PDA

View Full Version : [Canola] my wish list

nola mike
2008-06-09, 18:05
pretty good app; i've been looking for something that fills all of my music needs, canola comes close. here's what i'd like to see:

1. support for scanning through an individual track through the d-pad. i understand this is supposed to be primarily touch screen, but if i can't/don't want to take out the nit and look at the screen, it would be nice if holding down the d-pad would scroll through a track, or if tapping it would advance 10 seconds or whatever.
2. save state. why do none of the players remember what i was listening to when i shut down? i'd like to end up at the same point in the same folder in the same track when i reopen the app.
3. ability to change the 'priorities' of the display. this i'm sure takes a lot of work, but really i just want to see a) the name of the track/artist/album, and b) where i am in the song. i'd love to be able to omit album art and the like, and just have a and b in big honkin' text.
4. equalizer. again, i'm sure it would take work, but would be nice.

really, 1 and 2 are keeping me from adopting canola full time. i do think the kinetic scrolling is cool, and thanks for allowing me to open up an individual folder instead of forcing me to choose by album/artist/genre (this seems like another no-brainer, but most players don't have this option)

handful
2008-06-12, 11:57
pretty good app; i've been looking for something that fills all of my music needs, canola comes close. here's what i'd like to see:

1. support for scanning through an individual track through the d-pad. i understand this is supposed to be primarily touch screen, but if i can't/don't want to take out the nit and look at the screen, it would be nice if holding down the d-pad would scroll through a track, or if tapping it would advance 10 seconds or whatever.

The scanning you mean seek right? Yes this is indeed to be implemented together with the full hardware key support (we have some ideas, I posted about) Tap is going always to jump to next track. Only in videos that it would advance like that ok? :)

2. save state. why do none of the players remember what i was listening to when i shut down? i'd like to end up at the same point in the same folder in the same track when i reopen the app.

Well, because we are under development :) It takes time dude. It's not possible to do everything at once. We did for the most important part: podcast but we need now bookmarks. :) that solves everything. It will come.

3. ability to change the 'priorities' of the display. this i'm sure takes a lot of work, but really i just want to see a) the name of the track/artist/album, and b) where i am in the song. i'd love to be able to omit album art and the like, and just have a and b in big honkin' text.

Yeah, this is more complicated. Giving too much options will make things not only more complicated code-wise but too much option can be a trap in the concept design. But maybe AT least the album art could be omitted. Giving more space for name etc. We have the design: for FM radio / non-cover-enabled podcast etc. It's really possible to be implemented soon.

[/quote]
4. equalizer. again, i'm sure it would take work, but would be nice.

really, 1 and 2 are keeping me from adopting canola full time. i do think the kinetic scrolling is cool, and thanks for allowing me to open up an individual folder instead of forcing me to choose by album/artist/genre (this seems like another no-brainer, but most players don't have this option)[/QUOTE]

Equalizer is funny, a couple of people have requested, and we could play around with it, but I honestly didn't investigated with media guys if there's a way to do that (like in the media engine, not on canola) and this may also (like I said in the flac thread) become a small plugin for a group of students I'm guiding (they are getting scholarship, learning maemo development and python) the python part of course the first task is a canola plugin:) A lot of users request will be done that way, and the ones (like this) that will maybe rely on lower level components may take more time but also are possible!

Thanks for the feedback!

Marcelo

Hawkeye Mole
2008-06-12, 13:54
I'd like a stock ticker that included options...but I am not smart enough to make one.