PDA

View Full Version : shortcuts on desktop

lucag
2008-05-08, 05:28
Hello,
I'd like to make some shorcuts on my Nokia n810's "desktop". I want to make shortcuts to webpages, applications, and documents. I'd want to put a personalized image on every shortcuts. I've tried Simple launcher, but i can only select application tu run and the icon is automatically detected.
Practically, I would like to make more than one "Web Shorcut" (applet).
What can i do?
Thank you very much
Luca

PinCushionQueen
2008-05-08, 14:17
This is totally doable as long as you are willing to install and use PenquinBait's KDE as your desktop. See here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33) for more information.

lucag
2008-05-08, 14:34
Oh....i understand... but, i think kde isn't an application or an applet, it's a modification of the OS...so i think it's a bit dangerous....
other ways?
Thanks

Benson
2008-05-08, 14:40
No, unless you count other WMs.

m_stolle
2008-05-08, 15:06
You can try "Personal Menu", that might be able to emulate what you want (one additional tap though)

Martin

Bundyo
2008-05-08, 15:09
Or Simple Launcher but its not transparent in OS2008 though.

lucag
2008-05-08, 15:10
how to use it?
thx

Benson
2008-05-08, 15:28
Or Simple Launcher but its not transparent in OS2008 though.

Well, as he said, Simple Launcher only does .desktop files from the menu, not arbitrary files or URLs, and no custom icons.

PinCushionQueen
2008-05-08, 18:34
Oh....i understand... but, i think kde isn't an application or an applet, it's a modification of the OS...so i think it's a bit dangerous....
other ways?
Thanks

It's not a modification of the OS - it's a desktop environment that runs on top of the existing OS. I can still run Maemo if I want- just as normal or I can launch almost any app from Maemo while in KDE.

It's definately NOT dangerous - I've been using KDE as my desktop environment exclusively for 5 months - there has been no harm to my system as a result.

However, I do respect your decision to look elsewhere - I'm just not optimistic about your ability to find alternatives - this is one of the many reasons that I have continued to use KDE as my desktop. I can customize the heck out of it :D

josiahg777
2008-05-08, 18:43
Yeah, KDE is definitely the way to go :) It improves the tablet experience 110% :)

But as was suggested earlier, Personal Menu is probably closest to what you're looking for

lucag
2008-05-08, 19:33
Please, tell me more about Personal Menu, and about KDE ;-) (i'm interesting about it!). So, with kde, i can choose every time i use the nokia if use the normal desktop or the "kde desktop"? Please, explain me how kde can help me....
PS: I've made a post about iphone style on nokia n810, can kde help me for this problem too? (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19895)
Thank you very much