PDA

View Full Version : [Android] [teaser] Touchscreen [working] on N800!

qwerty12
2008-07-02, 17:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3s5MnhNVBI

As you know, I work on the kernel side of things. I was able to get the touchscreen patch ported from the N810 touchscreen driver to the N800's one.

Sorry for the lowres, jerky video.

I've got a question though, is double taps hard to use on N810? I have to tap really hard for a double tap. single tap & dragging works like a dream though.

If there is a problem, I'd like to fix it before releasing the kernel image :)

lcuk
2008-07-02, 17:36
qwerty,
any chance its because of the code running speed.
I've heard android runs like a dog and so isn't identifying double clicks in time?

qwerty12
2008-07-02, 17:51
good point, i don't know if there actually any double taps. after pressing power (yes, i'm ? too), single taps worked to launch apps.

matthewcb4
2008-07-02, 19:05
Im just curious if you know that once this is installed that mplayer (and full screen in Canola because of mplayer) are not functioning properly? Just thought that I would throw that out there.

cthulhupunk0
2008-07-02, 19:08
Absolutely excellent work, man. I'm using an n800 running Chinook, Debian beta 3, and now Android. You and penguinbait have done some amazing stuff.

Can't wait for the released touchscreen fix. :)

cthulhupunk0
2008-07-02, 19:19
Just checked, and mplayer isn't working; it looks like it's not going into a correct video mode or something, like the second or two after it's taken out of full screen normally.

Sound works fine, though.

jzencovich
2008-07-02, 21:02
Curiosity speaking: How long till you release the n800 TS kernel image?

I am by no means trying to rush you! I'm very grateful for the work that you're doing, and I would prefer that you do a good job over a rushed one. But a little timeframe wouldn't hurt for those that are stuck using the dpad to move around :p

--Jon

qwerty12
2008-07-03, 05:32
Curiosity speaking: How long till you release the n800 TS kernel image?

I am by no means trying to rush you! I'm very grateful for the work that you're doing, and I would prefer that you do a good job over a rushed one. But a little timeframe wouldn't hurt for those that are stuck using the dpad to move around :p

--Jon

I plan on releasing it soon, just got to add rotation and fix the N810 touchscreen again. I also need to fix the mplayer.

:), I feel your pain, I had to use the d-pad. Infact, I didn't realise that the touchscreen patch on the site was for N810 so I was tapping and was upset when it worked on penguinbait's N810 :)

But I got me a tissue and a text editor :P

Im just curious if you know that once this is installed that mplayer (and full screen in Canola because of mplayer) are not functioning properly? Just thought that I would throw that out there.

Just checked, and mplayer isn't working; it looks like it's not going into a correct video mode or something, like the second or two after it's taken out of full screen normally.

Sound works fine, though.

Yes, I am aware of the problems :). It basically happens because the framebuffer is set to be automatic in this kernel which basically means programs can write to there and have their screen drawn straight away (don't quote me on that) and android needs it because it uses framebuffer rather than x-server to show stuff on the screen.

mplayer uses framebuffer in some way and having it set to automatic throws it off, I plan on fixing that in the next kernel :)

(For now, you can use fanoush's fb_update_mode and set it to manual, only if you aren't using android, in that case use fb_update_mode to set it to manual)

mfortner
2008-07-03, 11:50
Even after removing it MPlayer is mussed. Reflashing and rebuilding now. Great work though.

Bundyo
2008-07-03, 18:54
fb_update_mode works like a charm - with set to manual at boot and to auto in the init script i have a working mplayer, liqbase and android... Not simultaneously, but without kernel reflash. :) Mplayer is slow of course :)

kahi
2008-07-03, 22:42
Hi qwerty12, how do you use fanoush's fb_update_mode and set it to manual, I'm testing my N800 using Android, but I would like to have the mplayer working whitout reflashing.

Regards
Kahi

Bundyo
2008-07-04, 07:25
search this forum for fb_update_mode, get the file and extract fb_update_mode to /usr/bin

Use it like that:

fb_update_mode manual
fb_update_mode auto

kahi
2008-07-04, 14:55
Thanks, I'll try it.
:)

jbb
2008-07-08, 13:35
just curious but I was wondering if you were releasing it in this topic?

josiahg777
2008-07-08, 17:15
He released it in another thread. Look in the Android Forum, it's called "Kernel V2"