PDA

View Full Version : Comic / Manga Reader

lockery
2006-04-25, 23:37
How would this device do for reading manga or comic books? I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this. Can anyone post a pic showing a comic page? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Should I wait for the next version of the 770 (is it immenant?) or jump the gun for this one. What I plan to do the most is ebooks / pdfs, but im/email would be nice also.

Lockery

jlim51
2006-04-26, 17:39
the 770 has a pdf reader, although with big files and a small processor u can image that it wud be slow. i guess if u wanter to read the comic as it was loading it wudnt be so bad.
and yes u can also view ebooks as well - which works ok.

emails on the go is another useful thing

RogerS
2006-04-26, 20:15
Where are you getting your manga in electronic format? Tell me or send me one (firstinitial lastname at gmail) and I post a photo of it on the 770.

Roger

varis
2006-04-26, 20:50
If your manga is a collection of images, the image viewing application is nice. You can keep the image in full screen mode and use the buttons on 770 for next/previous, zoom, exiting full screen mode etc.

Amper_CZ
2006-04-27, 09:04
If your manga is a collection of images, the image viewing application is nice. You can keep the image in full screen mode and use the buttons on 770 for next/previous, zoom, exiting full screen mode etc.

But there is problem with skiping to next picture if you are in zoom mode. You must zoom out and then use arrows

konttori
2006-04-27, 10:58
But there is problem with skiping to next picture if you are in zoom mode. You must zoom out and then use arrows

I agree completely!

Tha button layout should allow swithing from movement mode to next image mode.

E.g. You zoom in. Move around, press the d-pad middle button. An icon appears on top right corner. Now, if you press d-pad right, it will move to next image.

Or, perhaps middle buttons default behaviour would be to move to next image. It would be very intuitive. And the back button would go to previous image. I think that would work wonderfully!

andygates
2006-04-27, 15:24
The web browser on its own (set to hide the toolbar in fullscreen mode (Vire > Toolbar > clear the fullscreen tick) looks absolutely delicious for the online comic Apocamon. http://www.e-sheep.com/apocamon

raner2006
2006-06-11, 15:20
Anyone know if there is a cbr reader for the 770 (to read comics)?

Drewvt
2006-06-19, 17:52
Is it feasible to use Opera for browsing through a number of large images while staying in full-screen mode all the time? (i.e., to use it as an image viewer, only for comic scans in this case).

hallgreng
2006-06-20, 01:43
Unless rarsoft releases an ARM linux binary of rar, there cannot be any cbr reader for the n770.
cbz should be fine, but you'll have to repack your cbrs to work (presuming someone comes out with a cbz reader for n770).

Neil McAllister
2006-06-20, 02:20
I wouldn't fret about RAR. You don't need the full RAR package, you only need unrar. There are ARM binaries of the command line unrar utility available for various Linux distributions. I have one installed on my 770 right now and it runs just fine.

rachid
2006-06-20, 10:28
there are plenty of comic reader for python and gtk...

http://borco.net/html/PyComicsViewer/
http://comix.sourceforge.net/download.html

normally i just unpack the files and use irfanview to generate a gallery to browse it with opera. works nice

rachid
2006-06-28, 16:40
thanks pymaemo and pygames it is possible to use superchick or powerchick to read cbz files.
They are working out of the box.
example:
python ./superchick.py
The problem is, that this comic don't have the possibility to zoom in. so it is mainly worthless..

Bowie
2006-06-28, 17:29
Just what the 770 needs...yeesh.

Ceklund
2006-06-28, 20:21
When I first read about the 770 a year ago, someone at that time was planning on releasing a port for the following:

http://comix.sourceforge.net/

Comix for the 770 is now currently in the dead zone at Maemo.org. I don't know what's up, but I truly wish the author who started the idea of getting this program ported (HINT! - it's already in Linux so it wouldn't take much for you supergeniuses out there - HINT!) would go ahead and finish it.

This program can read comics inside RARS and ZIPS, as well as Jpegs, Tiffs, etc.... and presents them in a tiny thumbnail and when you click on the thumbnail, it populates a large version you can zoom in and out of slickly. No need to extract the 20 Meg zip into a 40 meg unpacked stream of pics cluttering up a file folder, just keep each Zip file its own beautiful archive, which on the 770 would be a great thing.

I want this program ported! Don't we all?

rachid
2006-06-29, 09:23
comix should be no problem :)
because it depends on python , pygtk and PIL.
The first two are already available with pymaemo.
PIL can be downloaded from http://www.teemuharju.net/2006/02/24/porting-python-modules-to-maemo/

give comix a try ;)

rachid
2006-06-29, 12:15
i got comix working. but first it is not hildonized and second it is very slow and unstable :(
(IT 2006)

Can someone help to package comix and PIL? I followed this instructions porting-python-modules-to-maemo (http://www.teemuharju.net/2006/02/24/porting-python-modules-to-maemo/), but it doesn't work for IT 2006

Spazholio
2007-07-01, 19:18
Yeah, I know this is a dead thread, but maybe someone's taken up the challenge? I've gotten Comix to install (on an N800), but it says I need GTK+ v2.8, and I have 2.6.10 installed. Anyone know how to resolve this? Or maybe they have a better comic viewer?

rachid
2007-07-01, 19:34
I am using Evince. No problems with cbr or cbz files.

Spazholio
2007-07-01, 20:01
I tried evince, and while it works well with CBZ/CBR files, I'm finding that the handling of images themselves is actually pretty poor. If I unzip/rar everything into a dir and then use the built-in image viewer, it works quite a bit better, but I'd like to get the ease of compressed files, with the handling of the image app. I imagine Comix does this, but I can't really tell, as I can't get it to run. :D

brashley46
2007-12-27, 18:43
I'm considering buying an N800 as a replacement for my dying SL C860 Zaurus. Is it possible somebody could port the excellent ABookReader programme to the N-series? It's what I use now for zipped comix.

seiichiro0185
2007-12-27, 19:08
I would absolutely support this request! I haven't seen a better reader for comic/manga than abookreader so far. Since I also switched from Zaurus to an N800 I would really like to see this programm ported (problem might be that abookreader is for
QT/Qtopia but the Internet Tablets use GTK). IIRC from the building of the english-translated-package for the Zaurus there should be the sources aviable somewhere around here (http://www.polysoma.net/poly/?aBookReader_Zau)
(japanese site, but one should find the tgz files)

For unzipped manga/comic the standard image viewer of the OS2008 is nice, you can go to next/prev in fullscreen, and zoom also works fine. But copying a single zip/rar-file is a lot more convenient than copying a bunch of single images.

greetings from a ex Zaurus and now N800 user ^^
seiichiro0185

ldrn
2008-01-06, 13:29
I have an N810 and "ported" and modified Comix for it -- it's hildonized and it runs.

It can kindly be called resource intensive -- opening a new file takes 5-15 seconds, and I occasionally get notified that it's stopped responding, although it recovers. Aside from the start up time, though, it's everything I wanted in a manga reader and the image quality is better than using the built-in image reader. Anyway, if anyone else would like to use it, I packaged it up and made a repository:
http://rickybrent.com/maemo/install_button.png (http://rickybrent.com/maemo/debs/comix.install)

It should work for OS2008 on both N800 and N810s; I no longer have a 2007 device.

pipeline
2008-01-06, 15:38
Works good, thanks. I downloaded some heroes comics to test it out. While it is a little laggy (no fault to you), the features are pretty perfect for i would want... pretty much a comic fbreader. It supports automatic rotation so i can hold the device in portrait mode for full page, its got full screen and dpad works for next page selection, and it supports the formats i guess i would want.

anyone know of other good 'graphic novels' series like heroes or star wars ?

seiichiro0185
2008-01-06, 15:57
Just installed comix on my N800 and works quite well! Thanks for this port! Now I can use my 15GB of Manga on the go! Now I only need one of those 16GB SDHC-Cards.... ^_^

seiichiro0185

fakebanana
2008-01-07, 19:52
Works great for me. I had been using RDC to run CBReader remotely to read my comics, but your solution works even better. It would be extra super if we could configure the hardware keys to scroll, etc., but it's extremely useable as is.

Thanks again!

ldrn
2008-01-09, 04:54
It supports automatic rotation so i can hold the device in portrait mode for full pageThanks... I added that feature because I kept wishing it would have it while I was using it. :D

I don't know about good graphic novel series, but I've been using it to finish rereading the Detective Conan series after reading through the ones I bought from Viz. :) It's an excellent series if you like murder mysteries.

I'm really glad you guys were also able to enjoy the port.

Fakebannana: I thought about making it switch directions for scrolling on the zoom and d-pad when rotated 90 and 180 degrees, but it seemed like a lot of work... is that what you meant about configuring the hardware keys? I could make a custom version really quick with different keybindings if you'd like. Doing it properly with dialogs would be a lot harder, though. (Messing with Comix for this is my first time using Python.)

fakebanana
2008-01-09, 06:43
I hadn't realized that the app was written in Python. I have some experience working with Python myself, so I went ahead and added the keybinding for previous/next page on keypad left and right in fit-width mode, and on keypad up and down when the screen is rotated. I also added a binding for the center button to the "smart scrolling" feature which is normally bound to the space bar.

I'll take a look at adding a customization dialog in the next day or two.

Laughing Man
2008-01-09, 21:30
Wait how do I have it so it's in portrait mode? I can get it in full screen but it's still in landscape mode so I have to scroll to see the rest of the image. Can I get it so it's like the default OS2008 image viewer where if I put it in fullscreen it displays the image in portrait mode?

iamthewalrus
2008-01-09, 22:01
On a sidenote, could anyone recommend a good source for underground comics in a format that can be watched with comix?

ldrn
2008-01-11, 21:41
Thanks, fakebannana; I modified some of the code you sent me and added it to the latest version. :)

Laughing Man: You can press "menu" (hardkey or on the top") then go to "Transform" and select a rotation. Selecting "Keep Rotation" will make it preserve that rotation when you change pages, and "Automatic Rotate" will rotate the image automatically if it is taller than it is wide (like the default image viewer does.) To make it do this automatically every time, go to Edit>Preferences, then Behaviour, then check "Automatically rotate pages as default".

e-motion
2008-01-12, 01:54
This is awesome but the version before the update worked better. It now locks up on me for no apparent reason after I went to check for updates in the Application Manager and it told me there was an updated version and I installed it.

ldrn
2008-01-12, 02:10
Oh... really? Does this happen with anyone else? I'm sorry, both of my devices don't lock up. As a temporary thing, I repackaged the old version with a new number for you (click on it on the IT):
http://rickybrent.com/maemo/comix/comix_3.6.4.osso3.2.actually3.6.4.osso2_all.deb

Of course, as a later thing, I might just remove it altogether... if using that file does fix things, I'd *really* appreciate if it you could try a few other files for me -- there were two big changes I made in the new version, and if I could figure out which one was causing the problems, it would be a huge help. Thanks!

*edit* If you still have the version in the repository, does the crashing go away if you disable the "Sort Files Nicely" option? It's toward the bottom of the behavior tab.

e-motion
2008-01-12, 19:48
Oh... really? Does this happen with anyone else? I'm sorry, both of my devices don't lock up. As a temporary thing, I repackaged the old version with a new number for you (click on it on the IT):
http://rickybrent.com/maemo/comix/comix_3.6.4.osso3.2.actually3.6.4.osso2_all.deb

Of course, as a later thing, I might just remove it altogether... if using that file does fix things, I'd *really* appreciate if it you could try a few other files for me -- there were two big changes I made in the new version, and if I could figure out which one was causing the problems, it would be a huge help. Thanks!

*edit* If you still have the version in the repository, does the crashing go away if you disable the "Sort Files Nicely" option? It's toward the bottom of the behavior tab.

I unchecked "sort files nicely" and that didn't fix it. Even weirder, since yesterday, I can't see anything but he cover for my .cbr comic book files, even the ones that used to open fine before the update. I haven't moved or done anything to those files, so that is really strange.

I'm off to reinstall the previous version, hopefully I can re-use my comic book files with that one.

e-motion
2008-01-12, 19:54
The link you provided for the previous version doesn't work at all for me. All I get is a page full of gibberish when I click it from the ITT browser.

I'd really like to be able to use Comix again, I thought it was a great app.

borghal
2008-01-13, 00:51
Thanks a million, ldrn, great work! :D

ldrn
2008-01-14, 21:25
Ack! I'm really sorry, E-motion; I didn't know I had to AddType .deb as an application/octet-stream in my .htaccess file to make it so you can click download it. It came up as gibberish because your browser saw it as text...

(Now I finally also know why the debian armel sites I sometimes use do the same thing.)

It works now; I tested it on my N800.

Also, you're welcome, Borghal. :D

e-motion
2008-01-15, 01:51
Ok, I uninstalled Comix and installed Python runtime then reinstalled Comix, couldn't get Comix to even start. So I then uninstalled Python, uninstalled Comix, and reinstalled Comix. Now it works again :)

Any chance of speed optimizations ? It's great as it is, other than for the random lockups though. Keep up the good work.

Pushwall
2008-01-15, 14:52
Great program! I use fit width mode and fullscreen as the default. Am I imagining things, or was I able in a prior version to tap at the top of the screen to go to the previous page and tap at the bottom of the screen to go to the next page? Right now no matter where I tap it goes to the next page. Any chance of changing this or maybe just being able to only display the next/previous arrows at the bottom and top of the screen so I can do the same thing? Or is there a better way to do this that I don't know about? Thanks for your help.

ldrn
2008-01-18, 17:41
Thanks! I wish speed optimizations were on the horizon, but... truthfully, I barely understand how comix works, so I don't think I'll be able to. Sorry!

I thought about that too, Pushwall. I think you're thinking of another app, though; Comix has always just gone next page on click. (Maybe the built in image viewer? It shows overlays of the arrows, too; tis very nice.) That I may be able to add, though.

Pushwall
2008-01-21, 15:26
That would be really cool if you could add that, ldrn. Right now in fullscreen mode I'm using the scrolling to try and go back a page. It's hit or miss,...sometimes it goes back a page, but other times it goes back more than one. Whatever you can do would be greatly appreciated.

ninjatuned
2008-01-23, 16:33
Thanks for this great port!

As a personal preference on my N810, I've been using the Zoom +/- keys to turn pages and keeping the magnifying glass turned on so I can hover over areas that have really small print. It's been working out beautifully! Yet another great use for the N810.

Thanks again!

trustwiz
2008-02-19, 19:24
Is there anyone who can give me a link to download a free comic so I can actually see this program work?

brashley46
2008-02-19, 20:11
Is there anyone who can give me a link to download a free comic so I can actually see this program work?

::coff, coff:: emule is your friend. :o

I'd send you to Wowio but they ony use .pdf ...

come to think of it, you can get a .pdf from wowio, extract the images, convert to .jpg and zip them up. Only works if you're in the States though.

Pushwall
2008-02-19, 20:48
Try these websites for some freebies:
http://www.flashbackuniverse.com/
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/

dan
2008-03-18, 03:09
Many thanks guys.
keep up the good work. Dan

geeterrific
2008-03-28, 22:58
I can't seem to get access to the download.

Comics are a part of what I do and I would really like to get this viewer. Seems you guys have put together a cool app. I dunno much about Python, or tweaks if there are any to be made before installing? I'm trying to put it in a N810 and I get: "Downloading comix failed.

Help anyone? thanks beforehand.

Wiley_Coyote
2008-04-12, 19:51
This would seem to be a vital issue:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18764

ldrn
2008-04-25, 20:27
Sorry I haven't been posting or replying lately; I got a new job and it's eating all my time.

It shouldn't need any tweaks... what does it say when you press "Details"?

And sorry about that, Wiley_Coyote. I didn't think about space running out since I boot from SD... Navi's fix there should work. I'll make the directory configurable later.