PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] Canola 2 Beta 8 -- will not load

micrometer
2008-04-05, 00:59
Got home, fired up App Manager to see that beta8 was out. Downloaded it and installed.

Says it's loading, load meter jumps, then drops, and nothing happens. Reboot...nothing. Canola2 Cleanup...reboot...reinstall...same thing.

Load from command line as root: canolad start -vv

process 2044: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory
See the manual page for dbus -uuidgen to correct this issue.
D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Aborted

checked to see if machine-id was there...it was not, so I ran this:

dbus-uuidgen > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id

Reran canolad start -vv

SHUTDOWN

that's all I got.

Anybody? Anything?

handful
2008-04-05, 01:05
Micro : can you try doing the cleanup procedure and reinstalling to see what happens?

Also : can you provide more information about : Device, firmware and your previous setup (repositories that you have, applications installed etc ) ?

Cheers,

Marcelo

handful
2008-04-05, 01:20
hi,

Can you try first this (suggested by adriano):

(correcting myself : can you also make sure you delete the previous created id )

dbus-uuidgen --ensure

Would this help you?

Cheers,

Marcelo

micrometer
2008-04-05, 01:35
Hi Marcelo,

Tried the clean up again, rebooted, reinstalled, same issue.

I have an N800 running 2.2007.51-3.

I had beta7 running with absolutely no problem.

As for repositories:
Nokia catalog
Nokia catalog (3rd party)
Nokia System Software Updates
maemo Extras
Modest Package Repository
FBReader Repository
Browser Extras
Pidgin on Maemo
maemo
Maemo Chinook
Testing Meamo Extras
Tills Maemo
axique-1
ogg-support
Graham Cobb's repository
Maemo Hackers
Eko One
OpenedHand Maemo Software

handful
2008-04-05, 01:38
Hi Micro,

Yeah, I figured out that. So you are with Bora? (os 2007 ) ? and looks that you have some devel repos.

We will try to replicate the bug, but in our tests (clean installs + previous installed in all devices / all versions we didn't face this error once ) : /

thanks for the feedback... I will see if I can get more help to you.

Can you try deleting the machine id and the command I sent you ?

handful
2008-04-05, 01:41
Hei dude,

Can you enter the IRC channel ( #canola ) on irc.freenode.net ?

Adriano is going to try to find out the problem and maybe help solving it :)

Br

Marcelo

micrometer
2008-04-05, 01:43
OK, removed the previous machine-id, ran with --ensure, and still have nothing

micrometer
2008-04-05, 01:45
Actually, I'm running 2008, but I'm out of time tonight. I'll check back tomorrow and see if you still need my beta testing powers. :-)

Thanks for the help though.

Bundyo
2008-04-05, 11:15
Marcelo, Canola acts exactly the same (starts then dies without any message) when python-launcher is installed.

bongo
2008-04-05, 11:34
Marcelo, Canola acts exactly the same (starts then dies without any message) when python-launcher is installed.

same here
works again without python-launcher

JackED
2008-04-05, 11:41
Hm, so I have to remove python-launcher to get canola working? :(

fpp
2008-04-05, 12:10
Sometimes it is enough, sometimes not.

On my N800 beta8 works again after uninstalling python launcher.

On my N810 it still fails with the "pickles" message.

Both have OS2008 and ran beta7 without issues.

handful
2008-04-05, 14:13
Há Thanks guys,

Let's check what this launcher is doing, it seems that canola is trying to load it : /
Well, this is really strange.

Thanks for the so clear feedback.

Marcelo

makel
2008-04-05, 14:17
I had this same problem but now its working. I removed Python Launcher and Canola and then istalled it again and now its working in my N810.

Bundyo
2008-04-05, 14:25
On my N810 it still fails with the "pickles" message.

In that case a reinstall helps.

qwerty12
2008-04-05, 14:57
Didn't work for me either so I removed python-launcher, ran cleanup and reinstalled :)

morphbr
2008-04-05, 15:54
Hi Guys,

Just debugged this problem and it looks like this: after installing Canola, the install script runs "cnl-rescan-collections" to create that pickle file. The problem is that python-launcher is having a problem with this script (I don't know why yet, but we'll discover) and so, you cannot get the right pickle file: for those who ran canola-cleanup, this means that Canola will not have a pickle file to load and come up (python-launcher suppresses this exception and then you cannot see that) and for those who are updating from previous canola the problem is that you cannot get the right pickle file (this is why canola comes up but then freezes). It explains also why beta7 was working: the pickle file was already there ;-) .

So, until we fix python-launcher, I recommend installing Canola _before_ installing python-launcher or uninstalling python-launcher (be sure that it's not running on Canola install, just it).

Sorry for the inconvenience but we'll talk with python-launcher's guys and try to release a fix for this problem as soon as possible.

Best regards,

fpp
2008-04-05, 17:54
Thanks for the explanation. I tend to prefer knowing why things don't work that not knowing why they do - then we can get about making them work and knowing why :-)