View Full Version : N810 + USB Modem CDMA/HSDPA? Is it possible?

Bard
2008-07-07, 08:45
Hi all!

I'm newbie at Linux OS, especially this Maemo OS.

Before I buy N810, I already tried to learn how to make N810 connected with USB Modem. I have Huawei E220 HSDPA modem.

Using Google, I only can find this one that quite promising:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/users/34462?page=last

But up till now still I don't have any solid prove or solid comment about is it really works on not.

Please some experts here can give some guidance or comment to me if N810 can or can't connect with USB modem. I really hope my N810 can be connected with USB Modem (mine Huawei E220). USB Battery cost quite cheap, far cheaper compared if I buy HSDPA phone can connect with N810, more over Bluetooth connect quite slow and lots of disturbance. Hotspot very hard to find here. So WiFi quite useless for me unless I go to cafe to find good hotspot.

Many Thanks!

TA-t3
2008-07-07, 11:28
The E220 sucks a lot of power, at least 500 mA. (That's why it comes with a double USB cable.. :)) There's no way that the N810 can support that, so you would have to use a powered hub. For outdoor activity that would be inconvenient.

I have an E220, but the way I use it (or used it, as it were) with the N8x0 is to connect it to a wi-fi router with USB support and connect the N8x0 to the wi-fi. Eventually I more or less stopped using that combo, because it turned out both EDGE and UMTS works so badly, at least where I live (and I'm located on top of an UMTS cell tower antenna - literally). (HSDPA is patchy here). Just too much packet losses (e.g. 'ping' somewhere, watch 5-25% packet loss. That's 2 orders of magnitude more than what TCP/IP can handle without drastic negative impact on e.g. AJAX as used by Google, due to delays).

I find it easier to just use the SIM (with its good data plan) from the E220 in my 3G phone (BT to the N800) when I want to use UMTS where there's no wi-fi.

Bard
2008-07-07, 15:02
So where no wifi around... the best solution only using phone as modem :(

Seems I need to make more investment for my N810.

HumanPenguin
2008-07-07, 16:34
So where no wifi around... the best solution only using phone as modem :(

Seems I need to make more investment for my N810.

Yep pretty much. If you are using CDMA/HSDPA you have to pay for the service with someone. Generally you are better of spending on a 3G phone and tethering rather then having to support 2 sims one for the phone one for your choice of USB device.

The only exception to this is if you are replacing a home internet connection. Then linking to a WIFI router is the best option.

I am considering that option. I am P$#*ed with cable ATM

qole
2008-10-15, 21:24
The one and only HSPA provider here in Canada is offering an expensive data access package that includes the Novatel Ovation MC950D (http://www.novatelwireless.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74:ovation-mc950d-72-usb-modem-hsdpahsupa-networks&catid=3&Itemid=10) USB Modem. It doesn't seem to require the same massive amounts of power, and this thread (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15171) and this thread (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14399) suggest that it might be possible to get drivers for it and get it up and running... Any comments?

EDIT: from the website:

Supports Microsoft Vista, Windows® 2000, XP, Mac OS® X; Linux

EDIT2: Looks like it needs lots of power; comes with a Y-cable, so external battery pack needed.

All I can say is that the N900 is looking more and more amazing all of the time; these things seem to need lots of power, but the new tablet will need a long battery life...

Reda
2008-10-15, 21:41
Since we are on the subject of current, does anyone know if the N810 has anything to prevent damage to its port in case of too much power drain?
Thanks in advance

Benson
2008-10-15, 21:59
Yes. It's been reported that it shuts down the power to the USB port in case of a dangerous overcurrent, and seems to require a reboot to clear and reenable.