PDA

View Full Version : Other GPS options???

comstox
2008-04-28, 23:57
I don't like the onboard GPS and Wayfinder... Well, I like Wayfinder, just not the $129 US 36 month subscription. And the obvious problem with the looooong lock time of the onboard GPS is ridiculous.

Is there another TESTED plug n' play bluetooth or Micro USB GPS receiver that I can pay ONCE for a lifetime and avoid all the costly subscriptionS? you know... like TomTom GPS.

Thanks a Millennium! :)
Glen

dxb_vip
2008-04-29, 15:44
I thing the way finder is Good, I agree with you that $ 139.99 US is very high.

I am in vecation and I just subscribe for one month which cost me Euro 9.99

It's nice navigation with clear voice guided.

Delphipgmr
2008-04-29, 16:50
any newer bluetooth gps will work, i have one from my old 770 days... bought it on ebay for like $20, works like champ.

maemo mapper is the best

mobiledivide
2008-04-29, 17:08
I have been using the wayfinder GPS and find it not nearly as good as the cellular implementation. It would be great for OpenTom to be finished and ported, I have an old license from another mobile version.

TA-t3
2008-04-30, 11:56
The OpenTom project isn't about making a freeware lookalike of TomTom.. it's only about building own versions of the Linux kernel for TomTom GO devices, and adding additional software (e.g. mp3 players and such). There's never been any plans for working on navigation software in the OpenTom project.

For freeware navigation software you should look at e.g. Roadmap (see other thread)

ysss
2008-04-30, 12:17
why not buy a tomtom?