PDA

View Full Version : "New posts" almost always missing some post

luca
2008-08-12, 11:29
I routinely use the "New posts" link to, well, check for new posts since I last browsed the forum, however it seems it lists the post since my last visit (more or less, there's some fudge factor applied) instead of the posts since I last hit the link, so I sometimes miss some posts (I know because if I scroll back in a topic I see messages I didn't see before).
Would it be possible to do the latter or, even better, don't reset the starting time for the "New posts" link until the "mark all messages as read" is used?
Edit: maybe it's actually done that way and that's where the problem arises? I mean, I hit "New posts", take half an hour before I mark the forum read and then I miss the messages in that half hour?

briand
2008-08-12, 11:35
I mean, I hit "New posts", take half an hour before I mark the forum read and then I miss the messages in that half hour?

That could be what's happening. I typically hit "New", browse through the new messages, then hit "New" again to see what was posted while I was reading, then "mark all messages read"...

andrewfblack
2008-08-12, 11:39
Yeah don't hit mark read unless you hit New again. There is also this page that shows live posting http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/vaispy.php

TA-t3
2008-08-12, 13:01
That could be what's happening. I typically hit "New", browse through the new messages, then hit "New" again to see what was posted while I was reading, then "mark all messages read"...
That's exactly what I do too. It works well.

briand
2008-09-04, 21:29
I was going to say that you took the words right outta my mouth...

actually, it looks like you took the words right out of several people's mouths, threw them into a blender, then logged on here and poured the blender contents into this topic.

umm... thanks?

:shrug:

bunanson
2008-09-04, 22:03
I routinely use the "New posts" link to, well, check for new posts since I last browsed the forum, however it seems it lists the post since my last visit (more or less, there's some fudge factor applied) instead of the posts since I last hit the link, so I sometimes miss some posts...

Depends on the forum "traffic", it took time to refresh (update). I routinely hit 'F5' (refresh) everytime before reading any forum.

bun

luca
2008-09-05, 07:56
verdict: forums suck, mailing lists rule