PDA

View Full Version : [Debian] Continuing development of Debian on NITs

Johnx
2008-06-15, 15:50
This is a development thread. For discussion about *using* Debian on the N8x0 please head over here: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20053&highlight=debian .

I decided to start a thread for discussion about further development of Debian on the tablets. I realize that my documentation for how I actually put Debian on my N800 is somewhat lacking, but the truth is it was really an evolutionary effort, with lots of false starts and blind alleys. I'm going to redo my whole install over the next couple days, and do it *the right way* while documenting all my steps. That should give anyone interested in further development a better start.

Something else I'd like to discuss here is how to proceed. Is there enough interest in continuing to refine this that we should actually try and get a real project page setup? Who is interested in doing what, and how can I help you get started?

Thanks for all your support and interest! :D

-John

Capn_Fish
2008-06-15, 16:43
I'd be happy to help on this project (I already have keymaps to contribute!).

A SF page would be great, and would provide hosting, IMO (Not my original idea, JohnX proposed it).

EDIT: Also, a way of charging while running Debian would be nice. Maybe it can be stolen from Maemo (I can't BELIEVE that they ditched APM!)?

EDIT2: And a custom kernel with modules people may find useful (such as USB-Ethernet chipsets, maybe USB-VGA drivers, while keeping it compatible with OS2008)

EDIT3 (last one, hopefully, for this post): And for right clicking, the GTK thing is unnecessary. The Zaurus world is using XBindKeys to do it.

Capn_Fish
2008-06-15, 18:41
For using XBindKeys, see this post:

http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=25846&st=0&start=0

It's post #4.

Benson
2008-06-16, 14:10
EDIT: Also, a way of charging while running Debian would be nice. Maybe it can be stolen from Maemo (I can't BELIEVE that they ditched APM!)?Ditched APM? This isn't x86, and doesn't have anything resembling a PC BIOS, so I'm pretty sure APM is completely irrelevant. I think bme is running anyway, but haven't checked; are you sure it's not charging?[/quote]

EDIT2: And a custom kernel with modules people may find useful (such as USB-Ethernet chipsets, maybe USB-VGA drivers, while keeping it compatible with OS2008)That's awesome, but really a completely independent project. I'm not thinking of any kernel modules that would be useful only under Debian, so this would have much broader utility than Debian.

Johnx
2008-06-16, 15:01
I'd be happy to help on this project (I already have keymaps to contribute!).

A SF page would be great, and would provide hosting, IMO (Not my original idea, JohnX proposed it).

I applied for a Garage page. I'd like to get away from doing big "tarball" releases anyways, in favor of packages that can be added to a vanilla debian armel install to provide tablet specific support.

EDIT: Also, a way of charging while running Debian would be nice. Maybe it can be stolen from Maemo (I can't BELIEVE that they ditched APM!)?

It does charge while Debian is running. bme runs from initfs. All of the functions normally handled by APM can be done some other way. This isn't really a big problem in the long run...

EDIT2: And a custom kernel with modules people may find useful (such as USB-Ethernet chipsets, maybe USB-VGA drivers, while keeping it compatible with OS2008)

Packages with additional modules seem like a great idea. This kind of modular approach seems like the most sane idea going forward.

EDIT3 (last one, hopefully, for this post): And for right clicking, the GTK thing is unnecessary. The Zaurus world is using XBindKeys to do it.

This is another reason I'd like to move away from a monolithic root tarball: Having packages that provide different ways to emulate right/middle click seem like a much better idea then trying to force one official way on people. As a N800 user, I don't really want to sacrifice two of my very limited selection of buttons when I can just tap and hold.

-John

qole
2008-06-16, 17:20
I agree that you should post a lean-and-mean setup as the core install. I would love to see a minimal bootable Debian system as a tarball / deb with add-on debs for various features / functionalities. The Garage is brutally restrictive when it comes to file sizes.

Having done a lot of Debian apt-get installs on the tablet that turn a 100MB rootfs into a 600+MB bloat-system, I've grown to appreciate how much of your initial development is getting that lean, bootable core with none of those bloaty, unecessary packages, but also including custom rebuilt packages from maemo / Nokia to support the hardware.

Over on our chroot discussion page, we've managed to get a minimal Debian rootfs to compress down to 28MB. I guess the problem is that you can't boot to a terminal, because killing the Xomap X server makes the device reboot. So I think your XFce route is still probably the best. If anything, you could go even more lean and not include any WM at all, just start a full-screen X-Term in the core package.

You could have a separate deb in the project downloads for device-specific (not available from Debian repos) window-manager addons.

Johnx
2008-06-16, 17:39
In the end what I'd like to do is just be providing a couple custom packages (or scripts the automatically build those packages). Users will just use debootstrap (or a script will use it for them), which will just go out to the debian servers, download some packages and assemble a rootfs. Maybe we'd provide a couple virtual/dummy packages to depend on sets of software, in the same way that "xfce4" depends on everything needed for a basic xfce4 desktop.

Of course, we or someone else could provide a nicely configured debian rootfs if they wanted, but I don't think that's an ideal situation. It makes upgrading as annoying as reflashing and is also hard on bandwidth.

Does all that seem reasonable?

-John

Benson
2008-06-16, 17:59
Of course, we or someone else could provide a nicely configured debian rootfs if they wanted, but I don't think that's an ideal situation. It makes upgrading as annoying as reflashing and is also hard on bandwidth.
Also, it's not clear to me (I haven't really looked :o) what, if any, files in the Debian rootfs are actually closed-source Nokia stuff; if any of those are there, it's technically a legal problem to distribute that rootfs. (Not practically a problem at this stage, but certainly something that should be cleared up.) Scripts to build any necessary packages containing limited-distribution stuff from your own firmware seem like a good solution here. But IANAL, of course.

qole
2008-06-16, 18:19
Scripts to build any necessary packages containing limited-distribution stuff from your own firmware seem like a good solution here.

That is an excellent idea. The user already has those files, they'd be just copied over by the script to the correct places.

BTW: I found my debootstrap rootfs has a locale problem when I chroot to it and start installing stuff; what files do I copy over from ITOS to make the Debian apps shut up about not having the right locale configured?

debernardis
2008-06-16, 18:53
shouldn't you do "dpkg-reconfigure locales" ?

Capn_Fish
2008-06-16, 19:15
Ditched APM? This isn't x86, and doesn't have anything resembling a PC BIOS, so I'm pretty sure APM is completely irrelevant. I think bme is running anyway, but haven't checked; are you sure it's not charging?

OK, I guess it was charging. Sorry for the mistake. :eek: How about making the LEDs work, then

That's awesome, but really a completely independent project. I'm not thinking of any kernel modules that would be useful only under Debian, so this would have much broader utility than Debian.[/QUOTE]

How is it an independent project? Modules for common USB-ethernet chipsets would be nice to have, or for FUSE (if they're not there already). A kernel/set of kernel modules providing common functionality is completely in line with running Debian, IMO.

Benson
2008-06-16, 19:35
Well, it's a separate project because it works with Debian, and without Debian, equally well. It strikes me as ******ed to collect them as part of the Debian project when that only makes them accessible to a small portion of potential uses, and gains no benefit. Is there a benefit that I'm missing?

Capn_Fish
2008-06-17, 01:41
Hmm...That I'm too lazy to make my own project? :)

I'll just end up compiling my own personal kernel, then. No problem.

Capn_Fish
2008-06-29, 03:37
I think that the biggest thing to focus on now is getting X11 working fully again. A recent round of updates borked it.

Is there a newer version of Xomap we could build/use? Does Diablo ship with a later version?

Stskeeps
2008-06-29, 11:43
Just wanted to give notice of some work me and johnx have been working on the last weeks..

We have basically made a debian installer for the NITs that debootstraps and creates a proper debian image (without having to fetch a huge tar.gz), on the tablet itself.

So far status:
* Sane Debian setup - works just as well as a standard Debian
* Proper fsck - remounting the root file system read-only so the OS can actually fsck the FS.
* X11 is working with touchscreen support
* WLAN works (with WPA2 too)
* I've had xfce4, afterstep etc. working already

You can view the technical information at http://wiki.maemo.org/Debian_for_NITs_development on how it's done.

If anyone is interested in contributing packages or ideas how to proceed from this foundation/or have comments, either contact me/johnx or reply in this thread :)

Capn_Fish
2008-06-29, 15:27
I'd add in the right/middle clicking trick, and updated keymaps, if they're not there already. I have keymaps (both Xmodmaps and keymap.maps, both the standard set up and a customized one), and can provide details on how to set up the clicking.

Glad to hear this is still being worked on! I thought interest had stalled.

b-man
2008-07-24, 21:51
Here is a list of bugs that i have incounterd while testing Debian beta4:

* The browser fails to launch (input/output error)
* Xfce4 sessions manager fails
* Matchbox has conflicts with the window manager settings manager (doesn't support it :()
* The vertual keyboard has no input (might be my falt :p)
* No splash screen
* The "debian" section of the xfce4 menu is not visible (if you tap on the debian menu it does nothing)
* Some windows are mis-shapted and buttons/text on the screen are displaced
* The top panel on the top of the screen crashes when you try to re-locate it
* No rotate application (this has ben addresed by Stskeeps)
* No way to safely exit Debian (the xfce4 power menu fails and as stated above i can't use the keyboard in the terminal, could be my falt :p)

Those are the bugs i have incounterd so far. This may verry depending on how it was installed. (I used my N800 for the install only, no ssh.)

Stskeeps
2008-07-25, 03:35
Regarding b-mans post..
Okay, let me just explain a bit about how things work in nit debian.

Basically the default environment 'nit-env-stskeeps' that is installed is a mix between xfce4 and matchbox, so that causes bugs like bug 2, 3, 5 and the last one.

The environment also intentionally does not depend on a web browser.

If you want to change to full xfce4 you can apt-get remove nit-env-stskeeps and the.Debian alternatives system will cause xfce4 to boot up instead next boot, but may be without networkmanager applet etc.

the dialog problem is simply cos of screen size i guess.

Do me a favour and report bugs on the trac page of the project so we can keep track of them :)

Regarding environments i recommend you look at /nit-base-packages/nit-env-* and see how to make a Debian package with an environment of your own others may have use of.

You can build a package in /n-b-p by dpkg-deb --build directory and then dpkg -i directory.deb to test.

Debian menu is prolly empty cos not that much is installed that isn't shown in main xfce menu.

Panel moving and virtual keyboard does sound like a bug so please file on trac.

Apologies for odd post structure, in a car with tablet and grps:)

fatalsaint
2008-07-25, 13:15
Wireless still doesn't work for me =-\... dunno wth is wrong with my NIT..wpa reports an unable to post association with driver error when it tries to associate to 00:00:00:00:00 ... very odd.

I was having similar problems when i did just the wireless part on Johns beta3... i eventually got it working in beta3 so chances are I will here too, but for some reason wireless is just proving not to be plug and play for me =-(

fatalsaint
2008-07-29, 00:49
i re-loaded the beta4 from svn and it got up to the point of loading nit-env-x .. i just wanted a basic x system.. it failed on dependency of n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap.. for some reason the files were in the nit-base-packages but the deb wasnt built. So from there i built that deb..installed nit-env-x and icewm.. set the root password and rebooted.

now icewm starts ans the touchscreen works perfectly but the n810 keyboard doesn't work at all.. running xev shows no input and i cant even type the normal letters in a terminal.

also xvkbd constantly repeats the last clicked key so that makes typing with that a pita. Anyone know how to get X to see even the basics of the n810 keyboard??

fatalsaint
2008-07-29, 04:22
ok that problem with the keyboard was fixed by

apt-get install dpkg -reinstall

because the install was interrupted the hal and dbus weren't working right.. now for my wireless.. i've found if i enable ssid broadcasting i can get a good connection for about 10 minites.. it doesn't like hidden ssid's for some reason.

Anyway.. after the 10 minutes it kicks me off and won't reconnect... and wpa_cli shows it trying to connect to my ap mac but says

association request to driver failed

Over and over. This wireless is kicking my *** and the only thing keeping me from staying in debian.

Stskeeps
2008-07-29, 04:36
Anyway.. after the 10 minutes it kicks me off and won't reconnect... and wpa_cli shows it trying to connect to my ap mac but says

association request to driver failed

Over and over. This wireless is kicking my *** and the only thing keeping me from staying in debian.

Do you use nm-applet or networkmanager or raw wpasupplicant?

Regarding the n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap i forgot to include it in installer config.py, but it should be in SVN right now. Still a alpha release :)

(I am off to the mountains of poland with my tablet the next days, so wont be on.)

Please report any issues with the system to http://trac.tspre.org/projects/nit-debian :)

Try see if it has something to do with Wifi powersaving? Look into the wifi_powersave.py script and disable this init.d script and see if it helps? /etc/init.d/dsmetools

fatalsaint
2008-07-29, 04:46
Do you use nm-applet or networkmanager or raw wpasupplicant?

I use nm-applet but i watch the process manually in the shell with wpa_cli.. its still an old habbit of mine from manually configuring wpa with linux before the GUI days :)

Regarding the n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap i forgot to include it in installer config.py, but it should be in SVN right now. Still a alpha release :)

No problem-- the structure was there.. was all i needed.. and i know its alpha..please dont take any problems i put in here as a negative to all of your hard work. I have the upmost respect and admiration for all of you guys that have put all this together.

(I am off to the mountains of poland with my tablet the next days, so wont be on.)

Please report any issues with the system to http://trac.tspre.org/projects/nit-debian :)

good luck and have fun!!! I'm still not all that familiar with trackers... thats why I haven't usd it yet :)

fatalsaint
2008-07-29, 04:48
Try see if it has something to do with Wifi powersaving? Look into the wifi_powersave.py script and disable this init.d script and see if it helps? /etc/init.d/dsmetools

will do! anything to try at this point is something.. thanks!

b-man
2008-07-30, 12:56
Have you also tryed wifi-radar? It uses it's own demon at startup so it runs fairly independent of the network-manager witch could also help for some things. It's also so far ben the most relyable and easy to use wierless manager that i've ben using.:) The only problem i have had with it is that if their is a ton of wierless connections around it becomes a little laggy.

fatalsaint
2008-07-30, 13:55
I'll take a look at that as well.. Since I turned SSID broadcasting on my router back on I am able to get connected and stay connected for a seeming random period of time before getting cut off.. but I am always able to get back on now.. don't have the problem with the association anymore.. not sure what changed.. I did reload beta4 though.

I will load wifi-radar and see if it stays connected overnight.. and if it does I'll try masking the SSID again and see if it can handle that as well.

fatalsaint
2008-07-31, 05:10
Ok you Nit-Debian people... can you guys tell me whats outputted with these two commands.

find /dev -group audio
lsmod

for some reason getting sound is kicking my butt. I dont have /dev/dsp or /dev/dsptask/pcm3 or anything of the sort... im wondering if i am supposed to and how to get them if so. I have all the alsa stuff loaded and am tinkering with /etc/asound.conf but I'm just not getting it. (remember my nit-debian installer crashed).

Stskeeps
2008-07-31, 06:31
Regarding sound, I think johnx is working on it. It is also on bug tracker as not working right now:)

fatalsaint
2008-07-31, 14:39
Oh??? Could have swore it was working in beta3 ... hrm...

Fair enough.. I'll keep tinkering with it and if I find anything will let you know.

Stskeeps
2008-07-31, 14:56
Well nit-debian is made "from scratch", as in its Debian for tablets "done right", with structured hacks to get things working on tablets, whereas beta3 was a evolved debian image, so beyond some borrowed hacks it shares no common code :), but i guess people calling it beta4 may contribute to that confusion.

It's better to see nit-debian as a new way to run Debian on the tablets, a sortof cleanup effort/future proof solution from previous ways.

fatalsaint
2008-07-31, 15:00
Well they were both bootable debian's that run on the tablets..

The point is the guy who seemingly put out beta3 is one of the guys working on nit-debian.. which logic would then seem that if he was able to get sound working in beta3.. even if you start from scratch.. the same thing should work to get sound working in the next release, no?

Where the did the initial image in the beta series come from?? it had to start from scratch at some level did it not?

And when you move from beta-x to beta-x+1 .. a "cleanup effort/future proof solution" is typically what it's about :).. you always cleanup previous beta problems while fixing the flaws.

The reason I call it beta4 is that both the beta series and the nit-series have the same guy working on it.. even though the nit-series has a few more people on the project; and a lot more enhancements since beta3.

b-man
2008-08-01, 01:23
Hello, i know that this is a bit off-topic but today i was able to successfuly install GNOME:D:D:D!!!, BUT when i booted debian up it went into a login screen (not a boot login) but the gnome login screen and i've discoverd a FATAL PROBLEM!!:(:(, I am using a N800 so i have NO way to actually log in since i have no keyboard.:(.....Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: and what's even worse is that even though my touchscreen is responding, the kursor on the screen will NOT move, my guess is that this is because when i installed gnome, i believe that it installed a nother x-server?? I installed this on a "nit-evn-x" install. Is it possible that i could create some kind of hack that could fix theas problems???, I am sorry for being so frantic about this, it's just the fact that this install took 8 HOURS to download and install.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that i used "apt-get -f install gnome" not "apt-get -f install gnome-desktop-environment".

fatalsaint
2008-08-01, 05:03
haha! good job man.

Stskeeps
2008-08-01, 06:44
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: and what's even worse is that even though my touchscreen is responding, the kursor on the screen will NOT move, my guess is that this is because when i installed gnome, i believe that it installed a nother x-server??

Well, what happened is that gnome installed gdm which is a display manager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_display_manager) , not a X server. That display manager runs /usr/bin/X without parameters which means that it won't be having touchscreen things added to the command parameter :)

I'd personally just ssh into the tablet and apt-get remove gdm, or configure it to act like /etc/init.d/x-session and provide the right parameters :)

b-man
2008-08-01, 21:32
Thanks, I've decided to edit gdm instead of uninstalling it but i am not quite shure on how to edit the file, can you help?? Here's my x-sessions file and my gdm file:

X-SESSIONS:

#!/bin/sh
. /etc/default/x-server.defs

tablet_setup()
{
USERNAME=`cat /etc/tablet_user`
/sbin/fb_update_mode manual
su - -c "startx -- $XSERVERARGS" $USERNAME &
}

case "$1" in
start|restart|force-reload)
tablet_setup
;;
stop)
;;
*)
echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/start-x-session {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
exit 3
;;
esac

GMD:

#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: gdm
# Should-Start: console-screen acpid dbus hal network-manager
# Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs
# Required-Stop: $local_fs $remote_fs
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: GNOME Display Manager
# Description: Debian init script for the GNOME Display Manager
### END INIT INFO
#
# Author: Ryan Murray <rmurray@debian.org>
#
set -e

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/gdm

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

if [ -r /etc/default/locale ]; then
. /etc/default/locale
export LANG LANGUAGE
fi

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

# To start gdm even if it is not the default display manager, change
# HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER to "false."
HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER=true
DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE=/etc/X11/default-display-manager

case "$1" in
start)
CONFIGURED_DAEMON=$(basename "$(cat $DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE 2> /dev/null)")
if [ -e "$DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE" ] && \
[ "$HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER" = "true" ] && \
[ "$CONFIGURED_DAEMON" != gdm ] ; then
log_action_msg "Not starting GNOME Display Manager; it is not the default display manager"
else
log_daemon_msg "Starting GNOME Display Manager" "gdm"
start_daemon $DAEMON
log_end_msg $?
fi
;;
stop)
log_daemon_msg "Stopping GNOME Display Manager" "gdm"
set +e
start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/gdm.pid \
--name gdm --retry 5
set -e
log_end_msg $?
;;
reload)
log_daemon_msg "Scheduling reload of GNOME Display Manager configuration" "gdm"
set +e
start-stop-daemon --stop --signal USR1 --quiet --pidfile \
/var/run/gdm.pid --name gdm
set -e
log_end_msg $?
;;
restart|force-reload)
$0 stop
$0 start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/gdm {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload}"
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0

also, is there a way to make the matchbox-keyboard launch at startup so i can log in?? I have a N800 so that may be the only way to actually gain acsess to gnome :(

fatalsaint
2008-08-01, 21:45
If I had to take a stab in the dark...

original

start)
CONFIGURED_DAEMON=$(basename "$(cat $DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER_FILE 2> /dev/null)")
log_action_msg "Not starting GNOME Display Manager; it is not the default display manager"
else
start_daemon $DAEMON
log_end_msg $?
fi
;;

New

start)
else

#USERNAME=`cat /etc/tablet_user`
XSERVERARGS="-mouse tslib -nozap -dpi 96 -wr -nolisten tcp"
start_daemon $DAEMON $XSERVERARGS
log_end_msg $?
fi
;;

Although I'm not exactly sure about the USERNAME spot.. in the x-session it uses a su - and uses the username to run it as.. with GDM I don't think you need to.. so I just added the XSERVERARGS you need from the /etc/default/x-session.defs file.

fatalsaint
2008-08-01, 21:59
an update on me... i installed the latest deb for chroot... added xpice to debian.. changed the /sbin/debian .. all i had to do was comment out the home drive mount, the passwd and group copies, and modify my /home/user/.chroot to reflect my environment..

it worked. internet worked, going to test sound...

biggest issue right now is n810 keyboard function keys didnt load obviously... and launching mine causes the reverse behavior i explain in my xmodmap thread. not sure i want to copy the x files i had to in my thread... not sure what that'll do to the bootable side.

(obviously had to install wmctrl and xserver-xephyr in debian.)

b-man
2008-08-02, 00:20
If I had to take a stab in the dark...

original

start)
else
start_daemon $DAEMON
log_end_msg $?
fi
;;

New

start)
else

#USERNAME=`cat /etc/tablet_user`
log_end_msg $?
fi
;;

Although I'm not exactly sure about the USERNAME spot.. in the x-session it uses a su - and uses the username to run it as.. with GDM I don't think you need to.. so I just added the XSERVERARGS you need from the /etc/default/x-session.defs file.

I shure hope this works:o, this is the second day in a row that i had to spend getting Debian and Gnome installed properly. The second biggest problem that i've incounterd is that i have no way to actually log in to gnome. I really need a way to eather bypass the login alltogether or possibly figure out a way to launch the vertual keyboard in the login so i can enter my user name. Is there enny known method to accomplish this?

fatalsaint
2008-08-02, 00:44
Try the command line stuff here..

http://www.linfo.org/automatic_login.html

gdmsetup from an ssh terminal.....

and im attaching a screen shot of my debian just cuz i want to :P -- this is running from chroot.

b-man
2008-08-02, 02:40
Thanks!:D, I was reading that article you provided and it said that you still needed to type some stuff in still. Is it possible to just hack the gdm script to also execute the matchbox-keyboard?
Such as "exec /usr/bin/matchbox-keyboard", if so, ware shuld this be located in the script?, I am so, so close to getting gnome to function properly and i am probibly going to be one of the first people to get a complete gnome desktop and that's exciting! :D

EDIT: also wanted to add that i tryed the "gdmsetup" command and that did not work:(.

fatalsaint
2008-08-02, 04:04
i would give u two options... ssh through another machine... or debian chroot... that will allow you to modify things by commandline.

how did u run gdmsetup?

BTW ive installed both openoffice and gimp... and very oddly i get better performance from debian ina chroot...

and wifi radar is a PITA that takes FOREVER to run. But wireless works... i still get disconnected randomly though.

eta: oh and i copied the maemo /usr/share/X11/kdb over to debian and moved to originals out of the way... it made no impact on booting debian.. keyboard still worked - and now it works in chroot.. having issues getting mpd to start though.

b-man
2008-08-02, 13:12
i would give u two options... ssh through another machine... or debian chroot... that will allow you to modify things by commandline.

how did u run gdmsetup?

BTW ive installed both openoffice and gimp... and very oddly i get better performance from debian ina chroot...

and wifi radar is a PITA that takes FOREVER to run. But wireless works... i still get disconnected randomly though.

eta: oh and i copied the maemo /usr/share/X11/kdb over to debian and moved to originals out of the way... it made no impact on booting debian.. keyboard still worked - and now it works in chroot.. having issues getting mpd to start though.

I did everything thru the command line in a chroot. Enny suggestions?

Btw, i have gimp, iceweasel, openoffice, abiword, evince, xournal, basicly everything. (because gnome installed EVERYTHING of corce:))

fatalsaint
2008-08-02, 15:56
did u see this paragraph?? do either of these exists?

An alternative approach for an experienced (or adventurous) user is to directly edit the GUI login configuration files using a text editor, such as vi or gedit. The locations of these files might vary according to the particular operating system. On Red Hat 9, for example, the gdm daemon configuration file is /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and the kde configuration file is /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc.

heres another that shows u the keys u want:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/desktop-guide/s1-ddg-lockdown-other-kiosk-configs.html

b-man
2008-08-02, 16:19
Update: I finally figured out how to get past the login!!, turned out that i neded to actually copy some of the config examples from /usr/share/gdm/defults.conf and put them into my /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and do a little hacking to make shure that it will actually run.

Result:
Good: It now will automaticly go into the desktop!!:D:D
Bad: touch screen still won't work:(
Good: The power key will automaticly launch the power menu!!:D
Bad: The gnome-settings-demon has truble launching and gnome complains a lot about that:(.
Good: The desktop looks pritty responsive, In fact, It's allmost as responsive as KDE for maemo.
Thing i'll need to add: Install a keyboard applit so i can easily get the vertual keyboard.

Everything is finally starting to work :D But i am still having touch screen truble. like before, the touch screen is responsive but the desktop still refuses to work with it. This means that untill this problem gets resolved, I have allmost no control over my desktop. The only thing that i can really do is use the power menu with my d-pad and power key. Is there enny other way to get the touch screen to work? I don't want to remove gdm because from looking into how it works, gnome relys on it because, (if i am correct) unlike xfce4, gnome doesn't use x-session directly, instead, gdm handles x-sessions for gnome and launches gnome. This means that if i remove gdm, gnome may no longer be functional. Is there enny other way to hack gdm to allow a touch screen to run?

fatalsaint
2008-08-02, 16:37
I think you need to add the options to the section "server Standard" in the gdm.conf file...there is a command= line... change that to be X and then all the command line options i showed you in my other modification...

u can take those out btw.. that just starts gdm not X; so it's ignoring those parameters.

b-man
2008-08-02, 19:15
Thanks, I will try this but i just wanted to make shure that this is set up correctly in gdm.conf file:

[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -audit 0 ; #USERNAME=`cat /etc/tablet_user`
flexible=true
# Indicates that the X server should be started at a different process
# priority. Values can be any integer value accepted by the setpriority C
# library function (normally between -20 and 20) with 0 being the default. For
# highly interactive applications, -5 yields good responsiveness. The default
# value is 0 and the setpriority function is not called if the value is 0.

#priority=0

# To use this server type you should add -query host or -indirect host to the
# command line.

Is this correct?, Just wanted to make shure:), also i've noticed that if you remove those lines in the /etc/init.d/gdm file, auto login will be disabled.

fatalsaint
2008-08-02, 21:27
no it will look like this:

[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -audit 0 -mouse tslib -nozap -dpi 96 -wr -nolisten tcp
flexible=true

you don't need the rest of it..

rik
2008-08-03, 16:02
hello, i tried to install debian through that installer, but it does not work well.

1) fake start-stop-daemon denies to run dbus, that causes failing of installing nit-env-stskeeps because hal need running dbus
2) hal is problematic in many ways, it fails on configure because it denies to install because its in chrooted enviroment, so the rest of depending packages (7 total) couldnt be installed and installer fails
3) so i setup real start-stop-daemon to be actual, dbus was started, then i modified /etc/init.d/hal to skip chroot checking and commented starting command and finally whole installer was completet. But there comes another problem
4) During boot loading module cx3110x failed because it cant load firmware 3826.arm. I tried to copy those files to /lib/firmware (there were symlinks to /mnt/initfs/.. before) even to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ but nothing is helping. Iam not able to boot it, because wlan adapter could not be initialized.

edit:

cx3110x: chip variant STLC4550
cx3110x: ERROR sm_drv_fetch_firmware failed for `3826.arm`: -2
cx3110x: ERROR Could not register SoftMAC SPI Driver.
FATAL: Error inserting cx3110x (/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/cx3110x.ko): No such device

fatalsaint
2008-08-03, 16:32
the only time i had the fake start demon problem was when the installer crashed because it doesn't build n810-xmomap-keyboard deb and it a dependency of both nit-env x environments...

i had to build the n810 myself; the source is in nit-base-package.. oonce that was installed i could apt-get install nit-env-x which pulled most of the debs i needed...to fix the start stop demon u need to do apt-get install dpkg --reinstall ... right now all the services are disabled because of the install...

Stskeeps
2008-08-03, 20:26
rik: it's kinda odd that hal installation needs a running dbus when it's in installation phases, because it's not getting run either, cos of the fake start-stop-daemon. If this was a system that was installed using Debian installer, there would be a fake start-stop-daemon as well to avoid starting processes in the installer environment. I didn't have this problem personally, so it might be an update in sid that acts oddly?

If you have a chance, I'd love to see what error you got through the installer, including what OS2007/2008 and tablet type you're using.

In the "first" non-alpha release we would probably have default release set to lenny so we won't run into the odd issues along the way. Is /mnt/initfs in your fstab btw? That might explain the firmware issues. If you can, make a bug report with the output of "dpkg -l" (chrooting in should do the trick).

Bugs for NIT-Debian installer goes to http://trac.tspre.org/projects/nit-debian if you run into any, or have ingenius ways to do things with NIT-Debian and want them in the NIT-Debian base packages.

Stskeeps
2008-08-03, 20:35
rik: it's kinda odd that hal installation needs a running dbus when it's in installation phases, because it's not getting run either, cos of the fake start-stop-daemon. If this was a system that was installed using Debian installer, there would be a fake start-stop-daemon as well to avoid starting processes in the installer environment. I didn't have this problem personally, so it might be an update in sid that acts oddly? I should set up one of those fancy N8x0 emulators and let it run through installer every night to test for breakage ;)

If you have a chance, I'd love to see what error you got through the installer, including what OS2007/2008 version and tablet type you're using.

In the "first" non-alpha release we would probably have default release set to lenny so we won't run into the odd issues along the way. Is /mnt/initfs in your fstab btw? That might explain the firmware issues. If you can, make a bug report with the output of "dpkg -l" (chrooting in should do the trick).

Bugs for NIT-Debian installer goes to http://trac.tspre.org/projects/nit-debian if you run into any, or have ingenius ways to do things with NIT-Debian and want them in the NIT-Debian base packages.

b-man
2008-08-04, 01:56
In the "first" non-alpha release we would probably have default release set to lenny so we won't run into the odd issues along the way.

I'll be glad to test out lenny:) It shuldn't be too hard, just edit the config.py to say "RELEASE = "lenny"" instead of "RELEASE = "sid".

Also, i've ben getting a similar problem with "evn-nit-x", When it justs starts to finnish the install proses, it says " "chroot" -y --force-yes install evn-nit-x failed" and when i try to run "apt-get -f install" it complains about dbus and says that it is unable to install it because hald, hald-addon-omap-gpio and, nit-env-x are not configurde yet and it fails, i even tryed dpkg --configure -a and that complains about dbus and fails. I tryed to run this about 6 times today using different methods but nothing seems to work.:(

p.s. The reason whi i am re-installing Debian is because the battery died while doing some pritty important stuff and that ended up breaking my Debian install:(.

fatalsaint
2008-08-04, 02:15
seriously people... nobody listens to me....

chroot /debian
cd /nit-base-packages
dpkg-deb --build n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap
cd n810-*
dpkg -i n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap.deb
apt-get install nit-env-x
apt-get install dpkg --reinstall

that may not be exact but it should be pretty close... I dont think its /debian i think its /nit-install or something.. wherever the installer has it temporarily mounted.

fatalsaint
2008-08-04, 02:22
Oh and personally i think gnome is horrific... i cant run more than two apps without it locking up on me or even just clicking the updater when it asks for roots pass... waited 15+ minutes and couldn't do JACK...

OTOH; i have a lot more apps in my chroot icewm now that work nicely....

b-man
2008-08-04, 02:51
Btw, i allrety tryed that and it still says:

Can't start Hardware abstraction layer - enable inotify support in your kernel failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript hal, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing hal (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of hald-addon-omap-gpio:
hald-addon-omap-gpio depends on hal (>= 0.5.11-2); however:
Package hal is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing hald-addon-omap-gpio (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nit-env-x:
nit-env-x depends on hald-addon-omap-gpio; however:
Package hald-addon-omap-gpio is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing nit-env-x (--configure):
Errors were encountered while processing:
hal
hald-addon-omap-gpio
nit-env-x
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Nokia-N800-23-14:/#

b-man
2008-08-04, 02:56
Oh and personally i think gnome is horrific... i cant run more than two apps without it locking up on me or even just clicking the updater when it asks for roots pass... waited 15+ minutes and couldn't do JACK...

OTOH; i have a lot more apps in my chroot icewm now that work nicely....

Really?? :confused: I used gnome and everything seemed to work fine.. hmmmm.... maybe it is because of my setup :confused:?

fatalsaint
2008-08-04, 04:16
dont really know.....even booting debian into icewm locks up on me if i try to do too much too quick...the processor in these things really suck....

as far as your problem....that looks pretty ugly...id suggest starting over from scratch...

fatalsaint
2008-08-04, 14:15
ok.. I noticed my swap wasn't mounting at boot.. that may have contributed to it .. only 128MB memory and no swap... now 128/128... I think I want to expand that to 128/384 .. give me 512mb total... see if that helps with the slow down and a lot of the desktop size apps to run properly.

Anyway... important part to the post:

Again directed by your signature b-man... I got Right Click to work in GTK apps thanks to Qole/Darkman ('http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=207903&postcount=256')

Inside your ~/.xsessionrc file just add the line:
export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so

And also make sure you've installed libgtkstylus via apt.

Also for Stskeeps (I know, I know.. use the tracker); you might think of adding libgtkstylus to the nit-env-x dependency environment to load it out of box.. and adding .xsessionrc with that line in it to /etc/skel before creating the user account (thus making it a global user configuration).. that will enable right click support in all GTK based applications. Still not ALL apps.. but for most it works great.. and for b-man in Gnome; most all gnome apps are GTK based.. since Gnome is GTK.

ETA: b-man; 3ddesktop is highly unlikely as it depends on OpenGL.. and I'm quite certain I've seen around that OpenGL is nigh impossible to get working on this.. but maybe that was just for maemo?? i thought it was due to a hardware restriction.. the true 3d capabilities of our display aren't enabled via drivers because of screen res problems or something...

Stskeeps
2008-08-04, 21:37
For the people with hal problems, latest installer SVN solves it by faking invoke-rc.d.

fatalsaint: I intentionally kept out libgtkstylus of nit-env-x as this doesn't install any GTK stuff as such (for barebone X purposes). Any of you xfce4/GNOME people writing a nit-env for these yet? :)

macer
2008-08-04, 23:35
Any word on how the dev for the sound is going? So far I've had no luck getting it going. If someone could direct me somewhere that explains how to do it I'd greatly appreciate it.

Feel free to PM it to me. Thanks.

fatalsaint
2008-08-04, 23:40
Ive still been working on it. In maemo our audio out is /dev/dsptask/pcm3 but we have no dsptask directory....i ran the alsa utils that build ALL audio devices and tried a handful of them and none worked... tried modprobing pcm-snd and related as well.... nothing i did worked...

we missing a kernel driver??? dunno... blew up my deb today and have to start over.

fatalsaint
2008-08-05, 01:47
non fatal errors new scripts

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/tablet-powersave missing LSB informationupdate-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>
Setting up tablet-user (1.1-1) ...
Username for the tablet default user:user
adduser: The GID 29999 does not exist.
dpkg: error processing tablet-user (--configure):

looks like the gid not setting right.

b-man
2008-08-05, 02:36
For the people with hal problems, latest installer SVN solves it by faking invoke-rc.d.

fatalsaint: I intentionally kept out libgtkstylus of nit-env-x as this doesn't install any GTK stuff as such (for barebone X purposes). Any of you xfce4/GNOME people writing a nit-env for these yet? :)

Yes, but unfortunately, now post bootstraping fails:(:
I: Base system installed successfully.
Teardown pre-existing chroot.. (ignore errors)
ch_i# ['chroot', '/mnt/nit-debian', 'umount', '/proc']
umount: proc: not mounted
umount: proc: not mounted
ch_i# ['chroot', '/mnt/nit-debian', 'umount', '/dev/pts']
umount: /dev/pts: not mounted
ch_i# ['chroot', '/mnt/nit-debian', 'umount', '/sys']
umount: sysfs: not found
umount: /sys: not mounted
umount: sysfs: not found
umount: /sys: not mounted
Setting up chroot..
ch# ['chroot', '/mnt/nit-debian', 'mount', '/proc', '/proc', '-t', 'proc']
ch# ['chroot', '/mnt/nit-debian', 'mount', '-t', 'devpts', 'none', '/dev/pts']
ch# ['chroot', '/mnt/nit-debian', 'mount', 'none', '-t', 'sysfs', '/sys']
*** Installing fake start-stop-daemon, if postbootstrap fails, system is unbootable!
ch# ['chroot', '/mnt/nit-debian', 'mv', '/sbin/start-stop-daemon', '/sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL']
ch# ['chroot', '/mnt/nit-debian', 'chmod', 'a+rx', '/sbin/start-stop-daemon']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/user/MyDocs/trunk/installer/debian_installer.py", line 278, in <module>
sys.exit(newinstaller(sys.argv))
File "/home/user/MyDocs/trunk/installer/debian_installer.py", line 268, in newinstaller
post_bootstrap("/mnt/nit-debian")
File "/home/user/MyDocs/trunk/installer/debian_installer.py", line 146, in post_bootstrap
fake_start_stop_daemon_add(target)
File "/home/user/MyDocs/trunk/installer/debian_installer.py", line 81, in fake_start_stop_daemon_add
if not os.path.exists(target, "/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d.REAL"):
TypeError: exists() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)
Nokia-N800-23-14:/home/user/MyDocs/trunk/installer#

And don't wory, i am reporting this in the bug tracker;).

p.s. Shure, i could try to make a new "nit-evn" that could involve Gnome, I would call it "nit-evn-gnome" for full-blown Gnome with everything and a "nit-evn-gnome-minumum" for just the environment and nothing ealse:rolleyes:, the only problem is that i am not shure how, could you provide some information? I know that it would definitely include "apt-get -f install" gnome for "nit-evn-gnome" and "apt-get -f install gnome-desktop-environment" for "nit-evn-gnome-minumum", also, it would install matchbox-keyboard+ libgtkstylus for both. and also edit gdm for auto-login.

fatalsaint
2008-08-05, 03:20
yeah but apt-get install nit-env-x works now with a dpkg reconfigure... going to see if icewm will load and reboot.

fatalsaint
2008-08-05, 04:45
had to add the user manually and set both the root and user password but its working... posting from a basic icewm with epiphany atm...

b-man
2008-08-05, 17:09
I tryed apt-get install nit-evn-x and dpkg --configure -a and nothing is working :( It is even complaining about terminfo witch is preventing nano from getting launched during the network-setup proses and that causes problems:(.
I believe that the reason whi NOTHING is working is because thay all depend on each other witch means that if even one error occurs with one of those packages, dpkg refuses to configure enny of those packages because, allmost like a loop, the first package depends on the last package witch depends on the middle package witch depends on the first package to be configurd:

Nokia-N800-23-14:/# dpkg --configure -a
Setting up tablet-network-setup (1.1-1) ...
Error opening terminal: xterm.
dpkg: error processing tablet-network-setup (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nit-env-basic:
nit-env-basic depends on tablet-network-setup; however:
Package tablet-network-setup is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing nit-env-basic (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nit-env-x:
nit-env-x depends on nit-env-basic; however:
Package nit-env-basic is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing nit-env-x (--configure):
Errors were encountered while processing:
tablet-network-setup
nit-env-basic
nit-env-x
Nokia-N800-23-14:/#

This is driving me CRAZY!!, no matter what gets changed or what i do, nothing is working. But i am not giving up!:D

fatalsaint
2008-08-05, 17:26
I got the exact same errors you did after the base system install part when breaking down the chroot... but I had NO problems installing apt-get install nit-env-x directly after that. Even hal configured and all that... apt-get install dpkg --reconfigure was done after I was done installing everything else.

Did you totally start over or just start with the new installer?

Also I don't know if you guys did anything to the wireless side of the house STS but last night my wireless stayed up in debian the entire night... first time that has ever happened in a booted debian environment. Don't know if you changed something or if just my install went better.. no idea. My current only issue with debian is the sound... once sound works for audio - then the biggest issue will be Video.. with those 2 operational we'd have a completely re-worked and alternative to Maemo OS for the tablet.. retaining all the capabilities of maemo.

ETA: B-man.. looking at your errors.. try running apt-get install xterm ... looks like that might be what's causing tablet-network-setup to fail.

qole
2008-08-06, 21:15
Is there any way you can have a standard style repository that contains the packages from the SVN? Being able to "apt-get install" a package is my preferred way to get something, rather than checking it out and using dpkg...

Stskeeps
2008-08-06, 21:25
Is there any way you can have a standard style repository that contains the packages from the SVN? Being able to "apt-get install" a package is my preferred way to get something, rather than checking it out and using dpkg...

In a situation where you have a chroot with 'svn export http://trac.tspre.org/svn/deblet/trunk/nit-base-packages' in it in /nit-base-packages,

Something like this python script might work.. (run from maemo!):

import deblet_installer

deblet_installer.setup_chroot("/chroot")
deblet_installer.build_apt_repos_install("/chroot")

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/deblet.list should then contain a reference to /nit-repository that you can use to apt-get the Deblet debs.

qole
2008-08-06, 21:48
Yeah I was kinda thinking that you would have some kind of server-side script that checked the packages out into a public repository... Maybe I should set something up over at qole.maemobox.org...

Stskeeps
2008-08-06, 21:52
Yeah I was kinda thinking that you would have some kind of server-side script that checked the packages out into a public repository... Maybe I should set something up over at qole.maemobox.org...

Ah, I'd personally avoid that since it also builds OS2008-based packages and packages that are tied to the tablet's MAC etc (setting wlan0 MAC address when booting) and stuff like that. It's meant as a local, on-tablet APT repository to avoid the legal problems :)

Or do you mean a .tar.gz snapshot of SVN nit-base-packages?

qole
2008-08-06, 21:59
Honestly, I just want an easy-to-get version of your deblet adobe flash player hack, that users can install without hassle. Building an on-tablet repository is a hassle.

Stskeeps
2008-08-06, 22:15
Honestly, I just want an easy-to-get version of your deblet adobe flash player hack, that users can install without hassle. Building an on-tablet repository is a hassle.

Well then - it is a bit of a hack and i'm not sure you can transfer the "easy" setup I have without building a local repository (this may be configured in config.py btw to make a smaller one).

- have some way to get the adobe-flashplayer package from Diablo (like we do in nit-fillin), or as just copying over files to the chroot
- have /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libdebianflashplayer.so installed (is in debian-flashplayer package)
- perform steps in http://trac.tspre.org/projects/deblet/browser/trunk/nit-base-packages/debian-flashplayer/DEBIAN/postinst
- provide libplayback-1-0, and osso-esd as well (osso-esd can prolly just be a empty package).

If we were to start making the chroot part of Deblet a little more integrated, building a local repository is part of install, and there would be possibily to add packages easily through Synaptic etc. And a menu item saying "Upgrade Deblet packages" which rebuilds the local repository and allows people to get new Deblet changes in from SVN. That'd be the easy solution, really. :P

qole
2008-08-06, 23:06
provide libplayback-1-0, and osso-esd as well (osso-esd can prolly just be a empty package).

What is this osso-esd package? I didn't have to install it; you say it can be empty, so I'm guessing it's just a placeholder...

I think I'll build a little .deb that, when installed in Maemo, will mount the chroot, copy and drop the files, and create the symlinks. I was just hoping there'd be some way to do this "cleanly" (without using your installer or subversion) from your SVN version.

If we were to start making the chroot part of Deblet a little more integrated, building a local repository is part of install, and there would be possibily to add packages easily through Synaptic etc. And a menu item saying "Upgrade Deblet packages" which rebuilds the local repository and allows people to get new Deblet changes in from SVN. That'd be the easy solution, really. :P

How big is this local repository when fully populated?

fatalsaint
2008-08-06, 23:49
Nokia-N810-23-14:/home/user# du -khs /nit-repository/
4.7M /nit-repository/
Nokia-N810-23-14:/home/user#

also got flash working in bootable debian with those packages...thanks sts....now i really need sound lol.

meizirkki
2008-08-08, 15:59
I cant partition, or use already partitioned minisd card on my n810's exenternal slot.
Everything works fine with internal mmc, but when i try exenternal, cfdisk just says FATAL ERROR, CANT READ DISK DRIVE or something. If i use gparted with my computer and create like 40mb FAT, 3.8gb ext2 and small swap, it still says fatal error. When i try to skip the partitioing step like going to parted and type quit, i can skip partitioing but then i cant choose the partition where to install deblet.
What am I doing wrong?

Sorry for my bad english...

b-man
2008-08-09, 01:10
Have you tryed sfdisk? That's what i use instead of cfdisk.
Assuming you only want two partitions to use, try this in x-term:

First, run "apt-get -f install e2fsprogs" However if you are using Diablo, you may not need this step.

Next, run "sfdisk -uM /dev/mmcblk1p2", this will allow you to partition in mb units.

now put ",40,6" This marks the first partition as 40 mb with a fat 16 format

next put ",,L" This allows the rest of the memoy card to use linux83 for your os.

the last two would just be ",," witch marks them as empty and if the reloading of the partition tables fails, just reboot and skip the partitioning alltogether and simply mount/format your partition.

qole
2008-09-09, 21:18
I'm not sure where to post this. When I try to use the debian-flashplayer hack (http://trac.tspre.org/svn/deblet/trunk/nit-base-packages/debian-flashplayer/) in Iceweasel, on the ever-popular homestarrunner.com website, I get this error (when clicking on the intro button):

/usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so: undefined symbol: hildon_gtk_im_context_hide

The browser then snaps closed.

Stskeeps
2008-09-09, 21:23
I'm not sure where to post this. When I try to use the debian-flashplayer hack (http://trac.tspre.org/svn/deblet/trunk/nit-base-packages/debian-flashplayer/) in Iceweasel, on the ever-popular homestarrunner.com website, I get this error (when clicking on the intro button):

/usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so: undefined symbol: hildon_gtk_im_context_hide

The browser then snaps closed.

Ack. Why is it getting it from browser/? it should be loading libdebianflashplayer.so (which has symbols and depends on libflashplayer.so), hence the error. I honestly didn't test on iceweasel, just other gecko ones.

fatalsaint
2008-09-09, 21:27
I've used the libdebianflashplayer.so with iceweasel.. I made two links inside (manually)

/usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/ and /usr/lib/iceweasel/xulrunner/plugins/

I created that first plugins directory. Works fine for me??

qole
2008-09-09, 21:29
Stskeeps: My problem. I'm trying to install your stuff without using your .debs because I don't have svn and I don't have your installer.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Can you check what I'm doing and see where I'm going wrong?

#Get the chroot
CHROOT="/debian"

#Copy the flash plugin stuff
mkdir "$CHROOT/usr/lib/browser/"
mkdir "$CHROOT/usr/lib/browser/plugins"

cp libdebianflashplayer.so "$CHROOT/usr/lib/browser/plugins"

cp /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so "$CHROOT/usr/lib/browser/plugins/"
ln -s "$CHROOT/usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so" "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libflashplayer.so.0"
ln -s "$CHROOT/usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so" "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libflashplayer.so"

#Copy the libplayback file
cp /usr/lib/libplayback-1.so.0.0.4 "$CHROOT/usr/lib/"
ln -s "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libplayback-1.so.0.0.4" "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libplayback-1.so.0"

#Copy the libosso file
cp /usr/lib/libosso.so.1.3.0 "$CHROOT/usr/lib/"
ln -s "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libosso.so.1.3.0" "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libosso.so.1"

fatalsaint
2008-09-09, 21:38
ln -s "$CHROOT/usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so" "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libflashplayer.so.0"
ln -s "$CHROOT/usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so" "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libflashplayer.so"

ln -s "libflashplayer.so" "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libflashplayer.so.0"

Would seem easier.. and those LN commands work?? it seems to me the link will be created to point to /debian/usr/lib... which inside the debian chroot would not exist... I think these might work better???

ln -s "libflashplayer.so" "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libflashplayer.so.0"
ln -s "/usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so" "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libflashplayer.so"
ln -s "/usr/lib/libosso.so.1.3.0" "$CHROOT/usr/lib/libosso.so.1"

Remember ln -s doesn't need a full path to an actual file when you do it.. it's not like cp.. inside the chroot the above will be /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so .. which is correct.. creating a ln to $CHROOT/usr/lib.. inside the chroot will be /debian/usr/lib... which doesn't seem right..

But I'm probably overlooking something..

ETA: That was confusing.. I need to rephrase.. my understanding is the first parameter you pass to ln -s is the path you want the link to show.. not the path to the file as relative to you.. IE:

ln -s ../../lib/libdude.so /usr/lib/libdude.so.1

would actually try linking to a file on /lib/libdude.so.. regardless of where you were at when you created the link.. the ../ would be relative to where the link file itself (/usr/lib/libdude.so.1) sits.. so linking to $CHROOT/ as relative to the link itself would link to /debian/ which would be a broken path inside the debian root.

Stskeeps
2008-09-09, 21:49
cp libdebianflashplayer.so "$CHROOT/usr/lib/browser/plugins"

cp /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libflashplayer.so "$CHROOT/usr/lib/browser/plugins/"

Skip this line and put it in /usr/lib/libflashplayer.so instead, leaving it out of plugins. libdebianflashplayer.so refers to this one - libflashplayer.so should be kept out of plugins at all cost (i thought browser/plugins was a maemo thing.)

[/QUOTE]

qole
2008-09-09, 22:42
Ok, so it works. I think it was mainly the mistake that fatalsaint caught; sure enough, the softlinks that I had made were pointing to non-existent files. However, I also simply copied the libflashplayer.so to the /usr/lib folder (instead of to /usr/lib/browser/plugins).

I think Iceweasel knew about /usr/lib/browser/plugins because it shares the /home/user/.mozilla folder with MicroB.

And ... what does libdude do? Is it anything like libsexy? :)

fatalsaint
2008-09-09, 22:56
And ... what does libdude do? Is it anything like libsexy? :)

libdude statically linked libsexy in fact ... but after the developers created libwife (the ultimate goal for libsexy) they realized libdude wasn't going to be able to link back to libsexy anymore.. so they had to remove several libsexy function calls and created instead libdrunk... libdrunk was successfully able to use some of what libsexy provided, and most of what libwife provided.. but of course will never be as efficient as the original libdude.

:D

b-man
2008-09-09, 23:34
libdude statically linked libsexy in fact ... but after the developers created libwife (the ultimate goal for libsexy) they realized libdude wasn't going to be able to link back to libsexy anymore.. so they had to remove several libsexy function calls and created instead libdrunk... libdrunk was successfully able to use some of what libsexy provided, and most of what libwife provided.. but of course will never be as efficient as the original libdude.

:D

Hmmmm..... libsexy, libdude, libdrunk and, libwifwe.........

What will thay think of next!, maybe libkids, libkool, libhiper, libextreme, libwerdow, libdumy, libsmart........ :rolleyes:

Btw, sorry i haven't been here for some time... My daily scedual is working against me :(

But hopfuly soon i will be able to be around much more again.