PDA

View Full Version : 2gb rs-mmc...

el_fefes
2006-05-26, 22:35
I made the mistake of buying a 2gb rs-mmc, and found out it doesn't work with the 770 after I got it...I was wondering if it's possible for the 770 to take 2gb cards in the future? Is this hardware or software related? :(

Hedgecore
2006-05-26, 22:36
What brand is the card? Have you tried partitioning it into 2 1gb partitions?

el_fefes
2006-05-26, 22:43
The brand is Rapid. How would I partition it? It would be sweet if I could get it to work.

Gates
2006-06-03, 12:46
I have also seen the Rapid 2gb rs-mmc. Did you ever get yours to work? Has anybody else tried it? Are there any lmitations in the Nokia770 for this to work?

BanditRider
2006-06-03, 21:35
Is it a Dual Voltage card?

troubleshootr
2006-06-04, 03:18
I did not realize that 2GB cards existed. I would love to have 2GB. What error did you get? Is the card recognized? How much was the cost?

Odin
2006-06-04, 03:34
I made the mistake of buying a 2gb rs-mmc, and found out it doesn't work with the 770 after I got it...I was wondering if it's possible for the 770 to take 2gb cards in the future? Is this hardware or software related? :(

Not to be facetious, but both (H/W & S/W). The software driver has limitations (FAT16 vs FAT32) and the hardware interface is dependent on address and control lines. If addressing of 2GB is available, then most likely the driver can access or could access the memory completely. I had thought the limit was 1GB, but you might squeak by with partitioning. On a Mac you use the Disk Utility to do it, I imagine there is something similar on a Windoze box. I can't remember what app is used in Unix, it has been too long.

mikelococo
2006-06-05, 14:41
Update: It has been confirmed that 2G cards _do not_ work with the 2005OS or the 2006 beta. A patch has been submitted to solve the issue, but it's unknown if it will be included in the IT2006 final release.

Not to be facetious, but both (H/W & S/W).
Can you point to references for these statements somewhere? At first read it looks like you're conflating a couple of historical PC hardware limitations that aren't particularly applicable to the maximum size RS-MMC readable by the 770.

The software driver has limitations (FAT16 vs FAT32)...
Although FAT16 partitions are limited to ~2G in size, 2G is big enough in this case. Plus the 770 is capable of reading FAT32 formatted devices that aren't subject to the 2G limit, and has already been used to access a fat32 formatted 60G iPod via the USB host hacks (Read the Mass Storage script posts by Lui G: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=96632)

...and the hardware interface is dependent on address and control lines.
The width of the address bus limits the maximum available RAM in standard desktop PC architecture, but we're talking about permanent storage in this thread. Even though it's flash based, the RS-MMC storage in the 770 is not subject to the address limitations you appear to be referring to.

It seems to me that the most likely reason the 2G card isn't working is because it's a poor quality card. As near as I can tell there's only one manufacturer making it and it's not carried by any of the major resellers.

Odin
2006-06-05, 23:53
Can you point to references for these statements somewhere? At first read it looks like you're conflating a couple of historical PC hardware limitations that aren't particularly applicable to the maximum size RS-MMC readable by the 770.

I was just speculating...the original post seemed to imply that it was not understood why the 2GB was not recognized. Having just come off the same issues with a Palm TC, the problems appeared to be similar.

Although FAT16 partitions are limited to ~2G in size, 2G is big enough in this case. Plus the 770 is capable of reading FAT32 formatted devices that aren't subject to the 2G limit, and has already been used to access a fat32 formatted 60G iPod via the USB host hacks (Read the Mass Storage script posts by Lui G: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=96632)

I was not aware of that, so the limit is apparently well beyond 2GB.

The width of the address bus limits the maximum available RAM in standard desktop PC architecture, but we're talking about permanent storage in this thread. Even though it's flash based, the RS-MMC storage in the 770 is not subject to the address limitations you appear to be referring to.

It seems to me that the most likely reason the 2G card isn't working is because it's a poor quality card. As near as I can tell there's only one manufacturer making it and it's not carried by any of the major resellers.

Good to know. My earlier speculations were just that--made without enough information. I also forgot that the USB interface is serial, is there no limit to the size of an address? (I am sure there is some theoretical limit)

mikelococo
2006-06-06, 15:35
I also forgot that the USB interface is serial, is there no limit to the size of an address? (I am sure there is some theoretical limit)

Although the RS-MMC is available externally via USB, internally it hooks right up to the system bus and behaves pretty much like a hard disk. I don't know the specifics of the addressing scheme they use, but the analogous standards in the PC world would be INT13, LBA, and the 48-bit addressing in ATAPI-6. Whatever it is, the limit is clearly way bigger that any RS-MMC card coming down the pike.

Nonetheless, the first couple folks that upgrade to 2G cards are going to have to run the compatibility gauntlet. I haven't heard or read any good reasons why a 2G card _can't_ work. Whether this or that brand actually _will_ work is another story. I'll be holding off until Lexar or Sandisk or someone else with a history of market leadership releases a product before I jump in the ring.

Invicta
2006-06-15, 10:45
Kingston has 2GB MMC mobile cards. Anyone brave enough to order and test these? They don't ship outside USA and I coudn't find reseller with 2GB cards from this part of the world. Even Kingston shop didn't link directly to 2GB card, I had to edit the url to find it.
http://www.ec.kingston.com/shop/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=MMCM/2GB

Edit: Ok, they have direct link to it, i just didn't find it before.

Odin
2006-06-16, 00:51
I have a PQI 2GB Hi-Speed 60X SD Card, Ultra Performance Secure Digital Memory Card, Model AE30-2030-0101. I access it with no problem by putting it in a mini card reader and setting the 770 to host mode.

bradb
2006-06-16, 04:12
Kingston has 2GB MMC mobile cards. Anyone brave enough to order and test these?

Wow, sounds great! I couldn't resist replacing my 512MB card, despite the option of using host mode and an adapter ;)

I'll let you know if it works in 2 business days.

Brad.

NokNok770
2006-06-16, 14:05
I looked at the memory card on kingston website. Maybe it's not a kingston memory card because where it says manufacture it says N/A.

Also, I have a feeling it's not compatible, because when you go to the memory selector, and choose nokia 770 internet tabletet it does not list the 2gb card.

Memory Configuration New Search Manufacturer Model Part Number Type

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet Print this page

Kingston # Description Price Promo
Price Availability
(click for details) Add to
Basket
MMCM/256 256MB MMCmobile Dual Voltage 1.8V/3.3V Memory Card $15.00 N/A In Stock

MMCM/512 512MB MMCmobile Dual Voltage 1.8V/3.3V Memory Card $22.00 N/A In Stock

MMCM/1GB 1GB MMCmobile Dual Voltage 1.8V/3.3V Memory Card $37.00 N/A In Stock

NokNok770
2006-06-20, 01:41
So bradb, did you get the 2 gig card...did it work? I'm planning to get one if it does.

bradb
2006-06-20, 02:28
So bradb, did you get the 2 gig card...did it work? I'm planning to get one if it does.

Ok, so it came today and much to my surprise, it is indeed a genuine Kingston part. And that appears to be the end of the good news - I can't get it recognized on the 770.

I've tried mucking with the disk geometry in case that helped, but so far, no go.

Bummer eh?

Brad.

frenchie
2006-06-20, 22:00
Ok, so it came today and much to my surprise, it is indeed a genuine Kingston part. And that appears to be the end of the good news - I can't get it recognized on the 770.

I've tried mucking with the disk geometry in case that helped, but so far, no go.

Bummer eh?

Brad.

What version of the OS are you using? Maybe Nokia fixed this issue in the 2006 beta.

I really want to get a 770, but I need to be able to copy all of my music onto a RSMMC card. It's a little under 1.7 gbs and I really need a 2gb card to get this working. Hopefully it is a software issue.

Have you tried formatting it to say 1.5gb?

bradb
2006-06-20, 22:09
What version of the OS are you using? Maybe Nokia fixed this issue in the 2006 beta.

I really want to get a 770, but I need to be able to copy all of my music onto a RSMMC card. It's a little under 1.7 gbs and I really need a 2gb card to get this working. Hopefully it is a software issue.

Have Have you tried formatting it to say 1.5gb?

Sorry but I'm using 2006 (Isn't everybody?)

And I'm not going to give up easily... There is more still to try (but I did try a 128MB FAT partition and still no go)

Brad.

NokNok770
2006-06-20, 22:27
I just saw this on nokia.com/770. Well it probably is true...you can only have 1 gig. I wonder if there was 2 partition of 1 gig will it recognize.

Memory

* Memory: Flash 128MB
* Memory card: 64MB RS-MMC (Reduced Size - MultiMediaCard)
* Option for extended virtual memory (RS-MMC up to 1 GB)

bradb
2006-06-21, 00:06
I just saw this on nokia.com/770. Well it probably is true...you can only have 1 gig. I wonder if there was 2 partition of 1 gig will it recognize.

Yeah, I knew that Nokia only mentions support for 1GB MMC cards, but I was hoping it was only because 2GB cards haven't been on the market very long.

Just so everyone is sure - I've tried it with something as simple as a 128MB FAT partion at the beginning of the card; still no go. It's not the partition size that's the problem.

From the feedback I've gotten on the maemo developers list, it seems this is a kernel problem (http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/6/8/234) - So tonight I'm going to make sure there is a bug report about this logged, for what it's worth.

Brad.

frenchie
2006-06-21, 01:28
Yeah, I knew that Nokia only mentions support for 1GB MMC cards, but I was hoping it was only because 2GB cards haven't been on the market very long.

Just so everyone is sure - I've tried it with something as simple as a 128MB FAT partion at the beginning of the card; still no go. It's not the partition size that's the problem.

From the feedback I've gotten on the maemo developers list, it seems this is a kernel problem (http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/6/8/234) - So tonight I'm going to make sure there is a bug report about this logged, for what it's worth.

Brad.

Thanks, this is one of the biggest things holding me back. I need at LEAST 2gb of storage on the go. The nokia 770 is so close to being my perfect Handheld. Just give me the 2gb RSMMC card!

acdczip
2006-06-21, 01:54
Most phones nowadays can use 1+gig cards; even the Sony lockup crap. We really need to get Nokia to rewrite the kernel or/and the drivers for 1+gig cards. Personally I don't really need it but like to have it there, but I know most other people actually need it.

bradb
2006-06-22, 18:11
Ask and you shall receive, if you dare:

Checkout bugzilla, bug #621. Someone has applied the patch to support 2GB MMC cards! To apply the new kernel...

download the zImage (http://www.freenux.org/~mm/zImage-su-18-200625) and then flash it with:

flasher-2.0 -f -k zImage-su-18-200625

I've done a few quick tests and I can now see and use my 2GB card! I'm hoping this will get rolled back into the official release soon.

Brad.

acdczip
2006-06-22, 18:32
Great to hear about it, now I can recommend the N770 to friends and others who like to have mp3 and videos. Most of those people ***** about the memory size, and usually they compare the n770 to the ipod or the zen players.

NokNok770
2006-06-22, 20:39
Wooohooo...I'm going to order a 2 gig card when I get home...Anyone wants to buy 1 gig card from me....I have 2 of them. It's hard to keep track of of one of them...I always leave it in my pocket and almost getting it in the washer and dryer. Now does that mean it will support 3 gig cards??? haha...j/k

NokNok770
2006-06-22, 22:48
I just put in an order for the 2gig card. I won't have to ever switch cards again.

Milhouse
2006-06-23, 08:22
Perhaps to increase the likelihood of this patch making it into the shipping firmware everyone should add a vote for #621 (https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=621). :)

frenchie
2006-06-23, 22:36
Yippee!!! I found my new toy :-)

GlacialPhoenix
2006-06-27, 03:25
At http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,75023,00.html they specifically say that it can only go up to 1gb... :(

Perhapse something will change in a future OS version?

fuslit
2006-06-27, 19:03
ordered one and will flash the new kernal today :)

Can't wait to have some more space then my little 256mb card!

-Todd

NokNok770
2006-06-28, 00:50
Hello All, just got my kingston 2gb card. I'm flashing for the first time using VMWare ubuntu linux, but I'm sort of stuck. Anyone can help would be appreciated. Here is what I've done so far.

1. start up the vmware ubuntu 5.10
2. download flasher, flasher-2.0 (tried both of them), and the patch image to the desktop
3. go to terminal and cd to Desktop
3. chmod ugo+x flasher flasher-2.0
4. ./flasher --query-root-device

It gives me "suitible usb device not found, waiting"

I've tried rebooting the 770, plugging it directly to the computer's usb port, and pulling the battery out and putting it back in, no luck. I need ubuntu to recognize the 770 before I can flash it. I'll try any distro on a CD if you know it's working as I haven't have the time to install a full version linux yet.

frenchie
2006-06-28, 01:00
At http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,75023,00.html they specifically say that it can only go up to 1gb... :(

Perhapse something will change in a future OS version?

Read the news, you can use 2gb rsmmc cards.

Also, they probably just put that because when the Nokia 770 came out 1gb cards were the max.

bradb
2006-06-28, 04:33
NokNok-

Ok, what you probably want to do is in two steps: First, you want to upgrade to the 2006 Beta OS. Before you flash, you need to download the latest FIASCO image. You can find it here (http://www.maemo.org/downloads/nokia_770)

Then, flash the image. Looks like your options are wrong. Look at this (http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HOWTO_FlashLatestNokiaImageWithLinux) page, just use "flasher-2.0" and the name of the beta image instead.

After that, you'll need to upgrade the kernel to support 2GB cards. The instructions to do that are here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16629&postcount=23).

Hope this helps,

Brad.

EDIT: Oops, misread your post. If you've got the new kernel image already downloaded, the only problem is the options you're giving to flasher. See the last post above - it assumes that you're already running 2006 (you'll need to flash to the 2006 Beta as the kernel image won't work for the older OS).

kimmoj
2006-06-28, 04:42
The flashing problems you have could be either a VMware problem (you're running in a virtual machine, which may give you troubles with the USB connection right there) or more likely it is the fact that you're running a really new kernel. To get flasher-2.0 to work on really new Linuxes you have (at least for now) use perl to make it work.

It is very well hidden indeed, but if you search diligently for a looong time on the Maemo.org wiki, you'll eventually find this page:

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Flasher_tool_usage

If you then scroll down about halfway on the page, you'll find an obscure perl command that you need to run and that should help Linuxes with a really new kernel to find the 770 via USB. Worked for me...

NokNok770
2006-06-28, 14:06
Thanks for the tip. I did that. Still it did not recognize it though. I think it is because I'm running it under VMWare virtual machine.

In the process of trying to flash this image I've bricked my 770. When I reboot the 770, it goes about 60% and then reboots infinitely until I pull out the battery. The thing is, I didn't even get the flasher program to recognize the 770. How can the act of trying to flash breaks the 770. This is very strange. Later on today I might try a linux from A CD or something.

fanoush
2006-06-28, 14:11
You may try to hold home key while N770 reboots or while you turn it on. This should just let it sit and wait for the flasher. Then you may experiment with flasher until it detects the device.

NokNok770
2006-06-28, 21:56
Great news...I got the 2gig card working. I had to use Knoppix CD and reflash 2006 image. Then I flashed the 2gig patch image. At first it recognize but said that my card was corrupted. Then I format it in windows and put it back in the 770. After a couple of tries it started to work. Still working. I put about 30 megs of pdf on there and used the pdf reader for the first time since 2006 OS. I must say that pdf viewer is quite acceptable now. One bad thing is you can't go to next page while in full screen mode and zoomed in easily. They still need to improve on it.

Thanks bradb, fanoush, kimoj.

acdczip
2006-06-29, 00:31
Have you guys and gals seen the price for 64 MB and 128MB RS-MMC card on the Nokia USA site!

128MB $69.95
64MB $49.95

The Nokia marketing personels must be smoking something reallllllllly good!
The best part is, it's not even available yet "coming soon" next to the price tag.
Just wondering how soon, maybe until we have 4 GB cards around. lol

kimmoj
2006-06-29, 05:12
Glad to hear you're back up and running, NokNok. I tried the VMware route myself first but found that a pure Linux solution (Knoppix for me too) worked much better. Pretty easy to do too, just download and burn the CD and you're good to go.

Manufacturers always have nutty prices on accessories. That's one reason why Newegg & co do so well - they sell at more reasonable prices. ;)

Palin
2006-07-03, 09:50
Great news...I got the 2gig card working. I had to use Knoppix CD and reflash 2006 image. Then I flashed the 2gig patch image. At first it recognize but said that my card was corrupted. Then I format it in windows and put it back in the 770. After a couple of tries it started to work. Still working. I put about 30 megs of pdf on there and used the pdf reader for the first time since 2006 OS. I must say that pdf viewer is quite acceptable now. One bad thing is you can't go to next page while in full screen mode and zoomed in easily. They still need to improve on it.

Thanks bradb, fanoush, kimoj.

Could you please tell me exactly what you did?

I have a Kingston 2GB which doesn't work on the 770, it says it's damaged or unformatted or corrupted. I already formatted the card both in windows and in another Nokia phone (6680), both these devices work fine with the card.

NokNok770
2006-07-03, 12:24
Could you please tell me exactly what you did?

I have a Kingston 2GB which doesn't work on the 770, it says it's damaged or unformatted or corrupted. I already formatted the card both in windows and in another Nokia phone (6680), both these devices work fine with the card.

Hey it's fixed now...go download the image and patch it.

Palin
2006-07-03, 12:32
Palin,

This is considered old thread now. The 2gig card worked on the 2006Beta OS with a patch, but it doesn't work with the 2006 Final OS yet. I'm sure someone will create a patch soon, but for now I'm stuck with a non working 2gb card also...again.

I apologize, I supposed the patch was integrated in the new release.
I'm waiting for it! :)

bradb
2006-07-07, 21:41
This was in my mailbox this morning, from Mik, the guy who gave me a link to the first 2006 beta kernel with the MMC patches:

have fun guys :
OS2006 patched kernel : http://www.freenux.org/~mm/zImage-su-18-200627

working for me :)

(flash with "flasher-2.0 -f -k zImage-su-18-200627")

And works for me too! It's heaven... back up with 2GB, unionfs, and far less crashes than the 2006 Beta...

This means the kernel sources have been finally released, so if you've been wanting to mess with NFS support, you should be able to build a kernel that will work now.

Brad.

NokNok770
2006-07-07, 23:10
Woohoo...gotta thank that guy Mickael Marchand for making this for us.

bonamiami
2006-07-08, 00:29
how do i install this patch?

markr041
2006-08-04, 16:40
I think I understand how to patch with flasher.

I am new to Linux, my question is only will patching os2006 wipe out all my programs and settings, like upgrading the OS, or not?

Palin
2006-08-04, 16:42
Nope. Flashing this way merely overwrites the kernel part.

Worked flawlessly for me (R) :D

markr041
2006-08-04, 17:18
Thanks. I guess I will give it a go!

markr041
2006-08-05, 00:43
Ok. I have loaded up ubuntu live on my intel windows machine in order to use flasher-2.0 to add the ability to use 2GB cards for my Nokia 770. I have moved the flasher-2.0 program to the unbuntu home directory along with the relevant patch file. I have performed in terminal the 'chmod +x flasher-2.0' command. Then when I type flasher-2.0, I get the message 'command not found'. I am invoking the program in the same directory (I can see it with ls). I am not an experienced linux user, so I just don't get what is going on. What should I be doing differently?

Serge
2006-08-05, 05:27
type ./flasher-2.0

markr041
2006-08-05, 14:49
Yes! That did the trick for getting flasher to run.

But now I get when I attempt to flash the 770 (when it is plugged in, and the device is recognized):

Error claiming USB interface: operation not permitted

Now what? I am running Ubuntu Live.

markr041
2006-08-05, 15:25
OK, I figured out this was a root access problem. Needed to do sudo ./flasher-2.0 etc.

Then it worked; took 2 seconds.

Luna
2006-08-17, 13:39
The easiest approach for a windows user is just to boot a knoppix dvd, copy flasher to temp and have at it.

dugby
2006-08-23, 01:45
Hello and thankyou to all those who have contributed to 2Gb cards working on a 770.

Now I believe I am one of the 1st Australian's to get a 770. Last night I reset the OS to 2006.

Many thanks for all the contributions, so far, as it was this thread that got me into the 770 , rather than a Sharp Zaurus.

Dugby in Australia

dugby
2006-08-23, 02:34
Procedure to update the OS2006 in the Nokia 770 to support 2Gb Kingston RS-MMC memory cards.

This procedure assumes you have already updated the Nokia 770 to OS2006. Insert the 2GB card into the memory slot at this point.

Note: You need to have access to a PC with USB2 ports running Linux.

a) obtain "flasher-2.0" from http://www.maemo.org/downloads/d3.php and download this onto a PC which has USB2 ports, running Linux (I used RHEL3, aka RedHat).

b) obtain "zImage-su-18-200627" from www.freenux.org/~mm/zImage-su-18-200627 and download to this to the same PC running Linux, into the same director as the flasher-2.0

c) Turn off your Nokia 770 and do not have power supply attached to Nokia 770. Attach the Nokia 770 via USB to the PC. Do not power on the Nokia 770 yet.

c) In the Linux PC, in the directory where you have put the above two files, execute the command
"./flasher-2.0 -f -k zImage-su-18-200627"

the PC will respond with

"flasher v0.8.1 (May 30 2006)
Suitable USB device not found, waiting"

d) Now insert the power supply to the Nokia 770 , which will switch on the Nokia 770 and display the USB symbol in top right corner. This step takes only 2 minutes.

The PC will automatically respond with something similar to-

USB device found found at bus 001, device address 002
Found device SU-18, hardware revision 1802
NOLO version 0.9.11
Version of 'sw-release': SU-18_2006SE_1.2006.26-8_PR_MRO
Sending kernel image (1236 kB)...
100% (1236 of 1236 kB, avg. 579kB/s)
Flashing kernel... done.

e) disconnect Nokia 770 from the USB cable, remove power, allow Nokia 770 to be re booted, (it seems to do it twice)...

f) using the Control Panel and then Memory display, you should see that the memory card has 1.94GB

Hurrrrraaaayyyy !!!!!

Dugby in Australia

goldbond
2006-08-23, 14:53
UPDATE: Appears to be working with Kingston. I increased swap and switch to mmc aok.

----------------

I am going to try the 2 gb Kingston MMC Mobile in the next 2 days. Will follow the instructions posted yesterday.

Thank you!

emarcell
2006-08-23, 21:53
Thanks Dugby!

Following your instructions it went like a dream. Now I have (almost) 2 gigs available.

Marcell from Cyprus :)

schmolch
2006-08-28, 20:58
Does the card have to be formatted or can the 770 do it?
I dont have a card-reader so ....

dugby
2006-08-30, 01:35
Does the card have to be formatted or can the 770 do it?
I dont have a card-reader so ....

I just took the card straight out of the packaging and started using it, without any formatting, with the instructions I posted a few days ago, in this thread.

chappel
2006-09-20, 02:37
I just got a 770 new, and a Kingston 2g card not realizing it wasn't supported. I'm on my 4th day of fighting to make it go. Before I found this thread I tried re-partitioning the card into smaller sections, then in different formats (it did say something about fat32 somewhere, right?), then following Dugby's fine instructions. I get to where I add power to the 770, but the 'flasher-2.0' continues to say "Suitable USB device not found, waiting". I can see in the /var/log/messages that the USB device is detected -

Sep 19 18:17:32 PHB28V81 kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 15
Sep 19 18:17:32 PHB28V81 kernel: usb 3-1: new device found, idVendor=0421, idProduct=0105
Sep 19 18:17:32 PHB28V81 kernel: usb 3-1: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Sep 19 18:17:32 PHB28V81 kernel: usb 3-1: Product: Nokia 770 (Update mode)
Sep 19 18:17:32 PHB28V81 kernel: usb 3-1: Manufacturer: Nokia
Sep 19 18:17:32 PHB28V81 kernel: usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Sep 19 18:17:33 PHB28V81 kernel: usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 15

I see it's in "update mode", and get the USB icon in the upper right corner of the otherwise blank 770 display, but only for a second or so (and I notice the log shows a disconnect at about the same time). Then there is a pause, and the 770 re-attaches, but no longer in "update mode".

I thought I may have screwed up the formating, so I've re-formatted the 2G card a couple different ways (in windows as fat16 and fat32, in linux as vfat), always with the same result. I even stuck the original 64M card back in (which works fine), and got the exact same thing.

I'm running SuSE 10.1 on an intel32 Dell D610 laptop (running the flasher-2.0, v0.8.1 as root).
The 770 says it's running version 1.2006.26-8 (2006 was pre-installed).

I noticed the card mounts as /dev/sdb1, and I've seen references to USB devices on /dev/sda1 - is the USB just showing up where the flasher isn't looking for it, or do I have some version incompatibility issue?

Any thoughts?

ch

koi529
2006-09-20, 02:51
does anyone know how to make 2gb rs mmc work on 770, if i don't have a pc running linux, i am very knew to this. any help will be greatly appreciated

chappel
2006-09-20, 03:25
OK - something like 3 hours later -
In hopes of saving others some time, here's what DIDN'T seem to help:
tried flasher instead of flasher-2.0
pulled laptop out of docking station
tried USB port in back of laptop instead of on side
tried with stock 64M card in 770
tried with NO card in 770
tried turning 770 all the way on
tried mac osx flasher on powerbook (but it only has USB1)
FINALLY -
tried flasher-2.0 on Ubuntu 5 box (with AMD-64 processor - didn't think it would work, but in case you haven't noticed I'm getting punchy)
and IT WORKS!

I'm not sure what exactly it didn't like about my dell D610 and SuSE 10.1; I suspect the hardware, though.

Thanks, Dugby, for the fine tutorial. I might just add that if there are any unix newbies out there, you'll probably need a 'chmod +x flasher-2.0' to make the file executable, and probably need to run it as root (or try 'sudo ./flasher-2.0 -f -k zImage-su-18-200627 - which I think has been mentioned further up the thread).

Good Luck!!

dgpretzel2
2006-09-20, 18:02
koi529,

I used knoppix (on an XP Pro laptop) and followed dugby's tips (earlier in this thread).

Worked great.

DG

sevo
2006-09-20, 22:32
I have no idea whether the Win installer for 2.0 would do in place of the 2.0 flasher - it probably should, but with the entire .NET package as a requirement I was in no mood to figure that out.

However, as long as you are on any x86 computer with USB, you are probably set - some among the dozens of Linux distro live CDs are bound to work on almost every hardware - at a pinch, try several until you find one where both gfx and usb work...

Sevo

Demios
2006-09-30, 08:55
I used dugby's guide (thanks) and knoppix (thanks dgpretzel2) and it flashed in just a few seconds.

I formatted the card with windows to be FAT (for smaller cluster size) and all works fine.

atmasphere
2006-10-24, 23:49
I just received a 2GB card (wish I had read this first) and need to run flasher from Mac OS X... anyone have any warnings / experience they'd like to share?

mdecarabas
2006-10-27, 23:23
I joined just to thank you guys for the info. I just got the device this week and a 2GB Kingston card today. I flashed the new kernel image and I'm seeing 1.9 odd GB.

I used the 2.0 flasher for for OS X on a PowerPC Mac and NOT an Intel Mac. I followed the instructions given in this thread. The only thing that I had to do that differed was make the flasher executable from the terminal.

Thanks again!

gyulac
2006-10-28, 11:42
I have followed the same instructions in an INTEL Mac (replacing the executable) and it also works.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

cman74
2006-10-29, 17:31
Hello. I just picked up my 770 yesterday and loving every minute using it.

To my dismay, I found out that the 2GB RS-MMC is not compatible without patching.

Is it possible for that one of the kind Mac owners could give some instructions (Ala Dugby) on how to do this? I don't own a PC or use Linux and don't have any experience flashing firmwares.

I'm a little faint of heart so is a process like this easy for even novice?

Thanks and it seems like a great/helpful little community here at Table Talk! Glad to be here!

rtinker
2007-07-10, 17:22
Hello,
I know this is an old thread, but I am new to the 770 and this topic is just what I am looking for.
I have version 3.2006.49-2 on my 770 and I want to know if this supports the 2GB RS-MMC memory. Does anybody know? If it does not, then what is the process for flashing the update when all you have are Windoze XP PCs? Can Nokia's Windows Flash utility apply patches like zImage-su-18-200627?

Thanks!

Milhouse
2007-07-10, 22:39
3.2006.49-2 supports 2GB RS-MMC.

The Windows Flash utility cannot apply patches, for this you need the Linux flasher (if you don't have Linux, consider a Live CD distribution or VMWare).

rtinker
2007-07-10, 23:09
Thank you sir!

It did not dawn on me what Live CD Distribution was the first few times I read it in this thread, but when you said it just now it dawned on me what it is - yes, that would be a viable solution for a patch, but apparently I won't need it!