce and the other Maemo mailing lists and so far all the releases have (IIRC) been binary identical whether downloaded from the US or Europe.

Could it just be that the timezone problem is more annoying to people with a larger time difference; and that - as with all releases - different people see different problems depending on their use cases?

Cheers,

Andrew

[1] Like communism (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0088930/).

Hedgecore
2006-05-01, 18:32
Banner: Actually, as a Canadian, I thought it was refreshing that www.nokia.com pointed to Europe. The update was nowhere to be found on www.nokia.us. :)

I also agree with aflegg to some degree, it's pretty much voodoo magic explaining the EU image issues by one's geographic location of North America. So far as the phones/wifi connectivity issues go, those are definately a possibility. The only standard in place worldwide is the headache you get trying to get them to talk with eachother.

(Also Banner, thanks for taking my original post as it was meant (ie not an attack)).

Robert Newman
2006-05-01, 18:35
I am in the US, and knowingly downloaded it. Clock is off, but I just set it, and forget it. Everything else works fine, and at least seems faster. Just my 2¢.

Saanvik
2006-05-01, 22:04
You know, Banner, I don't want to gang up on you, but I really think you're out of line here. It seems to me like you didn't do any research on the 770 before buying one.
Well I'm stuck with the phone
It's not a phone.

I'd hoped I'd be able to do email with it, and documents, but the email prog is pretty much crap and it doesn't read MS documents
Can you point out a place in Nokia's marketing where they say the 770 will read MS documents? Did the update make the email app worse?

IMO, you should have been able to figure out it was the device for you either before you bought it or within a few hours of buying it. If it wasn't, you should have returned it then.

But to be honest when I see that they release 'new' software that intoduces blatently obvious bugs

There appears to be one bug, that relating to time zones, and it has an easy fix. Since you've been in the software field for a while, I'm assuming you can follow the simple instructions to fix the problem. If you don't want to do that, wait for Nokia to come out with a fix, it shouldn't be long. Either way, your response is way over the top.

Sounds to me like you should be upset with yourself for not checking to make sure the device met your needs before buying it, and now you'd rather blame Nokia than take the responsibility yourself.

I don't think the 770 is perfect. Far from it. But I knew what I was getting when I bought it. You should have, too. If you didn't, you have no one to blame but yourself.

gultig
2006-05-01, 22:53

Wishful thinking, eh?

I'm sorry, which fact that I presented was wrong?

ByronZanos
2006-05-02, 00:08
are you all retarted? i already said ive confirmed this over the phone with nokia. the euro version will mess up a us tablet and wont run properly. remove it and wait 2 weeks for the new us version. for a bunch of computer geniuses you sure know how to ignore information and ask the same ****ing question 30 times.

eaaronp
2006-05-02, 00:40
I installed this upgrade without knowing it was an Euro version and would have done it even if I had known that. I had been suffering from all the little bugs referred to in this forum, especially the email app and newsreader. This upgrade has fixed both apps and made the device much more reliable. This clock issue every one is posting about is a mystery to me I set mine to US Central after the upgrade and have never had a problem, before the upgrade the clock was always about 3 mins slow!! Now that drove me nuts. The only issue I have now is every time I launch the Email app it shows I have 1 item in the outbox, when I go to open the outbox it disappears. Certainly no big deal but very strange that no one else has seen it. I’m no software expert and don’t even play one on TV but one does begin to wonder, if we all installed the same version how can it be behaving so differently on what is identical hardware???

Milhouse
2006-05-02, 00:48
are you all retarted? i already said ive confirmed this over the phone with nokia. the euro version will mess up a us tablet and wont run properly. remove it and wait 2 weeks for the new us version. for a bunch of computer geniuses you sure know how to ignore information and ask the same ****ing question 30 times.

No, we're not ******ed, just that your original posting seemed so ill informed that I guess many of us chose to ignore it - here's your original post:

... I spoke to Nokia today and they told me not to download the Euro version cause it may not work properly on my US phone. Furthermore, they said it could damage my phone. Depending on where you got your phone, there are slight differences.

Why are you talking about a phone? What phone? Who's phone? The 770 is not a phone. Nokia support reps sadly know precious little about the 770 - ignore them, if they referred to the 770 as a phone then how much confidence do you really have in their advice? My answer: none. If they were referring to your cellular phone, there's no way the 770 upgrade could damage your cell phone.

jayholler
2006-05-02, 02:56
i too have installed the euro-version and have had no problems whatsoever. i have however enabled the extrootfs wolfram made, so things may work out a little differently for me. I haven't had any issues here, and the system overall feels a little more responsive.

takumikai
2006-05-02, 07:04
I installed the U.S. version and seems to have more freezes (or maybe I'm just too impatient). It does seem more responsive when the CPU's not busy though...

Hedgecore
2006-05-02, 13:26
Ok... a.) The phone Banner was talking about was his cell phone which he can no longer pair with the 770. He's stuck with the phone. Which won't pair to his 770. All of you might not agree with him but I don't think he's still sitting there searching for the dialpad on his tablet.(make sense?)

b.) Given the nature of the 770, and that so far as we can tell both Euro/North American units were made in Estonia (as well as other places, yes, but all the NA ones I've heard of are Estonian), how the hell can a European software update make a difference? I understand that's what the rep told you, but we've heard reps say a lot of things. They probably just didn't want to troubleshoot anything.

It's a tablet. What's different about locale? If I take my NA imaged 770 to Paris will it suddenly go nuts? Doubt it.

If this forum is living proof of regional differences in attitude, the North American version will most likely be the same thing with a bunch of fixes for the bugs discovered by our cooler-headed european buddies.

rattis
2006-05-02, 14:20

1) its a challange to get it to work.
2) we know better to trust what people say over the phone.
3) unlike cell phones, the tablet is based on computer hardware and the last I checked, that knew no borders.

Milhouse
2006-05-02, 19:11
It's a tablet. What's different about locale? If I take my NA imaged 770 to Paris will it suddenly go nuts? Doubt it.

Just a thought - I've no idea how much space the Mobile Phone Wizard consumes, but I really don't care to have valuable ROM space taken up with details for phone services in continents I'll never visit! While I'm sure the jet-setters among us will find it handy to have details of every mobile service provider on the planet pre-installed, is the modularisation of such services on a regional basis an unreasonable/far fetched idea? I wouldn't object too strongly if the Euro version contained only Euro service providers, longer term perhaps additional continents (even individual carriers) could be added as a package install?

Element
2006-05-02, 19:35
That strange, are we speaking about That version we loaded week ago?
Bought it in Compusa /U.S. Loaded from Europe site...
I don't have any problem (well, clock settings :))

Miho
2006-05-02, 19:46
Ok... a.) The phone Banner was talking about was his cell phone which he can no longer pair with the 770. He's stuck with the phone. Which won't pair to his 770. All of you might not agree with him but I don't think he's still sitting there searching for the dialpad on his tablet.(make sense?)

b.) Given the nature of the 770, and that so far as we can tell both Euro/North American units were made in Estonia (as well as other places, yes, but all the NA ones I've heard of are Estonian), how the hell can a European software update make a difference? I understand that's what the rep told you, but we've heard reps say a lot of things. They probably just didn't want to troubleshoot anything.

a) Problems in phone/770 connection might be earlier bluetooth pairing in the phone. If it is not removed, phone might not accept new pairing.

b) Only thing I can imagine is WLAN channels, wich might be different. Maybe used channels are coded in the software. At least that was reason for different firmawares between EU an US images in my linksys WLAN-box. That would explain some problems in WLAN connections some users are having outside Europe with EU firmware.

These are only my guesses so please don't blame me if it's not the case here. :)

joel
2006-05-02, 22:11
Newbie over here... I didn't even know that there are different firmware versions. No problems (aside from my router) so far... well, the clock. :)

ByronZanos
2006-05-02, 23:29
perhaps i overreacted. i apologize. anyway, you may be right about the phone reps but this one seemed to know what he was talking about. in fact, if anyone here has a 770 that ISN'T made in estonia please let us know where its made and where you bought it. maybe we'll find an answer.

kessdaman
2006-05-03, 00:47
Other than the clock, it's never ran better after I installed the latest firmware.

Jejoma
2006-05-03, 10:13
Ok... a.) Given the nature of the 770, and that so far as we can tell both Euro/North American units were made in Estonia (as well as other places, yes, but all the NA ones I've heard of are Estonian), how the hell can a European software update make a difference?

When I last checked a map Estonia was still part of Europe so it would make sense for it to have a Eurocentric software update.

If they've saved ROM space by dropping the international time data it would seem more than likely they would save further space by dropping the international Mobile Phone Wizard / Service Provider data as Milhouse suggested. Indeed, there's probably some sort of link between the two that resulted in the time data being dropped by mistake.

aflegg
2006-05-03, 10:34
The international time data was almost certainly not dropped intentionally, almost certainly. Unless everyone in Europe is now in Helsinki ;-)

Element
2006-05-03, 15:12
Unless everyone in Europe is now in Helsinki ;-)
YES! It proved by Clock settings

Milhouse
2006-05-03, 18:16
If they've saved ROM space by dropping the international time data it would seem more than likely they would save further space by dropping the international Mobile Phone Wizard / Service Provider data as Milhouse suggested. Indeed, there's probably some sort of link between the two that resulted in the time data being dropped by mistake.

Global Timezone data is critical when you consider there is a world map app, so I don't think the Timezone data was dropped intentionaly - I'm not really sure what's going on with the Mobile Phone Wizard and only suggested data had been dropped as US mobile phone users seem to be experiencing issues. I think the link is that it's a QA c*ckup! :)

Hedgecore
2006-05-03, 19:56
Actually the point I was getting at was that Europeans were probably going to be a lot more accepting and react more mildly to bugs than North American customers. *whistles innocently*

Banner
2006-05-04, 02:59
You know, Banner, I don't want to gang up on you, but I really think you're out of line here. It seems to me like you didn't do any research on the 770 before buying one.

It's not a phone.

Well sue me for mispeaking. BTW, nokia's website lists it as a phone, so does their tech support. And I did my research.

Can you point out a place in Nokia's marketing where they say the 770 will read MS documents? Did the update make the email app worse?
IMO, you should have been able to figure out it was the device for you either before you bought it or within a few hours of buying it. If it wasn't, you should have returned it then.

Their email app is buggy. I didn't try it in the new one, because I CAN'T USE THE NEW FLASH! Got it? Won't set up with the phone, so I can't use it. I didn't expect the original email app to bre so buggy, email is like a simple task to implement. I also expected them to be able to view MS word documents, seeing as how it is the most popular document format and everyone else supports it.

There appears to be one bug, that relating to time zones, and it has an easy fix. Since you've been in the software field for a while, I'm assuming you can follow the simple instructions to fix the problem. If you don't want to do that, wait for Nokia to come out with a fix, it shouldn't be long. Either way, your response is way over the top.

Umm, no it doesn't have an easy fix. Apparently you have to root your Nokia, something I have no desire to do. Besides, I expect something I pay that much money for to be fixed by the VENDOR, not ME. IT's called service. We sort of demand that here in the US. Apparently you don't. And I already said, there isn't one bug, there are two that I know if so far.

Sounds to me like you should be upset with yourself for not checking to make sure the device met your needs before buying it, and now you'd rather blame Nokia than take the responsibility yourself.

I don't think the 770 is perfect. Far from it. But I knew what I was getting when I bought it. You should have, too. If you didn't, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I expected the email feature to work, but it has a terrible problem of hiding all your mail from you. And that's not even getting into the two new bugs (phone and time) that I discovered within ten minutes of flashing. If I find 2 that quickly, I'm sure there are dozens more to be found as well. I never thought it was perfect either. But I did expect it to do the things it was supposed to do well. And I didn't expect the update to break things. Being unhappy with that isnt' unrealistic.

Banner
2006-05-04, 03:05
Wishful thinking, eh?

I'm sorry, which fact that I presented was wrong?

That they're turning out a quality product.

joel
2006-05-04, 04:04
That they're turning out a quality product.
I have an impression that you don't feel that the Nokia 770 is a quality product. So why hang around here?

mike9285
2006-05-04, 06:14
So much hostility in this thread...

P.S. My Nokia 770 is working great with no problems. Though some may find a few bugs, my 770 is a quality product. :-)

Stickarm
2006-05-04, 07:40
We sort of demand that here in the US.Something seems wrong here... Let's see if we can correct this statement:
I sort of demand that.Ah, much better.
My Nokia 770 is working great with no problems.That's what I find, too -- my 770 is meeting my needs and expectations very well. I've encountered some problems and there are things that I think could work better, but I'm not surprised by the performance of this device. Indeed, I'm very pleased with how it fills particular functions in my day-to-day life.

aflegg
2006-05-04, 07:56
I can fully understand Banner's position, in particular it's well known that the Email program (osso-email) is a joke and not worth the bytes worth shipping.

Fortunately, even Nokia recognise this and there are other open source replacements in the works, such as:

libtinymail (http://pvanhoof.be/blog/)
Sylpheed (http://bleb.org/software/770/#sylpheed)
Pine (http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalog#head-505f53f3474a3a6bf53bc593c3005a577499288f)
Polymer (http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalogWip#head-3eafb5c0960e559bcd0e69906988ea6cbb1f1bbb)

HTH,

Andrew

fpp
2006-05-04, 08:09
...not to mention Gmail, one of the few Ajax apps out there that works just fine with Opera on the 770...

rattis
2006-05-04, 12:37
Their email app is buggy. I didn't try it in the new one, because I CAN'T USE THE NEW FLASH! Got it? Won't set up with the phone, so I can't use it.

Umm, no it doesn't have an easy fix. Apparently you have to root your Nokia, something I have no desire to do. Besides, I expect something I pay that much money for to be fixed by the VENDOR, not ME. IT's called service. We sort of demand that here in the US. Apparently you don't. And I already said, there isn't one bug, there are two that I know if so far.

If I find 2 that quickly, I'm sure there are dozens more to be found as well. I never thought it was perfect either. But I did expect it to do the things it was supposed to do well. And I didn't expect the update to break things. Being unhappy with that isnt' unrealistic.

(Banner, sorry if I come off rude, that's the problem with text.)

Actually being unhappy is unrealistic. You're an early adapter. Do you think the PC worked as well as it does now when it first came out? Part of getting in early means you know there are going to be problems. It also means that you try to help fix it, not just rant about how it doesn't work the way you want.

Things are going to break, especially with updates, and things are going to cause headaches (I thought everyone would be used to that with Microsoft products (that was more of a dig at the whole software industry because microsoft isn't the only one that has that problem, they're just the biggest kid on the block so they get noticed more)). You need to work with the vendor by filing bug fixes or giving more information on said bugs. Even then, things aren't fixed overnight (regardless of the of the perception given by most Open Source Projects).

As for this thing called service, you haven't been paying attention customer service in the US is dead. It's been out-sourced to off shore companies, because the corporate masters want to see larger profits. Even then, when you go to places you expect to have decent service like restaurants, you get crap service, because the people work for tips, are over worked, get paid something like 2.25/hr (which is considered minimum wage because of the tips). So after dealing with overly demanding customers who tip lightly why should they be happy and ready to help at the drop of a hat. People love to ***** about the lack of customer service, but most don't understand what is required to make it better, and when they do, they don't want to because it means spending more money.

As for the email, why not try it with wifi if the bt isn't working? You can also always down grade to the old version of the OS (it's still on the nokiausa.com page the last I looked).

Why don't you want to root your device? Doing so give you the ability to do more, it gives you access to config it better, and customize.

penguinbait
2006-05-04, 14:42
Can swap be any bigger than 24MB with new version? Or has this already been solved?

ByronZanos
2006-05-12, 00:15
Hey girls - the US version is now out and posted. Now let's get some reviews!!!!!

c_legaspi
2006-05-12, 03:10
ive downloaded it but the actual download is the same number as the december version

Banner
2006-05-12, 05:38
Yeah, its the december code. Someone must have made a mistake on their website. That or they've decided not to make a new release here.

Hedgecore
2006-05-12, 13:28
Ok, now *that* was a QA issue ;)

Probably the web people being ahead of the file server folks. In either case I don't think I'll be able to reflash til tomorrow morning... hangover permitting.

Clay
2006-05-12, 14:05
But as of around 10:00 AM EDT, the download link points to a [wrong] location on europe.nokia.com anyway! So much for that 'special usa version'.

Banner
2006-05-13, 06:03
So is it safe to say that for those of us in the US that there will be no new version to use?

ByronZanos
2006-05-13, 17:53
what are you guys talking about - i downloaded it just fine.

Banner
2006-05-13, 19:06
what are you guys talking about - i downloaded it just fine.

The one currently downloading is the December release. It's what the 770 ships with. There was supposed to be a US version of the new european release, which fixed the bugs the European released introduced (plus there are things that apparently work better in the new European release).

artman
2006-05-13, 21:45
Their link is screwed up, that's all. It's forwarding to the old update. Here's the new update link http://nds2.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_770_SE2005_5_2006_13_7.bin

-Make sure to remove your memory card before updating! Otherwise it may just sit at 10 percent.
-Update takes about 2 minutes.
-Verified version is new one in Control Panel.
-Clock works fine.
-Still can't pair with Motorola RAZR. Have to manually configure.
-PDF Reader considerably faster.

Wireless
2006-05-13, 21:56
Their link is screwed up, that's all. It's forwarding to the old update. Here's the new update link http://nds2.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_770_SE2005_5_2006_13_7.bin

-Make sure to remove your memory card before updating! Otherwise it may just sit at 10 percent.
-Update takes about 2 minutes.
-Verified version is new one in Control Panel.
-Clock works fine.
-Still can't pair with Motorola RAZR. Have to manually configure.
-PDF Reader considerably faster.

Artman,
First off THANK YOU for getting that link straightened out. Been going to that site every few hours expecting NOKIA to have handled it. I have held off wanting to use the actual NOKIA USA release. Thanks

What version RAZR are you trying to pair. I have had a kinda "pairathon" the last few days, and the one phone that I had zero issues the GSM V3 from Cingular (Unlocked) Also, I noticed many had said the Mot v551 was no problem, I did have issues. What finally did, when it said that it failed during the 'Service Discovery Failed" sequence. When that happened I just went back to the Moto V551 and initiated 60 sec of Discovery and kept trying, eventually it takes. I have dobe sveral times like this with total sucssess. I dont want to thread jack so u can email or we can start another thread. (Whatever this forum prefers, Im OK to stay here as well) I will close with saying that while I do like my new toy, the Bluetooth is really a dissapointment, across the board.

Phones I tried to Pair for the record:
TREO 650 GSM Originally Cingular, now Flashed to latest Unbranded FW- Multiple Attempts and failures. I also tried the tricks within this forum, including playing with Dial Up Networking ckbox, to no avail
Moto v330 TMO Branded, Subsidy Unlock, No problem pairing, connected at EDGE speeds
Moto v551 -Cingular Branded, Subsidy Unlocked, issues pairing as dioscussed above, now is paired and connecting at EDGE speeds (165kbps)

The big , known, disapointments:
Cingular 2125 Subsidy Unlocked, will say that it is paired on the NOKIA, but does not work due to the Discovery of Services issue

HTC MDA, TMOBILE Branded, same issues as above with as Cingular 2125, says paired but hgas the Services issues.

I would say that this Bluetooth pairing issue was truely a dissapointment. Sure I have the TREO 650 and the MDA and 2125, but as the Gadget man, I mentally need them ALL TO WORK LOL. I hope the next release gets it

c_legaspi
2006-05-14, 00:37
are you for certain that this is the us version.

artman
2006-05-14, 00:39
I just grabbed the link from the US link page by pulling out the redirect part. Do the different region versions have a spot that shows the region? I'd be more than happy to check for you.

Wireless: Thanks for that info. I'm using a Cingular Razr V3 but I reflashed and unlocked it. Now I'm using it on T-Mobile. Perhaps that's the issue? By setting it up manually I was able to get it working though.

Milhouse
2006-05-14, 01:41
As the filenames would suggest, the new "US" firmware image is bit-for-bit identical with the "Euro" image released three weeks ago. In which case, US users will have clock/time problems as the timezone file contains only one entry - Helsinki.

I find it quite amazing (shocking, actually) that Nokia would release this fundamentally flawed firmware image for a second time, and worse still, in the US where they will no doubt complain mightily unlike us Europeans... Nokia must know by now that it is broken - are they nuts, stupid or just really poor at processing feedback on their firmware releases?

I suspect this new firmware may result in some bad press for Nokia, and deservedly so.

Nokia, if you're reading this: Get your QA process sorted, listen to real-world feedback on your broken releases and hurry up with the new build of 2006-13-7 that fixes the timezone problem!

c_legaspi
2006-05-14, 02:37
i had a feeling that it would be the europe version. i downloaded the europe version and just added the america time zone to have the clock working right. with the exception of having sound when getting disconnected or when sliding the unit back in the case, i dont think the upgrade is really worth while if you are currently not having issues with your unit.

artman
2006-05-14, 03:16
I repeat, I installed the firmware I linked and had NO clock issue. I also restored my backed up files just fine. There were no problems except I had to reinstall my games. That's it and that's all.

c_legaspi
2006-05-14, 05:16
okay, so what do you think about the upgrade then

buckwurst
2006-05-14, 12:47
So I tried the software update, using the Windows wizard and the latest update version on the Nokia site. I get about 75% through the update and I get the message "Could not write to the device. Code 7" (or something similar).
Looking on the Nokia support site it says that this error happens when you first run the updater and that I should simply try again. However, after restarting computer etc. and trying again I get the same error.
Now my 770 is dead (just shows the white Nokia screen).... and I don't know what to do.
I would be willing to try to install another update (an older version) to get the 770 working again, but would ideally like to install the newest version.

Any suggestions?? Any help appreciated as otherwise I have to contact my "nokia service center" which is probably going to be staffed by underpaid teenagaers and involve sending my 770 away somewhere (seeing as I only got it yesterday, I really, really don't want to do this).

While I know my way around a Windows computer I have no idea about Linux or Debian so any advice should be targeted towards this.

Thanks for any help

Hedgecore
2006-05-14, 13:38
Buck: Sorry, I know this is the last advice you want to hear, but keep trying.

Also take the RSMMC card out and leave the cover open. Mine kept hanging and on the magical voodoo 10th try it worked - - that was the only change.

Sprinkling a circle of white sand and putting a chicken bone on the unit while you walk backwards circles around it might not hurt either.

c_legaspi
2006-05-14, 15:25
a few sugesstions to try,

make sure you meet the minimum service pack for windows

dont use a usb hub, connect direct from your usb port

Banner
2006-05-14, 18:58
Question: Has anyone who had the clock issue with the European release tried this new 'american' release? And if so is the Clock Problem still there?

Also, for any T-Mobile data users out there, did they fix the T-Mobile set up? Or do you have to modify it yourself to make it work? And if so, what are the modifications?

Wireless
2006-05-14, 20:23
Hey Guys,
Im prone to believe that we are not dealing with a USA "improved" release. After I did the FW upgrade, I at first thought I was OK, until I finished setting up the HOME / DESTINATION clock page. The Time was OK there, it is when you close the APP that I got the "official " 3 hour time offset. I have tried all logic and Im still 3 hours off. I am about to spend some more time and will edit if I find more our. I will check out the TMOBILE settings also.

Clay
2006-05-14, 23:30
As was stated quite clearly by someone yesterday -- there is NO 'usa' version. The entire file on the us site is bit-for-bit identical to the 'euro' file available a few weeks ago.

ByronZanos
2006-05-15, 07:48
hey guys.... what was that bit about removing the memory card before uploading tte new version? i didn't and i re-installed the same 3.2 version cause,i didn't realize the link was ****ed. now, my 770 seems slower - any ideas why? it's the same version it shipped with - why the problem?

Hedgecore
2006-05-15, 14:37
Some of us have found (and I'm sure it's pure voodoo magic) that if updates keep failing (usually at 10%) that removing the RSMMC allows it to complete.

bradb
2006-05-15, 18:41
Try this, but make sure you read the entire thread. The actual fix for t-mobile is very simple:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582&highlight=t-mobile

Brad.

johsua
2006-05-15, 18:55
i just installed the latest 'usa' version. i had no problem with the clock. for some reason windows did not recognize the tablet, but when i used the ubuntu work-around i had no problems. odd.

aflegg
2006-05-15, 19:19
Careful, although the "home" screen clock will be right, you can see the offset problem by looking at the time stamp on newly created files.

johsua
2006-05-15, 19:34
Careful, although the "home" screen clock will be right, you can see the offset problem by looking at the time stamp on newly created files.

still no problem. i ceated a sketch file and created a file in xterm. both had the proper time.

johsua
2006-05-15, 19:36
ok- now i see the problem. when i look at the clock in the control panel it is three hours early.

buckwurst
2006-05-17, 10:28
Hey all,

Thanks for your suggestions to my problem (update hanging at around 70%).

The fix was real simple, I went to a frined's house who also has a 770 and updated there. Worked fine. Strange as we both have the same PC/OS (windows XP, SP2 newest patches).

Oh well, problem solved until I have to do the next update I guess. So far pretty happy with 770 (and becoming addicted to Mahjong). All I need now is to get a reliable WiFi connection at home (and stop leeching off the neighbours) and I'll be good to go.

ByronZanos
2006-05-23, 04:46
Well - I've installed the new version - No problems to speak of (not even the clock). Now..... Is it better?? Any thoughts?

mancy
2006-05-24, 19:42

thanks troubleshootr this fix worked for me.
using instruction here

and time is okay now..