PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a new Cell? Nokia 6682

Solace
2006-06-15, 04:00
Ok... so I'm looking at replacing my Razr and want to get something that will support t-mobile's GPRS network as I already pay for it, but my razr is slow... Keeping in mind im already in a contract and am not eligable for an upgrade for quite a while, I plan to spend a fair amount of money... between $100 and $350... And as a few of you know, I work at compusa, but as i have put in my two weeks notice, im kinda in a hurry...

I want an unlocked phone... So my options seem to be:

Motorola Slvr: $274.99 (Retail $299)

Nokia 6682: $250.00 (Retail $399)

Mortorola Pebl: $300 (Retail $319)

The first two are unlocked, but the pebl is t-mobile... GF has one, and I dont think i want one... Anyone know much about the nokia 6682? This seems to be one of the better values (Phone is actuially $295 with my discount, but as my manager is trying to get rid of them since they are discontinued, he said he would sell me one for 250)

wiredless
2006-06-15, 14:15
In my opinion i would go with the nokia being that its sybian series 60 based. Meaning lots of toys and apps to install. And besides that motorola S@#$%^&*CKS! Also the nokia will stay charged longer and charge faster than the motos for some reason. I had a 3650 i loved to death, only reason i got rid of it was it didnt support EDGE data. I replaced it with a moto V551 which was faster for data but was junk in every other way. Wish i had a dime for every dropped call with the V551. Oh and i had the first RAZR befor the V551, the RAZR was slower on the data network so i exchanged it for the V551.

Psion1
2006-06-15, 17:14
The 6682 works very well with the 770:

EDGE over bluetooth - web, email, etc, except streaming audio, all work well.

File management over bluetooth - you can seemlessly manipulate the files on the 6682 with the 770. You can, for example, create a text doc on the 770, copy/paste it to and view it on the 6682. Also, images and videos captured with the 6682 can be copied/pasted to the 770 and be viewed.

The 6682 only has decent battery life, but I really like it for the symbian os, loud speaker phone, edge, bt, phone-quality videos and pictures, extra S60 apps available on the web, etc.

Scurzuzu
2006-06-15, 18:54
I also recommend the 6682. The Symbian OS means there are thousands of apps, both free and for purchase. I've had mine since December '05 and I've grown to love it.

I've only had a 770 for a month now, but it's worked seamlessly with the 6682. Psion is right, you can read the rs-mmc card in your phone directly from the 770's file manager--I'm always transferring images, movie clips, documents, and audio files back and forth between the devices (since I don't always have both with me).

I'm using the 2006 OS beta on my 770 and have successfully paired it and connected to the web via bluetooth. I've had only mixed results with using it to take the 770 online--it always connects, but often doesn't actually transmit any data in either direction. However, I blame Cingular's crappy MediaNET package ($20 a month unlimited access, but--in their defense--not meant to provide online access for other devices).

On my 6682, the camera works well but for one problem: in low-light indoor situations, it auto-corrects to a deep yellow color, making the photos turn out horrible. I've tried all adjustments and nothing helps. (In fact, if I turn off auto white balance and switch to the "incandescent" setting, the colors actually shift to MAGENTA, go figure.) Not sure if this is a problem with all the phones or just mine, but I'm too afraid of untrained Cingular employees to take it in anywhere, and I don't want to mail it off and risk being without my phone for 6 weeks, so I'm living with it. I use my 6682 a lot to take outdoor photos when I'm out during the day, then I auto-upload them to my Flickr account using Shozu, and it works pretty much seamlessly. Outdoor or bright-light photos look great (for a 1.3 mp camera, of course).

Lastly: it crashes. A LOT. I'm rebooting my phone about once per day. But then again, I am constantly opening/closing/re-opening/switching between applications all the time. I've learned to live with it.

jayholler
2006-06-15, 20:10
I agree with the above posters. I have had the 6682 since October 2005, and I have loved it from the beginning. It is the first high end phone I've ever had, and being a gadget lover I don't think I'll ever go back. The call quality is great, tethering with the 770 is seemless after the initial setup, and the shozu app for auto-uploading photos to flickr is a great feature. I also have the opera browser on the phone (comes with the free license) which is great for browsing in a pinch or when you only have one free hand and can't use the 770. Cingular's service is spotty sometimes, but usually if I have any troubles rebooting the phone will clear up any connection issues. not really a big deal as I am mostly casually browsing, not doing anything really sensitive.

Solace
2006-06-16, 03:09
Thanks guys... Bought the 6682 today and so far i love it... Anyone know of a good linux app to sync/backup that will work with the 6682?