PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to a Verizon Razr V3m

DCForever
2006-06-22, 17:53
I just got Verizon service and a Razr V3m. I have them paried, but I don't know what settings to enter to get online. Any help would be great. Thanks.

aleksandyr
2006-06-22, 21:27
www.howardforums.com

Getting the v3m/v3c connected is a bit of a trial.

In theory:

number: #777
username: 8885551234@vzw3g.com
password: vzw

Where 8885551234 is replaced with your cellular number.

In practice, this will probably fail. See howardforums for the specifics.

Androxylo
2006-06-27, 03:29
I'm connecting to web using Verizon E815 and Palm UX50, using bluetooth. It works quite fast, in the mountains, at the beach...

Odin
2006-06-27, 12:52
www.howardforums.com

Getting the v3m/v3c connected is a bit of a trial.

In theory:

number: #777
username: 8885551234@vzw3g.com
password: vzw

Where 8885551234 is replaced with your cellular number.

In practice, this will probably fail. See howardforums for the specifics.

The above no longer works, at least in my region (Gulf Coast of US).

However, the V3c connects and works fine (albeit slow) with DUN and the 770. Basically, the V3c (cannot speak for m, don't trust Verizon) simply acts as a BT modem, so you need to have an ISP. You simply set the 770 up with your ISP #, login and password and the rest is automatic. It costs you minutes, but that is all I have ever been charged, so it is essentially "free" on nights and weekends. I have found that disabling EVDO helps in terms of battery and speed, but Verizon got wise to this and every so often the phone reboots and turns it back on.

DCForever
2006-06-27, 16:18
Androxylo:
Do you have it setup as in the post above you? I did that, but I get an Authentication failure.

aleksandyr
2006-06-27, 18:03
Odin:

I was told flat-out by a Verizon CS that I would be charged per byte for QNC (Quick2Net Connection) usage, which can also be invoked by using #777/qnc/qnc or something similar as number/user/pass. It's been awhile.

According to the forums, and I was able to do this a few times before I broke down and flashed, if you disable EVDO it is possible to connect via the method I posted earlier.

The E815 has no such problems: it's a specific firmware break for the v3c.

Odin
2006-06-28, 03:26
Odin:

I was told flat-out by a Verizon CS that I would be charged per byte for QNC (Quick2Net Connection) usage, which can also be invoked by using #777/qnc/qnc or something similar as number/user/pass. It's been awhile.

According to the forums, and I was able to do this a few times before I broke down and flashed, if you disable EVDO it is possible to connect via the method I posted earlier.

The E815 has no such problems: it's a specific firmware break for the v3c.

Not to be rude, but this is nonsense. First, Verizon Customer Service has no clue about these sorts of issues. Browse Howard or Brighthand forums for confirmation of this. The QNC network is old, that's all. My guess is that it is harder to shut off than to just let it die. It may be that it is used in some markets, so it works in some places and doesn't in others. I used it for years with an LG phone and a Mac PowerBook and was never charged other than minutes. You have DUN with the V3 series, but you have to use the phone as a modem to get to your dial-up ISP. Verizon does not like this, but I don't think they can stop it and it is such low bandwidth that it really does not put much of a drain on the "network". Besides, the people that know how to use it are a very small number when you consider their subscriber base.

Today I used DUN while waiting for my son at the dentist's office. I browsed webmail and viewed my calendars. Slow, but I saw all I needed in five minutes of prime time. The 770 is really great for this, hats off to Nokia for doing what Palm either could not do or was intimidated by VZ into not doing. With a VZ phone you can literally connect anywhere, quite helpful when out of range of a friendly and free wi-fi access point. Of course, there's always aircrack...