PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves on the N810 (and possible workarounds?)

pieter_jh
2008-07-31, 06:59
Hi guys.

Now dont get me wrong - I love my N810, and use it more than my home PC these day. There are just a few small niggles that
1) Need to be fixed or
2) I need to learn how to do things better.

I would like to suggest a thread where everyone gets to suggest one (ONLY) peeve. If anyone has a suggestion - please contribute, so we (esp me) can learn something. If no one has an idea how to get it done, then the UI designers get to learn something. Pls note - we all want a 2.4Ghz processor, 64G storage space etc, so I'd like us to stick to the user experience (mostly UI and ergonomics)

I'll kick off with my first peeve :

WHEN AN APP IS BEING RUN FULLSCREEN WITH THE KEYBOARD TUCKED AWAY - HOW DO I ACCESS THE APPLICATION MENU? Currently I have to either haul out the keyboard to press the menu button (which should have been outside as with the N800 in the first place!) or I have to restore the app to non full screen mode, haul out the stylus and click on the menu bar at the top.

When I am in bed reading on my N810, or surfing the web, I often want to access the menu - eg to open an new browser window. I cant do this in fullscreen or without the keyboard.

Any suggestions? Anyone?

Matan
2008-07-31, 08:36
You can remap the keys, exchanging between Menu key and one of the keys that are outside.

For example, running the command

xmodmap -e "keycode 9 = F4"

Will make the Escape key behave as the Menu key.

To return to normal behaviour:

xmodmap -e "keycode 9 = Escape"

debudebu
2008-07-31, 12:48
i switch my n800 between normal and offline a lot. so it gets pretty annoying that i have to answer the 'are you sure' question. by the time i get that box, i have already made three key presses. the power button especially is impossible to press by accident, so of course i'm sure!