PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] Internet Radio Catalogue Possible?

Alpha4
2008-04-07, 11:18
Is it possible to provide a catalogue of internet radio stations in the Canola Internet Radio app? The default N800 (OS2008) Media Player has an embedded list that you just click to play.

Everytime I try to type a link in Canola it just says 'No feed' or something, so I've given up and gone back Media Player. Does this mean that I have to know and type in a feed link to *EVERY* single, individual internet radio station I want to listen to in Canola? If so it's going to get very time consuming and I wont be listening to any new radio stations just on whim or impulse (I've got to know about 'em to listen to 'em!)

I like Canola better than Media PLayer, but it's got to be easy to use.

sachin007
2008-04-07, 11:23
You have to add the extension .pls to the internet radio url for canola to find the feed.

Alpha4
2008-04-07, 11:30
Sorry I'm new to the N800 and to typing in precise Internet Radio Sation urls.

Do you mean www.shoutcast.com.pls will pick up all the station feeds on the website and import them into Canola?

Or do you mean I have to add .pls to the direct url for a single live radio feed (example: www.myradiostation.com/radio.htm.pls)?

And could you give a precise example please? Thank you.

sachin007
2008-04-07, 11:46
SOrry for not being precise.
Okay lets say you go to shoutcast.com and select a specific radio station. When you click tune in...... an external media player should open on your computer and the internet station plays in that media player be it winamp, wmp or any other player. Now go to the media player and look for the file url which should be in numbers mostly.
Like http://205.188.215.230:8024/
Now to listen to that specific station in canola... you have to enter http://205.188.215.230:8024/.pls
The only problem for me with internet radio in canola is that the name of the film or singers is not updated in canola unlike in the defaut media player it updates for every song. That is why i never listen to internet radio in canola.

sachin007
2008-04-07, 12:05
I dont know for some reason it is not working even for me currently but it worked in the previous canola version. Anyway if you want internet radio... there is this wonderful app called stream tuner. It gives you a listing of different sites like shoutcast, aol etc all in one app. It should be in your application manager

Alpha4
2008-04-07, 12:44
Stream Tuner it is then. Thank you.

handful
2008-04-07, 20:42
Is it possible to provide a catalogue of internet radio stations in the Canola Internet Radio app? The default N800 (OS2008) Media Player has an embedded list that you just click to play.

Everytime I try to type a link in Canola it just says 'No feed' or something, so I've given up and gone back Media Player. Does this mean that I have to know and type in a feed link to *EVERY* single, individual internet radio station I want to listen to in Canola? If so it's going to get very time consuming and I wont be listening to any new radio stations just on whim or impulse (I've got to know about 'em to listen to 'em!)

I like Canola better than Media PLayer, but it's got to be easy to use.

alpha : I understand your frustation, and please consider this a joke :

I like users better than developers, but they got to read the manual :) (joke)

I know people don't read the manual, but please don;'t take jugdments without knowing the facts.

While people thing that is "innocent" to add a radio link to the application, we are shipping "a product" that is different from a website. So to actually ADD ANY THING to canola, we need express authorization of the content owner. Sorry but we don't have people to contact radios around the world asking permission.

Also : I don't know what you are typing, but if you read the using canola guide, a simple really informal guide on having a nice experience with the software.. you would see that we recommend .pls urls and we actually provide a really nice link with selections from bbc etc.

Also to make your life easier, and not being needed to type anything we created even more tools : the tuning application (the one who makes video thumbnails etc) install a feed handler, that parses any valid radio / podcast / photocast link and ask if you want to add to canola :) simple and fast.

http://www.openbossa.indt.org/canola/using.html#podcast (http://www.openbossa.indt.org/canola/using.html#podcast)

http://www.openbossa.indt.org/canola/images/screenshots/feedhandler_1.png

http://www.openbossa.indt.org/canola/images/screenshots/feedhandler_2.png

Taken from the website :

Internet radios are broadcasted also using several formats, and canola can support several of them, including .pls and .ram files.Some of the best resources for internet radios are: shoutcast.com and BBC.co.uk

Then comes the explanation.

But I do agree with you that could be simpler, but placing some radios that you may like would not solve the problem of the other which favorite rdios are not listed, so instead of focus on niche solutions we tried to come up with a solution that serve more people.

Alpha4
2008-04-08, 11:26
OK I understand what you're saying, but let me relate 2 experiences to you:

1) I download and install Stream Tuner. I open it, tap a couple of selections and there you go! I'm listening to Internet radio. 10 seconds tops.

2) I download and install Canola. I open it up navigate to Internet Radio and there's nothing, a blank screen.. So I read your info about shoutcast.com. I enter www.shoutcast.com in the url bar. Error message saying 'No feed or html' (or something like that). I try bbc.co.uk... same result. I now search ITT forum and have a brief dialogue about adding .pls on links. I go back to Canola and try again. Same result.. nothing works.

Then I have a recommendation for Streamtuner and....See 1) above.

My point is that I don't want to (read 'haven't got time to') become an expert on Internet Radio. I'm still finding out about the N800 and the available Apps.In the meantime make it easy, make it quick, make it simple. Perhaps put some sample feeds in there, and if I want to extend the range of stations I'll find out how to do it.

Incidentally, navigating to, and saving, a radio feed link in the browser saves it to Media Player not Canola. Perhaps I'm missing how to do this. When I get time I'll read the Canola help more thoroughly.

handful
2008-04-08, 12:14
I know that alpha, and we are worried a lot, but we need a ok, to do it, and while we don't have it we cannot do it.

We want to make it simple, easy, etc. But it's not "wanting" is being able to also.

Did you install the canola-tuning?

But dont worry this will be made in some future release. I'm waiting for some authorizations, and we have a "wizard" on our minds, to configure a lot of things for you.

meanwhile we do whatever we can : /

Sometimes people think is only a matter of "just add" but as I said, Ineed the content owners permission, I need to have an ok from my company... we are not individuals.. if we were you would have more radios than you could actually listen to :)

Cheers

Marcelo

Alpha4
2008-04-08, 12:21
@ Handful. Yes I installed Canola Tuning. I get Album Cover and Video Thumb in Extras menu but I do not get that Canola Icon in my N800 (OS2008) browser window bottom left next to bookmarks 'Globe' icon.

This means that I cannot save any Radio feeds, podcasts etc. in Canola. Have tried rebooting, loading Canola before browsing, etc etc. still no icon in browser.

handful
2008-04-08, 13:14
Strange,

But thanks for the feedback, we will locate and solve the problem!

cheers,

Marcelo

chrisak
2008-04-08, 17:41
alpha - if i'm reading correctly, you're typing shoutcast.com into canola's add station input field where you'd want to put direct llink to file/stream. go to shoutcast.com website in browser and either use one of the popular/front page stations or search for your own..... either way, hold stylus down on the "listen" icon next to the station titles. you will get popup menu letting you copy link url... this is probably what you want to copy/paste into that canola add station field..

chrisak
2008-04-08, 17:46
also, i've never myself seen an example of canola tuning working with internet radio, but does work great for ppodcasts//photofeeds.

just like firefox and ie, if you view page with rss/etc feeed, you''ll get icon that allows you to addd feed to rrss reader. with canola tuning, you just get exttra options off where to save feed.

example: http://feeds.feedburner.com/IndieTravelPodcast ..... you can add to canola podcast via tuning enhancement.

gerrymoth
2008-04-08, 21:47
I've found I needed to add /listen.pls to the end of some shoutcast streams for them to work.

Alpha4
2008-04-09, 20:36
Aha... penny's dropped. Got it working now. Link icon thingy only appears
in the browser (bottom left) when a valid radio feed is available.

Thanks all for the patience and help. Just downloaded Cigar Talk Radio where all they do is talk about err... cigars!

handful
2008-04-09, 21:04
Alpha : nice, but anywhere just to let you know that your suggestion is indeed important and we will solve not only this but other issues related to "first" use!

we just need time :)

Marcelo