PDA

View Full Version : Where to report bugs to Nokia directly?

Ceklund
2006-06-19, 17:49
My system crashed while using Virtual Memory on my 512 meg card. I could not get it to shut off, or do anything, so after 10 minutes of waiting, I took the battery out.

Now, while the card is okay, the virtual memory portion I believe is corrupted. So when my system boots up, when it begins to look for the virtual memory, the system crashes immediately. It crashes within 7 seconds, regardless of what I do. I appears that it takes 8.5 to 9 seconds to open the Control Panel, click on the Memory tab, click on the Virtual Memory Tab, UNCHECK the virtual memory selection and hit OKAY. It literally reboots just 1 second or even .5 of a second BEFORE I can actually hit the OKAY button. IF I could turn the Virtual Memory off, my system would restored to me. I was able to get it unchecked once before and made the mistake of thinking if I just increased the size of the Virtual memory, the crash wouldn't happen again.

It did. And now my device is locked up. I don't have a computer at a whim to flash this thing with, and no Internet cafe's in town, so getting the thing flashed is nearly impossible for me.

Where do I go at Nokia to report on the 2006 OS problems directly? I can't seem to find it.

I'd like to ask them to provide, at startup, a way to uncheck Virtual Memory by holding down a key during bootup, or something, so that I can control things like this. Perhaps they ought to have the Virtual Memory option be something you switch at bootup like a normal computer's CTRL-D or F2.... where we can clean up our Virtual Memory, reformat it, resize it, or turn it off.... before it ever gets to our OS where the possibility of being rebooted occurs. Now I can't even REACH the OS to shut VM off, and it's the only thing preventing my return to using my 770!

What a joke.

Please help?

kimmoj
2006-06-19, 19:11
http://www.maemo.org/community/bugs.html probably?

Your case is pretty specific though. I mean, you'reon a beta, which means you know you could get stung :) and I'm not sure how many people are likely to be hit by this. But of course you should bugreport it so they know it can happen.

Getting it flashed (back to 2005?) should not be impossible surely - all you need is to briefly borrow a PC with USB ports, a Knoppix or some other Linux Live CD and Flasher-2.0 + the image file for the Nokia.

Ceklund
2006-06-19, 20:36
Thanks for the website location. My Bug # is 611 and can be found here should you find yours doing the same thing:.... https://maemo.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=611

Thanks again for your help!

NokNok770
2006-06-19, 21:36
I read your bug, I have an idea for you. What if you leave the cover off the mmc slot therefore it will disable virtual memory and won't cause it to reboot. Once you have the 770 up, launch memory app, then close the memory card slot re-enabling the mmc card, it will reactivate virtual memory and you can disable it then and there cause you are already at the screen. I haven't the need to open 6 browser windows before so I don't know if it actually corrupts your virtual memory...

Speaking of bugs...I hope everyone reports the bugs so that it can be fixed

https://maemo.org/bugzilla/

I reported 6 of them and they sent me back 1 bug fix when the new OS comes out. See...it does work. So keep the bugs coming. And verify other people's bug if you can.

546 nor P2 All qa@maemo.org RESO FIXE Using file manager cause update status on top/right that ...
547 nor P2 All qa@maemo.org NEW Clock on newsreader is 1 hour ahead of regular clock
554 nor P2 All qa@maemo.org NEW Time stamp on google chat is 1 hour ahead of current time
555 nor P2 All qa@maemo.org NEW google chat cause left task navigator to be corrupted
556 nor P2 All qa@maemo.org NEW Answering chat google chat request cause loss of network ...

kimmoj
2006-06-20, 10:18
Absolutely, everyone who flashes the new beta should definitely also accept the responsibility to bugreport. That will give us all a much more stable platform when they release the 2006 OS!

It's not difficult and it doesn't take long, so help out the community. ;)

Ceklund
2006-06-22, 03:49
Thanks for all of your comments and help. I tried your idea with the MMC card but it didn't work, though I was excited by it and felt you were onto something.

Here's what DID work: in the Control Panel. there is an option in the drag bar 'Restore All Settings to Default'.

I was just able to put my password in and hit 'okay' before it rebooted. But when it got to the desktop again, the Virtual Memory had been unchecked as that greatfully IS it's default setting. So it
stopped rebooting.

Does everyone in Beta realize that once you install the Beta, you CANNOT reFlash your device AT ALL on the PC unless you have Linux? Be very careful... that was one method I was going to try before I discovered to my horror that I could not even go back to an older version!!

Nokia hasn't made a flasher utility yet that can flash the 770 once you install Beta.

Later.