PDA

View Full Version : [Android] Android, GPS, and word processing

zhbrass
2008-07-06, 17:00
Hello all.

I got my n810 a couple of months back and I LOVE it. I got an 8 GB microSD card with a miniSD adapter that's got KDE installed. KDE has been a huge disappointment to me, as it is slow and very hard to use on the n810 (though I give Penguinbait et al MAJOR props for figuring this out!) I am still using Chinook because of the issues with the repositories in Diablo.

Anyway, on to the substance of my question:

Question 1.
I am not too familiar with Android, but I know (read: think) it has GPS. Does the GPS work with the n810's built-in GPS and does it use vector-based maps or bmp maps? That is, can Android finally put an end to our Wayfinder/Maemo Mapper woes by having a mapping application that doesnt require an internet connection?

Question 2.
Does Android have a decent word processing application? I can live with the Maemo Notes application, but I'd prefer something better, especially something that uses .doc or at least .txt or .rtf format.

Question 3.
If I want to install Android on my n810, do I HAVE to upgrade to Diablo? The last time I upgraded my OS, it was a major hassle with all the re-downloading of apps, but if Android is worth it, I will.

Sorry for the excessive length, and keep up the amazing forums!

-Z

Thesandlord
2008-07-06, 18:28
Well, I dont know much about Android. The port to the tablets is still incomplete, and its not qwerty12, b-man, and Penguinbait's fault. There is a reason why Android is not on any phone yet, and that is because Google is not done making it!

Question 1: Check out roadmap. In my opinion, it is the best mapping software for the internet tablets if you don't have internet. It uses vector maps so its really fast and small. I have all of California in under 200mb, while maemo mapper would not be able to fit it in. Has GPS support, and routing (need internet for directions). Check it out...

Question 2: What you need is Debian, just search the forms... It has OpenOffice, AbiWord, etc.

Alternatively, check out AbiWord for Maemo

Question 3: Diablo is great, lots more stable and a little faster. Plus there is AGPS!! And how is it a major hassle for the Apps? I think the repository problem in Diablo is fixed/ it is easy to fix (I had no problems). The only problem is hunting down .deb files that you manually downloaded. But, here is a tip... Just save the debs on your memory card, so you dont have to hunt for them a second time (if you need to reflash again because of a messip or something!)

Hope this helped...