PDA

View Full Version : [KDE] Boot from SD Installer for KDEv2

penguinbait
2008-04-30, 14:49
THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY BOOTING FROM SD CARDS

Boot from SD installer thread
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19639

I am developing a DEB to install KDE on boot from SD devices. The DEB will download KDE and install it. It also has a md5sum check and will redownload from where it left off. Also if you lose connectivity durring install process, you can just reconnect and it will start right where it left off.

The downside is, it will just sit there forever running if it loses connectivity. I awoke last night to see my router has crashed. I fixed my internet connection, reconnected my wifi and it finished cleanly.

NOTE, this works with my Boot from SD DEB, but 2GB is the minimum to install. and it comes very close to running out of space. Once complete on the 2GB card, there is about 340MB free. If nothing else is installed. Its really tight on the 2GB card because the installer downloads the KDE install files to the same partition it installs them too. YOU MUST HAVE About 1.35GB FREE to start the KDE install process. It will remove the KDE tarballs after the install completes.

Additionally removing the deb, will remove the remaining install files and leave KDE install in tact.

Monitor Install Progress
once the install process is started, it will download KDE and install it. You can view the progress of this in xterm

ls -l /root/kde-installer

or

open web-browser and go to

/root/kde-installer

(refreshing will allow you to see the KDE358 300MB file incrementing.)

If you notice its less than 300MB and its not incrementing, verify your internet connection is still working. Once it gets to 308MB it will start the un-tar process, and remove itself when it completes successfully. It will then start the SUPv2 download in the same way.

It could take a couple of hours to complete. Mine seemed to run a little over an hour, but I did not actually time it. Also internet connection speed will vary install times.

INSTALL PROCESS

1) READ ABOVE

2) DID YOU READ ABOVE (Many people just dont read things before installing things. Well especially if its from me, You should read and ask any questions prior to install.

3) Got to http://penguinbait.com

4) Right Click on "KDE INSTALLER" (save target as)

5) Save the file somewhere

6) open application manager and using the menu, select "install from file" , select the file you just saved

7) Sit back and wait it may be a while!!!!

8) When the application manager finishes the install cleanly, you may remove the package. A failing install may be re-ran, but if you remove it first, your download will start all over again.

Well, thoughts, screams, whining????

geoffstewart
2008-04-30, 15:29
i think i know the answer, but if i install this and later decide i won't use it enough to warrant 1.3GB of space, will uninstalling remove kde and free up 1.3Gb of space?

penguinbait
2008-04-30, 15:35
i think i know the answer, but if i install this and later decide i won't use it enough to warrant 1.3GB of space, will uninstalling remove kde and free up 1.3Gb of space?

NO, it will NOT remove KDE. It will only uninstall the installer.

Once KDE is installed its in there, you can delete everything on the SD card and re-clone from flash to remove

Greyghost
2008-04-30, 16:25
Well, thoughts, screams, whining????

Thanks, actually, are in order before I do any of the above. I really do appreciate your work on this and have been waiting for this release, so I tried right right away. After READING, of course:D

You can view the progress of this...

If you notice its less than 300MB and its not incrementing, verify your internet connection is still working.

So far it it is still downloading. I used both methods to check, thanks.

It could take a couple of hours to complete. Mine seemed to run a little over an hour, but I did not actually time it. Also internet connection speed will vary install times.

At first it didn't seem to be incrementing, but you did counsel patience, and, by golly, it does seem to be trickling in! I have 2.5 hours before I have to leave, so I hope it'll be done by then.:)

Again, my thanks for continuing to improve the functionality of my tablet. I encourage others who feel the same to find and use the 'donate' link on your site!;)

Cheers!

penguinbait
2008-04-30, 16:32
Thanks, actually, are in order before I do any of the above. I really do appreciate your work on this and have been waiting for this release, so I tried right right away. After READING, of course:D

So far it it is still downloading. I used both methods to check, thanks.

At first it didn't seem to be incrementing, but you did counsel patience, and, by golly, it does seem to be trickling in! I have 2.5 hours before I have to leave, so I hope it'll be done by then.:)

Again, my thanks for continuing to improve the functionality of my tablet. I encourage others who feel the same to find and use the 'donate' link on your site!;)

Cheers!

The really cool things, is if it does not finish before you leave. You could disconnect from the internet leaving the installer running. go somewhere else, reconnect to the network and the download/install will start where it left off.

Greyghost
2008-04-30, 16:42
Thanks, PB. I'll likely need this feature, as it hasn't budged now in about 20 minutes. It is still sitting on 46288KB. My connection is still working, tho.

Nitesky
2008-04-30, 16:49
Does it matter which card one uses....my removable card is 4 gb, so thats the one I would rather use. Would that be ok? Or do you have to use the internal card,,,I have the Nokia N800.

penguinbait
2008-04-30, 17:04
Does it matter which card one uses....my removable card is 4 gb, so thats the one I would rather use. Would that be ok? Or do you have to use the internal card,,,I have the Nokia N800.

Just boot to wherever you want to install it to. Then just install it.

SD port does not matter

penguinbait
2008-04-30, 17:07
Thanks, PB. I'll likely need this feature, as it hasn't budged now in about 20 minutes. It is still sitting on 46288KB. My connection is still working, tho.

Well one of the main reasons for developing this process is that tablethacker.com is hosted at siteground and the completely SUCK.

So many peoples downloads will fail before completing. This will test the md5sum and if its not done the download will resume again.

The only issue is md5sum can take about a minute to verify the file. If it is not the right size, and it appears to have stopped, check again in 5 minutes, see if it is running again...

:)

yodainva
2008-04-30, 19:47
Thanks PB for all you do for us. This is my first-ever post. I have been running it for 20 mins and am at 34725557. :)
Edit: Running for 60 mins and at 88555520, so a little slower but, as you counsel, I am being patient.

[[ cold ]]
2008-04-30, 23:31
mmm mine got stuck, what to do?? first time i tried turning it off it corrupted the whole OS...

Nitesky
2008-04-30, 23:43
Yodainva
Did you ever complete your install? If so, how goes it?
I thought people would be falling over themselves downloading this!
Guess I am waiting to hear how others fare...testing the waters.

penguinbait
2008-05-01, 01:13
];176550']mmm mine got stuck, what to do?? first time i tried turning it off it corrupted the whole OS...

It what way was it stuck? Also turning off the OS in the middle of a install should not corrupt your whole OS?? At worst you would have to fix the broken package. Since this is boot from SD, ANYTIME you crash YOU SHOULD ALWAYS run fsck on the boot volume.

The boot from SD installer Deb, makes it so all you have to do is boot to flash and it will fsck all ext2 partitions on all cards.

It plays a wav when complete, then you can boot back to your "boot from SD version".

penguinbait
2008-05-01, 01:14
Yodainva and Greyghost, how did you fare??

pb

yodainva
2008-05-01, 12:54
I got stuck at about 90MB--disconnected internet and reconnected, still stuck. Left it running all night, still stuck.

penguinbait
2008-05-01, 13:20
I got stuck at about 90MB--disconnected internet and reconnected, still stuck. Left it running all night, still stuck.

can you open tablethacker.com in a webpage?

can you do a "ps -ef" and PM me the output??

cheve
2008-05-01, 13:52
hi penguinbait,

Can I run WINE straight up after installing the DEB or there are additional steps to take to make it happen? I still consider myself a newbie, but getting to know enough to be destructive:-)

btw, I have N800 with 16GB. I installed KDE with your KDE358v2.tar.bz2 and SUPv2.tgz(I pulled them out from your site directly and untar them). All went well, except I have to move the xmodmap.desktop out of the autostart as indicated by others here to avoid the screen lock problem. My N800 was set to en_US.

best regards,

penguinbait
2008-05-01, 14:11
hi penguinbait,

Can I run WINE straight up after installing the DEB or there are additional steps to take to make it happen? I still consider myself a newbie, but getting to know enough to be destructive:-)

btw, I have N800 with 16GB. I installed KDE with your KDE358v2.tar.bz2 and SUPv2.tgz(I pulled them out from your site directly and untar them). All went well, except I have to move the xmodmap.desktop out of the autostart as indicated by others here to avoid the screen lock problem. My N800 was set to en_US.

best regards,

WINE??? OK, put down the wine :)

There is no WINE with KDE, nor do I think anything could run well through WINE on the tablet.????

Greyghost
2008-05-01, 15:09
Yodainva and Greyghost, how did you fare??

pb

Sorry PB, I too got 'stuck' and I think I'll need to re-flash. I was about to do it but wanted to check this thread just in case.

To the best of my recollection, here's what happened. I downloaded the installer and began the install yesterday and reported that the d/l had stalled. I only had a few hours at work with connectivity, so when I left, it still hadn't budged, but, I thought, when I get home, I'll get connected again and let it resume.

Well, in the interim, my N810 ran out of battery power. When, after charging it, I turned it back on and the first thing I noticed was the fact that the "Personal Menu" app I'd installed and was using in place of my "Contacts" icon on the left side of the screen was 'missing'. :eek:

EDIT: I just noticed that the Status Bar elements, though checked, are not showing on the Home screen as well.

I checked the control panel and found that, although 'Personal Menu' still seems to be 'there', checking it does not restore it. In other words, 'Personal Menu' remains checked in the control panel but the Contacts icon still shows up (and has the contact links) on the home screen. Of course, there is the real possibility that attempting to install KDE had nothing to do with this:o

Ok, no sweat, I guess. I figured, hopefully, that if I finished the KDE install as planned, this problem would go away. Alas, opening the installation manger begins with a pop-up message that says 'Operation Failed' and trying to begin again by 'installing from file' pops up a message that says 'Not enough memory in target location'.

I have a clean 2GB card. I think it is clean, anyway, since I cannot see any files on it, but I haven't re-formatted it since the last re-flash was necessitated by the 'card bug' that went through here in the last month or so.

I hope this was enough info. It may be that losing the charge was the key error, and if you have any suggestions before I re-flash, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again for working on this. I don't mind being a beta tester, and have no doubt I'll be using v2 shortly!

penguinbait
2008-05-01, 15:27
Sorry PB, I too got 'stuck' and I think I'll need to re-flash. I was about to do it but wanted to check this thread just in case.

To the best of my recollection, here's what happened. I downloaded the installer and began the install yesterday and reported that the d/l had stalled. I only had a few hours at work with connectivity, so when I left, it still hadn't budged, but, I thought, when I get home, I'll get connected again and let it resume.

Well, in the interim, my N810 ran out of battery power. When, after charging it, I turned it back on and the first thing I noticed was the fact that the "Personal Menu" app I'd installed and was using in place of my "Contacts" icon on the left side of the screen was 'missing'. :eek:

EDIT: I just noticed that the Status Bar elements, though checked, are not showing on the Home screen as well.

I checked the control panel and found that, although 'Personal Menu' still seems to be 'there', checking it does not restore it. In other words, 'Personal Menu' remains checked in the control panel but the Contacts icon still shows up (and has the contact links) on the home screen. Of course, there is the real possibility that attempting to install KDE had nothing to do with this:o

Ok, no sweat, I guess. I figured, hopefully, that if I finished the KDE install as planned, this problem would go away. Alas, opening the installation manger begins with a pop-up message that says 'Operation Failed' and trying to begin again by 'installing from file' pops up a message that says 'Not enough memory in target location'.

I have a clean 2GB card. I think it is clean, anyway, since I cannot see any files on it, but I haven't re-formatted it since the last re-flash was necessitated by the 'card bug' that went through here in the last month or so.

I hope this was enough info. It may be that losing the charge was the key error, and if you have any suggestions before I re-flash, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again for working on this. I don't mind being a beta tester, and have no doubt I'll be using v2 shortly!

Shoot me an PM with IM info, and I will contact you to try to help fix

Always after ANY crash if booting from SD, you MUST run fsck

Well you dont HAVE to, but if you like to keep booting, its recommeded

boot to flash, as root run

fsck -y /dev/mmcblk0p2 (or 1p2) depending on your slot

penguinbait
2008-05-01, 17:54
At least three people did not follow the instructions on the first page which said FREAKING READ.

This is only to be installed on systems that are already booting from flash. If you boot to flash and install this it will most likely HOSE your install

Again Steps 1 and 2 ???

1) READ ABOVE

2) DID YOU READ ABOVE (Many people just dont read things before installing things. Well especially if its from me, You should read and ask any questions prior to install.

Greyghost
2008-05-01, 18:18
Again Steps 1 and 2 ???

1) READ ABOVE

Guilty as charged:o As soon as I'm done standing in the corner, you can take care of the others:D

penguinbait
2008-05-05, 23:27
Any other success stories?

[[ cold ]]
2008-05-06, 06:26
installed fine in my 16gb sd, thanx!!

manfredi90
2008-05-06, 09:54
Installed on a n810 with a 2Gb Mini sd card... THX!!:D

2timer
2008-05-07, 22:55
I successfully installed it on a nokia n800, to lock the device in KDE what is the password to unlock it?

I tried changing it but it asks me for the current pass

penguinbait
2008-05-08, 11:41
I successfully installed it on a nokia n800, to lock the device in KDE what is the password to unlock it?

I tried changing it but it asks me for the current pass

as user
sudo passwd

as root
passwd user

2timer
2008-05-08, 22:42
Those passwords aren't working.

penguinbait
2008-05-08, 22:50
Those passwords aren't working.

what passwords?

KDE does not change any passwords.

2timer
2008-05-08, 23:12
I am trying to lock session in KDE but I am unable to UNLOCK it. I try to change the password in control panel but it does not accept the password you posted.

penguinbait
2008-05-08, 23:39
I am trying to lock session in KDE but I am unable to UNLOCK it. I try to change the password in control panel but it does not accept the password you posted.

Not sure what password I posted???

But user by default is set to no password

become root (open XTERM)

sudo su -

then change user password (type)

passwd user

set the password for user

Thats all there is to it, I am not sure what the problem is?

PinCushionQueen
2008-05-08, 23:46
you could try this in xterm:

sudo gainroot
passwd user

'enter password you want'
're-enter password when prompted'

Now go try that password to unlock the KDE session. Does it work?

hahaha PB beat me to it :D

2timer
2008-05-09, 00:17
Ok that worked, on a n800 is that the only way to lock the device? since the lock keys doesn't work in KDE.

penguinbait
2008-05-09, 02:34
Ok that worked, on a n800 is that the only way to lock the device? since the lock keys doesn't work in KDE.

Its on my list of things ot fix

you should be able to move xmod file out of the way and it wont execute
mv /home/user/.xmap /home/user/.xmap-hold

That should fix the problem

2timer
2008-05-10, 01:12
YES, that fixed it! KDE is complete thanks PB :)

thopiekar
2008-05-16, 21:14
hi PB

your debs seem to be corrupted again...
i installed from the debs I downloaded ~2h ago and it works^^

for everybody, who download the debs, who work for me
please visit:

ftp://thopiekar.homelinux.com
user: KDEos2008
password: kde

advice: my ftp-server is just able to upload 60kb/s and my router reconnects at 6°°-7°° am (European-Timezone^^)...

That's all for now what i can do for this awesome project^^

penguinbait
2008-05-16, 22:35
hi PB

your debs seem to be corrupted again...
i installed from the debs I downloaded ~2h ago and it works^^

for everybody, who download the debs, who work for me
please visit:

ftp://thopiekar.homelinux.com
user: KDEos2008
password: kde

advice: my ftp-server is just able to upload 60kb/s and my router reconnects at 6°°-7°° am (European-Timezone^^)...

That's all for now what i can do for this awesome project^^

There is not an issue with files from penguinbait.com, only tablethacker.com had file short read corruption???

penguinbait.com is hosted on my cable modem and has been rock solid.

The files is fine and working as far as I can tell?

If anyone else has issues please let me know?

feel free to host, but I updated these yesterday, so anyone else hosting should get fresh copies

thopiekar
2008-05-17, 08:27
I don't know what you think
but the way I see it is that KDE seems to work slower this way...
(as running on the "easy way")
What do you think?

and:

Is it possible to autostart KDE when booting from the SD-card
!! Without useless Maemo/Hildon.system.services ???!!!

penguinbait
2008-05-17, 17:40
I don't know what you think
but the way I see it is that KDE seems to work slower this way...
(as running on the "easy way")
What do you think?

and:

Is it possible to autostart KDE when booting from the SD-card
!! Without useless Maemo/Hildon.system.services ???!!!

I am planning on a deb, to switch your boot to KDE, you could uninstall ad go back to how it is now.

Give me a couple weeks

PinCushionQueen
2008-05-17, 18:15
I am planning on a deb, to switch your boot to KDE, you could uninstall ad go back to how it is now.

Give me a couple weeks

That would be soooo swwweeeettt! I would love to be able to just boot straight into KDE. Would we still have access to Maemo apps? Would the unneeded Maemo processes be stopped from running in the back ground?
:D:D

penguinbait
2008-05-17, 18:37
That would be soooo swwweeeettt! I would love to be able to just boot straight into KDE. Would we still have access to Maemo apps? Would the unneeded Maemo processes be stopped from running in the back ground?
:D:D

It would run the same. and it would still switch back to hildon if you logout of KDE. It would be the same, you just wouldnt have to start in hildon.

sleepkyng
2008-05-18, 07:34
Dl'd and installed last night - KDE running on a 4gb card in slot 1.

it doesn't run as fast as itos but it sure is more capable!

any on screen keyboard reccomendations?

Aisu
2008-05-21, 03:36
I can't be-freaking-lieve you got something like this working. This is TOO DAMN CONVENIENT to be one of your ports :D :D :D

Works perfectly!

Thanks again, PB!

mjb
2008-05-21, 23:20
PB,

installed kde installer. Watched the progress of kde358 until it reached 316122kb then it stalled. What next?

Edit: Never mind, It restarted again after about an hour and it completed the installation as normal.. Thanks PB!

penguinbait
2008-05-21, 23:37
PB,

installed kde installer. Watched the progress of kde358 until it reached 316122kb then it stalled. What next?

Its probably installing

open xterm and run

df

This will show you your filesystems, run df several times and see if the filesystem is losing space.

You could also do

ps -fe | grep installer

you should see the tar process running.

Settle down !!! ;)

I am realeasing v3 later tonight, sorry :)

BruceL
2008-05-23, 10:16
PB, I am still running V1 of your KDE. I didn't find an answer to this elsewhere, so I'm asking here.

Is there a way to uninstall V1 of KDE then install V3? I have WAY too many things set up to do a fresh install in under 48 hours. :(

Thanks for this! You rock!

penguinbait
2008-05-23, 19:24
PB, I am still running V1 of your KDE. I didn't find an answer to this elsewhere, so I'm asking here.

Is there a way to uninstall V1 of KDE then install V3? I have WAY too many things set up to do a fresh install in under 48 hours. :(

Thanks for this! You rock!

If you are running KDE using the three deb process

You would have to remove all the debs before installing, and then setup boot from SD

I highly reccomend installing on a fresh flash, this is the way I test, so there is the least possibility of a problem.

If thats not really working for you, be sure you backup your data before removing and installing KDE.

Just in case you have any problems.

Also, if you have a 2GB card you really need to be a fresh flash in order for it to have enough room for the install to complete. If you have a 4GB or bigger card you should be ok to clone and install without reflashing. But the KDE debs would have to be removed, including local deb cleanly, prior to cloning. Also be sure to remove them in opposite order you instsalled them.

mfratus2001
2008-05-24, 02:18
I had multiple failures trying the bzip method and the deb method, but finally reflashed my N800, ran fsck on the flash and found many errors, which it fixed, and finally had success!

But where is a keyboard? Did I miss that discussion?
Oh, and two things not to do... don't push "right button" on whatever menu I found it on... you can't get out of it. And if the session gets locked, even if you had a password (which I could not find) you can't enter it with no keyboard!

Marvelous job of hacking, from adapting KDE to N800 to the great install deb, which is self-maintaining. Great job.

Now I just need a keyboard|
I went through all this to be able to print from the N800. I did just that with the CUPS install, but only test pages. Great progress so far.

So, who is up to re-compiling the Maemo apps to use a printer?

penguinbait
2008-05-24, 02:35
I had multiple failures trying the bzip method and the deb method, but finally reflashed my N800, ran fsck on the flash and found many errors, which it fixed, and finally had success!

But where is a keyboard? Did I miss that discussion?
Oh, and two things not to do... don't push "right button" on whatever menu I found it on... you can't get out of it. And if the session gets locked, even if you had a password (which I could not find) you can't enter it with no keyboard!

Marvelous job of hacking, from adapting KDE to N800 to the great install deb, which is self-maintaining. Great job.

Now I just need a keyboard|
I went through all this to be able to print from the N800. I did just that with the CUPS install, but only test pages. Great progress so far.

So, who is up to re-compiling the Maemo apps to use a printer?

Menu > Utilities > kvkdb

If you want to have it start at boot, start kvkbd and save your session

mfratus2001
2008-05-24, 02:39
I was right... that I missed something. See
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20317
for the N800 keyboard info.

The only thing bad about answering your own question is that there's no one to thank....
But thanks, PenguinBait! You are remarkably talented and thorough.

KDE working as advertized with the 2-deb method. http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

TheGogmagog
2008-05-24, 06:47
Installed DKE on a 2gig (MicroCenter labeled). I think, I have plenty of space (417MB available at end). I started with a fresh flash. Deleted the Music, Video, and manuals that came with the fresh flash. I also uninstalled the tutorial and maps (I don't have gps), and the easyclone (cant run it from SD anyway). I even deleted the bookmarks (not much gain there).

I'm curious if there is anything more of any size that could be removed / made redundant with KDE. It would even be nice to see the Icons for skype and gizmo that aren't really installed anyway removed.

I only mention it as something that could possibly be built in to at least the procedure (at least the uninstalling apps) if not the deb (like deleting the maps, sales video and product manuals in 100 languages). If you didn't want to delete them, or identified a few other large files you could move 120MB over to the removable media partition, and then back once the process is complete

2timer
2008-05-24, 20:48
I want to uninstall KDE from my 2GB SD card, how can I remove those partitions? in Windows Explorer it shows as 120MB.

penguinbait
2008-05-25, 03:04
I want to uninstall KDE from my 2GB SD card, how can I remove those partitions? in Windows Explorer it shows as 120MB.

open the disk manager in windows and delete the partitions

Right click on "My Computer" and select manage

Go to Disk management

drizek
2008-06-19, 20:41
im trying to install this on my 8gb sd card but it keeps telling me I am out of space. Any ideas?

The nokia OS takes up 400mb of the large 7GB partition. The 300mb tarball downloaded fine but it gives me an out of space error when it tries to untar.

penguinbait
2008-06-21, 02:49
im trying to install this on my 8gb sd card but it keeps telling me I am out of space. Any ideas?

The nokia OS takes up 400mb of the large 7GB partition. The 300mb tarball downloaded fine but it gives me an out of space error when it tries to untar.

Application manager Menu > Tools > Log

Please post the log and lets see whats happening

CpuFixrMan
2008-08-16, 02:14
Well, I have to admit I am a firm believer in PB's abilities. Just after I got my NIT, I tried the MMC boot, and loved the versatility it gave me. Then I tried his first and second versions of KDE, but had mixed results. But this... this is outstanding work. I just flashed my N800 to Diablo, ran PB's init tools install, booted off my 16GB SD card and installed KDE in a matter of a few hours. I don't think it get's any easier than this.

I have a couple of general questions but not sure they are relevant to this thread so I will post elsewhere.

Thanks a bunch, for a job well done.

CpuFixrMan

SilverHound
2008-10-01, 16:52
Any other success stories?

Penguinbait, I just installed your KDE package on my N800 and it is great. Yesterday I installed the SS Update 36.5 on both flash and SD and today the KDE installation went very smoothly. I couldn't find an on-screen keyboard in KDE, so I whipped out my ThinkOutside BT keyboard and immediately had input access.

I have long been a fan of KDE and I am delighted to have it on my tablet. I must confess that I don't care for your KDE default theme, so I changed it to a more traditional one.

All of the apps that I have tried work fine. The Konqueror Web Browser seems at least as fast as the default on OS2008, and Microb seems faster. KWord looks good and is usable too. Thanks for this package and all of the good work you have done for the NIT
community.

Turkish
2009-02-21, 01:39
I have got a litle English. "Install SD boot" and "install kde" take 6-7 hour for this. But I've been able...

Thank you for all of them...

A question: Is it possible to add Turkish language option this KDE version? How to add?

penguinbait
2009-02-21, 02:23
I have got a litle English. "Install SD boot" and "install kde" take 6-7 hour for this. But I've been able...

Thank you for all of them...

A question: Is it possible to add Turkish language option this KDE version? How to add?

I am not sure, sorry.