PDA

View Full Version : Epocrates working with Garnet VM

nola mike
2008-05-08, 00:05
okay, so i managed to get epocrates working with garnet vm on my n800 (if you don't know what epocrates is, you don't need it...).

here's how i did it:
i did a fresh wireless install of epocrates on my palm tx, and copied all the related files i saw to an sd card, after trying to figure out the bare minimum number of files that would cause it to work.

then i had to install each file individually through VM, which was a huge PITA (85 files!), but worked eventually.

i'd love to know which files are truly essential to make this process easier in the future.

i would also like to know if it's possible to batch copy files from an sd card to the garnet virtual memory, rather than having to do this individually.

autoupdate obviously won't work through garnet; if anybody knows which file is updated, it might be possible to extract the appropriate file from the compressed desktop install file (i'm guessing strings-nc-2.pdb, since that's the largest file)--if you don't have access to a palm, this might be the way to get all of the needed files.

if anyone wants my file list, i'll try to type it out.

bunanson
2008-05-08, 00:11
I tried in the past and lost interest when failed. I think you can installed epocrates on a pc and specify "no sd" option, then you should be able to autoupdate via Garnet VM. I got autoupdate succeeded a couple of time, but somehow i got the sd option and it kept on looking for an sd disk on the N800 and failed

bun

nola mike
2008-05-08, 03:13
so you're saying that you update on the pc, then sync? i didn't think of that, since i'm running linux on the desktop and the epocrates software won't work on that either. but you can't update directly through garnet, right? that is, you can't get the vm to connect directly to the epocrates site?

bunanson
2008-05-08, 03:25
so you're saying that you update on the pc, then sync? i didn't think of that, since i'm running linux on the desktop and the epocrates software won't work on that either. but you can't update directly through garnet, right? that is, you can't get the vm to connect directly to the epocrates site?

Yes, it will. I did it. Just have to make a membership preference, something like that, that you take epocrates and update on palm, no SD disk. As I post previously, my membership preference is with SD disk and it wont work.

Anyhow, I salute your peristence, 89 installations.....you are to be commented for just trying out. Salute!

bun

nola mike
2008-05-10, 18:58
yeah, as it turns out, i'm an idiot that like to do things the hard way. easy way: get the file setup.prc from the epocrates site (looks like you have to set up a windows wireless installation). install setup.prc to garnet, and run from within. no problem, and it lets you set up all the related apps (INR, steroids, medmath, etc). all run without problem. what i ended up doing for the other apps is using pilot-xfer to backup all files from my palm, and then reinstall the ones that i want using pilot-xfer from the commandline and wireless hotsync from within garnet--this was surprisingly easy. beware: garnet every once in a while when it crashes (it's happened when i try a new incompatible program) will wipe out all of your data. easy enough to restore if you have the relevant files in a dedicated directory on your desktop.
the command to use is: pilot-xfer -p net:any (options). read the man file for details. hotsync from within garnet is just set to whatever the ip address is of the desktop. this is linux anyway. don't know how to do it from within windows, but presumably it's even easier using palm desktop. hth someone. i'm now using hopkins antibx guide, skyscape apps, as well as all of the little free apps (pregwheel, mentstat, vent weaning, TIMI guidelines, etc) without problem. seems like the only thing that it chokes on is the calculator programs (ICUMath, MedCalc); i had read that garnet has a hard time with mathlib, which i think these programs depend on.

manni
2008-05-12, 01:52
Hi,

I have also been wanting to run epocrates, I cant seem to get a copy of the setup.prc from the epocrates site. Can you tell me how to get a hold of it. All I'm able to download is the installer for palm.

Thanks

nola mike
2008-05-12, 03:24
that is the installer. i think you need to download it from a palm; when i tried to do it via the n800 it said "not supported". also, garnet crashes OFTEN, wiping out your data. copy the file /home/user/.gvm/gvm.store to your sd card; when garnet wipes everything out you can copy this file back to .gvm in a few seconds and be back up and running. much quicker than re-hotsyncing everything.

bunanson
2008-05-12, 03:39
Hi,

I have also been wanting to run epocrates, I cant seem to get a copy of the setup.prc from the epocrates site. Can you tell me how to get a hold of it. All I'm able to download is the installer for palm.

Thanks

You have to do it with a palm. On your pc, go register and setup a membership to download Epocrates drug FREE, choose other or treo or palm, then window PC. It will then say go get.epocrates.com to get the setup.prc. You go to your palm and go to get.epocrates.com to sign in your membership. It then ask you to dl to Application or SD card. It then start the dl and gives a statement installer saved. That is where you need to get your SD card out and transfer the setup.prc to your N800. If you press OK at that point, it will start install epocrates on your palm and when finished they will erase the setup.prc. Tricky, uh?

I can go so far....the rest follow mike's post
bun

manni
2008-05-12, 15:39
Hi Bun,

Thanks for the information, but I'm using a Palm Zire which has no wireless connection. If I try the get.epocrates.com website either from a PC or the N800 I just get the browser not supported message. Is the setup.prc file individual for each user? If not could someone send me a copy?

Thanks

Addison
2008-05-12, 17:17
Yeah, I don't have a Palm so I wouldn't mind a copy as well.

This is really great news though!

Thanks nola mike!

nola mike
2008-05-12, 18:11
ok, this is getting easier. instructions for firefox (on your desktop):
type in about:config in the title bar.
right click, select new/string. enter "general.useragent.override" for the preference, and "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-TunX; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448" as the value.
this fools the server into thinking that you're connecting from a palm device.
navigate to http://get.epocrates.com/
click "install now"
save to your location of choice, and move setup.prc to your sd card.
install setup.prc from your sd through garnet.
hth, enjoy.

nola mike
2008-05-12, 18:13
oh, i tried this from my pc, and it worked. since i had already downloaded this from my ip address (using my palm behind my router), i didn't need to enter any info or do anything else--i'm not sure if the server remembered my ip, or if it really is that easy. somebody lmk.

Addison
2008-05-12, 21:28
Okay, knowing me I did something wrong, I've come to expect that from me. :D

Anyway, I'm getting this following error:
Your device is currently unsupported. Please visit http://www.epocrates.com for information on supported devices.

Here's the screenshot of my computer in case this helps.

Thanks!

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1662/shotrr8.png

nola mike
2008-05-12, 21:52
this was the full string, looks like you only used the first part:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-TunX; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448

manni
2008-05-13, 21:48
Hi,

Got it work and was able to download the setup.prc file. Thanks for the Firefox code. Any ideas on how to actually get it to install, it gets as far as looking for a memory card not availble. Since Garnet doesn't support a virtual memory card any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks

nola mike
2008-05-13, 23:37
assuming that you installed setup.prc via garnet "install" command? at some point you have to opt for a memory card or standard install--i don't remember when that is, whether before or after downloading the setup file.

bunanson
2008-05-14, 01:07
Hi Bun,

Thanks for the information, but I'm using a Palm Zire which has no wireless connection. If I try the get.epocrates.com website either from a PC or the N800 I just get the browser not supported message. Is the setup.prc file individual for each user? If not could someone send me a copy?

Thanks

No problem. I use AIM. Click on AIM and if you catch me in time, i will send you my copy. I am usually play with computer 7p - 10p EST. Or I can email to you if your email acct takes bin files. Most email acct not.

This applies to anybody wants a copy. The setup.prc is a very very tiny files. I do NOT want to attach here, worry about legal issue.

bun

manni
2008-05-15, 19:00
Hi Guys,

Finally got epocrates working also. I have figured out what the problem was and other users may also be experiencing it.

Firstly setup a new epocrates account if your existing epocrates intallation on your palm is partially stored on a memory card. (This was my problem). When the setup.prc connects to epocrates it gets the information on where to install the files to in my case it was trying to install them to a non existent memory card as on my palm.

Download setup.prc using the above instructions intall setup.prc. Login with username and password. After downloading and installing you will be back at the initial screen this is not an error. When you go back to the list of programs in garnet epocrates icon will be there.

Hope this helps.
Manni

ps now if I can get datebook to sync I can ditch the palm.

nola mike
2008-05-15, 20:39
glad you got it working. i now have gpe calendar installed and syncing wirelessly. a few glitches, but since the initial setup it's syncing better than the palm ever did. (i had a lot of issues with overnight appointments). gpe contacts and to dos are also working well. a couple of files, when you try to install them, seem to crash and wipe out the garnet memory:
medrules (boo)
burn.prc

bunanson
2008-05-15, 23:00
I selected palm, not Treo, upon registering an acct. I then dl the setup.prc onto my treo650 phone. The setup.prc was then transferred to the N810 and, installed. It is working, epocrates on N810 running on Garnet VM. Thanks,

bun

combatdoc
2008-06-01, 20:48
I finally got epocrates running after changing my useragent string in Firefox..lol.
I also managed to find a copy of the PalmJVM so I can run mini-opera and avoid this again.

Now I have another question:
Anyone been able to sync Garnet VM b2 to a WindowsXP Virtual Machine (I use VirtualBox)? I tried USB and Wireless (tried both Laptop IP and VM NAT IP) but neither would work.

bunanson
2008-06-01, 22:02
...I also managed to find a copy of the PalmJVM so I can run mini-opera and avoid this again.

Mind to give more details, please? Mini-opera keeps saying my JVM is not available.

TIA,

bun

combatdoc
2008-06-01, 22:41
I downloaded the Jvm via bit torrent, but I think it may have issues with gvm. First install gave me an error afterward "unable to connect to gvm" and reset the gvm to a blank palm. Next time it installed but mini-opera couldn't find it.

bunanson
2008-06-02, 02:20
Thanks for the warning. In less than 48 hrs, I already soaped up my GVM pretty good to my likeness and it a fulltime job, and I do not want to risk re-install again.

bun

windzilla
2008-06-04, 06:03
I wasn't sure from the posts, but what version of epocrates are you using? I am required to have the full shebang for school, and would really like to ditch my old zire72.

are you all using the free version only, or full install? if your not, do you have any understanding that would lead you te believe full install would work differently for some reason?

I want to figure these things out before I pull the trigger if possible.

bunanson
2008-06-04, 06:12
I wasn't sure from the posts, but what version of epocrates are you using? I am required to have the full shebang for school, and would really like to ditch my old zire72.

are you all using the free version only, or full install? if your not, do you have any understanding that would lead you te believe full install would work differently for some reason?

I want to figure these things out before I pull the trigger if possible.

I paid with my hard earned $ and used the full version 3 years ago. Then I want to save $ and stopped paying and has since switched to the basic version. I now have the basic version, FREE, installed in GVM. Switching from the paid Full version to the now FREE basic version, the ONLY difference I noticed is I am $49.95 richer.

bun

adrenal_medulla
2008-10-05, 22:08
Anyone know how to keep epocrates from disappearing completely after I've installed it? I go through the whole 20 minute ordeal of installing it, then when I exit garnet and come back to it, epocrates has completely disappeared, making me have to re-install it every time. I figure I must be doing something wrong.

nola mike
2008-10-06, 02:28
dunno...haven't had that particular problem. is it only deleting garnet, or all of the programs you've installed? garnet has the nasty habit of crashing and deleting everything if you run a program it doesn't like. i back up the file ~/.gvm/.gvm_store (or something like that) to an sd card once i get everything like i like. when it crashes, you can just copy your backup back to the .gvm directory.

fflander
2008-12-27, 03:51
Did any of you successfully receive setup.prc? I only have the n800 and no palm so I would love it if someone sent it to me as well. Any help is appreciated!

nola mike
2008-12-27, 21:23
did you follow my instructions from this thread in 5/08?

TinkLong
2009-04-05, 00:13
Hello Nola Mike,

I "acci-didn'tly" posted a response in this thread to another one today. I was looking for this thread and thinking I was here...blew it :(

At anyrate, Mike, could you hunt down that other message in the site here and maybe see if you can respond?

Thanks in advance,
Tink

Addison
2009-04-05, 07:41
Welcome TinkLong!

Okay, so I looked at your other post and you have me really confused on what you are asking.

For me, I've only been using Epocrates right now to supplement the fact I lost my Drug handbook on the ortho/neuro floor about two months ago.

I didn't even know that it featured a way to keep notes, I'll have to look into that, it sounds interesting.

So, your Doc wants an Iphone but since it won't accept the notes file, you're looking at perhaps suggesting a tablet for him/her instead?

Maybe he/she can extract the notes file using this program:
Resco Explorer (http://www.resco.net/palm/explorer/)

or this instead since it's free:
Filez (http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml)

If your doc can somehow get that .pdb file and post it here (not sure how comfy he or she would feel about that) I can at least test it out to see if it can be transferred and accepted under Garnet VM.

Not sure what else to say on this. Hopefully someone else that's not a ******ed gorilla like myself can help you out better than my fumbled attempt.

See ya. :)

TinkLong
2009-04-19, 13:54
Hello Addison,

Sorry about the late pickup here... You wrote:
>>I didn't even know that it featured a way to keep notes, I'll have to look into that, it sounds interesting.<<

It is interesting, a nice thing to have. My doc says what you might well expect, his drug notes are almost as important as the Epocrates info. It was probably when he was entering notes on the bioinequivalence of my husband's new generic Amiodarone that he and my husband started chatting about Epocrates, a move to an iPhone (grabbing Tungsten things), and how "my wife can figure out how to move anything to a new device" (thanks for the volunteer job honey!)

But there you go...it is getting those notes schlepped into the next non-Palm device, and still useful in Epocrates that is the challenge. I was kinda gobsmacked that the Epocrates people didn't have "the" solution for this. I'm sure there is one though - with a bit of effort.

Here is where you find the area for the "notes" (at least one place)... Its probably the same on all devices, but this is how you get to the area for entering "notes" on the iPhone (example): click "Browse drugs, diseases, labs...," then "Drugs by class," then "Cardiovascular" (for example), "Betablockers," "Atenelol," and then scroll to the bottom of the list to find "Notes" (which is just under "Pill Pictures" on this device.) Click "Notes" and then type away. :)

Now then... If I can figure a way to "phone walk" the doc through finding those PDB files on his home machine and emailing them to me :) If I can get those -- maybe we can go from there. They are supposed to be backed up during a sync, we'll see.

Tink

TinkLong
2009-04-20, 14:30
Hello Addison,

To add a little more light on the "notes" area of Epocrates... Yesterday I installed Epocrates to my old BlackBerry 8700. The menu/interface is different. Originally the install looked like a very slimmed down version with a "look up" box only. That was disappointing until I received a post-install email from the Epocrates people guiding me to a Palm to Blackberry user's page.

On this device, you scroll through and click items on the screen, or use the click of the trackwheel to access other Epocrates menu items. Once I arrived at a medication's information, I found that I had to click the trackwheel to access Adult/Ped dosing etc, and at the end of the list was "Notes." Select that, and you are good to go on entering notes. I'm clueless where these might backup on my computer in a sync, however -- haven't gotten that far yet.

T

erand
2009-08-23, 22:38
I was wondering if anyone would be able to post a detailed explanation of how to back up epocrates to the SD card, so that I can restore it should it crash while in the hospital (which has been happening constantly!!) I don't know much about linux and command lines and I'm trying to learn how to do this. I can't even find where the files of the installed version of garnet are being stored on my device????

I have windows and a nokia n810 wimax edition.
i am a medical student and would love to use native maemo software, but seems like palm is the closest i will get with the garnet vm palm emulator.

Thank you so much!

Addison
2009-08-24, 00:29
Welcome to the message boards erand!

It would be much easier to private chat on your troubles but since you're new here, you need to post at least 5 messages before you can do that.

Post some more on anything and then send me a private message on how to get a hold of you.

Cheers.

erand
2009-08-24, 05:14
Thanks so much for getting back to me so fast. I really appreciate it.
I'll post some more and hopefully you will be able to help me out over the next day or so. Thank you!

erand
2009-08-24, 17:51
okay, this is my 7th post, so let me know how to go about communicating with you now. thanks again.

Addison
2009-08-24, 18:00
Hey.

Just send me a private message on how best to instant chat with you.

I use Pidgin with a yahoo email account.

I'm on the floor for the rest of the night so I'll try to hook up with you tomorrow afternoon or perhaps on Wednesday.

Cheers.

maemopal
2010-08-04, 18:29
ok, this is getting easier. instructions for firefox (on your desktop):
type in about:config in the title bar.
right click, select new/string. enter "general.useragent.override" for the preference, and "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-TunX; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448" as the value.
this fools the server into thinking that you're connecting from a palm device.
navigate to http://get.epocrates.com/
click "install now"
save to your location of choice, and move setup.prc to your sd card.
install setup.prc from your sd through garnet.
hth, enjoy.

hi,
thanks for the firefox code..i got everything goin, but when i click on the setup icon on garnet it asks for my id and password and runs a synch process over and over agian, it doesnt seem to install the application so i can use it....how do i get around this. at some point when i exit the sync and click on the epocrates icon, it tells me i need 12 mb of internal memory and when i click "ok" it goes to another page saying if u receive this msg twice reinstall epocrates or call customer service, i've tryd to reinstall and i<m getting the same problem..pls help!!

Addison
2010-08-04, 18:41
Register at that site.

It's free and they don't spam you with anything.

After that, you should be good. :)

maemopal
2010-08-06, 00:23
actually i already registered bt i finally got it figured out...d problem now is the constant crashing, i"ve had to reinstall d app everyday...got any ideas on that?

Addison
2010-08-06, 01:54
actually i already registered bt i finally got it figured out...d problem now is the constant crashing, i"ve had to reinstall d app everyday...got any ideas on that?

I never cared much for Epocrates. Too much of it seems to have been written in shorthand and it lacks any real depth.

I personally use AHFS (http://www.skyscape.com/estore/productdetail.aspx?productid=1188) when I don't have access to UptoDate software.

I don't come here that often but shoot me a PM and I'll help you out when I have some time available. :)