PDA

View Full Version : Battery almost empty after 5 hours with locked N810

vinc17
2008-07-09, 15:12
As usual, my N810 charged during the night and I took it in the morning; it was fully charged. But after about 5 hours, when I took my N810 out of my pocket, it was quite hot and the battery was almost empty! This is surprising as I didn't have any problem the previous days. The CPU indicator was saying the N810 was idle. I only had two open applications:

X Terminal (with no running jobs in it). This is not the first time (I use X Terminal very often). So, I doubt this is the problem.
Notes (perhaps the first time I let it open under diablo).

Also, no wifi, no bluetooth. Any idea? Could there be a problem with some software taking CPU time only when the tablet is locked?

Bundyo
2008-07-09, 15:13
Modest likes to eat CPUs for breakfast...

Naah, with no network probably something else.

GeneralAntilles
2008-07-09, 15:18
I'm going to call it a corrupt internal card!

But seriously, this has been covered a thousand and one times already. Please use the search first. :)

vinc17
2008-07-09, 15:52
I don't use Modest (I read e-mail only via ssh). Concerning a possibly corrupt internal card, I've search for "corrupt" in the FAQ, and got... nothing! How can I check whether it is corrupt? I haven't got any error message and things like that, and I haven't found any error in dmesg output, and nothing during these 5 hours:

[726568.250000] EAC mode: play enabled, rec enabled
[726570.875000] EAC mode: play disabled, rec disabled
[726602.132812] DSP Pausing failed, skipping OP change!
[726607.804687] slide (GPIO 110) is now closed
[726609.875000] kb_lock (GPIO 102) is now closed
[726610.218750] kb_lock (GPIO 102) is now open
[745790.140625] slide (GPIO 110) is now open

GeneralAntilles
2008-07-09, 15:58
I've search for "corrupt" in the FAQ, and got... nothing!

Er, FAQ?

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/03/do-you-use-built-in-memory-card-on-n810.html

lcuk
2008-07-09, 16:04
I get this on occasion - sit with it charging whilst messing on the computer of an evening, then disconnect and goto bed - i disconnect wifi everynight because i *know* thats a problem with me personally.

Random mornings I have woken up and its dead.

There is a process running amock and eating CPU for breakfast, its not being killed by the watchdogs or anything.
And its not a corrupt card issue because it would be a problem all the time.

I've attempted to run top in the past and log output but it doesnt seem too good for the purpose (it could be a low but constant cpu munching, or not cpu at all, maybe wifi chip or BT chip or gps internals or something).

My best guess would be an application run earlier in the evening didnt cleanup and close everything expected which caused the drain.

Further investigation would require the oprofile kernel flags to be set (or built and flashed) and actually monitor whats happening overnight.

Lots of work though for a random rare (but annoying) occurrence.

zehjotkah
2008-07-09, 16:05
same here, flashed diablo, set up modest ->battery drain
reflashed diablo without setting up modest ->battery drain
reflashed chinook ->all is fine again

chinook vs. diablo

diablo:
pros
agps, fingertap vs. stylustap recognition, update without flashing
cons
only a half-day battery (n810)

chinook:
pros
two days battery, for me better microb rendering (itt for example)
cons
all diablo pros

vinc17
2008-07-09, 16:07
Er, FAQ?
I looked at http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/faq.php

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/03/do-you-use-built-in-memory-card-on-n810.html
I repartitioned my internal 2-GB card in March. This cannot be this problem.

vinc17
2008-07-09, 16:15
same here, flashed diablo, set up modest ->battery drain
reflashed diablo without setting up modest ->battery drain
reflashed chinook ->all is fine again
I now remember having an almost-emptied battery a few days ago (also after a few hours during the day), and I thought this was my fault. Now, it's probably the same problem. And except once when I started a wifi connection and let it on, I've never had any such problem with chinook.

GeneralAntilles
2008-07-09, 16:16
I looked at http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/faq.php

Uh, the fact that it only contains stuff for BBCode didn't give you a hint? :\

By searching I meant Google. . . .

I repartitioned my internal 2-GB card in March. This cannot be this problem.

There have been about a half-dozen threads (and more here, several posted just hours before your own :/) on maemo-users that cover pretty much everything you've ever wanted to know about Maemo battery consumption. Might be worth your while to browse through some of them.

This (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=maemo;do=search_results;search_forum=f orum_2;search_string=battery%20life;search_type=AN D&sb=post_time) should get you started.

. . . and this (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2417481) is the search you should've performed before posting this thread. ;)

vinc17
2008-07-09, 16:19
BTW, is it normal that Xomap took so much time?

CPU[||||| 12.2%] Tasks: 86 total, 1 running
Mem[||||||||||||||||||||||70/123MB] Load average: 0.00 0.00 0.00
Swp[ 0/0MB] Uptime: 8 days, 16:46:20

PID USER PRI NI VIRT RES SHR S CPU% MEM% TIME+ Command
812 root 14 -1 13132 9304 1768 S 0.0 3.2 25:26.99 /usr/bin/Xomap -mo

vinc17
2008-07-09, 16:32
Uh, the fact that it only contains stuff for BBCode didn't give you a hint? :\
I thought it was hidden somewhere. Why not removing this page?

This (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=maemo;do=search_results;search_forum=f orum_2;search_string=battery%20life;search_type=AN D&sb=post_time) should get you started.

. . . and this (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2417481) is the search you should've performed before posting this thread. ;)
I did search, but didn't find anything about my particular problem. Note that yesterday, I had no battery problem, with the same installed software and with the same configuration.

There are too many threads. Problems should really by summarized somewhere.

Benson
2008-07-09, 16:37
Why remove that page? Just because it's not relevant to certain problems does not make it useless... it has, for example, information on how to search the forums. Which could be useful to newbies.

GeneralAntilles
2008-07-09, 16:37
I thought it was hidden somewhere. Why not removing this page?

That's Reggie's domain.

There are too many threads. Problems should really by summarized somewhere.

Perfect candidate for a wiki page (https://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?title=Battery_life&action=edit)!

omegaone37
2008-07-09, 16:51
Oh my... the ITT Police are at it again...

Give it a rest GA!

Benson
2008-07-09, 17:15
That's itT Police, sir. And I'm gonna have to write you up for insulting an officer of the forum. :rolleyes:

lcuk
2008-07-09, 17:46
itT:rolleyes:

Actually Benson since you are making a point of highlighting it, I believe it should be itT (not italic).

:p the signal to noise on this thread has gone downhill, blame GA! :D

zehjotkah
2008-07-09, 20:22
sorry guys.. but are you incapable of helping someone without making some stupid comments???
btt please!
i've flashed back to chinook because the battery drain under diablo was too bad for me. but i think thats a problem which will be fixed by nokia soon.

Benson
2008-07-09, 20:24
sorry guys.. but are you incapable of helping someone without making some stupid comments???
If you don't like the comments, you can get a full refund.
btt please!
i've flashed back to chinook because the battery drain under diablo was too bad for me. but i think thats a problem which will be fixed by nokia soon.I don't think it's a problem Nokia can fix; I think it's not a problem with Diablo.

GeneralAntilles
2008-07-09, 20:24

Yes, very. You're welcome to take it or leave it. It's no skin off my back. :)

geneven
2008-07-09, 20:38
I clicked on that link and got:

vBulletin Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

vinc17
2008-07-09, 22:47
Perfect candidate for a wiki page (https://wiki.maemo.org/index.php?title=Battery_life&action=edit)!

Unfortunately, as I don't know what the source of my problem is (I think I can eliminate corrupted memory card and processes that reproducibly take CPU time), I can't add any information for the moment. FYI, the charger cable has been unplugged for 6 hours (the N810 was also most of the time in my pocket), and the battery is still full.

So, it could be a problem in diablo or in one of the applets that occurs from time to time. Or could it be the heat?

bunanson
2008-07-09, 22:53
Einstein: E=mc(square)

I think heat is a form of energy. It happens to me on a couple of occasion. The tablet gets warm and the next thing, battery is gone.
And yes, it is a N810. And yes, it is pre-diablo. I have no squirt idea what is going on, it seems it is rare enough, as someone put in, I just move on.

bun

vinc17
2008-07-09, 23:07
I think heat is a form of energy. It happens to me on a couple of occasion. The tablet gets warm and the next thing, battery is gone.
Could be the problem here.

And yes, it is a N810. And yes, it is pre-diablo.
I didn't have any problem with chinook, but diablo came with the heat. It may not be a good idea to keep the N810 in one's pocket in a very warm room.

zehjotkah
2008-07-10, 05:49
so ignorant... but you are right... just make a usefull comment or leave it. is it so difficult for you?

btt: i don't think that the problem is the general heat in a room or in the pocket, because the n810 itself gets warm like if it is runnig a resojrce-hungry program (video for example).
if you don't think that it is a problem with diablo, what think you then that it is?
for me the problem was away with flashing chinook back

Seb Per
2008-07-10, 06:06
problem appeared when I installed Diablo. But after a few battery cycles, it seems to have gone away so far. Could it be that this is a learning process to adjust consumption?
I am cautious however to switch wifi off ( BT always off, it s draining power like crazy), shut down all applications for the night. So this also can explain the disappearance of the problem.
By the way, same problem occured after Chinook plus huge problems in finding my wifi base. It improved with time too...

Sorenzo
2008-07-10, 06:22
Hey vinc17, try to recreate your swap file. I had this once that the swap file got corrupted and used a lot of battery power.

1.Disable swap in the settings menu
2.Delete the swap file manually
3.Create a new swap file via the settings menu

Mabye this fix the issue for you as well. Do you have a spare battery to double check if maybe the battery(hardware) is damaged?

Bundyo
2008-07-10, 07:13
Another thing - how do you stop your network connections? Offline mode?

vinc17
2008-07-10, 08:36
Hey vinc17, try to recreate your swap file. I had this once that the swap file got corrupted and used a lot of battery power.

1.Disable swap in the settings menu
2.Delete the swap file manually
3.Create a new swap file via the settings menu

Mabye this fix the issue for you as well.
I don't use swap at all (and I've never used swap). So, this cannot be the problem.

Do you have a spare battery to double check if maybe the battery(hardware) is damaged?
No spare battery. But I don't think this comes from the battery, unless it got hot by itself for no reason.

vinc17
2008-07-10, 08:45
Another thing - how do you stop your network connections?
Yes, as I've said in my initial post, no wifi, no bluetooth. More precisely, bluetooth is permanently disabled. Concerning the wifi, I disconnected in the morning (otherwise, it disconnects by itself when I leave home). I could check when I came back that it did not reconnect automatically (in case of a bug, because automatic connection is disabled).

Offline mode?
No offline mode. I just locked the touch screen and keys. Except when I had this battery problem twice, this is sufficient: the battery remains full after several hours.

Bundyo
2008-07-10, 08:49
If you're not in offline mode, wifi still scans for networks.

lcuk
2008-07-10, 08:52
vinc17,

Sounds like the way I use it.

It smells like an application getting stuck processing in the background - or a similar situation involving hardware - maybe when things are being closed its having an issue?

lcuk
2008-07-10, 08:55
Bundyo,
why on earth should it?
My 810 is set to not connect automatically and only scans wifi when I bring up the network connection dialog.

When disconnected on a normal day I wake up and battery is still full.
On bad days I wake up and its completely powered off.

My actions are no different on each day.

vinc17
2008-07-10, 08:57
If you're not in offline mode, wifi still scans for networks.
Is this new in diablo? I never switch to offline mode, and I've never had any problem when using chinook. Most of the time, no-offline-mode seems also to be OK with diablo.

Bundyo
2008-07-10, 09:03
Naah, it shouldn't if you disabled the automatic connect.

I'm always switching to offline, since i like auto connect and don't want to choose the network i want to connect unless i have to. Still some desktop plugins like the RSS reader and omWeather would try to connect overnight (when i didn't switch to offline before) and drain my battery. So at the end i resorted to offline mode to shut everything off completely.

Also in Diablo hildon-application-manager checks every day for new updates... possible culprit too.

lardman
2008-07-10, 09:06
Do you charge the device every day?

Perhaps on normal days the battery has a real full charge, but on abnormal days the battery charge is lower (but still enough for the battery icon to think it's full - God only knows what goes on in that Nokia battery charger ;) ).

Might be worth waking the device up every 1/2 hour or so and recording the output of top - any script-writing gurus fancy that?

vinc17
2008-07-10, 09:06
It smells like an application getting stuck processing in the background - or a similar situation involving hardware - maybe when things are being closed its having an issue?
Perhaps. I didn't notice CPU activity, but the N810 was warm and if it is an application getting stuck processing in the background, this could have ended when I slided the keyboard out. If I have this problem again, I'll write a monitoring script that logs as much as possible, say every 15 minutes.

lcuk
2008-07-10, 09:14
Simon,
I left a log running for a few nights a while ago when I first encountered this problem.
But quantum effects got involved and every night I watched it the error did not occur.
(top log every 10 seconds - i even hacked a log viewer on my desktop to try and see)

I suppose from that I could say that running a top log fixed my problem! ;)
*all hail the mighty top log*

vinc17
2008-07-10, 09:15
Do you charge the device every day?
Usually permanently when I'm at home (since I use wifi here and sometimes do CPU-intensive things).

Perhaps on normal days the battery has a real full charge, but on abnormal days the battery charge is lower (but still enough for the battery icon to think it's full - God only knows what goes on in that Nokia battery charger ;) ).
This can't explain the fact that the battery was almost empty after 5 hours (I didn't use my N810 during that time). Even when I use my N810 with wifi on, the battery is still far from being empty after several hours.

Might be worth waking the device up every 1/2 hour or so and recording the output of top - any script-writing gurus fancy that?
BTW, top and ps (from busybox) don't output the time spent by processes. This is useful information. How can I get it? Note that htop provides it, but doesn't have a batch mode.

vinc17
2008-07-10, 09:21
But quantum effects got involved and every night I watched it the error did not occur.
(top log every 10 seconds - i even hacked a log viewer on my desktop to try and see)
You probably need to do that in background, e.g. to log the top output to a file every 5 minutes:

#!/bin/sh
while true
do
date
top -b -n 1
sleep 300
done > top.log

Bundyo
2008-07-10, 09:33
sysstat anyone? :)
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/

gemniii42
2008-07-10, 11:47
I'm going to call it a corrupt internal card!

But seriously, this has been covered a thousand and one times already. Please use the search first. :)
As GA said -
But he might have added -
and then add to a relevant existing thread.

This helps focus the solutions in fewer threads rather than having umpteen threads named slightly different.

A simple google search on battery drain in the forums turned up 214 results. A forum search for titles with battery and 2 or more responses in the last 6 months turned up 52 separate threads.

This results in a very little signal and a lot of noise in the forums and makes it difficult to find the response you want. Frequently I will run across someones problem (like this battery drain) remember a potential solution was covered in another thread and say the heck with it because I won't take the time to search for someones solution if they don't add to an existing thread.

Not all solutions should be put in the wicki, they should be user tested first.

Anyways - to contribute to this thread:
While monitoring top also run battery status to a log.

brontide
2008-07-10, 11:58
A simple google search on battery drain in the forums turned up 214 results. A forum search for titles with battery and 2 or more responses in the last 6 months turned up 52 separate threads.

Searching google is often more effective, if you know the right incantation to make it only search iTT. While "battery" on the site search brought up 52 hits, "battery drain" brought back 1 and it's specifically related to the 800 not charging issue.

Unfortunately google can also provide a lot of useless hits as well.

I hate to say it, but it's not always obvious even for a well trained person to find the appropriate information inside iTT threads.

bunanson
2008-07-10, 12:25
so ignorant... but you are right... just make a usefull comment or leave it. is it so difficult for you?
...i don't think that the problem is the general heat in a room or in the pocket, because the n810 itself gets warm like if it is runnig a resojrce-hungry program (video for example)....

That is exactly my experience. Video watching will get it warm a bit very fast.

Please try WorldTV99 in my signature and you will see.

bun

Seb Per
2008-07-10, 12:36
I forgot to add that my battery also was hot several times when the phenomenon appeared. This is not the case any more. Something has happened.

Would it be possible that consumption rate is defined by an algorithm to "high level" until wifi signal is found and "locked in" in a efficient way? That would explain why after Chinook and Diablo, wifi detection was slow so power drain was high and everything turned back to cruise level after a while?

I m dining tonight with a senior manager of quality control in electric signal in Nokia. I will ask.

sjgadsby
2008-07-10, 12:40
Searching google is often more effective, if you know the right incantation to make it only search iTT.

That incantation is:

Go to InternetTabletTalk main page (http://www.internettablettalk.com/).
Locate the "Google Custom Search" box under the heading "Search" at the top of the right hand column.
Type likely keywords in the aforementioned search box.
Press "Enter" or tap/click the "Go" button according to your preference.

bunanson
2008-07-10, 12:46
I forgot to add that my battery also was hot several times when the phenomenon appeared. This is not the case any more. Something has happened.....

Yes. Usually when you felt the heat 'literally', it is already running amok and the heat continued to build up even the tablet is being turned OFF, or at least attempted to. It did not work and ended up with an almost empty battery, and I cannot think of anything to stop it other than taking the battery out if it happens again. To get something normal running to become warmer and warmer has to be an accelerated process, likely something that 'feed' on itself, for example, the caseyjones reaction in cocaine users. It occured twice with my N810 and it is pre-diablo. I kept my fingers crossed and so far, has not seem it for quite awhile.

bun

brontide
2008-07-10, 13:19
That incantation is:

I can't remember the last time I visited the main page, but thanks for the pointer.

allnameswereout
2008-07-10, 14:43
Intel's PowerTOP works on ARM too. If you can get it compiled (using SB), you can use it to figure out which apps use how much power (in W).

vinc17
2008-07-10, 15:18
Intel's PowerTOP works on ARM too. If you can get it compiled (using SB), you can use it to figure out which apps use how much power (in W).
For the reference, there's a thread about powertop on the N810 (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19402) (found with Google).

brontide
2008-07-10, 16:42
After digging and finding that diablo's arm kernel does not provide reliable futex commands I'm wondering if this is a kernel bug that is being tripped up in specific cases. Modest seems to be doing it in some cases, but I wonder what's causing the meltdown here?

I would ask the simple question... does the problem reoccur when you are in offline mode? I know there should be no difference, but I still keep thinking that it could be a bug in the ICD.

here is the Modest bug for reference.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3357

GeneralAntilles
2008-07-10, 16:55
Could it be that this is a learning process to adjust consumption?

No, these batteries don't work like that. (single-stack lion, not multi-stack like a laptop battery)

caped
2008-07-10, 17:08
As usual, my N810 charged during the night and I took it in the morning; it was fully charged. But after about 5 hours, when I took my N810 out of my pocket, it was quite hot and the battery was almost empty! This is surprising as I didn't have any problem the previous days. The CPU indicator was saying the N810 was idle. I only had two open applications:

X Terminal (with no running jobs in it). This is not the first time (I use X Terminal very often). So, I doubt this is the problem.
Notes (perhaps the first time I let it open under diablo).

Also, no wifi, no bluetooth. Any idea? Could there be a problem with some software taking CPU time only when the tablet is locked?

Could be you have Wifi on search intervals.

vinc17
2008-07-10, 17:12
Could be you have Wifi on search intervals.
What do you mean?

vinc17
2008-07-11, 00:33
The battery drain problem occurred once again last evening. I had been logging system information every 15 minutes with "sar -A -u 900 8000" since the afternoon. Here's a summary of what I did:

At about 19:45, I plugged out the charger cable.
Then I used the N810 a little around 20:15, 21:55 (the N810 was warm, but the battery was full) and 22:15-22:35 (I ran a CPU-intensive task for several seconds).
At 22:35, the battery was still full.
At 01:50, the battery was almost empty (less than 20 hours when idle, less than 1 hour when in use).

The sar output shows that the N810 was constantly idle (but a very little loaded). So, my battery drain problem does not come from a task that would take much CPU time.

19:48:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
20:03:24 all 1.22 0.00 1.32 0.00 0.00 97.46
19:48:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
20:03:24 0 113 0.44 0.30 0.19
20:03:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
20:18:24 all 4.69 0.00 1.79 0.15 0.00 93.37
20:03:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
20:18:24 0 118 0.69 0.39 0.26
20:18:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
20:33:24 all 1.98 0.00 0.96 0.02 0.00 97.05
20:18:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
20:33:24 0 116 0.08 0.12 0.16
20:33:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
20:48:24 all 0.07 0.00 0.73 0.00 0.00 99.19
20:33:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
20:48:24 0 116 0.16 0.16 0.16
20:48:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
21:03:24 all 0.10 0.00 0.87 0.00 0.00 99.03
20:48:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
21:03:24 0 116 0.07 0.08 0.10
21:03:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
21:18:24 all 0.08 0.00 0.80 0.00 0.00 99.11
21:03:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
21:18:24 0 116 0.22 0.14 0.10
21:18:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
21:33:24 all 0.15 0.00 0.79 0.00 0.00 99.06
21:18:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
21:33:24 0 116 0.22 0.15 0.10
21:33:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
21:48:24 all 0.08 0.00 0.79 0.00 0.00 99.13
21:33:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
21:48:24 0 116 0.25 0.14 0.10
21:48:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
22:03:24 all 0.49 0.01 1.15 0.00 0.00 98.36
21:48:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
22:03:24 0 116 0.17 0.17 0.14
22:03:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
22:18:24 all 0.36 0.00 1.12 0.00 0.00 98.51
22:03:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
22:18:24 0 116 0.23 0.30 0.22
22:18:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
22:33:24 all 12.16 0.00 1.97 0.18 0.00 85.69
22:18:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
22:33:24 0 118 0.31 0.46 0.36
22:33:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
22:48:24 all 1.35 0.00 0.81 0.00 0.00 97.84
22:33:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
22:48:24 0 118 0.17 0.17 0.22
22:48:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
23:03:24 all 0.09 0.00 0.76 0.00 0.00 99.14
22:48:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
23:03:24 0 118 0.25 0.16 0.16
23:03:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
23:18:24 all 0.08 0.00 0.74 0.00 0.00 99.18
23:03:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
23:18:24 0 118 0.10 0.09 0.09
23:18:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
23:33:24 all 0.16 0.00 0.82 0.00 0.00 99.02
23:18:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
23:33:24 0 118 0.07 0.12 0.09
23:33:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
23:48:24 all 0.07 0.00 0.81 0.00 0.00 99.12
23:33:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
23:48:24 0 118 0.08 0.11 0.09
23:48:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
00:03:24 all 0.19 0.00 0.85 0.00 0.00 98.97
23:48:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
00:03:24 0 118 0.14 0.10 0.09
00:03:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
00:18:24 all 0.08 0.01 0.81 0.00 0.00 99.11
00:03:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
00:18:24 0 118 0.10 0.08 0.08
00:18:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
00:33:24 all 0.09 0.00 1.59 0.00 0.00 98.32
00:18:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
00:33:24 0 118 0.07 0.14 0.10
00:33:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
00:48:24 all 0.08 0.00 1.28 0.00 0.00 98.64
00:33:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
00:48:24 0 118 0.29 0.25 0.17
00:48:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
01:03:24 all 0.10 0.00 1.37 0.00 0.00 98.52
00:48:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
01:03:24 0 118 0.11 0.18 0.17
01:03:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
01:18:24 all 0.08 0.00 1.35 0.00 0.00 98.57
01:03:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
01:18:24 0 118 0.22 0.19 0.18
01:18:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
01:33:24 all 0.11 0.00 1.42 0.00 0.00 98.47
01:18:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
01:33:24 0 118 0.17 0.19 0.18
01:33:24 CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
01:48:24 all 0.08 0.00 1.35 0.00 0.00 98.57
01:33:24 runq-sz plist-sz ldavg-1 ldavg-5 ldavg-15
01:48:24 0 118 0.23 0.15 0.16

gemniii42
2008-07-11, 02:16
That incantation is:

Locate the "Google Custom Search" box under the heading "Search" at the top of the right hand column.
Type likely keywords in the aforementioned search box.
Press "Enter" or tap/click the "Go" button according to your preference.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, I had thought my statement A simple google search on battery drain in the forums would be understood as a search such as you described. :)

I constantly overestimate the audience.

Seb Per
2008-07-11, 05:47
ok this is what my friend in Nokia R&D said. No guarantees that 1) he knows exactly what is going on - he s not in N810 specifically 2) I did understand and deliver exactly what he said :-)

He mentioned a few leads:

- As General Antilles said, the battery is single stack so there is no adjustment of power consumption. However there are algorithms to optimize relationship between physical memory, consumption, and performance
- Introducing a new OS causes disruptures in the way the packages are installed because - according to him- the physical memory is not "blank". This can generate a "chaotic" usage of power until things get optimized.
- in stand by mode ( no application running, screen dimmed off) there are still a few things running. Did not say what.
- processor activity, Wifi and BT are the main causes of power drain.
- the battery time indicator in the status bar is not 100% reliable.
- he did not like the "heating up" symptom. Suggests a bug in the new OS that could/should be fixed by an update.

My n810 had again a seizure last evening. a few days in stand-by mode evaporated suddenly in a few hours. Found it in "coma", charged it up . Now showing 10 days, 7 hours.

Bundyo
2008-07-11, 07:30
@vinc: Isn't the interval between sar gathering data too big?

lardman
2008-07-11, 08:05
Xterm is a known timer offender (i.e. dyntick won't be able to slow the tick speed) - there was a way of fixing this, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. Anyone?

twaelti
2008-07-11, 10:49
I have the same issue as the original poster. Since I upgraded to Diablo, battery usage has become inacceptable (but then I'm used to that from my N82....grrrrrrr!). Might be because I backuped/restored before/after the upgrade, and got into lots of troubles with the Application Manager being unable to resolve things, so something might be screwed up.

Will reflash to Chinook and report back, but there IS an issue.

vinc17
2008-07-11, 10:50
@vinc: Isn't the interval between sar gathering data too big?
I don't think so: there's the load average on 15 minutes.

Xterm is a known timer offender (i.e. dyntick won't be able to slow the tick speed) - there was a way of fixing this, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. Anyone?
Xterm itself or the shell that runs in it? Note also that Xterm is generally open on my N810 and it usually doesn't make the battery drain.

Also, I've noticed that when I took my N810 away (at about 19:45), the number of context switches per second became much larger:

$ bzgrep -A1 cswch/s sar.out.bz2 | grep -v 'cs\|--'
15:03:23 43.37
15:18:24 73.32
15:33:24 44.73
15:48:24 96.13
16:03:24 43.16
16:18:24 75.86
16:33:24 53.13
16:48:24 40.93
17:03:24 45.56
17:18:24 75.04
17:33:24 115.85
17:48:24 55.92
18:03:24 53.16
18:18:24 75.50
18:33:24 41.73
18:48:24 39.74
19:03:24 43.09
19:18:24 50.01
19:33:24 39.50
19:48:24 127.23
20:03:24 467.05
20:18:24 593.56
20:33:24 402.17
20:48:24 349.61
21:03:24 371.54
21:18:24 370.51
21:33:24 367.58
21:48:24 356.47
22:03:24 456.97
22:18:24 445.43
22:33:24 460.53
22:48:24 350.02
23:03:24 335.38
23:18:24 334.98
23:33:24 335.45
23:48:24 334.65
00:03:24 335.13
00:18:24 334.56
00:33:24 567.83
00:48:24 513.36
01:03:24 616.60
01:18:24 641.06
01:33:24 605.34
01:48:24 577.53

I recall that at 22:35, the battery was still full (if the battery status is reliable, at least a little).

twaelti
2008-07-11, 10:53
Searching google is often more effective, if you know the right incantation to make it only search iTT. While "battery" on the site search brought up 52 hits, "battery drain" brought back 1 and it's specifically related to the 800 not charging issue.

Unfortunately google can also provide a lot of useless hits as well.

I hate to say it, but it's not always obvious even for a well trained person to find the appropriate information inside iTT threads.

That's why I keep "advertising" tabletSearch, a Google Custom Search Engine specifically for searches in our beloved "maemo universe":

Plugin for your tablet (http://tomch.com/wp/?page_id=63)
Website (http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=014783630360138230012%3A5hwd9yj0uno)

You WILL find the relevant information :D

vinc17
2008-07-11, 11:08
A possible cause of the problem: I've noticed that after locking the device, if the screen is still on and I press one of the two keys on the left, the message "Move ... to unlock" appears and the screen remains on. So, if one of these keys was pressed when I put the N810 in my pocket, the screen could remain on for quite a long time. This could explain why the problem occurs infrequently (for me). Now, I didn't have any such problem with chinook. Has anything like that changed between chinook and diablo?

allnameswereout
2008-07-14, 00:02
Is it possible you recharged your device a lot while the battery wasn't completely empty? AFAIK this quickly lowers the capacity of the Li-Ion battery.

What about GPS? Are you using this?

allnameswereout
2008-07-14, 00:03
A possible cause of the problem: I've noticed that after locking the device, if the screen is still on and I press one of the two keys on the left, the message "Move ... to unlock" appears and the screen remains on. So, if one of these keys was pressed when I put the N810 in my pocket, the screen could remain on for quite a long time. This could explain why the problem occurs infrequently (for me). Now, I didn't have any such problem with chinook. Has anything like that changed between chinook and diablo?

Hmmm... are you using an application like autolock?

vinc17
2008-07-15, 00:10
Is it possible you recharged your device a lot while the battery wasn't completely empty?
Yes, quite often, to have a full battery most of the time.

AFAIK this quickly lowers the capacity of the Li-Ion battery.
I've heard that, but experience shows that this doesn't seem to be true. Anyway, my battery is still very good: I used my N810 quite a lot (including music playing with mplayer) in the train a few hours ago, and after 4 hours, the battery was half-charged.

What about GPS? Are you using this?
No, GPS wasn't used.

Hmmm... are you using an application like autolock?
I used it for a few days three months ago, but as it was turning the screen on too often, I no longer use it.

n9mjg
2008-07-15, 00:42
Is it possible you recharged your device a lot while the battery wasn't completely empty? AFAIK this quickly lowers the capacity of the Li-Ion battery.

Recharging early was a problem for NiCad batteries, but it doesn't effect Li-Ion batteries (at least not noticeably). What I would be more worried about would be overcharging. Perhaps someone who know more about the design of the charging circuit in the N800/N810 could chime in on this one?

hordeman
2008-07-15, 00:57
I have this issue with my n800. I ordered a new battery to see if having an old battery was the cause.

vinc17
2008-07-15, 00:57
Recharging early was a problem for NiCad batteries, but it doesn't effect Li-Ion batteries (at least not noticeably). What I would be more worried about would be overcharging.
With the N810, charging automatically stops after some time.

hordeman
2008-07-25, 23:42
I have this issue with my n800. I ordered a new battery to see if having an old battery was the cause.

So, to update, I ordered a new battery from accessorypost, and it seems to be performing much better. I can maybe get about 3-4 hours of usage, but if I turn off wifi and lock the screen, it can go about 3 days without recharging.

vinc17
2008-07-29, 15:26
I have been on holidays for about two weeks and didn't have any battery problem there, even though wifi was sometimes on (and I was usually charging my N810 only during the night): at the end of the day, the battery was still almost full. Now, I came back from holidays, and after several hours in my lab, with wifi disabled, the battery was almost completely empty (while it was full in the morning)! The N810 was hot. Yesterday, the battery was half-empty, but I don't remember the conditions (I don't know if the battery drain occurred in my lab or later).

I still wonder what the cause is. I recall that I had never had such a problem with chinook. So, it could be diablo (or a configuration change due to the reflash) + something in the environment.

The temperature? The room at my lab is particularly warm. But I already had battery problems in the evening.

Also, the N810 is more often in my pocket, sometimes with keys near it (of course, the keys don't touch it, but there is a bit more pressure, and this also means that there's metal near the N810).

Notes was running, but the battery drain problem already occurred without Notes.

Karel Jansens
2008-07-29, 15:31
Pesky metalayer crawler again? I thought they'd fixed that (I disable mine out of principle).

vinc17
2008-07-29, 16:27
Pesky metalayer crawler again?
I don't see any reason why it could be the cause. And note that the load average is always around 0.

EDIT: and htop says that metalayer-crawler has taken only 3 seconds of CPU time.

deiphon
2008-07-29, 22:53
Hi forum...

Im just reporting that battery life has become under par since my upgrade to Diablo. I think a bug of some kind is to blame, although disabling wifi and all applets does extend the battery life it is way less than before...

I hope an update will be issued soon...

Snoshrk
2008-08-07, 21:18
I have just started having similar problems with my N800.

I currently keep it plugged in while at my desk at work, where I am using it as a FlashDrive running the Ceedo environment on my locked down XP box.

I have run this way without being plugged in and the battery has lasted all day, although I did plug it in when I got home.

Today I have noticed that when I have been away from my desk with the N800 in it's pouch in my pocket the battery is almost completely drained after ~1 1/2 hrs and the battery / back of the unit is noticeably warm when I take it out.

Bt & Wifi off and no use of the tablet at all, screen and touch pad locked.

Because the D-Pad etc are exposed...could constant "button" pushing be causing the battery drain?

While at my desk I tend to keep the Process List from the osso-statusbar-plugin open trying to gauge the usage of the SD card... I have not noticed anything utilizing huge amounts of CPU time.

Any help is appreciated.

N800 Diablo on mmc2,Rotate kernel, Adv Back light Plugin, OMWeather, Personal Launcher, GPE Summary.

TIA

wjg
2008-08-17, 10:01
Just wondering: Is there a way to *measure* power consumption in the N8x0? Something like the internal temperature sensor built into the device? This would at least provide a trigger (play some sound?) which could be used to actively search/run test programs when the problem occurs (which btw happens on my N810, too).

burbie
2008-09-19, 18:05
I don't think it's possible with the tablet taken alone but I developed a relatively simple DIY hardware probe for measuring the battery load in real-time. It does not require soldering work or any modifications in the tablet's internal circuitry. See an illustrated guide how to set it up with a N800 at
http://42.pl/u/10uy_Monitoring_N800_battery_load_HOWTO

take care,
/burbie

fragos
2008-09-20, 06:50
I didn't see it mentioned but putting your N810 in the supplied case and placing in your pocket repeatedly activates the display when anything is pressed against it. I had my go dry one night after a full charge. I discovered that there are some WiFi access points in my area that are far enough away that the signal fades in and out. I noticed this because of the connection lost sound and the fact my N810 is next to my bed playing additional duty as alarm clock. I've started leaving the device on but setting it offline so WiFi wouldn't wake it up and it wouldn't look every 10 minutes. It may be a coincidence but I haven't had the low battery over night problem. I could of course power down over night because the alarm still wakes the N810 up to sound off. Perhaps there are additional causes that result in this symptom. I only know what seems to work for me.

gemniii42
2008-09-20, 09:02
I didn't see it mentioned but putting your N810 in the supplied case and placing in your pocket repeatedly activates the display when anything is pressed against it.
Lock it first.

I had my go dry one night after a full charge. I discovered that there are some WiFi access points in my area that are far enough away that the signal fades in and out. I noticed this because of the connection lost sound and the fact my N810 is next to my bed playing additional duty as alarm clock. I've started leaving the device on but setting it offline so WiFi wouldn't wake it up and it wouldn't look every 10 minutes. It may be a coincidence but I haven't had the low battery over night problem. [I could of course power down over night because the alarm still wakes the N810 up to sound off. Perhaps there are additional causes that result in this symptom. I only know what seems to work for me.
Powering down and back on uses more juice than letting it sleep.

vinc17
2008-10-06, 14:56
I didn't see it mentioned but putting your N810 in the supplied case and placing in your pocket repeatedly activates the display when anything is pressed against it.
If the tablet is locked, this shouldn't happen. However I've noticed that pressing keys on the locked tablet can prevent the display from switching off: a message "Move [_*] to unlock" is displayed and the display remains on. This may be the cause of the battery drain for me, but I'd say this is unlikely (unless there's something else that occurs when one presses keys while the tablet is locked), because a key press/release would have to occur at least every two minutes.

I discovered that there are some WiFi access points in my area that are far enough away that the signal fades in and out. I noticed this because of the connection lost sound and the fact my N810 is next to my bed playing additional duty as alarm clock. I've started leaving the device on but setting it offline so WiFi wouldn't wake it up and it wouldn't look every 10 minutes.
Here if the wifi connection remains on during the night while the tablet is unplugged, the battery remains full in the morning. I could even use my N810 for several days without recharging it (no intensive use, though).

A few weeks ago, I had quite an intensive use of my N810 (wifi most of the time, use of web, terminal and Notes, display settings: 3/5), and the battery indicator had been full during 15 hours. So, this shows that my battery is still very good, and the battery only couldn't explain the drain.

Since I almost no longer put my N810 in my pocket, I no longer have any problem, except once while the tablet was in my bag (I don't know if this is related, though).

vinc17
2008-10-14, 01:51
Yesterday, I put my N810 in the pocket (of my pants), and half an hour later, I noticed that it became warm; it still had the full battery icon. So, then, I put it in my bag after locking it again. But after a few hours, it was still warm and the battery was almost empty! The load average was low as usual. Then I charged my N810 during about one hour, so that the battery icon was showing a half-full battery. I unplugged the charger and I locked the tablet again. But after a couple of hours, the battery was completely empty (no power at all).

n9mjg
2008-10-14, 13:01
I had a very similar thing happen to me. For two days after the most recent ssu my N800 did almost exactly the same thing you described. Here's what I did.

1. Even though I have metalayer-crawler disabled, I had to stop it manually after the reboot. I have no idea how it got started again, but it did (I double checked and the sym link under /etc/rc2.d starts with a K, not an S).

To stop it I ran this command:

sudo /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 stop

2. I reflashed the kernel (to restore screen rotation) using the 48 MHz patched kernel from http://outpo.st/rotate/

My battery drain problems have now disappeared. Right now, the battery icon says I have 9 days when idle and 7 hours when in use. I can once again use my N800 all day without running out of power.

I hope this helps.

vinc17
2008-10-14, 22:43
1. Even though I have metalayer-crawler disabled, I had to stop it manually after the reboot. I have no idea how it got started again, but it did (I double checked and the sym link under /etc/rc2.d starts with a K, not an S).

To stop it I ran this command:

sudo /etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 stop

I've just done a

update-rc.d -f metalayer-crawler0 remove

But I doubt metalayer-crawler0 is a problem here: it doesn't take CPU time, and even after I removed it before the latest reflash, the battery drain problem remained.

The problem occurred once again, and I've noticed that ifconfig output:

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:179815 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:179815 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:9024439 (8.6 MiB) TX bytes:9024439 (8.6 MiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1D:6E:9B:D8:F6
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:61277 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:8274 errors:9 dropped:7 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:12389065 (11.8 MiB) TX bytes:2410231 (2.2 MiB)

though wifi was off (this is the first time I look at it, so that I don't know if there is a relation). I've posted a comment about that on Bugzilla (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2602#c33).

fragos
2008-10-14, 22:58
In general my battery performance is good but I did have some problems with the N810 left on over night even though I fully charge it before retiring. I use it for an alarm clock. One night in my sleep I recall hearing multiple times but ignoring the sound the N810 makes when it drops a connection. Apparently I'm on the hairy edge of one or more open WiFi networks. When I discovered this I checked my battery level in the morning only to see a half drained battery. Since then I set communications off-line when I go to bed. I've not seen undo battery consumption over night since then.

vinc17
2008-10-14, 23:32
In general my battery performance is good but I did have some problems with the N810 left on over night even though I fully charge it before retiring. I use it for an alarm clock. One night in my sleep I recall hearing multiple times but ignoring the sound the N810 makes when it drops a connection. Apparently I'm on the hairy edge of one or more open WiFi networks. When I discovered this I checked my battery level in the morning only to see a half drained battery. Since then I set communications off-line when I go to bed. I've not seen undo battery consumption over night since then.
When the battery drained a few hours ago, I was in a movie theater where no access points are visible. Moreover I sometimes leave wifi on (on purpose) and the battery has never drained significantly in such a case.

fragos
2008-10-15, 00:45
Many symptoms can have multiple causes or aggravations. I offer my personal observations more as a stimulator of thought than an absolute solution. As a software developer I've learned that a solution to a problem frequently comes after a number of innocent suspects are considered. The process of consideration is still helpful in identifying the real culprit.

guigue
2008-10-15, 01:35
I bought an N810 with the OS2008 Version 2.2007.51-3 (I don't kown its codename but I guess is not Diablo). I have the same problem with the battery, sometimes works well (in fact I have never used it continuously 10 hours) and sometimes goes off in a couple of hours. I disabled first the bluetooth. But it did not help. Switch off / switch on seems to use more energy than just let it stand by for hours. Yesterday I disabled all led alarms. Useless. Tonight I will try with the metalayer and the wifi.

Just a couple of notes: I did never notice that the tablet was warm. And many times I left the table over my table and nobody touchs it.

Maybe is a problem with the bateries itself. Why not? Does anybody know if the same batteries are used in a different Nokia gadget?

Guigue

Traecer
2008-10-15, 02:20
Maybe is a problem with the bateries itself. Why not? Does anybody know if the same batteries are used in a different Nokia gadget?

Guigue

Yeah, the batteries in the N810 and N800 are both off-the-shelf batteries used in several Nokia devices. The N800 battery was previously used in the 7710 and several others. The N810's battery is used in several other current devices.

guigue
2008-10-16, 10:48
Yeah, the batteries in the N810 and N800 are both off-the-shelf batteries used in several Nokia devices. The N800 battery was previously used in the 7710 and several others. The N810's battery is used in several other current devices.

Thanks. And do you know if they work properly?

Guigue