PDA

View Full Version : SIP in IT2006 OS?

benny1967
2006-06-21, 07:24
I read somewhere (probly in the Maemo 2 roadmap) that the VOiP/IM-framework would natively support SIP, too.

Is there any way to make IT2006 connect to my existing SIP-account? (That is: No GTalk-Account at all, no gateway in between, just my 770 connecting straight to my SIP provider.)

I'm somewhat disappointed there's no obvious out-of-the-box solution; after all, farsight was supposed to support SIP, wasnt it?

bradb
2006-06-21, 18:49
I'm somewhat disappointed there's no obvious out-of-the-box solution; after all, farsight was supposed to support SIP, wasnt it?

From the 2006 beta post (http://www.maemo.org/#date_09062006) on maemo.org:

"Some of the new features listed as part of Maemo 2.0 roadmap are not yet supported in the beta release like the Real Time Communication framework Telepathy / Farsight ."

Brad.

benny1967
2006-06-21, 20:35
brad: thank you - I should eventually adopt the habit of reading. :o

Until then:
It seems unlikely to me that a feature so prominent as SIP support would be introduced in the final release without any beta testing. Whats your guess? Would you think the final release will somehow include SIP as a brand new feature in the telephony application? Or is this something that, although provided by the underlying framework then, will need some 3rd party software to actually work?

bradpitcher
2006-06-27, 16:37
as far as I understood it farsight is a collection of libraries, so you may be right with your second suggestion. However, from my reading of the tapioca wiki, I get a feeling that the libraries will be used by the same app that does google talk.