PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770 "No Connections Available"

Hi-Liter
2008-07-11, 15:16
Hello I have a quesiton, my Nokia 770 every time I do search for Network connections it can show me a list and than refresh by itself and will show a messege "No connections available".. and I have to put a cap on and let it sit for coupel of minutes or Turn off and Turn on again and do a search again, and only than maybe it will show a list of available network... Why is that ??? I have the latest firmware
OS 2006 Edition version 3.2006.49-2

ericdkirk
2008-07-11, 16:18
Ok since no one has answered your other thread either I will bite.
Your 770 should not behave like this, mine will find 4 APs at work and at home will get 10+ and every time it researchs it will change out the weak ones for others(my apartments have free wifi with tons of overlaping APs) but you should get very good signal with just a few. You might look into cordless phones interfering.
Have you reflashed this 770?

To answer some other questions from you other threads
You can not install windows media player >> OS 2008 can play wma's but none of the 770's OSs can, sorry.
It is pretty hard to connect a flash stick to your tablet, easier with a n810, you have to get adapters and install usb control software, but you should just get a 8Gb card and carry the cable then you have it covered.

Hi-Liter
2008-07-11, 16:49
Oh thats how it is beacsue today I go to my main room I try searching for network it wont connect but I go to the kitchen it connects sometimes and again sometimes it connects at the mainroom also. Than I try connecting in my Room it wont connect at least very rarelly and in other masterbedroom it will connect ... I have computer in my main room and my bedroom but Not in my Masterbedroom. Also today I was outside and it had to problem finding network I am kind of lost... only couple of times I was not able to find Network connection outside but must of the times i connected it found like 14/20 it connected..

I did not flash It has origianl soft... but this morning I though of flashing to OS 2005 the first one I though taht it will work with it. But so far It connects outside but not inside my appartment.

Hi-Liter
2008-07-11, 17:15
Its just very weird that In some places of my appartment it catches network and in others it wont even though its on the same level. I have an suspicion on somekind of interference maybe from a computer or I really dont know. But for sure I dont have wireless phone at home

anfbeachparty
2008-07-15, 04:00
I had this problem too... I thought it was broken... but kept messing with it and figured out the for some odd reason.. the WIFI is not ON unless 1 profile exists. So you have to go in, and put in either the real Wireless profile or Create a Junkie dumie one. Check-it...

Go into Connection Manager
Click on tools
click on connectivity settings
click on connections
Click on New

A Wizard will come up for you to create a WIFI profile.
Click Next
Type in DUMMIE for Connection Name and select WLAN, press Next
Now it will ask if you wanna scan for WIFI... say no since we know it wont work.
The type in a summie SSID, hit next.
Then hit finish.

Now when you scan, it will find your Wifi, Make sure you add that to your connection, and THEN you can go back in and delete the DUMMIE you just made.

:-p

trishbos
2008-08-30, 15:53
I tried this and tried reflashing as well as updating to the 2008 version - nothing works! This is primarily happening in my house.

I had this problem too... I thought it was broken... but kept messing with it and figured out the for some odd reason.. the WIFI is not ON unless 1 profile exists. So you have to go in, and put in either the real Wireless profile or Create a Junkie dumie one. Check-it...

Go into Connection Manager
Click on tools
click on connectivity settings
click on connections
Click on New

A Wizard will come up for you to create a WIFI profile.
Click Next
Type in DUMMIE for Connection Name and select WLAN, press Next
Now it will ask if you wanna scan for WIFI... say no since we know it wont work.
The type in a summie SSID, hit next.
Then hit finish.

Now when you scan, it will find your Wifi, Make sure you add that to your connection, and THEN you can go back in and delete the DUMMIE you just made.

:-p

brian911
2008-10-12, 05:58
Yeah, mine's doing the same thing now too. Connects fine at school, but at home, sporatically finds connections.

gzmask
2008-10-13, 09:28
really annoying old bug. A few ways to activated the wifi but also needs luck:
1. hit the power switch once and there will a pop-up menu. chose "off-line mode", them hit it again, chose "normal mode". If you are lucky, the wifi will be activated;

2. detach the battery for a while and attach it + charging for some time, then try option 1 again couple times.

This really is just a power problem to the wifi chip so reintalling/updating OS won't help ( well it might, but just the same effect as you switch on/off the wifi so don't waste time on that)

hope this works. Usually I need to try 10 times if the machine is offline for more than a week.

bokubob
2008-10-13, 22:23
Some people seem to find a correlation between being near a 802.11n network and no networks appearing. If you have an n-capable accesspoint, you might want to enable b/g mode only and see if that works.

-Jonathan

littlestone
2008-10-16, 04:51
The problem I have is my neighbour's new router. Whenever it's on (now it's 24/7) I can't find any network. I suspect it's also the new 802.11n router. I have no choice but wait for somebody to nail down the problem and fix the driver. I suspect it's highly unlikely now. This leaves a bitter taste in my mouth as I was expecting old equipments to be functional as long as the hardware are still working. I guess I will never, ever buy anything from Nokia again.

whayong
2008-10-17, 17:39
This "bug" just happened to mine too. I had left the 770 unattended for a few months and when I finally picked it up again it started doing this. I now have "trouble" at times connecting to my AP's at home and at work. Nothing has changed in either of them, same routers, etc... Someone also mentioned "power problem." My 770 doesn't last as long in stand by these days, nowhere near 24 hours. Maybe that's related, I don't know.

buggsy2
2008-10-29, 01:03
Exactly the same problem as described here. I too had left it mostly alone for some months, only occasionally using it and not at home. It always worked fine, but at home, where it used to work with no problem, now it is quite difficult to get a connection. This is with the two versions I have installed, sorry it was so long ago I forget what is on there. I have not installed the wifi bugfix and am downloading the latest full OS that fixes that.

EDIT1: After posting the above I flashed 2008HE onto my 770 and have the same problem. Later today I'll add the MMC boot and also try at a location I know worked just a week or two ago. But I'm becoming convinced it's a problem with -n wifi signals. That seems to be the common factor with my setup and others'.

EDIT2: It connects perfectly in the location that doesn't have any -n wifi routers around.

penthes
2008-11-04, 13:29
I've had similar issues.

You might want to see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2082

Seems that it can get swamped by either presence of too many APs, or 802.11n.

I've repeatedly been able to get around the issue using the "body shielding" approach - while reasonably close to my AP, I hold the N770 tight in to my body, draw my legs up and basically shield it as much as possible. Then search for connections, it finds mine, and it connects fine.

Once it is connected it behaves itself fine.

You could also try the "stainless steel mixing bowl" approach reported in bug #2082.

littlestone
2008-11-05, 02:51
Shielding is not a solution I can do reliably, since the n router is very close to my place so the signal is very strong.

I have given up and use bluetooth pan for internet. That's not perfect as I couldn't get Os2008he bt to use pan.

penthes
2008-11-05, 08:01
You only need to shield while you are initially searching for a connection and then connecting, once connected you don't need to shield it any more.

desiv
2008-11-05, 16:33
Of course, this is at the end of the Maemo bug list thread:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Comment #23 from Kalle Valo (Nokia) 2008-11-04 18:03:22 GMT+3 [reply]

(In reply to comment #20)
> @Kalle, can you take a look at this and whether you have any ideas?
> It's about the 770, but we've got a great syslog and lots of people running
> into this.

Sorry, no time for 770 anymore. Fremantle is keeping me very busy.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hmmmm...

phi
2008-11-05, 16:37
This basically killed me from using my 770 and now it just sits on the shelf. Stupid bug!

littlestone
2008-11-07, 04:35
You only need to shield while you are initially searching for a connection and then connecting, once connected you don't need to shield it any more.

I know what you talk about, but when the source of bad signals is so close, it's difficult to shield the bad signals from the good. My wife is a baker and I have tried every mixing bowls we have, and none of them work well. It's simply not a practical solution for me.

I swear I will not buy another Nokia from now on.

adityasa
2008-11-08, 22:45
I experienced the same problem a few days ago.
I finally able to resolve it, but you need router admin access to do this.

Originally my router was configured to accept both 802.11 b, g, and n. It was also fixed to channel "6". My router is DLink DIR-615. Soon after I changed its configuration to only accept 802.11g (no "b" and "n") and activated "search for the best channel", I finally able to connect to my WLAN.

I think it's confused with its surrounding wireless network type, especially with 802.11n type.

Hope it's help.

racky
2008-11-14, 07:12
I am a little confused about what you said, a router is used to send out wifi signal, not to accept signal. right? What do you mean, search best channel, change to accept only g? Are you talking about your laptop or your IT?

adityasa
2008-11-15, 03:39
oops sorry, you're right...it should be broadcasting signal, not accepting...

what I meant is that I configured my router to only broadcast "g" WiFi signal and enable it to search for the best signal broadchast channel. I don't really know about the technical explanation for searching the best channel. I just tick the "search for the best channel" options from my router admin page and my IT, not laptop, was able to connect to my WLAN.

bac522
2008-11-26, 15:00
This is a strange problem....I never had this problem until now and coincidently it only started happening after I had to reflash my firmware to the 2006 version. And I was using the latest 2006 version to begin with.

penthes
2008-12-02, 15:54
FYI the bug report on this has been closed as "WONTFIX"
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2082

lovemov
2008-12-24, 09:03
Mine have the same problem suddently, I guess my neighbor just upgraded to N...
Any updates on the issue, any simple work around?
Thanks.

Tweak
2008-12-25, 02:02
I tried the "body shielding" approach in post #13 for the 1st time yesterday for my 770 and it worked. :eek:

Once the connection was established it worked ok, but noticeably slower than my N800. My 770 is running the latest 2008HE.

Mine have the same problem suddently, I guess my neighbor just upgraded to N...
Any updates on the issue, any simple work around?
Thanks.

dal
2009-01-05, 16:14
Can someone confirm that they can see connections in OS2005, but not other OS versions? If this is the case, I might just downgrade to OS2005.

ericdkirk
2009-01-05, 18:02
When I first encountered this bug I downgraded to 2005 and it did not work.
So I would assume that this will not matter.

I am wondering will it ever be possible to connect a 770 to a mixed b/g/n AP?
Nokia at least release all the source for the 770 drivers, if you are not going to support this.

symbrkr
2009-01-06, 00:03
man, even with body-shielding I'm getting only one out of 10 tries, and I never hugged myself like this :D

Are there any known CLI command that'll force our Nokia to try a 802.11g connection using a user given SSID? It's nearly impossible to browse the web through wget + swapping of MMC card :(

breaker

ksunday
2009-02-10, 22:51
Exactly same problem here. Suddenly my fantastic gadget has become pretty redundant! It's a real shame that something that's so genuinely useful can be taken out of action by something so simple.

After all the brilliant work put into creating OS2008HE which I've got to work with all my favourite apps, it seems strange for it to end like this.

I suppose Nokia have now given me no option but to upgrade. Unfortunately they've also given me the very reason why I won't be upgrading.

I've loved the innovation and dedication of the people that have worked on this product but I'm dissappointed that Nokia dumped support so early for it and won't make the effort to fix a pretty vital problem with the core functionality of it in what I'd term its expected useful working life.

dal
2009-02-10, 23:53
Very well put ksunday.

bac522
2009-02-12, 02:00
I've loved the innovation and dedication of the people that have worked on this product but I'm dissappointed that Nokia dumped support so early for it and won't make the effort to fix a pretty vital problem with the core functionality of it in what I'd term its expected useful working life.

Could be the problem is hardware based and thus can't be fixed. Personally I'm still looking for another linux based tablet that isn't made by Nokia. Burnt twice with the WSoD yet Nokia refused to admit to the problem...in my book bad customer service is a reason not to buy from them again, hence the reason I refuse to buy the N800 or 810.

Ron G
2009-02-13, 18:06
FYI the bug report on this has been closed as "WONTFIX"

Bastards, now my 770 won't connect and is useless too. If I can get my 770 to connect by using a metal mixing bowl as a shield while I squat next to my router [ROLLEYES] I'll use it one last time to purchase a competing mobile internet device. Good riddance.

trin20t
2009-03-03, 21:56
Some people seem to find a correlation between being near a 802.11n network and no networks appearing. If you have an n-capable accesspoint, you might want to enable b/g mode only and see if that works.

-Jonathan

Jon you hit the nail on the head!
I am new,and got a used 770 from a guy who was so annoyed that the 770 wasn't connecting to all networks ,he sold it to me dirt cheap!
Luckily,here in my house I use 802.11b/g and set to switch from one to the other at will.
Also,many local spots here in Cincy use 802.11b/g/n and it switches.
So I am lucky. :cool:

scaler
2009-03-27, 21:30
Bastards, now my 770 won't connect and is useless too. If I can get my 770 to connect by using a metal mixing bowl as a shield while I squat next to my router [ROLLEYES] I'll use it one last time to purchase a competing mobile internet device. Good riddance.
Did you read comment # 17 on the Bugzilla thread? It doesn't require squatting or a mixing bowl and it WORKS for me, for the guy who wrote the comment (Burgess) and for others who have tried it. The idea is to shield the 770 BRIEFLY while it searches and while it connects. Once it's connected you should be OK. The shielding is done by holding the tablet's screen against yourself and using your hands to cover as much of the back and sides as you can. Is that so hard?

Here are the steps:

(1) Turn to face towards your router. (It's better if you can see the router's LED's, because then the flashing lights will let you know when the N770 has found the router and when the connection has been made. While you are shielding the Tablet, you can't see its own screen.)

(2) Click on the Tablet's WiFi icon.

(3) IMMEDIATELY hold the Tablet against yourself to shield it from most of the extraneous 2.4 GHz signals while it searches.

(4) When it has had time to search, look at the screen. (Flashing LED's on the router can tell you when to do this, so long as no other computer is communicating with the router at the same time.) Usually the Tablet will have found your own connection and maybe a few others through your covering hands.

(5) QUICKLY, before it starts to search again, click on your own connection or on the "Connect" button and IMMEDIATELY shield the Tablet again. (If it is searching again when you look, you might have to start over.)

(6) Give it time to connect and then hold it as you normally would.

This nearly always works for me. It doesn't work when my wife is using the 2.4 GHz portable phone. Maybe it won't work if you have chatty neighbours. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about that.

There's another ITT thread on exactly the same topic:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23759

And here is the Bugzilla thread again:

trin20t
2009-03-28, 06:09
LOL seriously this thread is funny as all hell!
Hugging and sheilding with a bowl? Lawrd!
I connect just fine on my 770 at home still. 802.11g and nothing else.
Sometimes I get errors outside the house cause it sees the 802.11n.
I just wait until I pick up a strong 802.11g around Fountainsquare or a park.
Just set your routers to use 802.11b/g and forget it!
802.11n is NOT for the 770. The manual tells you that.
To the guy piggy-backing his neighbors 802.11n and whining...stop and get your own wi-fi and a good Linksy 802.11b/g router for f@cks sake!
Scaler the 2.4 ghz cordless phone isn't doing it.
I have a 5.8ghz by my very 770 now,and it is connected and always does in my bedroom.
I even have a microwave close!
It's 802.11n making it bad for them as always.
Some are overlapping also in their area.
And LOL the fix is listed as 'WONTFIX'. *shakes head*

Andre Klapper
2009-03-28, 12:55
And LOL the fix is listed as 'WONTFIX'. *shakes head*

It's not "the fix" listed as WONTFIX, it's the bug report.
And a "fix" in Bugzilla is a patch (that strange text file thingy that contains some characters that look like code to hackers), not a workaround.

scaler
2009-03-28, 17:43
LOL seriously this thread is funny as all hell!

Scaler the 2.4 ghz cordless phone isn't doing it.

Yes it is.

2.4 GHz is the frequency of WiFi. 5.8 GHz phones obviously wouldn't have the same effect.

As soon as my wife turns on the phone to call or answer, the Tablet loses its connection. I can reconnect when she finishes the call, but not before then.

It's nice for you that your neighbours have made their WLAN invisible (or maybe they don't have WLAN). Others aren't so lucky. You don't have a problem to solve, but others do. The shielding works for me and for some other people who have tried it.

There seem to be two different situations which lead to this problem. In some cases, there are too many AP's being picked up. Other times, it's one particular AP (presumed to be a type n) causing the trouble.

I have no trouble after about 10 pm and before 8 am. Only five or six AP's show up, and I can connect without shielding the 770. During the day, the search picks up page after page of AP's at first, then the screen loses them all and the "No Connections Available" message shows up instead. Shielding the 770 gets over the problem - so far, 100% of the time. It's only during the searching and the connecting that the Tablet has to be shielded - a very short time.

trin20t
2009-03-31, 01:36
Yes it is.

2.4 GHz is the frequency of WiFi. 5.8 GHz phones obviously wouldn't have the same effect.

As soon as my wife turns on the phone to call or answer, the Tablet loses its connection. I can reconnect when she finishes the call, but not before then.

It's nice for you that your neighbours have made their WLAN invisible (or maybe they don't have WLAN). Others aren't so lucky. You don't have a problem to solve, but others do. The shielding works for me and for some other people who have tried it.

There seem to be two different situations which lead to this problem. In some cases, there are too many AP's being picked up. Other times, it's one particular AP (presumed to be a type n) causing the trouble.

I have no trouble after about 10 pm and before 8 am. Only five or six AP's show up, and I can connect without shielding the 770. During the day, the search picks up page after page of AP's at first, then the screen loses them all and the "No Connections Available" message shows up instead. Shielding the 770 gets over the problem - so far, 100% of the time. It's only during the searching and the connecting that the Tablet has to be shielded - a very short time.

Hmm interesting.
Never thought a phone could do that.
Maybe your wife should invest in a 5.8 ghz model? IDK.

Yes,my neighbors can't aford Wi-Fi.
Barely can afford the internet period!
I live in the 'hood. I'm the only one with Wi-Fi. Hopefully they won't figure it out and break in. :eek:

Well,if I do get some problems when I move,I can try this method.

trin20t
2009-03-31, 01:39
It's not "the fix" listed as WONTFIX, it's the bug report.
And a "fix" in Bugzilla is a patch (that strange text file thingy that contains some characters that look like code to hackers), not a workaround.

Thanks for informing me this. :)
I am still new to all of this still,after two months. I'm still a newb. :rolleyes:

ksunday
2009-05-03, 09:39
I jumped ship and got an iPhone in the end. It does everything I want day-to-day and the interface gives you so much satisfaction (everything works, it's responsive and looks nice). Plus my old iPod was broken.

Still, my parents decided to go for an N810 to take travelling with them on my recommendation. I still think the tablets take some beating as travel devices, but the N770 experience put me off Nokia products for domestic use because they ditched support far too soon.

I'm still not sure if Nokia knows what its target market is for these devices are. Here's my take:

Internet tablet = travel gadget

1) Skype
2) Internet browsing (for banking, emails, blogging, flickring etc)
3) E-book reading
4) Hub (connecting digital camera to in order to transfer pictures onto USB HD)
5) Videos & Picture viewing (from Digital Camera)
6) Bluetooth send/receive (sharing on the go)
7) Games (SCUMMVM etc)
8) Sat Nav
9) Music

*This is in my order of preference.

Unfortunately Nokia doesn't seem to know what they have. Ummm, it's an Internet Tablet - does that actually mean anything to non-techs?

The above features "should" make the IT marketable...people would know its strengths and Nokia could concentrate on making it do the above as well as possible (and without using the words form-factor, although size is key).

Vonsaku
2010-02-19, 10:37
Having same issues in the work, and at home and can confirm that N will kill it.
I have spend 100-200 hours with this device and have never been able to do the things why i bought it for, and at last it's breathing stopped with the wlan problems. Thank god i guess.
I have bought nokia mobile products since 1995 but lag of support makes me support other manufacturers from now on (15+ phones, including couple communicators, i-tablets and stuff).

bac522
2010-02-25, 18:23
I have bought nokia mobile products since 1995 but lag of support makes me support other manufacturers from now on (15+ phones, including couple communicators, i-tablets and stuff).

Yeah...I think 770 owners got the shaft big time from Nokia. No...I don't expect products to be supported forever, but it seems the drop of support for the 770 was much quicker then most hi-tech products.

unixadmin
2010-02-27, 19:41
After reading these no network threads I decided to try the stainless steel mixing bowl idea as nothing else would work to connect the 770 to my 802.11g router at home. I borrowed the bowl from my wife's stand mixer and placed the 770 in it facing the router which was less than 12 inches away. Once I searched for a connection my network was immediately available and I connected while leaving the 770 in the bowl. Once connected I could use the 770 normally from anywhere in my home.

I'm sure one of my neighbors recently purchased a N router which caused my no network problem. Perhaps I'll invest in a travel size stainless steel bowl in case I run into this problem while out of town.

desiv
2010-03-01, 17:10
Announcing, From Nokia - New Wireless Security for the Nokia 770

Nokia has officially announced the SS security extension for its 770 model Internet Tablet.

This, in effect, prevents anyone who is not familiar with the technology from connecting the device to an access point.

Mark Itingguy of Nokia says, "We're very excited about this new security model. No one in the current space has anything like it. This follows up perfectly on our White Screen security extension for the 770, which can totally protect the device from all attempted access. The combination of these two security features, which I might add are ONLY available to Nokia 770 users, can render the device almost totally secure. Our engineers are working on a third extension which will totally corrupt any memory in the storage card for complete mobile security. Keep you eyes out for that one!!!"

Mr. Itingguy has said that they are currently working with cooking.com for a rollout of the SS security extension accessory.

realjobe
2010-04-08, 06:25
This "bug" just happened to mine too. I had left the 770 unattended for a few months and when I finally picked it up again it started doing this. I now have "trouble" at times connecting to my AP's at home and at work. Nothing has changed in either of them, same routers, etc... Someone also mentioned "power problem." My 770 doesn't last as long in stand by these days, nowhere near 24 hours. Maybe that's related, I don't know.

I have the same situation here: Suddenly Wlan networks were not to found, Bluetooth works though and devices are scanned. Probably my several neighourrs got wlan-n or wlan-g count rised up too much..
I even opened the thing and cleaned antenna connector are other (Youtube v=HdTN6vx2D4M) but nothing worked.

Offline / online toogling did nothing... this s auful..

I'll test the commadLine based manual AP setup...

Edit: I tested the solution, but it did not get the web / application manager to see the net: so what's the point. I dragged the Device to more quiet wlan coverage and it showed the avaiable accespoints! At least the HW works!! :)

installed packages: xterm, gainroot, wireless-tools
step 1: get root access in a xterm
step 2: run these commands in the xterm:
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 key <your wep key>
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
iwconfig wlan0 essid <your ssid>
ifconfig wlan0 <your ip> netmask <your netmask>
route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 gw <your default gateway>
echo "nameserver <your dns server>" > /etc/resolv.conf
gconftool -s -t string /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/DEFAULT/type DUMMY

In the above commands, replace "<blahblah>" with parameters of your network(without the '<' and '>'). Then minimo should work fine; when using any built-in applications and the 770 asks you to choose a connection, always choose "DEFAULT" from the list, and then everything should work fine. You can also put all the commands in a script to make it easier to run it again.

yrannadx
2010-04-29, 19:58
Workaround with UI (by using maemo-pan application) for solving this problem:

Tested on 2008HE. Installed packages: xterm, gainroot, wireless-tools.

1. Install maemo-pan. This will create Bluetooth-PAN dummy connection that will be used to connect to your home wlan from UI.
2. Edit /usr/lib/maemo-pan/pan-control file and replace the whole file with the below code.
3. Edit MY_NETWORK with your network name. This should be the name of the wireless network that you want to use and is already configured in Connections.
4. Edit MY_ESSID with your wireless SSID.

Maybe someone knows an algorithm to convert list of intergers returned from wlan_ssid to string (see line 25 from script)? In this case it could be set automatically in the script.

Note: Tested only WEP security. WPA security will not work, I guess the implementation is more complex to make it work with iwconfig.

#! /bin/sh

# Script for controlling the WLAN connection.

# exit codes:
# 0: OK
# 1: you are not root
# 2: connection failed

# are we root?
if [ `id -u` != 0 ]; then
echo "Only root may run $0."
exit 1
fi

COMMAND=$1
USER=user

# set network name for wlan as saved in Connections
# only WEP, WPA preshared and NONE security
MY_NETWORK="HOME_WLAN"
MY_ESSID="HOME_WLAN"

# MY_ESSID=`su - $USER -c "gconftool-2 -g /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/${MY_NETWORK}/wlan_ssid"`

infoprint() {
local msg=$1
su - $USER -c "dbus-send --session --dest=org.freedesktop.Notifications /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications.SystemNoteInfoprint \"string:$*\""
}

bnep_start() {
infoprint "Connecting to $MY_NETWORK ..."
ifconfig wlan0 up
MY_SECURITY=`su - $USER -c "gconftool-2 -g /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/${MY_NETWORK}/wlan_security"`
case $MY_SECURITY in
WEP)
MY_KEY=`su - $USER -c "gconftool-2 -g /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/${MY_NETWORK}/wlan_wepkey1"`
iwconfig wlan0 enc $MY_KEY mode managed essid $MY_ESSID
;;
WPA_PSK)
MY_KEY=`su - $USER -c "gconftool-2 -g /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/${MY_NETWORK}/EAP_wpa_preshared_passphrase"`
iwconfig wlan0 enc s:$MY_KEY mode managed essid $MY_ESSID
;;
NONE)
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid $MY_ESSID
;;
esac
udhcpc -i wlan0 -n
MY_IP=`ifconfig wlan0 | grep inet`
infoprint "Connected with $MY_IP"
}

bnep_stop() {
infoprint "Disconnecting from $MY_NETWORK ..."
ifconfig wlan0 down
udhcpc -i wlan0 -n
ifconfig wlan0 up
}

case $COMMAND in
connect)
bnep_start
;;
disconnect)
bnep_stop
;;
esac

Technohippy
2010-05-27, 14:18
I have been suffering from this ever since my netgear b/g router died. got a linksys n router and the problems started. luckily i had an old netgear b/g router which i used to provide access for my 770. that died and I got a very cheap one off ebay that seemed to do the job. then one day my neighbours upgraded to a bt home hub and that pretty much killed things for me.

I have upgraded the 770 to os2007he and it just started connecting while it was sat there charging one day. I hadn't asked it to search for a network, it just connected!!

I don't mind the workarounds to get the thing online... the thing that bothers me most of all is that when no connections are available, the battery life sucks. by that i mean 4 hours tops. yet when there is an active connection, i can at least leave the thing on overnight without waking up to find it has turned itself off.

is there a setting in the wireless configuration which means that it is constantly seeking out networks whether or not i ask it to?

epage
2010-05-27, 15:43
Wow, I'm glad I spotted this thread. I live in an apartment and my 770just stopped working soon after getting my n810. I just happened to bring it into work and I was amazed it worked. I guess one of my neighbors got a Wireless-N router.

racky
2010-05-30, 08:40
Wow, I'm glad I spotted this thread. I live in an apartment and my 770just stopped working soon after getting my n810. I just happened to bring it into work and I was amazed it worked. I guess one of my neighbors got a Wireless-N router.

Epage, I hope one day you can bring the DialCentral to work on 770. I am still using my 770 everyday, even though I have a N800.

bonerici
2010-06-14, 04:04
i gave up on the shielding, and the scripts, remember there is one sure way to fix this:

Downgrade to OS 2005

I am sure if we pull out the network connectivity scripts from OS 2005 and throw it into a more recent OS, this will all get fixed.

But . . . like everyone else, I keep looking at the new devices and just dont find myself wanting to spend time fixing it for good.

i dont have anything running on my 770 anymore, used to have a ton of apps but now its just a little internet tablet. Which is ok I guess, it still works under OS 2005, lol.

bunanson
2010-07-07, 03:21
On 2008He, to connect:

1) plug it in, it has to use tons of juice to find network, or
2) repeat connect once, it usually catch on the 2nd time
3) simply wait for a few minute, it will catch

bun

LaVorAta
2010-07-28, 20:10
Sbrsh for maemo 2.x == broken. Solution: Upgrade to 2007HE.

802.11n kills wifi in 2007HE. Fix? None, and there never will be.

Complete bs. You can shove your unsupported 770 up your ***.

scaler
2010-07-29, 02:02
You can shove your unsupported 770 up your ***.

That sounds like an extreme form of the body-shielding technique, which does actually work (see posts in this thread and others). The technique sounds daft, but is based on perfectly sound Physics. Your body absorbs microwaves, including wifi signals. If you stand close to your router, your own signal will penetrate the body-shielding, but more distant signals will not. If you are lucky, that will exclude all n-type signals and allow you to connect to your own b/g.

In my apartment building there are at least 30 AP's within range of Nokia 770 and N800. Body-shielding reduces that to three, including my own. I can connect 100% of the time. If either of my two closest neighbours were to install an n router, I probably would not succeed any more with the 770.

Theoretically, any large piece of unfrozen meat should do just as well as your body. However, you are more likely to have your body available when you want to connect wifi. Clothing does not interfere with the process and is advised for avoiding smudges on your screen.

2.4 GHz portable phones also interfere with your wifi connection. They are even worse than n routers, in that they will break an existing connection. This is a problem for high-end laptops as well as for Nokia 770.

scaler
2010-08-14, 19:03
i gave up on the shielding, and the scripts, remember there is one sure way to fix this:

Downgrade to OS 2005.
Mer v0.16 is also free from this problem. Since Mer runs on the same kernel as OS2008HE, there might be hope of fixing OS2008HE. I do not have the skills to do it myself, but I have written to Stskeeps to see whether he could help.

Apologies to moderators for adding the same post to two different threads. It's hard to know which forum this topic belongs to. Evidence from OS2005 and Mer shows that it is not a 770 hardware problem. It is a firmware problem of OS2006, 2007HE and 2008HE. In the absence of forums for the HE's, maybe it belongs here.

joelrod
2010-09-16, 02:53
....I'll test the commadLine based manual AP setup...

Edit: I tested the solution, but it did not get the web / application manager to see the net: so what's the point. I dragged the Device to more quiet wlan coverage and it showed the avaiable accespoints! At least the HW works!! :)

installed packages: xterm, gainroot, wireless-tools
step 1: get root access in a xterm
step 2: run these commands in the xterm:
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 key <your wep key>
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
iwconfig wlan0 essid <your ssid>
ifconfig wlan0 <your ip> netmask <your netmask>
route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 gw <your default gateway>
echo "nameserver <your dns server>" > /etc/resolv.conf
gconftool -s -t string /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/DEFAULT/type DUMMY

In the above commands, replace "<blahblah>" with parameters of your network(without the '<' and '>'). Then minimo should work fine; when using any built-in applications and the 770 asks you to choose a connection, always choose "DEFAULT" from the list, and then everything should work fine. You can also put all the commands in a script to make it easier to run it again.

did not have wireless-tools installed in my 770 with OS2007HE, after downloading and installing from http://mulliner.org/nokia770/
(Bora), WEP did worked flawlessly, have to be root although.

surprisingly, it now connects from anywhere. I'm happy.

Side note: as I messed up by running the script above without
iwconfig been installed, got to delete the /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.1 (my router). In order to make the
contorsionist body shielding act to get internet and download
the wireless-tools and for the nokia 770 to be as it was before.

This is most likely a software problem, my guess is that it has to
do with resolv.conf nameserver config. as the problem behavior is
indistinguishable when down.

bunanson
2010-09-17, 18:50
QUOTE: Originally Posted by LaVorAta View Post
You can shove your unsupported 770 up your ***.

That sounds like an extreme form of the body-shielding technique, which does actually work (see posts in this thread and others). The technique sounds daft, but is based on perfectly sound Physics.....

If Steve read your post before facing the reporters, that would save Apple 4.5 million$ of the Apple shield. And with the way Steve does business, he is not going to just talk about it, he WILL show you.

bun

scaler
2010-10-06, 17:06
This is most likely a software problem.
It's not a case of "most likely". The problem very definitely lies in the system software of OS2006, 2007HE and 2008HE. (Sorry if my previous post did not make this clear. I followed Nokia's usage in referring to the system software as "firmware", contrary to the IEEE definition. Most other members of this forum also follow Nokia's usage.)

As noted in the previous post, OS2005 and Mer v0.16 are free from this problem. Success with Mer shows that the problem lies in the rootfs of OS2008HE (and presumably the rootfs of OS2006 and OS2007HE), since everything except the rootfs is the same for Mer as it is for OS2008HE.

The wiki says that Mer-0.16 is experimental on the 770, but it is actually quite usable for certain purposes. It depends on what you want to do and how urgently you want to do it. Suppose you have to catch a flight in the morning, and a web check-in beforehand will ensure an easier time at the airport. If your hotel wifi uses b/g/n, you will not be able to connect using OS2008HE. Body shielding will not help, because anything that blocks out the n signal will also block out the b/g. This is a time when Mer can be useful. If you have brought an MMC partitioned between Mer and swap, and your bootmenu is set up appropriately, you can switch MMC's and do your check-in.

[Web check-in can be done on a BT -> GPRS connection, but wifi is much preferable. Most airlines set a time limit for completing the procedure. On a slow connection, there is a good chance that you will exceed the time limit and have to start over, unless you really know your way around the website. Mer can be frustrating on the 770 (see next 3 paragraphs), but Mer+wifi is a big improvement over OS2008HE+GPRS for this type of procedure. Similar considerations apply to purchasing tickets, changing reservations etc.]

For basic internet purposes (browser and email), the frustrating thing about Mer on 770 is the long time it takes to boot up (2 min 45 sec)*, to connect (1 min to connect with a hidden, previously saved AP), and to open applications (1 min 35 sec for Tear, 21 sec for Claws Mail).

Once in a while the boot gets stuck, so that you have to remove the battery and start again. Occasionally the boot is complete, but the CPU load remains stuck at the maximum (load-applet is built in); in this case, everything will be extremely slow until you reboot.

Claws Mail is a full-size version displayed on a 10 cm screen, and everything is very tiny; this is also true for several installable apps such as the Text Editor. On the onscreen keyboard, toggling between lower-case and upper-case is very slow, and the "stroke" technique does not work. Display dimming/switchoff are set at 30sec/60sec, and there is no obvious way to change this setting. Your device will go a little crazy if you leave it in "Normal" mode without connecting to a network (the battery will drain, even if the cover is on); you have to put it in "Offline" mode when you don't want to be connected.

If you can put up with these irritations, there are a lot of good things about Mer. The Tear browser and Claws Mail are fast and work well, once they have opened up. There is an excellent version of X-Terminal built in, much better than anything available for Maemo before OS2008. A number of things that don't show up in the GUI can be done at the command line. For example, contrary to reports elsewhere, FBReader is available for Mer on 770. It has to be installed with apt-get and invoked from X-Term. Once invoked, FBReader's own GUI takes over and it all works; its library responds to the stylus better than in any version of FBReader for Maemo that I have seen.

*(It takes about 1 min 30 sec for the progress bar to cross the screen during the boot. Then there is about 1 min when the screen displays the Mer theme and nothing else. Sometimes, as noted above, the boot fails to proceed beyond this point. Until you have booted a few times and grown used to the 1 min pause, it seems that the boot always gets stuck. However, it does proceed to completion if you wait, at least 9 times out of 10.)

the contorsionist body shielding act

People keep writing about "contortions" in connection with the body shielding. I wish I knew what they meant. Do you perform contortions when you buckle your belt? Body shielding uses about the same posture. All you have to do is to hold the front of the 770 against your (clothed) abdomen, with your hands covering as much as possible of the sides and back. Your wife and kids might giggle if they see you, because it looks dopey. But then, we all look dopey when we stare intently at a tiny screen, so what's the difference?

[EDIT: It doesn't matter whether you hold the front or the back of the device against the bulk of your body, so long as you cover the rest as much as possible with your hands. In either case, using OS2008HE, the search in my apartment finds my own AP and two others, and I can connect. If I hold the 770 with fingertips against my bulk (not covering with hands), no connections are available. Doing the same test with N800, covering with bulk+hands also blocks out all but my AP and the same two others; bulk+fingertips leads to my own and six others. Presumably one of the extra four is n-type and causes the search to fail in 2008HE.]

You also have to develop a knack for the timing, since you can't see the screen during the search. When there has been enough time for the search, you must act quickly to initiate the connection and then immediately shield again. Some people might find it awkward or unnatural to combine patience and swiftness in this way. It still falls far short of "contortions".

bonerici
2010-11-16, 16:45
thanks scaler. I didn't realize mer .16 existed. I've had 2005 loaded for a year now but . . . no decent apps, so I'm going to try it out and maybe my nokia 770 wont be a useless brick anymore! :-)

scaler
2010-11-20, 03:00
I didn't realize mer .16 existed.

You can get a tarball for it from http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Releases/0.16 . The 770 version is at the very bottom of the page. Most browsers make a peculiar twitch upwards when you go that far down, concealing the link almost immediately. You can prevent that by placing your cursor over the link in the brief time when it is visible.

The installation instructions are all right in general, although I didn't follow them exactly. I don't use wget or the latest bootmenu app (wget takes up too much space in the 770's internal flash when you have 2008HE installed). Instead, I used a PC to download the tarball into the MMC in a card reader. For the bootmenu, I'm still happy with Fanoush's original initfs_flasher, using vi to edit the bootmenu.conf.

[EDIT: I might not be remembering correctly how I downloaded. I might possibly have downloaded to Shared Folders on the Windows PC and copied it from there to the MMC in the 770 via wifi. Or I might have copied it via a USB thumb drive - the 770 is flashed to persistent host mode, so that it behaves like a computer instead of a $7 card reader.]

There is one error in the instructions. I believe that you ought to cd out of /mnt/mer before unmounting it.

It turns out that you have to untar the tarball on the 770 itself. When I did it on the PC (with MMC in the card reader), mer would not boot on the 770.

I assume that gtar will work on the 770. I am still using the old explosive osso-tar that has disappeared from the repositories.

Good luck with mer. I can't honestly promise that it will be much fun. It does fill a specific need though, if you urgently want to connect your 770 to wifi.

bonerici
2010-11-25, 04:43
scaler i had no problem putting on wget with 2008he there is plenty of room, wget is small. My problem is that it took me a few days of downloads to finally finish the 150 meg download, the nokia under 2008HE is kind of erratic. Also I suggest commenting out "swap" on partition 2 of your mmc2 in the listed instructions, it makes the nokia freeze even more especially given that the tarball and download take so long.

I dont know where you found something to read an MMC card those are kind of obsolete at this time.

If you can't connect the 770 to wifi what the heck good is it, that's what it was built for!

still not sure mer 0.16 is the best, might go back to 2005 just cause its quicker

bonerici
2010-11-25, 22:19
after a week trying to get mer 0.16 to work I'm going back to OS 2005 for now. Anyone else who tries mer 0.16 let me know if it works for you (or doesn't). At least OS 2005 is stable and fast. No aps, but you can get on the wifi. I forgot that I could use my VMware ubuntu to load my EXT3 filesystem on the nokia 770 via the usb, you don't need an MMC reader to write big files right to the MMC card. Next time I load this, I'll do it the easy way.

scaler
2010-11-27, 21:56
... there is plenty of room, wget is small. ....the nokia under 2008HE is kind of erratic.

2008HE on internal flash is erratic because it has insufficient space. You don't want to add ANYTHING that you don't need. wget is a "luxury" item because there are always other ways to get your download.

.. it took me a few days of downloads to finally finish the 150 meg download..

That would be a reason to download to PC, if there is one available.

I dont know where you found something to read an MMC card.

By an eBay search for "card reader mmc". The kind I use seems to be available now for under $1, including shipping to almost anywhere in the world. Here is a trader with 100% positive feedback: http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-2-0-SDHC-SD-MMC-High-Speed-Memory-Card-Reader-/320622404199?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item4aa695a267

Your PC would have to be running some kind of Linux to make the download into the ext3 partition. If you only have Windows, you might have to dl to a USB drive and put your 770 into host mode to transfer the tarball to your MMC. The old threads and wikis about host mode on the 770 have disappeared, but I wrote a few posts about it in a thread of Bunanson's recently. The first one is http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58097&page=2 , written for non-Linux users . (If you have a Linux PC available, it is simpler and better to use the 0xFFFF flasher to activate host mode.)

still not sure mer 0.16 is the best, might go back to 2005

It depends on what you want to do. Many websites don't recognise the OS2005 browser as a "real" computer and won't let you transact business with it. Mer is a pain, but it does work.

Also I suggest commenting out "swap" on partition 2 of your mmc2 in the listed instructions, it makes the nokia freeze even more

I find the opposite, that a large swap space is the only way to keep 2008HE from freezing.

Sorry if the Mer suggestion has given you a lot of work. I did say that it was unlikely to be much fun.

bonerici
2010-11-28, 00:41
oh it was fun tinkering with it. thanks.

Your PC would have to be running some kind of Linux

it's really easy to use vmware first download the vmware player, and then download your favorite linux, I used ubuntu, then ubuntu will run as an application under windows and share the internet and usb connections.

This also lets you develop your SDK aps from your windows machine from within the linux appliance

with how easy it is to use vmware and ubuntu even if I had an mmc reader i would still plug it straight in, it's a bit easier than using your own mmc reader cause it plugs right into your machine and you can change stuff on your nokia without having to pull out and plug in the mmc

mohannad
2010-11-28, 02:03
I just loaded OS2005 on my 770 and i have internet access again!! does we know what the problem is with OS2006 that is causing the no network connections issue?

bonerici
2010-11-28, 16:29
yes, there's a bad module in the kernel when it hits a 802.11n network, it returns an error which bombs the entire scan, we dont have access to this module so we cant fix it. If nokia wanted to this would be a 5 minute fix, but this product is no longer supported.

bac522
2010-12-15, 14:51
yes, there's a bad module in the kernel when it hits a 802.11n network, it returns an error which bombs the entire scan, we dont have access to this module so we cant fix it. If nokia wanted to this would be a 5 minute fix, but this product is no longer supported.

Hence the reason I no longer buy anything from Nokia!! I know you can't support every product forever, but for those that are still regularly used if a nagging issue could be solved relatively quickly by a Nokia programmer they should do it...or allow the community to do it by releasing the source. I think it says a lot about Nokia!

bonerici
2010-12-20, 19:13
btw i loaded up wpa-supplicant, wireless-tools, python, Bora, build wicd on the SDK, loaded it all up and it still has the same problem. I guess wicd/wireless-tools uses the same broken wifi scan module that's in that kernel.

Back to OS2005 :-(

eawaideh
2011-01-31, 11:24
i need help ,i was updating my tablet and i lost the navigator (navicore) the maps and all the program and the bluetooth icon doesnt apear any more and i cant connect withmy gps wireless antenna neither with other phones .... how can i get my navicore navigation app and my bluetooth back and is there any sites where i can download maps for this tablet ....

thank you

realjobe
2013-10-06, 08:37
So, OS2005 is the only OS to use when there is N accesspoints to hear? and OS2005 WPA2-PSK is no-go?

great..

What if I took the Modem that has G-AP in it to a location that had no N-networks, would it then list the networks? If I then connect to it, will it work when I get the modem back to N-network area?

EDIT:
Well.. what's the point if I teach the device one AP, because the device can not connect to a AP that It can not see.

Is there ANY way just to force the device to connect to a created Connection entry?