PDA

View Full Version : [Palm OS] Help! No Icon shows up after app install in Garnet VM

dfinch
2008-07-03, 04:44
I have just flashed Diablo and installed latest Garnet VM.
I have allocated max memory and all the default apps work fine.

However, I have tried to install a couple of free apps (Pente and Filez that worked on my Palm TX) using the Install button on the right of the initial Garner screen. I browsed to my shared drive on my PC, found the .prc file and selected it. Installation went without an error message and in fact said install was sucessful.

But no Icon shows up. I tried to clean the icon but all I get is the six basic apps. What am I doing wrong?

In addition, has anyone seen a discussion (or know how) to install apps that require a specific key and a specific user (device) name to work?

dfinch
2008-07-03, 14:14
One more detail to the previous post, prior to updating to Diablo, I had installed Garnet VM and synched to my PC but this failed with some insufficient memory error. I also could not install any .prc individually. Perhaps my backup before flasing the OS saved some corrupt Palm data and then I restored it?

So could my problem have been inherited from my previous install I wonder?

cheve
2008-07-03, 20:08
Have you tried a reboot of the N8xx? I ran into that awhile back(prior to the latest diablo OS); but a reboot helped me get to my icon back in the VM.

good luck

dfinch
2008-07-03, 21:54
Even after a reboot I see nothing new.

Are people just installing apps from the right hand install button without any problems?

Or has noone been able to do it and we're all in the same boat with no solution?

Even if you have no solution, would a few people just let me know if you are succeeding or failing with this method of installation. Thanks very much.

Pushwall
2008-07-03, 23:42
Yes all the apps in my Garnet VM I've installed using the install button and their icons show correctly. I first always copy the programs over from my PC to one of my external card directories on the Nokia, and then install them from there into Garnet VM using the install button. Sometimes I'll get an error message right after the install. If this happens I then always exit out of Garnet VM and come back in and things are fine.

cheve
2008-07-03, 23:48
i can report that I have no problem installing a number of apps (.prc) using the install button(with OS = Diablo). My apps are FileZ, DOF, converter, and a Fuel appl.

wsiebert
2008-07-04, 00:18
One possibility: Open one of the six native apps (I reccomend Datebook) then click on the menu icon (the house in the lower left hand corner) Your palm apps may appear in the PALM menu; they will work normally.

dfinch
2008-07-04, 03:41
Thanks to all who replied. With the tip of installing from memory card rather than over wifi network I have now installed four apps without a hitch. Especially thank you to pushwall for this tip that made all the difference.

Now I just have to work out how to set my device name and I'll be able to install my paid-for apps. I'm going to start searching the forums for how to do this but if anyone knows, do share. Thanks again.

Pushwall
2008-07-04, 04:14
Now I just have to work out how to set my device name and I'll be able to install my paid-for apps. I'm going to start searching the forums for how to do this but if anyone knows, do share. Thanks again.
The way I did this was to make sure I had an empty Backup folder in Windows (under c:\Program Files\Palm\MyUserID\Backup) and also have under Hotsync Custom menu everything except System set to "Do Nothing".....System was set to "Handheld overwrites Desktop". I then did a hotsync that then did nothing but transfer my Palm's UserID to GarnetVM.

dfinch
2008-07-04, 04:24
Excellent!!! It's getting a bit late right now but I'll try this tomorrow (er... today). Went to local AF base tonight and saw some great fireworks!

Just seeing all those Palm apps on my N810 puts a smile on my face. Cheers.

dfinch
2008-07-04, 13:03
Pushwall, it looks like my Palm desktop app is slightly different to yours. Mine came with my Palm TX and is version 4.2

The differences are as follows:
1. There is one line entitled rtime.dll that says 'Desktop overwrites handheld' and this cannot be changed.
2. There is no 'system' line in the list.

Apart from the app list there are the following entries:
Install
Install Service templates
Install to card
Backup

I've set everything to 'do nothing' except the rtime.dll. Perhaps 'system' is no longer changeable - maybe it will always 'H overwrite D'.

BTW, I have not hotsynced with this fresh install of Garnet under Diablo. Will the wifi link work the first time? (Palms require the first hotsync to be with the USB cable).

Thanks for your input. Happy 4th July !!!

Pushwall
2008-07-04, 18:40
Derek, the wifi hotsync has always worked for me the first I've tried it after a fresh Garnet install. It appears if you do hotsync with your current setup that it will wipe all the apps you manually installed in Garnet (that is, if your PC directory c:\Program Files\Palm\MyUserID\Backup is empty,...if it isn't then the hotsync will try to install anything in that directory). If you don't mind that, then try the hotsync making sure you have the correct ip address of your PC. Other things you might want to try:

* Use the Palm install tool to select the apps you've already manually installed in Garnet on your Nokia tablet. Try the hotsync with your current settings with everything set to 'do nothing' except Install which you set to 'enabled', This way if you do the hotsync at least your manually installed apps will still be there.

* Set a system restore point on your PC. Uninstall your Palm desktop and then do a fresh install. Some have reported on these forums that the only way they could do a good hotsync was with a fresh install of the Palm desktop. See if then you can change it so that 'Handheld overwrites Desktop'. If this doesn't work, you can always restore your PC back to the way it was.

Good luck and hope you have a happy July 4th too! :)

dfinch
2008-07-05, 03:33
Well I took approach No. 1 and it worked - without even removing my previously installed apps! Every element of the program I needed now works without problem. Thanks so much for your help.

It was suggested that I could invoke one GVM application with a commend line that could then be built into a shell script. I'd like to try this.

About 10 years ago, I administered a unix hybrid system (Domain_OS originally by Apollo Computer) and wrote meny scripts but that feels like a milenium ago now.

I'll start searching the forums for how to do this but if you (or anyone) have any pointers, I'd be glad to hear.

Right now I presume I can write the script (basically a single command line) in Windows Notepad, save it with a .sh append, transfer to the correct folder on the N810 (where?) and invoke it from the osso-statusbar-cpu application.

Am I on the right track?
Any special settings etc that the script will need prior to the command line?

Right off to hunt...

:) Thanks!

Pushwall
2008-07-05, 16:43
Glad you got it to work! I tried once to have a GVM app to launch from Personal Menu but couldn't get it to work. I didn't have the time to research it and fiddle with it, but there were a couple threads here detailing the proper syntax. Good luck! :)