PDA

View Full Version : Can someone walk me thru the OTA install for FBreader?

truckinusa
2008-03-31, 03:22
I'm on http://www.fbreader.org/maemo reading how to install the software, but can't figure out where I put the address to download the application? I probably just don't have a clue since I know very little about linux.

OSEmuTech
2008-03-31, 04:14
The Internet Tablet School website has a good tutorial on finding and installing new applications using the Application Manager. It demonstrates the Application Manager on Maemo Linux OS 2008, but should be similar to the OS you have installed on your Nokia 770.

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/nokia-n800-finding-and-installing-new.html

You would use the Application Manager to add the FBReader "repository" (address) to install FBReader.

truckinusa
2008-03-31, 05:07
yeah, I was just finding that. I'm trying to install this PalmOS emulator too. http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/ Any luck with that? Back to school for the noobs!!! Theres all kinds of cool stuff you can do, but I don't have a clue how to even install and application! The install instructions mention menu options in the application manager that aren't there like entering a web address. I downloaded the PalmOS emulator and it crashed and said the file had an error. I don't know if its just me, but probably. I've had this thing since July of last year. Pretty sad huh? All I've figured out is surfing the web. I just figured out how to add a RSS feed today hahah!

Well I watched the video, went to maemo.org clicked install on fbreader and it erred out on me. Don't know what I'm doing wrong?

OSEmuTech
2008-03-31, 05:37
Do you know what Maemo Linux OS you are running (i.e. OS 2006, 2007, 2008)?

You may need to upgrade from OS 2006 (or earlier) to OS 2007 Hacker Edition to install and run some of that software.

I own a N800 so can only use Maemo Linux OS 2007 and 2008. I'm not familiar with the Nokia 770 or OS 2006, so if that is what you have, you might need someone who has a Nokia 770 to walk you through upgrading to OS 2007 HE.

truckinusa
2008-03-31, 06:00
yeah, how do you do that. I just reflashed 2006 and now it can't find my wifi anymore. arghhhhh!!!

Ok, I rebooted and it works fine now.

So what are some reasons I would want 2007HE vs 2006? I know the software isn't compatible between the two. Or a least I think I know. Just read how it crashes a lot and that didn't sound pleasant.

edit: The reflash seems to help the install process for fbreader. Yay!! I installed an app. I thot I was really freaking stupid. I don't know what caused it really though. I just read another guy had problems, reflashed and the problem was resolved so I was like what the heck. Had this crazy thing a year and finally got an application on it.

OSEmuTech
2008-03-31, 06:20
Great! Reflashing sometimes helps. :rolleyes:

I asked someone a while ago to explain the OS 2007 HE to me, but didn't get a response. I almost bought a used Nokia 770 on eBay a few months before I bought a new N800 for almost the same price. I've been meaning to read up on the Nokia 770 to see if I might want to get one on eBay to run OS 2007 applications on (while running OS 2008 on my N800). But it would have to be at least $130 cheaper then a new N800 else I may buy another N800 (or maybe a 9" Eee running Windows XP).

truckinusa
2008-03-31, 06:27
now I would like to install the PalmOS emulator(don't know if its even possible) it has a *.deb extension though. Says to copy it to the memory card, but I don't have a reader for the rs-mmc. Don't think it would work anyways. Any suggestions?

truckinusa
2008-03-31, 06:34
oh wow! now I'm stoked. I didn't know the little tab on the application manager was another menu! duhhhhh!!!!! Now I got the palmos emulator installed. Time to play. I know palmos pretty well.