PDA

View Full Version : [Debian] Debian Apps That Run Well On The Tablets

Pages : [1] 2

qole
2008-07-09, 00:19
In this thread, I would like people to post the names of Debian apps that they have found that run well on the tablets, or at least they are the best / fastest alternative you've found to provide a service you find valuable.

An example of the second kind of application (best alternative) would be the Kazehakase browser. It isn't as fast as MicroB, our built-in browser, but it can run Java applets and it seems somewhat faster than Iceweasel.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2651451452_f67c2ffedd_o.png (http://www.flickr.com/photos/qole2/2651451452/)

If you have posted programs elsewhere in the other Debian threads, it would probably be a good idea to re-post them here.

darrennewman@sky.com
2008-07-09, 00:42
I installed aMule which works well. I had to change the permissions of the folder it installed in to get it working, but working well now.

dan67sf
2008-07-09, 02:57
gnubg, jester an othello clone and gnomesword all have worked well for me so far. Although I just started adding apps and plan on quite a few more.

Ropesend
2008-07-09, 04:11
mathematica 4

debernardis
2008-07-09, 04:51
pdftk - to merge, split, encrypt, decrypt, watermark pdf files.
mp3info-gtgk - an mp3 taggerf with gui.

Maxoueb
2008-07-09, 09:31
In this thread, I would like people to post the names of Debian apps that they have found that run well on the tablets, or at least they are the best / fastest alternative you've found to provide a service you find valuable.

An example of the second kind of application (best alternative) would be the Kazehakase browser. It isn't as fast as MicroB, our built-in browser, but it can run Java applets and it seems somewhat faster than Iceweasel.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2651451452_f67c2ffedd_o.png (http://www.flickr.com/photos/qole2/2651451452/)

If you have posted programs elsewhere in the other Debian threads, it would probably be a good idea to re-post them here.
How did you install Kazehakase? Using Synaptic I receive an error that some packages can't be downloaded.

Thanks!

bunanson
2008-07-09, 11:02
How did you install Kazehakase? Using Synaptic I receive an error that some packages can't be downloaded.

Thanks!

Debian>Programs>Applications>Terminal Emulators>X-Terminal as root (you need your password to get root access, the same password as you are using Hildon)>apt-get update, be patient, it takes 2-3 min.

Debian>Programs>Applications>Systems>Package Management>Synaptic Package Manager>(you need password again) choose Kazehakase and answer yes when asked about Marked all (that would choose Kazehakase and kazehakase greco), wait till successful change made.

Qole may have a different trick. That is how I did it.

bun

bongo
2008-07-09, 11:05
vim with gtk interface works.

qole
2008-07-09, 16:05

Yes, I had the same problem. I had to do "apt-get update" first ("Edit" -> "Reload Package Information" packages in Synaptic), and then, 17 minutes later, when it had finished updating, I tried again and it worked.

Benson
2008-07-09, 16:41
gnome-alsamixer

qole
2008-07-09, 18:28
gnome-alsamixer

What do you do to get it to work? I get:

ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL hw:0

and then the mixer comes up blank. Choosing "Edit -> Sound Card Properties" crashes the program.

I suspect my ALSA config files aren't set up right. I have copied /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf from my maemo dir to my Debian dir...

Benson
2008-07-09, 18:39
Umm... don't remember. Soon as I get Debian back on, I'll let you know. Don't think it was anything tricky.

You try with -c $WHATEVER yet? There are 2 alsa interfaces, IIRC. One is boring. The other is interesting, and lets you play out the speakers, headphone jack, and BT (HSP) all at once. The sync between HSP and speakers/phones is a little annoying, but it's kinda cool. Especially if you have the car stereo drowning out the headset (when you're in the car), but when you leave the car, you still hear it with the headset. (Obviously, the correct way to accomplish this balance is to turn the headset down, not the stereo up; hearing loss isn't fun and all that.)

qole
2008-07-09, 19:12
You try with -c $WHATEVER yet? There are 2 alsa interfaces, IIRC. One is boring. The other is interesting..

Um, can you be more specific? Call me an idiot (It's OK, many do) but I don't understand "-c $WHATEVER".

Is there a way to tell the mixer to use a different interface? Is that what -c does? Can I get a list of those somehow? And shouldn't the alsamixer be able to locate all of the interfaces and let you choose, rather than producing a cryptic error and crashing when you try to set up the sound card?

EDIT: Aha! alsa-base and alsa-utils not installed... seeing if that fixes things... (why doesn't the mixer depend on them?! :confused:)

EDIT2: Nope... still futzing...

EDIT3: Ok, this is bigger than alsamixer. I used to be able to get stuff to play with "aplay test.wav" and now even that gives an error. So alsa is borked in my "easy chroot" setup; better get this figured out!

EDIT4: needed to also "apt-get install libasound2-plugins" to get alsamixer working. I can also make "aplay" work now.

The gnome one however still gives the same error... "Sound card properties" causes a segfault...

Benson
2008-07-09, 20:18
Umm... that actually wouldn't apply to gnome-alsamixer; that would be alsamixer itself. Man page here (http://linux.die.net/man/1/alsamixer); -c indeed tells it which card to use, but that's handled some other way in gnome-alsamixer.

(Indeed, it should find a usable one, but thought it might be worth trying, in case the problem was specific to that one...)

Also, there are devices and cards; not sure which one it was... I'll try again when I get that back on.

qole
2008-07-09, 20:35
Soon as I get Debian back on, I'll let you know.

I should go through the forums and compile a list of messages from you where you say some variant of, "I've completely borked something important on my tablet, so I can't test that right now..." I think it would number in the dozens... :D

Benson, why does your tablet never seem to be working? What do you DO to that poor girl?

Benson
2008-07-09, 21:18
:D

Really, it's mostly attributable to a flaky (and now retired) SD card; I'd guess only about 40% have been due to direct stupid or risky actions on my part.

But, really, some of the stuff I do is asking to have trouble; I should get more devices if I'm going to do that, but I'm too cheap. Just bought my third N800, but both #2 and #3 are gifts to siblings. (Sister, who's reasonably competent with, but not very interested in, computer stuff; it'll live a long and peaceful life. Kid brother, who's just as overambitious as me. With any luck, though, we won't be down at the same time...)

And being too busy to fix the thing for the better part of a month is a major problem as well. And the worst part of it is, when I'm reinstalling, I'm not hacking. :(

Current fixing is in progress, though (Already got Chinook and Diablo (final) on...), and I hope my more rigorous backup scheme and maybe an extra SD will make things go smoother in the future.

qole
2008-07-10, 16:40
I would love to know some Java applets that people really wish they could run on the tablets, I'd like to see how they run in Kazehakase.

EDIT: Here's a stock news ticker, it scrolls fine, the only problem is that the whole system gets a bit sluggish when this is running...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/2655488423_5ee02ff1cf_o.png (http://www.flickr.com/photos/qole2/2655488423/)

BoxOfSnoo
2008-07-10, 22:13
Windowmaker runs really well and looks great.

jpilot seems to work, though I haven't loaded it with data yet...

Maxoueb
2008-07-11, 02:25
I got gedit installed, it's a little bit slow to launch, but once it's there, it's working quite well. And with a few tweaks (http://grigio.org/pimp_my_gedit_was_textmate_linux), it can become the best development tool on the IT! Fullscreen plugin available here (http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=fullscreen-2006-07-13.tar.bz2).

qole
2008-07-11, 04:01
I use gedit too, I love the syntax highlighting...

I'm quite frustrated about one thing; I'm sure there's a full regexp search-and-replace available for gedit, but I can't find it anywhere...

EDIT: Perhaps this (http://vaem.googlecode.com/files/gedit2_regex_replace_plugin.tar.gz)?

EDIT2: yes, untar (tar xzvf gedit2_regex_replace_plugin.tar.gz) into /usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins/

tolou
2008-07-11, 08:30
gimageviewer and ROX Filer ofcourse (now with a debian toolbar button), both through the Synaptic pkg mgr in diablo. I've also managed to just cp parts from the good old WmBar in penguinbait's ROX pkg, e.g. see my avatar.:)
Changed time format to 24h in the taskbar, and a network monitor besides the CPU. Also set my personal background. Tip: the help file in the start menu is really at help here.
~/.icewm $ more toolbar
# This is a default toolbar definition file for IceWM
#
# Place your personal variant in $HOME/.icewm directory.

#prog FTE fte fte
#prog Netscape netscape netscape
#prog "Vim" vim /usr/bin/gvim -f
prog "keyboard" /usr/share/icons/gnome/24x24/devices/input-keyboard.png xvkbd
prog XTerm xterm x-terminal-emulator
#prog "AbiWord" /usr/share/pixmaps/abiword.png abiword
prog "ROX Filer" /usr/share/rox/images/rox-show-hidden.png /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/rox"
prog "WWW" /usr/share/pixmaps/iceweasel.png iceweasel

sh-3.2$ diff preferences /usr/share/icewm/preferences
266c266
< TaskBarShowNetStatus=1 # 0/1
---
> # TaskBarShowNetStatus=1 # 0/1
503c503
< NetStatusCommand="x-terminal-emulator -name netstat -title 'Network Status' -e netstat -c"
---
> # NetStatusCommand="x-terminal-emulator -name netstat -title 'Network Status' -e netstat -c"
512c512
< NetworkStatusDevice="wlan0 ppp0 eth0"
---
> # NetworkStatusDevice="ppp0 eth0"
515c515
< TimeFormat="%R"
---
> # TimeFormat="%X"
1238c1238
< DesktopBackgroundImage="/home/user/MyDocs/.images/qgn_indi_startup_nokia_logo.png"

Maxoueb
2008-07-11, 15:46
Installed Dillo (http://www.dillo.org/), NetSurf (http://www.netsurf-browser.org) and Midori (http://software.twotoasts.de/index.php?/pages/midori_summary.html) (apt-get install).. all of them are working very well on the tablet.

NetSurf might be the best choice for the N8x0: it's light, fast, can be run fullscreen and support CSS (Dillo doesn't).

To install: apt-get install netsurf

Note: you might need "libwebkitgtk0", which can be found right there: http://ftp.pwr.wroc.pl/debian/pool/main/w/webkit/

wget http://ftp.pwr.wroc.pl/debian/pool/main/w/webkit/libwebkitgtk0d_0~svn27674-4_armel.deb

dpkg -i libwebkitgtk0d_0~svn27674-4_armel.deb

doctorbri
2008-07-11, 17:11
Gnomesword is working great. Not full-screen, unfortunately. Mirrors found here (http://packages.debian.org/lenny/armel/gnomesword/download).

Makurosu
2008-07-11, 20:06
Frozen-bubble works quite well. After following the earlier discussion for setting up gnome-alsamixer, the sound works on frozen-bubble now too. :) Thanks guys.

Frozen-bubble is a little bit ponderous on the N800, but then I can always use a little time to contemplate my place in the Universe. Setting the graphics to medium quality helps a lot. It plays very well though and almost no stutter with the sound.

Supertuxkart, on the other hand, seems to work but slows to a near halt.

qole
2008-07-11, 21:12
After following the earlier discussion for setting up gnome-alsamixer, the sound works on frozen-bubble now too. :)

Hey, do you mean my instructions to get regular alsamixer working, or did you manage to get gnome-alsamixer working (because I still can't)?

qole
2008-07-11, 21:22
Not full-screen, unfortunately...

You can always pull up a Debian chroot prompt, type

wmctrl -r sword -b toggle,fullscreen

If that doesn't work, type

wmctrl -l

and look at the list of windows until you find the right one, then substitute a part of the actual window name for "sword" in the above example.

You can also just use IceWM to run it...

doctorbri
2008-07-11, 22:40
You can always pull up a Debian chroot prompt, type

This worked great, thanks. Is that all your "Make OO Fullscreen" app is?

You can also just use IceWM to run it...

I originally tried to, but I get the error posted below. Why would an app work in the chroot but not via Ice? I have also tried running via the '/root/debian hilda' and 'cp .desktop' methods, but neither work. Gnomesword only works via chroot and closes automaticly when the chroot is closed (this may be normal behavior, I don't know).

** (gnomesword2:1600): WARNING **: can't create bookmarks dir
empty document
I/O error : Permission denied
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/user/.gnomesword/settings.xml"
Document not parsed successfully.
empty document
Segmentation fault

Benson
2008-07-11, 22:43
Well, you should be running it in the chroot either way; that may just be confused terminology on your part, but I suspect you're not doing it that way.

qole
2008-07-11, 22:55
This worked great, thanks. Is that all your "Make OO Fullscreen" app is?

<blush> You've caught me! :o

I originally tried to, but I get the error posted below. Why would an app work in the chroot but not via Ice? I have also tried running via the '/root/debian hilda' and 'cp .desktop' methods, but neither work. Gnomesword only works via chroot and closes automaticly when the chroot is closed (this may be normal behavior, I don't know).

** (gnomesword2:1600): WARNING **: can't create bookmarks dir
empty document
I/O error : Permission denied
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/user/.gnomesword/settings.xml"
Document not parsed successfully.
empty document
Segmentation fault

I recognize this. This was one of the reasons why I made the "hilda" command. You ran gnomesword as root the first time (in the chroot prompt), and now you can't run it as user (which is what happens with all of the other methods). At the chroot prompt, you have to do the following:

chown -R user:users /home/user/.gnomesword

Makurosu
2008-07-11, 23:32
Hey, do you mean my instructions to get regular alsamixer working, or did you manage to get gnome-alsamixer working (because I still can't)?

Sorry, no. Gnome-alsamixer doesn't work for me either, but fiddling around with it got all the right packages installed so that sound started working. I really don't know what I'm doing at all, but I'm learning a lot doing it. It's like getting a new gadget. Thanks for making this possible, Qole.

BTW, frozen-bubble is a seriously addicting game. Beware!

dblank
2008-07-11, 23:32

Another neat way to toggle fullscreen, is to use evrouter + wmctrl, after installing evrouter, just put:
"Internal keypad" "/dev/input/event2" none key/64 "Shell/wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen"
in ~/.evrouterrc

and at startup, run:
evrouter /dev/input/event2
(you may need to first change permissions on /dev/input/event2, or use sudo.)

Then you can toggle by simply pressing the normal fullscreen button.

I also have:
"Internal keypad" "/dev/input/event2" none key/65 "XButton/3"
in .evrouterrc, so the right button sends a right click (like in the vnc viewer)

evrouter is neat :)

Benson
2008-07-11, 23:43
Cool tip.

And of course, if you have usbmouse, you have evrouter; that's what we used to map events to clicks. If you're gonna use grown-up apps, you oughta use grown-up peripherals. ;)

Makurosu
2008-07-11, 23:55
Pingus works. It stutters a bit in the title screen, but once you get to the game, it's very playable with the stylus. So far, anyway. My 5 year old is engrossed with my N800 playing it. That should keep him out of trouble for a few minutes.

Start it up like this:

hilda pingus --fullscreen --geometry=640x480

Benson
2008-07-12, 00:02
We've pingus (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=151559#post151559) on ITOS, though. ;) It does have a memory leak, which perhaps the Debian one doesn't, though.

Makurosu
2008-07-12, 01:07
We've pingus (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=151559#post151559) on ITOS, though. ;) It does have a memory leak, which perhaps the Debian one doesn't, though.

Hey wow, so we do. Pingus on Debian on the N800 isn't perfect either. It gets stuttery the longer you stay in a screen.

Chromium is too slow to be playable.

Blobwars (Blob Metal Solid) works GREAT. The only problem is that the opening screen says "Press space to continue." So on my N800, I had to go into windowed mode to bring up a keyboard so I could press the space bar. After configuring the keys, it plays just like the desktop version, except that it can get bogged down if you start blowing away lots of bad guys all at once, which can be good because I can then savor the moment. This is my son's favorite game, so this is a big win and Daddy is a hero tonight. :cool:

scumgrief
2008-07-12, 01:26
Chromium and supertuxkart both take advantage of hardware 3d acceleration. Please realize debian chroot or booting debian does not give you hw 3d acc. Thankfull frozen bubble doesn't need that, I imagine how fun it is!

Cheers,
S

qole
2008-07-12, 01:39
I also have:
"Internal keypad" "/dev/input/event2" none key/65 "XButton/3"
in .evrouterrc, so the right button sends a right click (like in the vnc viewer)

evrouter is neat :)

That might be the magic I need, thanks for the tips! It's sort of a 'Forced-Hildonization' ;)

Makurosu
2008-07-12, 01:51
Chromium and supertuxkart both take advantage of hardware 3d acceleration. Please realize debian chroot or booting debian does not give you hw 3d acc. Thankfull frozen bubble doesn't need that, I imagine how fun it is!

Cheers,
S

I realize that. I'm just impressed that opengl works at all, even if it's without hardware acceleration. I knew supertuxkart wouldn't be any good, but I hoped chromium would be better than it was because it's less graphically intensive.

I'm serious about frozen-bubble addiction. :)

Benson
2008-07-12, 01:52
Yeah, Chromium's actually remarkably intensive for a top-down scroller; makes for beautiful graphics, though, on machines with hardware!

Maxoueb
2008-07-12, 02:16
How do you install evrouter?
apt-get install evrouter doesn't work :/

debernardis
2008-07-16, 12:55
rlplot is a nice and simple qt application I had been using in the past, and now it's available in debian arm repos. It is good to make publication-quality graphs, i.e. those without that naive spreadsheet quality that doesn't please to peer reviewers :D

Benson
2008-07-18, 18:45
gnome-alsamixer

Works like a charm; of course, that's either booted or chrooted into a JohnX's-beta-3-derived Debian image.

Screenshots here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=204516&postcount=667). :p

So if there's anything I can do to help let me know; you want package listings, config files, or whatever...

qole
2008-07-18, 22:52
Works like a charm; of course, that's either booted or chrooted into a JohnX's-beta-3-derived Debian image.

So if there's anything I can do to help let me know; you want package listings, config files, or whatever...

So what we need from you (or someone) is the difference between JohnX's beta3 and my much more basic chroot. As you saw, I had to install all of the Alsa packages, and copy /usr/share/alsa/* to the chroot, and now a very simple one-slider "alsamixer" works in the terminal... It says:

Card: Alsa-DSP external ctl plugin
Chip: ALSA-DSP plugin Mixer
View: ...
Item: PCM

But none of the graphical ones (there are several) I've tried have worked, they all fail with the same complaint about hw:0 not not existing. Is there some higher-level alsa config files that are used by X apps but not by terminal apps?

EDIT:
Looking at your screenshot, that TSC2301 on the mixer tab is very interesting!
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2113&stc=1&d=1216405652

That's the touchscreen controller and audio codec chip (specs (http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tsc2301.html))! You need to find out how Alsa knows about that, because it isn't mentioned in the alsa.conf files I've seen... Please do some grepping around for "TSC2301" if you can... Also, tell me what your "alsamixer" says your card & chip are.

debernardis
2008-07-19, 05:05
I have the JohnX beta 3 rootfs and when starting gnome-alsamixer it reports another hardware, namely TLV320AIC33.
Playing with the sliders I get an amazing volume boost, at the point that speakers distort - and I am scared they get broken!

dcarter
2008-07-19, 05:28
The Gimp works fine, if you are patient...

Best to keep the image size less than the actual screen resolution, 600x360 or whatever...

It is pretty impressive to have all the tools and plug ins working, distortions and such are fun to screw with the photographed faces of those you loathe.....

dcarter

qole
2008-07-19, 07:32
I have the JohnX beta 3 rootfs and when starting gnome-alsamixer it reports another hardware, namely TLV320AIC33.

Quite the mystery! I wonder if it is an N800 vs N810 thing? I know debernardis has an N810, and I think Benson, like me, has an N800...

debernardis, could you check "alsamixer" from your Debian terminal? What does it report?

debernardis
2008-07-19, 07:45
Here is my output:

AlsaMixer v1.0.16 (Press Escape to quit)]
Chip: ALSA-DSP plugin Mixer
View: [Playback] Capture All

Does not seem so helpful uh?

qwerty12
2008-07-19, 07:59
N800 has a TSC2301 touchscreen
N810 has a TSC2005 touchscreen

Dunno if this helps but it seems that the display is affecting which mixer shows up (as shown by the N800 having TSC2301 as it's mixer)

Not a lot of difference in the drivers actually between the two.

(I need to set up chroot again. ~lart reflashing)

qole
2008-07-20, 08:23
Is it possible that someone could post the Bootable Debian /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?

I think that might be the key...

EDIT: No, poking around in the bootable Debian tarball, I see there's no such file.

But there IS a directory that I can't figure out the source of:

/usr/lib/alsa-lib/smixer

I can't find the files in this directory in any Debian package (http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=smixer-hda.so&mode=path&suite=unstable&arch=any), nor in our standard tablet files. So where do they come from?

EDIT2: I'm currently exploring the following files:
/etc/asound.conf
/etc/asoundrc

debernardis
2008-07-20, 10:11
I can't find the files in this directory in any Debian package (http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=smixer-hda.so&mode=path&suite=unstable&arch=any), nor in our standard tablet files. So where do they come from?

This seems part of an alsa-lib package, but not from Debian package repos, but from some rpm - see here (http://wwwacs.gantep.edu.tr/docs/packages/alsa-lib-1.0.11-i486-1).

qole
2008-07-20, 10:38
FINAL EDIT:

I just installed the alsa sound system in a new chroot. First, I had to install some packages:

apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils libasound2-plugins alsa-oss

Then I downloaded the attachment below, and unzipped it as root from the Debian chroot prompt:

[root@Debian: /]tar xzvf /home/user/MyDocs/alsa-files.tar.gz

That does it.

------

Ok, the magic seems to happen in two files. The Debian /etc/asound.conf is the same as our maemo /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, and the /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf is a big file that does some magic stuff that makes things work. I bet it is the default Debian alsa.conf file.

I have attached a tarball of the two files.

Once I copied these files into place, I found I had to issue

/etc/init.d/alsa-utils start

...this made the new config files take effect.

Hoorah. Finally.

EDIT: I have no idea if those mysterious mixer files have anything to do with anything...

Benson
2008-07-21, 13:28
Not sure from your last couple posts if you got this rockin' yet or not, but there's two alsa devices. If I just run alsamixer, I get:
Chip: ALSA-DSP plugin Mixerwhich has only one (PCM) control.
But alsamixer -c0 gives:
Card: OMAP24xx EAC
Chip: TSC2301which has all the controls, as seen in gnome-alsamixer.
BTW, thanks for the link on the TSC2301; I might actually figure out what soem of the more obscure toggles are. (OT: No luck on that yet, but check p. 71 in the data sheet; we have a hardware equalizer just waiting for IIR coefficients to be loaded into it...)

(For the record: BT+BTM = HSP EACPCM+Headset Amplifier = 1/8" jack EACPCM+Speaker Amplifier = speakersThese all work in any combination, but I'm not sure on the others. I think BTM2PCM routes HSP mic to speakers+1/8" jack...)

qole
2008-07-21, 16:33
Benson: I got it rockin', thanks!

Francisco
2008-07-22, 01:12
Sorry for the newbie question. All I need is a browser with java for access to my home bank. Is this only possible with Qole installation of Debian? Is there a option to have it with Firefox but w/o the OpenOffice and others? Make this a big difference of needed memory?

dan
2008-07-26, 01:26
newbie at Debian and Linux. I tried to install an app from the Synaptic Package Manager and three quarters of the way through install it stopped. Now when I try to enter Synaptic an error box comes up and says, "dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg -- configure -a' to correct the problem."
Now I went to x-term and typed in the run "dpkg --configure -a' to correct problem and I get, "dpkg: parse error, in file /var/Lib/dpkg/updates/0107' near line 1: newline in field name '#padding'.
I don't know what to do with those instructions. How do I fix this because I can't get into Synaptic. Any help, advise or tips would be greatly apreciated. Thanks, Dan

Benson
2008-07-26, 01:33
Well, only thing I know is to go hack /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0107 with a text editor. Try to fix whatever's wrong with it with...

I'm not strong on Debian packaging, and never saw nothin' like that, so good luck. :/

dan
2008-07-26, 07:06
when I do the /var/lib/... I now get a permission denied.
How do I get permission to get into this file and look for #padding?
Everything else works. Is there a way to undo the dpkg I was trying to install?
I'm actually learning quite a bit.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

qole
2008-07-26, 08:20
are you editing the file as root?

also, try apt-get remove <package>

what package is broken?

Perhaps, you may have some filesystem damage, you would need to reboot and try fsck.

Apt / dpkg is great when it works, but when it breaks like this it can be a real mess to get it working again...

dan
2008-07-26, 17:03
yes I'm in root.
I have been reading several threads on Debian forums and it seems to be a common problem with Synaptic not properly downloading the package. The recommend fix is to go into the line and delete the word on the line( in this case #padding). Problem is I get a 'permission denied'. I just noticed I can only access ROXTERM and not x-terminal.
If worse comes to worse how do I remove Debian and re-install. My fear is that the corrupted download file will mess up new Debian install.
Any thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan

edit: uninstalled debian and reinstalled.

Benson
2008-07-28, 20:29
gmpc
Note the statusbar icon, and the popup menu from it. (Clicking the icon toggles the window into/out of existence. Right-clicking (long-hold) pops up the menu, and (wrongly) also toggles the window.)

b-man
2008-07-29, 02:23
Looks pritty cool, could you provide some information on how you did this?, i would love to try this out:).

dan
2008-07-29, 13:33
Debian is an awesome addition to NIT.
Anyone encounter the following error when using Synaptic manager to load an app.
It says I've run out of space on my devise and can't load app.
I have over 20gb on that card!
I'm on a trip so I can't read several hundred posts on my N800 to see if this has been addressed. TIA, Dan

Benson
2008-07-29, 13:48
Looks pritty cool, could you provide some information on how you did this?, i would love to try this out:).
Me? Just:
debbie gmpc

Obviously, you need a Debian chroot environment with gmpc installed. Beta3-based here, but you should be able to make things rock with Beta4.

b-man
2008-07-29, 14:06
Thanks, i kinda figured that you needed to do that :P.

qole
2008-07-29, 16:47
Does gmpc need mpd? If so, that'll be a problem for anyone using our stock chroot scripts...

Benson
2008-07-29, 16:54
Well, it connects to an mpd. But you'd typically use it as a remote control (over wifi) for your media machine running mpd, or (atypically) run mpd under Diablo (like me), and then either maemo or chroot apps can connect and control it. Using the Debian mpd inside the chroot would be basically pointless.

fatalsaint
2008-07-29, 16:54
Does gmpc need mpd? If so, that'll be a problem for anyone using our stock chroot scripts...

I had that working with bootable debian beta3.. I had to remove your copy commands that overwrote the passwd and group files.. beta3's passwd file was so similar that there was no issues I ran into with not copying over the stock passwd file and keeping the mpd user.

Everything worked great for me. Beta4 will be a different story...

qole
2008-07-29, 17:01
Using the Debian mpd inside the chroot would be basically pointless.

Why? Your mmc cards are visible in the chroot...

I have tried a handful of XMMS2 clients and various other Debian media players, all of them have performance issues. So far nothing compares with maemo XMMS for performance...

Benson
2008-07-29, 17:04
Yeah, but why run daemons from chroot (not necessarily available at boot, and blocks you from unmounting the card) when you've got the same thing already built for Maemo?

Not that you can't do it, but for mpd, I think it's pointless. For something else where there's no Maemo build, it could make sense.

qole
2008-07-29, 17:58
Just a note, I posted simple instructions for getting Alsa (sound) working in a Debian install that has no support yet (like the chroot image) in this post (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=205041&postcount=51).

debernardis
2008-07-30, 05:02
The latest update/upgrade of my debian chroot brought Abiword 2.6.4 (we had 2.4.6 before). This seems quite an advancement - Qole you should consider updating the big rootfs! :-)

b-man
2008-07-30, 12:37
Has enyone got emelfm working? when i try to install it i get the following:

user@Nokia-N800-23-14:/# apt-get -f install emelfm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package emelfm is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package emelfm has no installation candidate
user@Nokia-N800-23-14:/#

As you can see, it is having problems because the package is unavailable or obso
lete in the sorce that it is trying to obtain it from. Perhaps i need to add a url in my /etc/apt/sorces.list?, ware can i obtain this?

I have wierless working and am planning to get a usable bluetooth manager up and running:D

fatalsaint
2008-07-30, 14:00
What is your issues with bluetooth??

apt-get install bluetooth gnome-bluetooth bluez-gnome

gave me everything I need.. launch gnome-obex-server as user and it gives you a little bluetooth icon in your tray and will accept incoming OBEX transfers.. there is some command line send ones I haven't tried yet.. but I've gotten up to the point of pairing it with my phone and setup wvdial for DUN.. but I never actually ran wvdial and tethered to the phone just configured it.. (this was in beta3.. though everything still appears to function fine in beta4).

Looks like EmelFM is in the Sarge and Etch repo's.. we have SID.. http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=emelfm .. you might try one of those.. download from the website and run a dpkg -i; if it needs dependencies it'll complain but a simple apt-get -f install should grab them and finish setting up the package.. I have to do this kind of thing all day at work :D. This is how I know OBEX transfers are working in beta4 :)

Right now my biggest hurdle is sound =-\.. my beta4 installations keep dying at the n810-keyboard package.. even though it's in the nit-base-packages it is still not building into a .deb and so the repository is not seeing it.. thus crashing my install. I have to manually finish by building the n810 package; install nit-env-x; install icewm; reconfigure dpkg; and set my root passwd...

And apparantly I need to manually configure my sound.. but the .conf files provided by qole aren't working.. and find /dev -group audio only produces 3 devices.. /dev/mixer, /dev/snd/controlC0, and /dev/input/event3... but no /dev/dsp.. so mpd keeps failing to find the audio device.

fatalsaint
2008-07-30, 14:19
Another option for you:

Emelfm2:
http://emelfm2.net/OtherDownLoads

You can try the latest Ubuntu ones, or compile from source:
http://emelfm2.net/

b-man
2008-07-30, 14:26
Thanks, now about your keyboard problem, do you have a deb called "n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap-1.1-2.deb" in your nit-repository? If not, i could send mine to you using rapidshare, would that help?

fatalsaint
2008-07-30, 14:34
Thanks, now about your keyboard problem, do you have a deb called "n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap-1.1-2.deb" in your nit-repository? If not, i could send mine to you using rapidshare, would that help?

Nono.. my keyboard is working.. but that package n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap.. for whatever reason.. is not installing when I run the installer.

./debian-install

format the partition, tell it to go to svn, it downloads everything (including the source for that package), installs the basic framework of an OS.. and then tries to install nit-env-x but the crashes says it depends on n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap but it is not to be installed.

So when I go look.. there is no n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap in my nit-repository/binary directory.. but there IS the source/base for it in the nit-base-packages... so I have to go in there, dpkg-deb --build n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap.. which builds it just fine, dpkg -i that file, and then apt-get install nit-env-x. But I can't get the installer to just pickup where it left off.. since it died it's done.. if I just restart it it'll get to the point where it tries to download from SVN and die saying nit-base-packages already exists. So I have to basically continue building my base from there. Which isn't hard.. like I said; once you load nit-env-(whatever) it brings down a TON of dependencies, including most of the nit-packages.. you have to set your own root password, and you have to reconfigure dpkg because it was disabled during the install (to disable services, every time you do a /etc/init.d/(service) restart it says it's a fake package.. thus if you boot with this almost nothing works.)

After that your Debian works... The very first time I loaded beta4 I did not have this problem with then n810 keyboard package.. so I don't know if something is remaining on my deletions that are confusing it.. or if something changed in the SVN that broke it... The only difference is the very first time I used the xfce4 default one.. now I am using the basic barebones X package because I want to use IceWM.. not XFCE.

qole
2008-08-03, 20:12
I am surprised to say that Debian Iceweasel works quite well, once you tweak it a bit.
I found that I need:

Debian running in a partition (not the image file, this is too slow)
GTK stylus right-click set on
powerlaunch fullscreen hack
powerlaunch matchbox-keyboard hack (matchbox-keyboard doesn"t seem to have an apostrophe, however!)
Toolbar set to small icons, bookmark bar "off"
Adblock+ (maybe use css instead for more speed?)

The Transmission bittorrent client (transmission-gtk package) seems to work well with OS2008 with GTK stylus right-click and Iceweasel...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/2729252127_faff95f755_o.png (http://www.flickr.com/photos/qole2/2729252127/)

dan
2008-08-05, 07:22
Two great apps for Easy Debian if you get a message when adding an app through Synaptic manager that says 'not enough memory in storage device' or if you get a message 'app did not load properly' get the following two apps GTKOrphan and Wajig. Both have GUI but in Wajig you will need to be Chroot and type 'gjig' to get the GUI and for 'GTKorphan type 'gtkorphan'. Wajig might also require you to install 'Python-glade2' and 'Python-gnome2'. They both help remove 'Orphan apps' and boy does debian leave 'Orphan Apps'( my N800 had 4gb after just 6 app installs! ). Also look for two apps 'gnome-mount' and 'Hal' in 'Not installed(residual config)' on left side of Synaptic manager. Remove them and it should clear up more error install messages. Also do 'apt-get autoclean', 'apt-get update' and in Synaptic manager 'Reload'. One last thing when you do 'Reload' in Synaptic manager if you get an error redo until it reloads properly. If you leave Synaptic manager without a proper reload good luck next time you go into Synaptic manager and try to install another app.

Qole I hope all future environments of full Debian, KDE, Android, etc... are done your Easy Debian Chroot way. I love having the environment in a window where I can still access my Hildon desktop on the left side and I can see my clock and wifi on the top and still go full screen. IMHO it is better than going into a whole other environment and then exiting to get back to Hildon desktop.

I can't seem to load 'Iceweasel Web Browser' from Extra menu! I've done nine fresh installs on two cards and it has never worked. Did I miss something in the Install process. :(

Also any easy way to add more Debian apps to Extra menu so I can have them in a window like Synaptic manager?

fatalsaint
2008-08-05, 22:58
I can't seem to load 'Iceweasel Web Browser' from Extra menu! I've done nine fresh installs on two cards and it has never worked. Did I miss something in the Install process. :(

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=209826&postcount=273

Also any easy way to add more Debian apps to Extra menu so I can have them in a window like Synaptic manager?

Personal Menu.. Create New Item.. "debbie application".

Or for root: "sudo debian application".

If they absolutely have to be in the "extras" menu.. open a terminal:
as root

cp /usr/share/applications/hildon/ooo.desktop /usr/share/applications/hildon/mynewapp.desktop
vi /usr/share/applications/hildon/mynewapp.desktop

Change to something like

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=UberSoftware
GenericName=UberSoftware
Exec=debbie application
Icon=<find an icon, or leave it to be Open Office's>

Leave the rest as is.. I don't know of any "easy" way to add items to the default maemo menu.. just Personal Launcher.. it's much easier.

qole
2008-08-05, 23:23

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=209826&postcount=273

The upshot of that post is that, until the "debbie" script is fixed (or I give up waiting for a fix and change the menu item in the package), you need to change your iceweasel menu item (edit /usr/share/applications/hildon/iceweasel.desktop as root) so that the "Exec=" line says

Exec=sudo debian hilda iceweasel

NOT "Exec=debbie iceweasel"

Sorry for the broken menu item!

delaroca
2008-08-08, 10:47
Any app that can handle pdf forms? Is Acrobat available for Debian Armel?

--denis

qole
2008-08-08, 20:39
After installing mini-Gnome (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=210658#post210658), I have found two Gnome apps to be very nice in OS2008 as well.

gThumb: A really nice little picture viewer, it can do simple picture manipulation, and it has a rocking fullscreen mode with an autohiding finger friendly menu bar.

Nautilus file browser: Wow. You can connect to just about any file source, be it FTP, SMB, SSH or just local files, and browse the files and folders easily. It also has really good support for mime types and "open with".

debbie 'nautilus --no-desktop --browser'

dschmicker
2008-08-09, 08:59
Hi,

last year I tried to convince people to install debian on N800. But now the situation is much better, as lenny / armel is becoming official.

I wrote down some notes how I installed lenny / armel on N800 using vncviewer to get the graphical interface. Especially on N800 this has the advantage to have the maemo on screen keyboard availible.

I used debootstrap to install lenny, which is quite a clean way. Of cause it takes some time (for complete gnome environment some hours)
But you get a lot of applications, which probably nobody will port to maemo. I use kstars, octave, maxima (broken at the moment on armel, but I hope it will be fixed soon), and what you need. The armel port statistics say, that more than 95% of the i386 applications of debian work.

My aim is to get a one click installer for debian / lenny onto diablo distribution! The only hand made should be formating the sd card with some unix file system.

Who likes to take part?

Here is my howto: http://www.physik.de/770

Detlef

qole
2008-08-09, 22:35
dschmicker, please look at the Deblet website (http://trac.tspre.org/projects/deblet) for more info about current efforts to make a complete tablet Debian bootstrap installer. Also, my Easy Debian package (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21629) does an easy install of a chroot Debian environment, using a big image file with all the apps pre-installed and the Xephyr nested x-server to host a window manager instead of VNC.

There was a mysterious user, "megami", who got me interested in Debian last January. Here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=121553&postcount=184) is his teaser screenshot post, and then here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=122167&postcount=189)'s his explanation post. He even wrote up a wiki article on the subject.

Any relation?

dschmicker
2008-08-10, 11:57
Thanks,

the guys from deblet project just contacted me. My problem is: The main problems and the main work is done for booting debian on tablet.

This is much more difficult, and it has licence issues. For me it is important to get as many applications as possible on the tablet. Therefore the vncviewer approach with chroot. vncviewer has the additional advantage that it offers a 800x600 virtual display, which makes most (all?) debian applications usable without screen size issues.

The big image approach is not option to me (I do not like it:-)

(by the way, no relation with this mysterious poster)

qole
2008-08-10, 16:10
I found that a 770x770 virtual display is best; you get a single vertical scrollbar.

I prefer running my Debian apps in OS2008 rather than a secondary WM. See this post (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=211973#post211973) for my most recent chroot scripts that integrate Debian almost seamlessly ('debbie openoffice' runs Debian openoffice in OS2008).

qole
2008-08-13, 04:27
Vectoroids would be lots of fun if there was a way to remap the fire button to something other than the space bar. I bet it works well on the N810.

EDIT: I'm going to do some experimenting with xmodmap (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21848) and xbindkeys (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=206891#post206891) to see if I can remap the N800 keys to be more useful for Debian programs. Should be interesting. (I confess, I'm adding this edit so I can use this post as reference for those two posts, oh and the xbindkeys info (http://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html) and some xmodmap info (http://web.mit.edu/answers/xwindows/xwindows_xmodmap.html) too :D )

qole
2008-08-13, 06:19
Ok, so here's what you do to make Vectoroids lots of (loud) retro-gaming fun:

Start up your Debian chroot, and enter the following (you could make a script if you find it to be as much fun as I do)

xmodmap -e "keysym F4 = space"
hilda /usr/games/vectoroids -f
xmodmap -e "keycode 70 = F4"

The important keys (after this mapping) are:
DPad up: thrusters
DPad left & right: rotate counter & clockwise
Menu key: fire gun

(note that this game seems to have been ported (ftp://ftp.billsgames.com/unix/x/vectoroids/nokia770/) already (https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=64&release_id=90), oh well. I'm going to chalk this one up as "I've figured out how to remap the keys on an application-specific basis...)

dan
2008-08-17, 02:30
If they absolutely have to be in the "extras" menu.. open a terminal:
as root
Code:
cp /usr/share/applications/hildon/ooo.desktop /usr/share/applications/hildon/mynewapp.desktop
vi /usr/share/applications/hildon/mynewapp.desktop
Change to something like
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=UberSoftware
GenericName=UberSoftware
Exec=debbie application
Icon=<find an icon, or leave it to be Open Office's>

Thanks, Fatalsaint. I got the app into my custom menu and when I click on the app it opens in Hildon window(sweeeet!!!). Now can you please write out the path where the Icon for Openoffice.png is so I can add my new Debian apps icon into that path. I will show a screenshot afterwards.

dan
2008-08-17, 15:16
Qole The Debian bug I mentioned earlier has come back.

Here is what happens. I'm in Easy Debian I only have one app running say Iceweasel Web Browser. I have turned off all non essential background apps, applets, status bar, etc..( clock, bluetooth, omweather). After about 45 minutes my screen will go white and the sound and light status menus reappear and my wifi gets re-started. Now I did re-flash both sdhc cards, re-did my easy dual boot by PB, installed Easy Debian on my mmc1 card, have almost no apps loaded yet so I could see if this bug came back as before. Anyone know how to trace it so I can post results. Last time it did this I was in Synaptic manager upgrading and it trashed both Debian and Hildon that I had to completely redo do both. TIA

b-man
2008-08-17, 18:13
This is a little off-topic from the situation but:

Emelfm2
The ultimate filesystem tool now available for Deblet!

This is a raw port of emelfm2 witch will make the need of editing/minipulating/reparing components of Deblet from Maemo allmost obsolete! :D

Special thanks: fatalsaint for helping in porting this powerful program to Deblet using scratchbox.

Download (http://rapidshare.com/files/138039833/emelfm2_0.4.1_armel.deb.html)

Screenshots:

Btw,i'm running xkbd.

fatalsaint
2008-08-17, 18:34
That actually wasn't ported from Ubuntu.. that was the latest source downloaded from emelfm2's website... it's newer than the latest Ubuntu version :).

Ubuntu is 0.3.5; this is 0.4.1. I'll be making another thread for software people want ported.

b-man
2008-08-17, 18:41
Wops, thanks for pointing that out :p

qole
2008-08-18, 17:41
This is a really cool program. I would love to see this ported to maemo.

GParted

gparted /dev/mmcblk0 /dev/mmcblk1

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3253/2775373488_1c6053de39_o.png (http://www.flickr.com/photos/qole2/2775373488/)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3037/2774633433_ee2ec5c94e_o.png (http://www.flickr.com/photos/qole2/2774633433/)

Notes:

I found I had to do this to get the dbus side of things working. Don't know if I needed to do it or not; gparted-bin seems to work even if I don't set up the dbus stuff.

In Maemo xterm (not Debian), after mounting Debian partition:

mount -o bind /var/run/dbus/ /debian/var/run/dbus/

fatalsaint
2008-08-18, 17:49
Flyback ('http://code.google.com/p/flyback/') works pretty good in debian with all the python dependencies installed.

It's got some bugs but I'm not sure if they are bugs with the software or bugs in the way it runs on the tablet lol.. but it is a good way to keep backups of your tablet to an external USB drive :)..

It follows the idea of the Macintosh "Time Machine"..

qole
2008-08-18, 18:03
Flyback isn't technically a Debian app... ;)

Actually, with the python dependencies in place, it should work in Maemo, too, right?

debernardis
2008-08-18, 18:04
If you're looking for an awesome calculator, try qalculate - makes also algebraic, fractions, conversions, plots and also other maths I'm not smart enough to understand :-)

fatalsaint
2008-08-18, 18:08
Flyback isn't technically a Debian app... ;)

Actually, with the python dependencies in place, it should work in Maemo, too, right?

Theoretically yes.. but I don't think all the dependencies are ported to Maemo..

apt-get install python python-glade2 python-gnome2 python-sqlite3 rsync

Especially the Gnome2 and maybe the sqlite3...

But yeah.. as long as all the python dependencies are there it should work.

dan
2008-08-18, 23:23
Well I got the Debian chroot apps installed into my menu(see below). I still need advise on where to put the icon files(perferably where the ooo-gull icon resides since it seems to be friendly with the apps in my menu).

Anyone get QTStalker running. I've got it installed with all the libs and dependencies but can't seem to get it going, same for GMPC. All the others work great. I love being able to load from my menu and then go into maemo apps if need be.
Great work guys, especially Qole, B-man and Fatalsaint(Hope I didn't forget someone).

Qole I'm requesting for next Easy Deb. KDE full, QTStalker, flash, Android, MPD, GMPC, Emelfm2, QT apps for starters. I'd be willing to assist in testing.

Once I get rotation and speed into dual boot I will start Full Debian( I think its Deblet now with KDE v4).

I'm slow but I get it done eventually. :)

TIA

qole
2008-08-18, 23:30
Just a follow-up. If you want to mess about with partitions at all, GParted officially rocks.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3031/2776137514_9c7e0347eb_o.png (http://www.flickr.com/photos/qole2/2776137514/)

dan
2008-08-19, 00:26
Qole, Will GParted work for Easy Debian and it like it would allow me to make a duplicate copy of entire mmc2 including dual boot with Diablo. I need a quick way to make a backup mmc2 for testing purposes. I do this with mmc1 where I put Easy Debian. It allows me to redo Easy Debian in 3 minutes flat. TIA

qole
2008-08-19, 00:42
It seems that I spoke a little too soon. GParted works great with unmounted ext2 partitions. I have tried to resize the fat32 partition on an 8GB card and the fat32 partition on my external USB HDD, both with no success. In both cases, the fat32 partition filled the entire device. In both cases, the fat32 partition was auto-mounted in Maemo. GParted couldn't unmount the partitions (because they were mounted in Maemo, and the chroot mounts were just bindings, I think) so I closed the chroot, unmounted the partitions, started the chroot back up and tried again... However, when the fat32 partitions were unmounted, GParted claimed that it couldn't read them, and so wouldn't allow me to resize them. So I mounted them within the chroot and tried again. GParted won't let me resize because the partition is mounted. So I unmount from within GParted. This time, the unmount is a success. However, the same error occurs. When unmounted, the fat32 partition becomes unreadable and so cannot be resized. Argh!

I guess the workaround is to format the drive and create a half-size fat32 partition, then use GParted to mess about with secondary partitions.

Dan: GParted has "copy" as one of the options for a partition, so I suspect what you want would work.

b-man
2008-08-19, 03:31
I wonder now hard it would be to port Gparted to maemo, besides hildonization. after all, it's practicly available for armel, all that probably needds tweaking (becides hildonization) is the library files that run it.

Btw, i will be a little busy, I acsidently killed my deblet install and i'm working with Stskeeps to try to bring it back from the dead.. I worked too hard to have to just re-install deblet and loose all the work i put into it (my awsome desktop and all the apps i installed allong with marrine pluse all my costom themes and screenlets).

dan
2008-08-19, 03:33
Qole, I installed Gparted and it gave me a Hal error but I have Hal installed, then it gave me a gnome-device-manager error but I have gnome-device-manager installed, etc... Below is screen shot of Synaptic manager and the debian chroot. Anyway to get Gparted working on Easy Debian? I need Gparted for copying mmc2. TIA

qole
2008-08-19, 03:59
Dan, I discuss the error you show in your second screenshot in my post above:

Notes:

I found I had to do this to get the dbus side of things working. Don't know if I needed to do it or not; gparted-bin seems to work even if I don't set up the dbus stuff.

In Maemo xterm (not Debian), after mounting Debian partition:

I suggest trying gparted-bin first. If you are not happy with that, try the mount command and then try gparted again.

dan
2008-08-19, 05:58
Qole,

Thanks got it loaded. I don't see any devices though? Below is a screenshot. I have Debian in mmc1 and dual boot in mmc2. Any ideas?? Newbie question

Also how do I set up the menu path to apps like GParted, GTKOrphan etc... that require you to go in from chroot? Newbie question

B-man sorry to hear about your lost Debian. :( This happened to me about five times before I created a backup solution to Easy Debian that I regularly update so that as I test new apps, features, etc.. in Easy Debian, I know that I can be backup in 5 minutes or less.

This is why I drive everyone crazy on these forums looking for a backup solution to mmc2 with dual boot and Diablo. So if mmc2 gets fried I can just reload the entire mmc2 card in a few minutes with a mirror backup of my previous mmc2 setup. So far no one has shown me a way to completely create a mirror backup. I can do it for Easy Debian on mmc1, but no go on mmc2. Let's find a way to do this so we can test to our hearts content and know that if it get's fried we can replace and be backup in a few minutes.

BrentDC
2008-08-19, 15:37
You have to run gparted with arguments i.e. your different storage medians. So, I would run at the debian prompt "gparted /dev/mmcblk0 /dev/mmcblk1" ;)

As for the proper commands to launch debian apps from outside the terminal, what is it qole? 'sudo debian hilda <app>' or 'debbie <app>' or 'sudo debian -u user <app>', I don't know, it seems like it keeps changing... :confused:

Edit: Ok, I just tested it, and "sudo debian hilda <app>" seems to work. So that is what you'd put in the Exec= line of your .desktop file.

dan
2008-08-19, 18:06
BrentDC many thanks.
Gparted and Emelfm2 are very powerful apps for Nxx's.
Would you happen to know how to make a mirror copy of mmc2 using Gparted?
Also do you happen to know how to activate GMPC and QTStalker?? I got them loaded but I can't seem to activate(similar to GParted problem you just solved).
I know the sudo debian hilda <app>. When I try to launch Gparted from a menu I get an error message saying, 'Gparted must be run from root'. Just testing to see if it can be run from menu so I don't have to remember all these commands. GTKOrphan is the same way. On the Maemo side I have several apps that need to be run from command line. Any ideas?? TIA

qole
2008-08-19, 18:10
As for the proper commands to launch debian apps from outside the terminal, what is it qole? 'sudo debian hilda <app>' or 'debbie <app>' or 'sudo debian -u user <app>', I don't know, it seems like it keeps changing... :confused:

Edit: Ok, I just tested it, and "sudo debian hilda <app>" seems to work. So that is what you'd put in the Exec= line of your .desktop file.

"sudo debian hilda <app>" is the first, oldest, and always the safest way to launch an app from the menu. If you have the newest scripts from the "Running Debian in a chroot" thread, you can use the shorter (and, I suppose, more 'correct') "debbie <app>". The debbie script had some problems in previous versions of the scripts.

EDIT: If you want to run a Debian app as root, drop the "hilda" so that it is just "sudo debian <app>".

I wonder if the QTStalker app is having difficulties because you ran it as root, and now the permissions are messed up? Maybe post any errors you get in the terminal...

dan
2008-08-19, 18:41
I've never run QTStalker from root until now. Below is the errors I get.
chroot set up already!
Everything set up, running chroot...
[root@Debian: /]qtstalker
ASSERT: "i <= nodes" in /usr/include/qt3/qvaluelist.h (376)
QGDict::hashKeyString: Invalid null key
Config::getDbPlugin:/usr/lib/qtstalker/db/lib.0.32 Dll error

QRangeControl::setRange: minValue 0 > maxValue -1
Config::getIndicator:can't open indicator file /home/user/.qtstalker/data0/indicator/Indicators/
ASSERT: "i <= nodes" in /usr/include/qt3/qvaluelist.h (376)
Config::getDbPlugin:/usr/lib/qtstalker/db/lib.0.32 Dll error

QRangeControl::setRange: minValue 0 > maxValue -1
[root@Debian: /]
I hope you know what all this means because I'm too new to this to undestand. QTStalker does load and I can configure but it just can't seems to access the downloaded files from yahoo. TIA.

BrentDC
2008-08-19, 18:43
BrentDC many thanks.

No problem. It was mostly just me robbing the info from one of qole's posts a little while back :o

Gparted and Emelfm2 are very powerful apps for Nxx's.
Yes they are; you know Emelfm2 is available for Hildon, too? I use it constantly...

Would you happen to know how to make a mirror copy of mmc2 using Gparted?

Sadly, no. I haven't really looked to see what Gparted can do yet...

Also do you happen to know how to activate GMPC and QTStalker?? I got them loaded but I can't seem to activate(similar to GParted problem you just solved).

I'm not familiar with those applications. I may take a look in a while...

I know the sudo debian hilda <app>. When I try to launch Gparted from a menu I get an error message saying, 'Gparted must be run from root'. Just testing to see if it can be run from menu so I don't have to remember all these commands. GTKOrphan is the same way.

As qole said, drop the hilda and they run as root.

On the Maemo side I have several apps that need to be run from command line. Any ideas?? TIA

You mean Hildon apps? Then I strongly recommend you take a look at Personal Menu. It has nice little checkbox's for "Run in Terminal" and "Run as Root" [for hildon apps].

@qole: I happened to stumble across this one:

"sudo debian sudo -u user <app>" to run as user, and:

"sudo debian sudo -u root <app>" to run as root. Pretty kludgy though.

qole
2008-08-19, 18:48
@qole: I happened to stumble across this one:

"sudo debian sudo -u user <app>" to run as user, and:

"sudo debian sudo -u root <app>" to run as root. Pretty kludgy though.

Yeah, that's kinda what hilda and debbie do.

qole
2008-08-19, 18:54
Dan:

I noticed you ran qtstalker as root. That's almost always a bad idea. I still suspect that your permissions are causing you grief.

From the [root@Debian] prompt, do this:

rm -r /home/user/.qtstalker
hilda qtstalker

This should delete your qtstalker settings and force the program to re-create them. And since you're running qtstalker as user now (notice the "hilda" in there? Don't forget it!) your permissions should be correct.

If it doesn't run still, post your terminal output...

dan
2008-08-19, 18:56
Thanks Qole and BrentDC WOOOHOOO!! I got both Gparted and GTOrpan running from my menu. To run Gparted from menu properly you need to write out ' Exec=sudo debian gparted /dev/mmcblk0 /dev/mmcblk1 '. In case anyone wants to see their partitions. Now how to get GMPC and QTStalker running properly. TIA

dan
2008-08-19, 19:06
Here is my terminal output fot QTStalker.

[root@Debian: /]rm -r /home/user/ .qtstalker
rm: cannot remove directory `/home/user': Device or resource busy
rm: cannot remove `.qtstalker': No such file or directory
[root@Debian: /]hilda qtstalker
su user -c qtstalker

qole
2008-08-19, 19:08
Thanks BrentDC for fielding the questions; people seem to listen to you more than to me, for some reason. I guess I'm not spelling things out clearly enough...

qole
2008-08-19, 19:09
Here is my terminal output fot QTStalker.

[root@Debian: /]rm -r /home/user/ .qtstalker
rm: cannot remove directory `/home/user': Device or resource busy
rm: cannot remove `.qtstalker': No such file or directory

Um, yikes. You just tried to delete your entire home directory. There is no space before .qtstalker in that command!

dan
2008-08-19, 19:30
OK that 'rm' just trashed my entire unit. I lost all my custom menus. I now have a mouse pointer on my screen!!! I don't have a mouse connected!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! In file manager my user/documents/image folder has disappeared. Any idea how to fix this. I can easily restore Debian the mmc2 dual boot works. But how do I bring up the Maemo stuff. Yikes!! HEEEELLLPPPP!!!

fatalsaint
2008-08-19, 19:34
.... Ouch.

You just remove forced your entire maemo home directory... there likely isn't a way to get that back.. you gotta watch them spaces man o.o...

Looks like you need to re-clone your flash.... There isn't a trash bin when using rm =-(

dan
2008-08-19, 19:34
Boy I missed that one! So what do I do now? See why I need to backup everything. ;)

dan
2008-08-19, 19:40
How do I reclone?
wait. I have dual boot working. Maemo works. I can see the user directory in File manager briefly and then it dsappears. Help. HAHAHAHA!!!!! Gotta laugh.
My Easy Debian apps all work and are back in Extra menu. I got a frigging mouse pointer on my screens (pretty cool) I want to keep mouse pointer!

fatalsaint
2008-08-19, 19:44
You would reclone by booting into flash, uninstalling the clone deb if it's installed, and reinstalling it.. (or using the advanced cloner)... but it will reformat your internal MMC.

File Manager shows it briefly because it's been coded to check for those specific files.. but once it updates they aren't there and it dissapears (I actually manually removed mine a while ago and got the same behavior)..

Debian still works because all of it's apps are just re-creating it's home directory entries.. Maemo's apps should run but will also recreate their own directories and all your settings will be lost. But the File Manager does NOT recreate the default Maemo .videos, .sounds, .images, .documents and whatever else is in there by default.

I've never seen that mouse pointer... that's kinda cool but I have no idea what setting directory that stuff would be under..

dan
2008-08-19, 19:46
help me keep the mouse pointer. PLEASE. HAHAHAHA! QTStalker still loads but does not work.

dan
2008-08-19, 19:51
I just realized I made a duplicate copy of my user/ directory and I still have it in my mmc1. Any way to copy it from mmc1 to mmc2 and put it in file manager??

fatalsaint
2008-08-19, 19:51
Dont reflash then.. just re-setup all your apps and your settings... and recreate the following as a user:

mkdir ~/MyDocs
mkdir ~/MyDocs/.documents
mkdir ~/MyDocs/.images
mkdir ~/MyDocs/.sounds
mkdir ~/MyDocs/.videos

There is probably others.. but like I said.. I toasted my defaults a while ago :).

For the copy.. is that in the debian side?? You would run:

cp -rp /media/mmc1/path/to/home/user /home/user

Just make sure that the current maemo /home/user isn't mounted over the top of the source (IE: If the source is Debian's Home.. umount debians home first.. umount /debian/home/user)

dan
2008-08-19, 19:53
I like this!! I'm learning a lot. I don't understand what I'm learning but I'm learning no less. It's so cool having a mouse pointer being lead by my finger or stylus.

fatalsaint
2008-08-19, 19:54
Im used to it.. Bootable Debian has it all the time :). Never seen it in maemo though.. thats pretty nifty. I imagine those that install the USB mouse hack/trick have to have it though...

Which reminds me.. I need to go search how they did that so I can get a USB mouse to work in debian..

BrentDC
2008-08-19, 19:56
Do you have Backups via the nokia backup software? Restoring Documents and maybe settings might help...you may need to create some of the default folders first, though.

dan
2008-08-19, 20:01
OK do I do this in xterm or chroot??
I have never done any of this so bear with me.

Dont reflash then.. just re-setup all your apps and your settings... and recreate the following as a user:

mkdir ~/MyDocs
mkdir ~/MyDocs/.documents
mkdir ~/MyDocs/.images
mkdir ~/MyDocs/.sounds
mkdir ~/MyDocs/.videos

There is probably others.. but like I said.. I toasted my defaults a while ago :).

For the copy.. is that in the debian side?? You would run:

cp -rp /media/mmc1/path/to/home/user /home/user

Just make sure that the current maemo /home/user isn't mounted over the top of the source (IE: If the source is Debian's Home.. umount debians home first.. umount /debian/home/user)

Lost me after 'For the copy'. Debian resides somewhere in mmc1 as a large .ext file. The copy file I called Digiworld Folder and I copied and pasted a few days ago all the files in user directory from file manager.
I hope this helps explain. I'm keeping the mouse.

dan
2008-08-19, 20:03
The order of the user files are as follows Audio clips, Documents, Games, Images, instal-tools, QTODO, Video clips.

fatalsaint
2008-08-19, 20:13
You would do those commands from xterm.. not from Chroot - although it wouldn't really matter as long as you were the user "user" and not root in the debian chroot (because he mounts the home drive over /home). But yeah.. simple: use xterm.

Make those directories by hand.

When I said "for the copy" it was a bit out of place.. sorry.. I had submitted my original and then saw your post about how to copy the backups over.. so INSTEAD of manually recreating the directories in the first half.. if you know the FULL PATH to the backup directory in /media/mmc1 .. you would run that copy command from xterm, as user. If you don't know the full path.. try:

find /media/mmc1 -iname Digiworld*

If that outputs a path for you then copy/paste that path into the cp -pr command.

dan
2008-08-19, 20:31
Good news. As soon as I followed your 'mkdir' instructions I got back my original folders. Do I now delete the duplicate ones I made.They don't have the icons the original ones have. Guys thanks for all your help.

fatalsaint
2008-08-19, 20:33
Im confused? What duplicates? Running the mkdir commands should only create one folder.. and File Manager should use it as it's own folder.. you shouldn't have duplicates unless the name isn't quite right.

Also now that you have them bakc and showing in the File Manager.. you could probably go copy your backup files over to their right directories in file manager.

dan
2008-08-19, 20:43
Now should I try this again?? :)
I really want to get QTSTalker running.

Dan:

I noticed you ran qtstalker as root. That's almost always a bad idea. I still suspect that your permissions are causing you grief.

From the [root@Debian] prompt, do this:

rm -r /home/user/.qtstalker
hilda qtstalker

This should delete your qtstalker settings and force the program to re-create them. And since you're running qtstalker as user now (notice the "hilda" in there? Don't forget it!) your permissions should be correct.

If it doesn't run still, post your terminal output...

fatalsaint
2008-08-19, 20:48
lol I like your spirit dan.

You may want to check if it even exists.. you did just clean out your entire home directory lol.

ls -la /home/user | grep qtstalker

If it exists see if it says root root or user user next to it.

If it exists and is root.. delete it.. if it exists and is user.. its fine.. if it doesn't exists.. it's fine.

dan
2008-08-19, 20:56
I copied all the backup file into my file manager user folders thanks for all your help. I really don't want to start the Deblet with KDE v4 until I find a way to make a mirror backup of mmc2 including Diablo, dual boot, maemo, kde. I want to help you guys test out Debian apps and such.

qole
2008-08-19, 20:57
Whew, that was quite the exciting saga! Just make sure NOT to run qtstalker WITHOUT the hilda in front...

fatalsaint
2008-08-19, 20:59
I loaded KDE4 again last night for giggles (and because I ported more debs)..

It really does run like crap :lol:.

KDE4 should be in the non-existent thread entitled "Debian apps that run like trash on the Tablets". I went through the settings.. i couldn't find a single thing to turn off to make it speedier. I mean.. it's "usable"; in a rather loose and patient use of the word; definitely not recommended when there are speedier alternatives.

dan
2008-08-19, 21:05
Is this good or bad??

BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-05-22 10:32:35 EEST) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/home/user # ls -la /home/user | grep qtstalker
drwxr-xr-x 3 user users 4096 Aug 19 15:01 .qtstalker
/home/user #

fatalsaint
2008-08-19, 21:06
looks fine to me.

ls -la /home/user/.qtstalker

Should produce a bunch of files that have the same beginning.. the important part being the "user users" section in the middle.

dan
2008-08-19, 21:12
How does this look to you??

/home/user # ls -la /home/user/.qtstalker
drwxr-xr-x 3 user users 4096 Aug 19 15:01 .
drwxr-x--- 22 user users 4096 Aug 19 16:23 ..
drwxr-xr-x 11 user users 4096 Aug 19 15:46 data0
/home/user #

fatalsaint
2008-08-19, 21:16
It looks like it's not a permissions problem.
Unfortunately I know nothing about the program and so I can't really troubleshoot.. if it runs and you can configure it then I find it strange it won't open what you need..

run it as user from the terminal.. (using hilda or debbie).. and then try and open one of your files.. see if the terminal outputs any errors or failures..

dan
2008-08-19, 21:20
Now to redo my custom menus.
Has anyone figured out where the ooo-gulls.png file resides?? I need it so that I can place the icons on Debian apps in my custom menu. They all have the same dumb icon as open office. :(
That was fun!! Thanks for all your help Fatalsaint, Qole and BrentDC.
And remember when you see a . after a / DOOONNNNN""""TTTTTT leave a space. I don't know why but if you do you will end up with a beautiful mouse pointer on all your hildon screens BBUUTTT and I mean BBBUUUTTTT you won't have a working home directory, dual boot, etc.. Hehehehehe. LOL, Dn

qole
2008-08-19, 21:31
So I tried qtstalker, and when I try downloading quotes from Yahoo, I'm getting a whole bunch of "Bad Date" errors, with goofy years. There's something wacky going on there. This might be something to ask the qtstalker people (http://qtstalker.sourceforge.net/index.html) about... I really don't know my way around qtstalker at all. But I don't get any of the errors you posted, so I think those were related to permissions.

dan
2008-08-19, 21:45
I got those bad dates too. So I just deleted the the first numeber on the dates. It says it downloads the data alright. I'm wondering if we are missing a lib or another app that helps. It looks like a great app. Online they rave about how you can customise the searches for data in realtime. This is a dream come true for me if I could get realtime quotes with a set of data I setup on an N800 no less!! Trades spend tens of thousands of dollars for equipment and software to do what this amazing little app can do. This is what Trolltech is bring to the table. They also did the KDE stuff!! This why I want to learn Debian, QT and linux so I can fully use the great video/audio player but a full blown computer with aircrack capabilities, transmission, rss reader, gps, etc... and hopefully soon a 3g phone with hdmi port, projector, worm hole creator, laser munition, camera with thermal infared night vision and a microwave for cooking on my hikes, least I forget run by hydrogen/soler array nano batteries. hehehehe.

qole
2008-08-19, 21:47
Screenshot of my QTStalker errors:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2779494740_644ce6c4a2_o.png (http://www.flickr.com/photos/qole2/2779494740/)

EDIT: I'm betting that there's a problem in the date format between the Yahoo service and the QTStalker Yahoo downloader. The frustrating thing is there seems to be no way to modify that.

EDIT2: Looks like we're not the only ones (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-382207.html) having this problem...

Looks like Yahoo have changed the data web address. I think the only way to fix this is download from CVS and compile the latest version.

dan
2008-08-19, 22:10
When you go into Yahoo menu just select quote that will give you correct dates. Then you will see it downloads the files correctly. Athough the left side of the screen the files look blank. This is a really powerful financial tool. Need to get it working. TIA

edit: I see.

dan
2008-08-19, 22:34
I see. Well this guy just recomplied in June of this year. Can you look and see if it could be used in our Easy Debian repository??
http://www.zwets.com/debs/

fatalsaint
2008-08-19, 22:35
I could prolly try a recompile for ARMEL when I get home.. go throw the link in my request for apps thread so it doesn't get lost.

dan
2008-08-19, 23:25
Thanks Fatalsaint. I put on your recompile thread.

qole
2008-08-19, 23:43
Another update!

QTParted seems to do what GParted cannot: It can resize fat32 partitions!

I'm trying it out on my 160GB USB HDD right now; I'm shrinking the fat32 partition to 133 GB and adding a 16 GB ext3 partition.

EDIT:
QTParted is great. It seems much more polished than GParted; it doesn't need a list of devices (it detects them all) and it has better info.

Here's a screenshot post-successful-repartition!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2779867436_31f8a50c63_o.png (http://www.flickr.com/photos/qole2/2779867436)

EDIT2: It doesn't seem to handle the SD cards very well, however. It shows every partition as a separate device. I wonder if that's an artifact of the chroot mounting process? Hmm.

BrentDC
2008-08-20, 00:57
Now to redo my custom menus.
Has anyone figured out where the ooo-gulls.png file resides?? I need it so that I can place the icons on Debian apps in my custom menu. They all have the same dumb icon as open office. :(

This is actually more complicated than you'd think.

ooo-gulls.png is located in "/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/"

You want to place your icons there, too, with a size of 64x64. Once you do that, you'll want to link to it in your .desktop, but you don't need to use the entire patth, just it's name (I think?). Then you want to run this command in the terminal as root:

gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/

It should now work, tell me how it goes.

BrentDC
2008-08-20, 03:15
Thanks BrentDC for fielding the questions; people seem to listen to you more than to me, for some reason. I guess I'm not spelling things out clearly enough...

Hey, no problem.

You know as Debian becomes more and more popular, it will become a support nightmare; there seems to ba a lot of little tricks to know.

You should probably create a PDF doc of all about what exactly debian is, what your chroot scripts do, where deban is mounted, how the [root@debian] prompt works, how to create application menu items, how to use Synaptic to manage installed programs, different commands to launch apps (hilda, etc.), warnings to be careful not to run out of room, not run apps as root, advanced user section on how to create and install debian on an ext partition, where the chroot scripts are stored, tips & tricks, great applications, etc. You know, just something to start with :rolleyes: And what would be cool, would be if during installation of Easy-Debian, copying this file to the users ~/.documents/ directory.

qole
2008-08-20, 04:37
yeaahh... I'll be glad to proof-read your attempt :D

I would be glad to help build a Debian wiki entry over at maemo.org, but it really is an immense amount of work to do that sort of stuff. It seems to me that this whole thing is advanced enough that someone can do some searching (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=005981223421171304650%3Awt9tjwf2kd4) to find the info they need, or ask their questions in this forum.

My opening post on Easy Debian is right at the edge of the size limit as it is...

dan
2008-08-20, 05:13
Guys I don't know if this is a first or what but my crash earlier produced an unbelievable event that I think is laying dormant in the Nxx's. Remember how I mentioned earlier that I had a mouse pointer. Well I connected a bluetooth mouse and it not only worked(it didn't before only wireless mouses, but I have right click in Hildon, KDE, and all of the apps in Easy Debian!!!! I'm finding menus in Debian I did not see before. QTStalker lite up with menus everywhere. I'm trying to do screenshots but I can't find where loadapplet is now sending my screenshot same for IceWM. Anyone care to tell me how I can fix this.
Hey I want to help with debian. As you can see I'm great at testing destructively wrong ways to go about doing commands and I never panic when hell breaks lose. Hehehehe. Seriously I want to help. Don't know anything about apps or code but I like doing crazy stuff. I work insane hours but in my freetime I can contribute. Thanks for all your help today. let's find this hidden mouse feature that Nokia has buried in its darkest code chamber.

qole
2008-08-20, 05:46
Dan, did you have any of the mouse-related packages installed on your tablet?
What you're suggesting is that something in the /home/user directory (which you nuked) is suppressing mouse-related behaviors. That's weird!

dan
2008-08-20, 06:25
I had no mouse related stuff. I reflashed about a week ago and reformatted my sdhc cards. I nuked everything not just the directory. Web, hildon, etc... only thing that was not hit was Easy Debian and that's because I had it on mmc1. Everything on mmc2 was nuked even dual boot. That's why I'm thinking Nokia has full mouse functions surpressed. Mouse is fantastic especially now on hildon main screen and in Debian screen and all apps.

dan
2008-08-20, 06:50
BrentDc the actual size was 48x48 but it still doesn't work. :( Now I have even uglier small square boxes. Any ideas? It is the right path. I'm also getting in xterm when I type emelfm2 I get the following message, ' /home/user/.osso/current-gtk-key-theme:1: Unable to find include file: "keybindings.rc" ' Any ideas. I might just uninstall emelfm2 and reinstall but I don't know if that will create more problems. TIA

BrentDC
2008-08-20, 15:28
BrentDc the actual size was 48x48 but it still doesn't work. :( Now I have even uglier small square boxes. Any ideas? It is the right path. I'm also getting in xterm when I type emelfm2 I get the following message, ' /home/user/.osso/current-gtk-key-theme:1: Unable to find include file: "keybindings.rc" ' Any ideas. I might just uninstall emelfm2 and reinstall but I don't know if that will create more problems. TIA

I think that has something to do with you blowing up /home/user/...Maybe that's why the icons aren't working?

dan
2008-08-20, 17:12
BrentDc If I go and put ooo-gulls.png on any app in that folder it changes icon to ooo-gulls.png and if I change it back it to its original .png it goes back. Any ideas?
TIA

BrentDC
2008-08-20, 17:32
BrentDc If I go and put ooo-gulls.png on any app in that folder it changes icon to ooo-gulls.png and if I change it back it to its original .png it goes back. Any ideas?
TIA

I don't understand what it is you're saying.

What I did is:

Placed an 64x64 icon called 'gnome.png' in '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/'.

Edited my gnome.desktop file to look like this (notice the Icon=gnome line).

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=GNOME
GenericName=GNOME
Exec=/usr/bin/hostwin GNOME 'sudo debian xpgnome'
Icon=gnome
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
Terminal=true
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true

Then ran:

gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/

Result:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BrentDC2/screenshot05-1.png

dan
2008-08-20, 17:49
Thanks. I was putting the .png like the ooo-gulls had. My menus look great now. Many thanks.

BrentDC
2008-08-21, 03:18
Bringing this thread back on-topic (gasp!), Audacity seems to work well, which is cool.

Also, what is a good music player for debian? There seem to be a lot of options.

@dan:

I installed GMPC and it loads fine. I don't have any music servers (or whatever that program is used for...), so I couldn't test anything, but it seemed ok to me.

dan
2008-08-21, 03:59
BrentDC thanks. Yes I too can load GMPC but don't know how to test. What would I need to test?

Emelfm2 for Debian packaged by Fatalsaint is better than maemo version. great job Fatalsaint!

BrentDC
2008-08-21, 18:19
BrentDC thanks. Yes I too can load GMPC but don't know how to test. What would I need to test?

I have no idea. I don't know anything about gmpc...

Emelfm2 for Debian packaged by Fatalsaint is better than maemo version. great job Fatalsaint!

Yes, thanks fatalsaint!

BTW, I just installed Inkscape....let's put it this way: It makes OpenOffice look like Numpty-Physics in terms of tablet friendliness :rolleyes:

qole
2008-08-21, 18:51
... So Inkscape actually de-activates the touchscreen, and all functionality must be accessed only through right-click? :eek:

fatalsaint
2008-08-21, 19:04
Another candidate for the non-existant thread:
"Debian Applications the run like CRAP on the Tablet"

dan
2008-08-21, 19:20
Thanks to Fatalsaint's porting of new repositry we now have QTStalker running smoothly and fast on Nxx's. I would put this app up there with Emelfm2 in ease of use and power. Use a mouse it has a lot of features that come into play. QTStalker is for stock analysis BTW. :)
Anyone know how to fix a broken icon cache? It broke after I did an icon update with' gtk-update-icon-cache -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ ' :(

Benson
2008-08-21, 22:05
You need mpd, available for maemo, or you could run it on another system (with speakers) and control it over the network. I use mpd with (Maemo) Sonata & (chroot) gmpc for most music playing.

dan
2008-08-21, 22:23
You need mpd, available for maemo, or you could run it on another system (with speakers) and control it over the network. I use mpd with (Maemo) Sonata & (chroot) gmpc for most music playing.

Thanks Benson. So if I understand you correctly we need to add mpd and Sonata to maemo and then open gmpc in chroot. How do we configure gmpc to see mpd and Sonata? This is really exciting because GMPC looks really powerful. I'm a newbie to all these music apps. TIA

qole
2008-08-21, 22:38
Sonata, like gmpc, is another client for the mpd server. Just get mpd installed.

Benson
2008-08-21, 23:11
No, no, no... I was unclear.

mpd (Music Player Daemon) is (oddly enough ;)) a daemon that plays music. And listens for TCP connections with instructions. You'll need that in Maemo. (You could undoubtedly get the Debian mpd working instead, but that's pain for no real benefit.)

The most rudimentary frontend (not counting netcat or telnet, which are actually usable) is mpc, a commandline client that comes with it, and whose only virtue is scriptability. Between this and some custom stuff implemented with netcat, I've got a suite of commands suitable for use with powerlaunch for basic control of mpd with the hardware keys while the screen is locked. I don't have powerlaunch installed at the moment, but I used this while walking back and forth to class a lot. With the semester starting next week, I'll be getting it back together. You still need one of the other ones for convenient playlist management, though, and also for non-pocketed playback control.

Sonata is one frontend that can connect to mpd, get status, and give commands. While you can install, and even run, it and gmpc simultaneously without harm, neither requires or knows of the other. I use this one a lot.

Gmpc (GNOME Music Player Client) is also a frontend, with overall similar characteristics; the only thing it does that Sonata doesn't (that I know of) is hanging out in the system tray -- which is good, as far as it goes, but the rest of the UI is somewhat worse for me. I'm using this less since there's a Sonata build.

Another mpd frontend for Maemo is mmpc (Maemo Music Player Client), which is tablet-adapted fork of gmpc; UI somewhat modelled after built-in media player. It works, but it's less capable of advanced playlist-related functionality, and while it handles portrait mode gracefully, the buttons-on-the-left design eats too much screen space for my liking.

There's also a handful of other mpd clients in Debian. See http://packages.debian.org/sid/mpd-client (mpd-client is a virtual package provided by 11 packages, anyway; don't know if they're all built for armel.)

For specifics:
You'll want to install mpd (and mpc) from this repo:Catalog name: Austin Che
Web address: http://austinche.name/maemo/packages/
Distribution: chinook/
Components:
(I'm not sure about that trailing /, but that's what I've got.)
Sonata is in extras, and (of course) gmpc is in the Debian repo.

Once you've got the mpd installed, you may need to edit /etc/mpd.conf (make sure of the outputs (you want libao), music/playlist directories (default is sane, and maybe symlink to SD cards in there), and volume control (software for me, but it's a matter of taste.)) and /etc/libao.conf (default_driver=esd), and run /etc/init.d/mpd start-create-db. Then mpd will be running, and will start on each boot.

The clients default to the correct port, so they'll connect fairly easily. For Sonata, it's in Edit -> Preferences, and you can add multiple profiles; maybe one for the tablet and one for your stereo/home theater PC. You'll want Host: localhost, and Port: 6600, which are the defaults anyway. Use one of the graphical clients to browse the filesystem tree and add files, then you can play with them or mpc. (For thew record, it's possible to add files and everything through mpc, but it's awkward and pointless for most purposes.)

dan
2008-08-22, 01:00
I've got mpd and Sonata in maemo but I have not been able to access. What command brings up mpd? Any ideas?
I've a lot to learn but I really want to have a robust music center. Eventually I would like to control my music/home theater . I bought a Mac mini for home theater with mythtv eventually running ui. And hopefully I can use N800 as remote and to stream my content at home and when I travel. It would be sweet if gmpc/mpd can get me started. TIA

dan
2008-08-22, 01:07
Need help with installing qtparted in chroot. I got following errors. Those were the same errors I got when I installed gparted through Synaptic manager. Hal shows its loaded in Synaptic manager same others apps listed in errors. Can someone help fix this so I
can get qtparted loaded and working? I'm liking more and more the qt apps. They load fast are small, powerful and you can open multiple windows/features without crashing system.
Well here are the error messages. TIA

chroot set up already!
[root@Debian: /]apt-get install qtparted
Building dependency tree
qtparted is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
python-uno libdb4.3
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 200 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up hal (0.5.11-2) ...
dpkg: error processing hal (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnome-device-manager:
gnome-device-manager depends on hal; however:
Package hal is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gnome-device-manager (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gparted:
gparted depends on hal; however:
Package hal is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gparted (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
hal
gnome-device-manager
gparted
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Benson
2008-08-22, 02:05
I've got mpd and Sonata in maemo but I have not been able to access. What command brings up mpd? Any ideas?
I've a lot to learn but I really want to have a robust music center. Eventually I would like to control my music/home theater . I bought a Mac mini for home theater with mythtv eventually running ui. And hopefully I can use N800 as remote and to stream my content at home and when I travel. It would be sweet if gmpc/mpd can get me started. TIA

mpd is started by (as root) /etc/init.d/mpd start
To check if it's running, you canps -e | grep mpd(Don't need root for that.)

qole
2008-08-22, 05:07
dan, you're getting the "hal error".

I had to hack hal to get it to install (put "exit 0" as the first line of /var/lib/dpkg/info/hal.preinst and /var/lib/dpkg/info/hal.postinst then run "apt-get -f install" to finish getting everything installed)...

And a slightly modified* second quote to expand on my instructions:

It is
/debian/var/lib/dpkg/info/hal.preinst and
/debian/var/lib/dpkg/info/hal.postinst (from the chroot)

Also, "put "exit 0"" => the file should be:

#!/bin/sh
exit 0
set -e

etc.

*(I made his questions into statements)

dan
2008-08-22, 05:33
Thanks Benson.
How do you stop mpd? :)
I'm so new to this.
How do I put my play list into mpd or gmpc?
It looks like mpd is done through command line. Am I right?
How do I configure or install plugin??
I need to read up, but all the sites I visit are too technical, anyways I learn best by trial and error(mainly error). :)
This looks very powerful!
TIA

Edit: My very first line command that I figured out on my own!!!!!! /etc/init.d/mpd stop

P.S. Is there a UI or GUI or somekind of window for mpd? If not can one be built?

dan
2008-08-22, 06:02
Thanks Qole.
Before I go Nuking my N800 again. :) Let me see if I get what I'm supposed to do here.
I see the following in hal.preinst

#!/bin/sh

set -e

rm_conffile() {

I'm supposed to change to this?

#!/bin/sh
exit 0
set -e

etc.

rm_conffile() {

TIA

Edit: Got it done! I'm on a roll tonight. Now to finish installing QTParted

dan
2008-08-22, 06:33
Success.
Thanks Qole!

dan
2008-08-22, 07:24
Ok new problem. At least I'm making these Debian threads hummm. :)
In chroot I typed 'qtparted'.
QTParted loaded as you can see above, BUT when I try to load qtparted into a hildon menu entering ' cp /usr/share/applications/hildon/ooo.destop /usr/share/applications/hildon/qtparted.desktop '
I get the following error ' No such file or directory ' .
Now I went back and read where you are not supposed to enter into apps in chroot ' qtparted '. Then I tried doing Qole's suggestion that got me in hot water a few days ago ' rm -r /home/user/.qtparted
hilda qtparted ' .
Well I never made it past the first line. It gave me error ' No such file or directory '
Now as long as I enter ' qtparted ' into chroot I get into qtparted, but I need to be able to enter from my custom menu. Can someone please help me get this straighten out. TIA

fatalsaint
2008-08-22, 13:13
change the command in your qtparted.desktop file:

debbie qtparted (to run it as a user.. though this is probably useless; need root to repartition things anyway)

or

debian qtparted (to run it as root.. this is more likely to give better results)

fatalsaint
2008-08-22, 13:14
And Dan... GPMC IS a fronted/gui/window whatever to MPD.. that's all Sonata, GMPC and many others are.. just "frontend's" to the mpd daemon. Mpd has no graphical implementation itself.. otherwise it wouldn't need Frontend's :D

dan
2008-08-22, 14:18
Normally in order for me setup a menu item in hildon for a debian app with an icon in my hildon menu I type in chroot the ' cp /usr/share/... ' command and then the ' vi /usr/share/applications/... ' command and the <app>.desktop command lines come up in chroot and I change the ' Exec=sudo debian hilda <app> ' and I can then put an icon in ' /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/<app>.desktop ' . Can't do that this time because no qtparted.desktop file exists to change the icon in the ' hicolor/scaleable/apps/ ' area. There is a ' qtparted.desktop ' file in ' /debian/usr/share/applications/ '. I tried changing the ' Exec= ' to ' Exec=sudo debian hilda qtparted ' and Exec=debbie qtparted ' but it doesn't work. I don't understand it.
Could it be the errror message I get in xterm when I type emelfm2 that is causing this problem? TIA

/home/user # emelfm2
/home/user/.osso/current-gtk-key-theme:1: Unable to find include file: "keybindings.rc"
bad string content

fatalsaint
2008-08-22, 14:26
Im confused.. are you running these in Maemo or in Chroot (debian)???

For the desktop you want to cp the ooo.desktop in Maemo.. not in a debian chroot.. the Maemo menu knows nothing about the .desktop icones inside the debian chroot (/debian/).. so the path you posted "/debian/usr/share/applications/" has nothing to do with the Maemo menu items..

You want to run the cp /usr/share/applications/hildon/ooo.desktop /usr/share/applications/hildon/qtdesktop.desktop from inside NORMAL XTERM in maemo.. not inside the Debian Chroot.. Debian chroot doesn't have; nor does it care; about a hildon subdirectory.

Also.. might modify your post to only showing the first error and say the same thing repeats 50 times.. no need for all that mess when it's the same error over and over. But if that emelfm2 was run inside debian then that means your icon cache in debian is messed up.. not in maemo - you were supposed to run the icon cache update inside maemo after adding the .png image file to right path; in maemo..

Anything to do with your maemo menu is done through Xterm in maemo.. anything to do with your debian applications would be done inside Debian Chroot..

I think you might be running commands meant for one in the other and are getting yourself more unstable by the minute...

dan
2008-08-22, 14:30
Can you or someone do me a favor and see if in ' /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ ' There is a file with the name ' icon-theme.cache ' and if there is anything in it. Mine is empty. Maybe I just need to delete this file? I do have in that path a file called ' index.theme ' and it has loads of information about icons. I'm thinking that ' icon-theme.cache ' is a bogus file ' create when I did the ' gtk ' command that BrentDC (not blaming you bro)gave me in an earlier post. Any ideas? TIA

dan
2008-08-22, 14:39
I have been going through Maemo. Just typo, :(
I rebooted and it fixed itself. Go figure. I've got to learn more and faster. Thanks.

Edit: If someone wants to go through Hildon on an app like gparted or qtparted add the following line to
' Exec=sudo debian <your app-qtparted or gparted> /dev/mmcblko /dev/mmcblk1 '. Hope this helps another lost soul in Hildon/Debian code hell. :)
Thanks guys for all your help. Anyone check that file for me? TIA

fatalsaint
2008-08-22, 14:39
I assume you mean in Debian?? Then yes.. I have a lot of folders inside there in debian.

And maemo for that matter.. I just checked both.. they both have a lot of folders and a icon-theme.cache.

Again the command BrentDC gave you, IIRC, was meant to be run inside Maemo - not inside Debian... it was meant to update your Maemo icon cache so that the desktop file will know the name of your graphic for the menu item.

dan
2008-08-22, 15:00
QTParted looks as powerful as Emelfm2. I wonder if I can make a mirror copy of my mmc2 sdhc card with the partitions, files, apps, etc... This would be the holy grail for me. :)
Thanks Fatalsaint. I have been going through Hildon xterm for BrentDC command. I'm wondering if something is wrong with my custom icons? Where can I get Icons for each of these apps?? Any good source? TIA

dan
2008-08-22, 15:36
Fatalsaint would the following command fix my gtk problem in above post??
' gtk-update-icon-cache -f -t /usr/share/icons/hicolor '
TIA

fatalsaint
2008-08-22, 15:39
It's possible.. though I am not sure what that -t is for... and isn't that the same command Brent had you run?

BrentDC
2008-08-22, 16:06
dan, I don't know why the gtk-update-icon-cache command would screw up things...I run it all the time :confused:

Here are the options for it:

~ $ gtk-update-icon-cache --help
Usage:
gtk-update-icon-cache [OPTION...] ICONPATH

Help Options:
-?, --help Show help options

Application Options:
-f, --force Overwrite an existing cache, even if uptodate
-t, --ignore-theme-index Don't check for the existence of index.theme
-i, --index-only Don't include image data in the cache
-c, --source=NAME Output a C header file
-q, --quiet Turn off verbose output

As you can see, there are not a lot of options...

The only thing I can think of is that one of your new icons you added didn't agree with GTK, and it corrupted your cache. See, index.theme defines where your icons are, and icon-theme.cache is all your icons contained in one file. It is not human-readable, and that is why nothing shows up in a text editor. You can try removing the last few icons you made then re-running the update-cache command and see if things get back to normal.

Edit: Oh btw, don't mess with index.theme; one time I was editing it to add a new icon path and somehow it just evaporated. The only way I could fix it was by recloning.

dan
2008-08-22, 16:07
I got that command from this website. I'm trying to fix my own problems. Since I create sooo many.
http://trac.autopackage.org/ticket/39
Don't know what ' -t ' is for. Thought you or someoe here might have run across it.
TIA

fatalsaint
2008-08-22, 16:10
THe man page I looked up online didn't have the -t... Brent just showed the output from CLI.. Must have been a different version I was looking at.

So I supposed if it skips checking the existence for theme.index then using -t is what you are supposed to do to create a new index theme cache...

So why use it for just doing an update?

dan
2008-08-22, 16:10
Edit: Thanks BrentDC. I was going to try that as a last resort. :(
Do you know where I can download good Debian icons for my hildon menu? TIA

BrentDC
2008-08-22, 16:16
THe man page I looked up online didn't have the -t... Brent just showed the output from CLI.. Must have been a different version I was looking at.

So I supposed if it skips checking the existence for theme.index then using -t is what you are supposed to do to create a new index theme cache...

So why use it for just doing an update?

it seems to me -f and -t basically accomplish the same thing...

dan
2008-08-22, 16:17
Fatalsaint. I don't know the answer to your question because I don't even understand what I'm reading let along doing. :( I just want to resolve this error and put icons that work and look better than a circle with two birds on all my apps in Hildon menu. LOL

dan
2008-08-22, 16:20
Anymore good QT apps I can load into Easy Debian? I really like the QT apps they are small and robust. Can't wait for TrollTech to start loading us up with them and slick versions of KDE. :)

BrentDC
2008-08-22, 16:20
Edit: Thanks BrentDC. I was going to try that as a last resort. :(
Do you know where I can download good Debian icons for my hildon menu? TIA

I usually use Google Image Search -> "<whatever> logo". I wouldn't consider it a great way to do it, though.

fatalsaint
2008-08-22, 16:30
Anymore good QT apps I can load into Easy Debian? I really like the QT apps they are small and robust. Can't wait for TrollTech to start loading us up with them and slick versions of KDE. :)

Well if you wanted to start moving away from GTK to QT you could use things like Kopete instead of Pidgin, ksIrc instead of XChat, Amarok, Dragon Player or Juk for Audio, Scribus for Desktop Publishing...

http://trolltech.com/company/customers/coolapps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_KDE_applications

However.. KDE itself is actually one of the bigger, bulkier desktops. IMHO a little more-so than Gnome.. but I have no benchmarks for that.

dan
2008-08-22, 16:54
I don't want to move away I just want more choices. :) Thanks to you, Qole, PB and many others the Nxx's has more choices than any other portable device. And best of all its configurable to what the user wants not what some dictator at a large company wants. I must have 5 different media players on the maemo side. It really helps because each one plays video/audio better in different formats.

dan
2008-08-22, 16:58
Fatalsaint you should not have posted those QT website apps. When can you start making debs I want them all. LOL :) Especially 3d modelling, seismic, etc... Those are not in Maemo or Debian so it would be fun to have them on Nxx's. Any other off the wall website that we can port apps from?

fatalsaint
2008-08-22, 17:20
The 3d apps you will have problems with.. OpenGL does not run on our tablets.. and MESA is god awful slow..

So 3d Modelling is not likely.

dan
2008-08-22, 20:57
Fatalsaint is this a safe command to do on flash side in xterm. The reason I ask is my battery image disappears occasionally and the bars don't go up when charging. Will iy knock out my mouse?
TIA
Edit: fsck -fy /dev/mmcblk0p2

fatalsaint
2008-08-22, 21:05
Is what a safe command to do in Flash?? The icon cache thing??? I dunno?? should be... then again it shouldn't have trashed your cache the last time so I can't say anything with certainty...

Benson
2008-08-22, 21:17
Those issues are related to the icon cache; I don't think the cursors are. You picked up the mouse cursors by nuking ~/.icons/xcursor-transparent, and you won't put that back with gtk-update-icon-cache.

As for safety, it shouldn't be able to trash anything but your icon cache, and it shouldn't even trash that. Which is nice in theory. :/

Edit: Just saw your edit. I normally run fsck with -p and see if it errors; of course, if it does I still wind up doing the practical equivalent of -y, since I don't know ext2fs well enough to even contemplate a manual recovery. But strictly, no, -y is not safe.

fatalsaint
2008-08-22, 21:20
Oh.. Saw your edit.. yes - that will not hide your mouse again. That is simply a filesystem check.. at worst it'll find so many errors that all your apps will break :D.. but this is highly unlikely if you've been using it without problems. But I also don't think it's going to fix that battery icon problem you explained..

Nice job Benson - Now I can get my cursor on Maemo :D.. we didn't know what he trashed when he rm -r'd his entire /home/user directory that brought that mouse icon back.

BrentDC
2008-08-22, 21:26
I just did a bit of Google'ing and 99% of the icon cache errors were caused by a bad .png file; this supports my idea of what the problem is in post #191. I would try getting rid (i.e. moving somewhere else) any recent icon editions you've made and running gtk-update-icon-cache again and see if that doesn't fix your problem.

dan
2008-08-22, 21:28
OK fixed icon message mess by just deleting all the .png icons I had put in and using th gtk... command above. Now I just have one more message to clean up.
' /home/user/.osso/current-gtk-key-theme:1: Unable to find include file: "keybindings.rc" ' Any ideas what that is? At least I don't have scrolling errors anymore. :)
What did Benson say about mouse cursor on Maemo? Didn't understand. If I lose I want to bring back. :) TIA

fatalsaint
2008-08-22, 21:30
There is apparantly a file:

~/.icons/xcursor-transparent

That turns the cursor off (makes it transparent). If you delete that file (which you did) the cursor comes back.

dan
2008-08-22, 21:30
BrentDC how come you don't have a 'Thanks' button?
I did what you said earlier and solved problem. Funny the icons are all there still. Maybe when I reboot they will disappear. :(

Benson
2008-08-22, 21:33
OK, that error means that there used to be a keybindings.rc in your home directory somewhere.

As for the mouse cursor; you've always had one. Before, you just couldn't see it. Because some people think not having a cursor makes loads of sense on a touchscreen, the cursor theme is completely transparent. If you remove the cursor theme (rm -r ~/.icons/xcursor-transparent, carefully avoiding a space after the initial / ;)), it has to fall back on the built-in default theme.

That was part of the early DIY round of USB and BT mouse support; I'm not sure what Rob's script does now, but it doesn't wholesale delete it, as it restores the cursor to invisibility after the mouse is disconnected.

Edit: about Thanks! buttons, they don't show up in the AJAX-added forum posts. Reload the page from the server and they'll be there. (And Fatal, it's a directory, not a file; same idea.)

dan
2008-08-22, 21:35
Benson why is my battery icon disappearing when I put charge on? What did I nuke this time and how do I fix?

What does this do and will it nuke more things? Just trying to understand these commands.

fsck -fy /dev/mmcblk0p2

dan
2008-08-22, 21:42
Benson then is it possible to make a theme with Thememaker to have my menus transparent so that my icons float in front of my background image. I just want the three menus on the left side of screen when I open them to show my apps icons floating in a clear box with white line borders. Like Munky261 transparent icons. Off the subject but you seem to know icons and such. TIA

dan
2008-08-22, 21:44
Benson how do I get the keybindings.rc back in my home directory? TIA

dan
2008-08-22, 21:46
OK Benson I understand the mouse curser but why do I now have mouse functions in Debian? I thought Easy Debian didn't have mouse support. Confused?

Benson
2008-08-22, 21:49
Battery icon also comes from the icon cache; it has (somehow) procured and cached a blank icon in lieu of the battery charging icons. Using gtk-update-icon-cache in some way, and possibly rebooting (or just restarting hildon-desktop) should fix it.

fsck checks a filesystem by determining the type and calling fsck.$TYPE, e.g. fsck.ext2 for e[23]fs.
-f says force a check, even if the file system looks to have been taken care of.

-y says to answer yes to all questions; this makes it do its best effort at repairing things, but it may lead to avoidable data loss if there are problems with the filesystem. (That is, a filesystem guru manually recovering the filesystem may be able to recover all the data (and make the filesystem valid), but fsck's best guess, while it actually restores validity, does so by trashing some of the data.)

-p will fix all the things that are not quite right, but have an unambiguous (hence safe) remedy, so this is better for automatic scripts that need to run unattended than -y; you can detect failure and fire off an email to the sysadmin's pager instead of taking a chance on toasting data.

Of course, if there are no errors in your filesystem that would fail -p, -y won't hurt anything, and if there are, you probably don't have the skills to do any better than -y; it's just not correct to call it "safe". At least if you run -p first, and it tells you it ran into trouble, you can enjoy hours of trepidation before hitting return on -y. :D

Benson
2008-08-22, 22:04
Benson then is it possible to make a theme with Thememaker to have my menus transparent so that my icons float in front of my background image. I just want the three menus on the left side of screen when I open them to show my apps icons floating in a clear box with white line borders. Like Munky261 transparent icons. Off the subject but you seem to know icons and such. TIA
Not really knowledgable at all except where I've run into them before. No clue on that, but it seems unlikely. Generally, solid colors are unlikely to be transparentable, while things that are .pngs are more likely.

For the keybindings.rc; grab a copy from someone who hasn't nuked their home directory, and drop it in ~/.osso/. (You could extract it from a fiasco image, but don't worry; I'll upload it in a minute.)

As for the mouse working, I have to admit to being a little confused as well.

Tryps -e |grep evrouter
ps -e |grep mouse_poll
All I can think is you've got mouse support installed already, or we've been snuck a pretty dandy update in our SSU. I'm hoping for the latter.

dan
2008-08-22, 22:17
oh your good. :) trepidation I lack, hence all these nukes. :)
What about transparent menu? Any ideas? :)
Anyone have any other cools apps for Debian I should add?

Benson
2008-08-22, 22:20
Not really knowledgable at all except where I've run into them before. No clue on that, but it seems unlikely. Generally, solid colors are unlikely to be transparentable, while things that are .pngs are more likely.
Where the 'that' that I'm clueless on is transparenting the menus.

dan
2008-08-22, 22:21
I think they snuck it in for a future release. I remember Jolouis saying that he could not find it in OS2008 this was way before Diablo. I'lll give him a call next week. He would probably be able figure it out. Thanks for all your help.

dan
2008-08-22, 23:00
Benson any luck finding the keybindings.rc? TIA

BrentDC
2008-08-22, 23:10
dan, you boot from mmc, right? What I would do is boot back into flash, then tar up my /home/user/ dir and put it on an expansion card. Then when your system complains about needing stuff, add missing said file back?

dan
2008-08-22, 23:57
BrentDC, I boot from mmc. I don't understand what tar is. I'm a newbie at this command line. If someone has posted the file I need I don't see it. Thanks for your help the past few days.

Benson
2008-08-23, 00:07
Ummm.... yeah. I forgot about that.

Look for an attachment in ~3 minutes. (I'm bumping the thread here, then I'll attach it from my N800.)

dan
2008-08-23, 02:05
I understand I need to put this file in the osso... but do I need to unpack first or what?
Can you provide instructions. TIA

fatalsaint
2008-08-23, 02:12
yes u would...

gunzip keybindings.rc.gz

it will produce keybindings.rc which u put in the forementioned location...

dan
2008-08-23, 06:19
Thanks Benson, Fatalsaint and BrentDC for helping me fix all the icon problems.

I just updated my application manager and there are a bunch of demos and stuff for QT4. My hunch was right. I think we are going to be treated to whole bunch of custom QT apps including I hope KDEv4 just for our tablets. :)

dan
2008-08-24, 00:11
Qole can you help me figure out what is wrong in this install of Alsa-base, etc... I followed your instructions to the letter in earlier post on this thread. I have two issues as follows :
1.) I keep getting the dreaded ' out of space on devise ' I have several gb's of space. I've checked online and it seems pretty common for Debian install but no solution for N800. Any workaround you know of? I've done apt-get autoclean, apt-get clean all, apt-get clean, and gtkorphan to remove orphan packages.
2.) When I type in alsa-utils start I get, ' Invalid command! done. (see below)

[root@Debian: /]apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils libasound2-plugins alsa-oss
Building dependency tree
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
python-uno libdb4.3
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
libasyncns0 libpulse0 libsamplerate0
linux-sound-base lsof
Suggested packages:
apmd pulseaudio
The following NEW packages will be installed:
alsa-base alsa-oss alsa-utils libasound2-plugins
libasyncns0 libpulse0 libsamplerate0
linux-sound-base lsof
0 upgraded, 9 newly installed, 0 to remove and 200 not upgraded.
Need to get 3339kB of archives.

/usr/bin/mandb: can't write to /var/cache/man/1692: No space left on device

(goes on for a page so I deleted )

Setting up libpulse0 (0.9.10-2) ...
Setting up libsamplerate0 (0.1.4-1) ...
Setting up libasound2-plugins (1.0.16-1+b1) ...
Processing triggers for menu ...

It seems to have load though, then when I do the following I get:

[root@Debian: /]tar xzvf /home/user/MyDocs/alsa-files.tar.gz
usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
etc/asound.conf
[root@Debian: /]/etc/init.d/alsa-utils start
Setting up Alsa...amixer: Invalid command! done.

Then I figured what the heck, it seems to have loaded why not try to get in. :)

[root@Debian: /]alsa
Usage: /usr/sbin/alsa {unload|reload|force-unload|force-reload|suspend|resume}
[root@Debian: /]alsa resume
[root@Debian: /]alsa reload
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() jffs2 file system /mnt/initfs
Output information may be incomplete.
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() proc file system /mnt/initfs/proc
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() sysfs file system /mnt/initfs/sys
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() tmpfs file system /mnt/initfs/tmp
/usr/sbin/alsa: Warning: Processes using sound devices: 913(multimediad) 1387(mpd).
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules:.
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: (none to reload).[root@Debian: /]alsa unload
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() jffs2 file system /mnt/initfs
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() proc file system /mnt/initfs/proc
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() sysfs file system /mnt/initfs/sys
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() tmpfs file system /mnt/initfs/tmp
/usr/sbin/alsa: Warning: Processes using sound devices: 913(multimediad) 1387(mpd).
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules:.
[root@Debian: /]alsa load
Usage: /usr/sbin/alsa {unload|reload|force-unload|force-reload|suspend|resume}
[root@Debian: /]alsa resume

Can you walk me through this. I seem to be in (or not, dunno???)

P.S. I have no idea what I'm doing(as usual) :)

TIA

qole
2008-08-24, 03:34
Are you sure you have a few GB of space free?

at your Debian prompt, type

df -h

and look for the one that just has a "/" under "Mounted on" ... it should be the first line. What's your available space?

I'm also thinking you might need to do a "fsck.ext2" on your Debian partition.

dan
2008-08-24, 03:47
I have Debian on mmc1 and the card shows I have 3.5gb still free.
Here is result of ' df -h '

[root@Debian: /]df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
sysfs 1008M 999M 0 100% /sys

Yikes! But I have 3.5gb available on that card. Please explain? TIA

qole
2008-08-24, 04:00
I don't want the one that says /sys I want the one that just has /

Maybe post the entire output of df -h

dan
2008-08-24, 04:21
That's it. Nothing else came on screen after I typed ' df -h '.

dan
2008-08-24, 16:04
At my xterm prompt I get more info then my Debian prompt.. Don't know why? Idea is there a file with Debian that I can go in and increase the size of Debian file? TIA

/home/user # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 4.0M 2.2M 1.8M 54% /mnt/initfs
none 2.0M 104.0k 1.9M 5% /mnt/initfs/tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p2 20.3G 1.4G 17.9G 7% /
none 2.0M 104.0k 1.9M 5% /tmp
none 1.0M 68.0k 956.0k 7% /dev
tmpfs 1.0M 0 1.0M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1 8.8G 32.0k 8.8G 0% /media/mmc2
/dev/mmcblk1p1 15.3G 12.2G 3.1G 80% /media/mmc1
/dev/loop0 1007.9M 998.3M 0 100% /debian
none 1.0M 68.0k 956.0k 7% /debian/dev
none 2.0M 104.0k 1.9M 5% /debian/tmp
/dev/mmcblk1p1 15.3G 12.2G 3.1G 80% /debian/media/mmc1
/dev/mmcblk0p1 8.8G 32.0k 8.8G 0% /debian/media/mmc2
/dev/mmcblk0p2 20.3G 1.4G 17.9G 7% /debian/media/usb
/dev/mmcblk0p2 20.3G 1.4G 17.9G 7% /debian/home/user
none 2.0M 104.0k 1.9M 5% /debian/var/run/dbus
/home/user #

fatalsaint
2008-08-24, 18:09
what the hell?

/dev/loop0 1007.9M 998.3M 0 100% /debian

something is very wrong with your chroot setup...that is the debian root...

are you using the image file?? thats what that looks like to me..and the root drive is indeed full.

Modify your /home/user/.chroot if you want to use a partition or clean out some space inside your image....somewhere around here some explained how to resize the image file as well with resize2fs.

dan
2008-08-24, 20:10
Fatalsaint, in both xterm and chroot says, ' no file or directory ' when I type ' /home/user/.chroot ' . I always get the message at startup of chroot,
' Setting up the chroot...
using device: /media/mmc1/debian.img.ext2
insmod: cannot insert '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/mbcache.ko': File exists (-1): File exists
Using ext2 file system
insmod: cannot insert '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/ext2.ko': File exists (-1): File exists
[root@Debian: / '
then after I put in xterm the following command , ' mount -o bind /var/run/dbus/ /debian/var/run/dbus/ ' when I go restart chroot no error just the chroot prompt. Don't understand any of this but Debian and chroot always work well. It's adding apps to Debian that's impossible. TIA

qole
2008-08-24, 21:13
The .chroot file is in your home directory, and if, perchance, you were to nuke your home directory, the .chroot file would be lost, along with any custom settings for your Debian chroot...

fatalsaint
2008-08-24, 22:12
Ohhh.. YEAH.. I suppose he WOULD be having issues if you, by chance, nuked your home directory.. lol.

here dan:

IMGFILE=/dev/mmcblk1p2
IMGFS=ext3
CHROOT=/debian
TMPSIZE=5M
DEBUSER=user

Put that into /home/user/.chroot and modify the IMGFILE to be your partition obviously.

BrentDC
2008-08-24, 22:18
Fatalsaint, in both xterm and chroot says, ' no file or directory ' when I type ' /home/user/.chroot ' . I always get the message at startup of chroot,
' Setting up the chroot...
using device: /media/mmc1/debian.img.ext2
insmod: cannot insert '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/mbcache.ko': File exists (-1): File exists
Using ext2 file system
insmod: cannot insert '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/ext2.ko': File exists (-1): File exists
[root@Debian: / '
then after I put in xterm the following command , ' mount -o bind /var/run/dbus/ /debian/var/run/dbus/ ' when I go restart chroot no error just the chroot prompt. Don't understand any of this but Debian and chroot always work well.

The errors are normal. You only get the errors the first time you run the chroot after a reboot, so that is why the second and any subsequent times you run it you don't get errors.

dan
2008-08-25, 00:05
fatalsaint, thanks

A little confused about where to put the following. I don't have a ' /home/user/.chroot ' file. Do I do the following in chroot or xterm? Also, why is ' TMPSIZE ' so small(5M)? Just trying to understand what is going on. It is amazing how my system still works with all the nuking I've done. :)

IMGFILE=/dev/mmcblk1p2
IMGFS=ext3
CHROOT=/debian
TMPSIZE=5M
DEBUSER=user

P.S. How can I add several gb's to the ' /.chroot ' file so I have plenty of space to add more apps.

dan
2008-08-25, 00:10
BrentDC thanks.
How can I add the following command to GParted so I don't have to do it in xterm everytime I want to load GParted after a reboot? I'm tired of having to do that command everytime I want to use GParted after a reboot. I don't have to do that command for QTParted. TIA

' mount -o bind /var/run/dbus/ /debian/var/run/dbus/ '

fatalsaint
2008-08-25, 00:17
Dan you are thinking too much into this.

I know you dont have a .chroot file...create one and add that to it. The TMP size has nothing to do with the size of the root...dont change it.

Just modify the variable for IMGFILE to be the partition u have debian/deblet/whatever on. Hae u always used an img file or did you setup an easy debian partition?

If youve never changed anything ..ever.. then u use he image file and you are full. Only way to fix that is to resize the image file. If you downloaded and extracted qole's rootfs to a partition then thats what u use for the chroot file.

BrentDC
2008-08-25, 00:42
BrentDC thanks.
How can I add the following command to GParted so I don't have to do it in xterm everytime I want to load GParted after a reboot? I'm tired of having to do that command everytime I want to use GParted after a reboot. I don't have to do that command for QTParted. TIA

' mount -o bind /var/run/dbus/ /debian/var/run/dbus/ '

I would think that you might be able to add that line to "/sbin/debian", but ask qole before doing that. You also could probably write a script that does that mount command and launches gparted, but I have no idea how to script on linux. (I've got to learn how...).

fatalsaint
2008-08-25, 01:15
cat > /usr/sbin/sgparted << EOF
#!/bin/sh
debian gparted
EOF
chmod +x /usr/bin/sgparted

then just run sgparted.

That should be done in maemo..

dan
2008-08-25, 04:20
Fatalsaint, thanks.
Here's what I get following code.
Please explain what I'm doing wrong. I'm glad I discovered all this before starting Deblet.

/home/user # cat > /usr/sbin/sgparted << EOF
> #!/bin/sh
> mount -o bind /var/run/dbus/ /debian/var/run/dbus/> debian gparted
> EOF
/home/user # chmod +x /usr/bin/sgparted
chmod: /usr/bin/sgparted: No such file or directory
/home/user #

dan
2008-08-25, 04:43
Fatalsaint, thanks.
OK made a file called ' .chroot ' and put it in ' /home/user/ ' then I put in the info ' IMGFILE=/dev/mmcblk1p2 ' , etc... Now I'm unclear how to modify the IMGFILE to be my partition? Very confused. Can you explain in more detail. TIA

here dan:

Put that into /home/user/.chroot and modify the IMGFILE to be your partition obviously.[/QUOTE]

P.S. I don't want to create a partition in my mmc1 because then I can't use that card in my camera, mac, etc... I just want to increase size of .debian image file. TIA

fatalsaint
2008-08-25, 05:31
Ok that first command I missed a s.. it should be:

chmod +x /usr/sbin/sgparted

Not /usr/bin/sgparted.

And for the second half.. if you want to increase the size of the image file you need to use the resize2fs command. I don't have it off the top of my head but do a search for debian resize2fs and the post you are looking for is one of qole's two threads on Easy Debian. Explains how to resize it. If you go much over 1.5GB you might run into problems though and toast your whole image.. I did a 2048MB file and wasn't able to recover.. had to start over. So be careful and make backups. However you will not be needing that .chroot file if you want to use the image.. that's useless. You'll need that file when you use deblet however.

dan
2008-08-25, 11:12
Fatalsaint,
The chmod doesn't seem to work when I try to start gparted from my hildon menu. I use to have in ' /usr/share/applications/hildon/gparted a file called gparted.desktop ' with ' Exec=sudo debian hildon gparted /dev/mmcblk0 /dev/mmcblk1 ' and that worked from hildon menu, after putting the ' mount -o bind, etc... ' after a reboot I only had to do it once and it got be backup with gparted showing all partitions but the ' chmod change doesn't load gparted. There seems to be a conflict. Any ideas?

Also why is there a limit on image size? Qole any ideas? If I put in a partition I can't easily remove card and make a backup of Debian image or Deblet and can't use card for other purposes. I'm trying to keep backups on a regular basis so if I crash I can be backup quickly. If I had a backup for mmc2 I would not still be struggling with home/desktop/ nuke issues from last week. I'm trying to get away from this isanity of having to start from scratch everytime I nuck system. I read daily someone having to spend hours reloading everything. I'm too busy to do that. I need a quick and reliable backup that works everytime. So far the Debian image backup setup I've had does this flawlessly for Debian side of things. I hope you understand why I want to keep this setup and expand to mmc2 and dual boot and kde, etc... the backup method. I've tried Emelfm2 and qtparted and gparted for backups but none of them seem to be able to do backup. TIA

fatalsaint
2008-08-25, 14:14
When you create an image file you have to tell it specifically how large it is.. and Filesystems have harder times (especially DOS) with single files that are huge than thousands of smaller files. As an example.. DOS cannot handle files that are larger than 2GB.. at all. And since the image file is a single file; it cannot be more than 2GB in size. But I tried 2048 on an ext3 and it still corrupted on me.

Using an image file is not the best way to go.. And it only comes from qole with 1GB of space.. of which more than half is covered just by the OS.. and the default app's that come with it. So in order to get more you have to make that single file larger.

It's a much better idea to use partitions.. but even with partitions you have to tell it a specific size - and if you go over that size you have to resize the partition; and again risk losing data.

You only get as much space as you allot for the filesystem..

Ok.. modify the /usr/sbin/sgparted to look like:

#!/bin/sh
debian hildon gparted /dev/mmcblk0 /dev/mmcblk1

Although it's odd that you can run that as a user and still be able to resize/move things. Then change your gparted.desktop file to have:

Exec=sudo /usr/sbin/sgparted

Your other option (and probably a better one since it will only mount once) is to modify /usr/sbin/debian script and find where it mounts the home, dev, and tmp directories and add a line that mounts the dbus around there. Then when you run debian for the first time and it sets everything up it will include mounting that dbus directory.. and every subsequent run it will know it's already setup and not mount it again.

Using this hack with my little script here will mount that dbus every time you run it.. which gets ugly when you run df -h and see 100 copies of the same mount.

qole
2008-08-25, 15:55
So, anyway, anybody know of any Debian Apps That Run Well On The Tablets?

EDIT: Yes, feel free to add the dbus line to your /sbin/debian script. My next version will have that. Something like:

mount -o bind /var/run/dbus/ "$CHROOT/var/run/dbus/"

fatalsaint
2008-08-25, 15:59
SimDock is working ok :).

Need to change your pointer with xmodmap to get a middle click to move the dock around to where you want it.. but other than that it's decent so far. Transparency on it messes with some wallpapers.

Its a Mac-Like Dock that doesn't require any 3d extensions.