PDA

View Full Version : Maemo Mapper & i-Blue GPS Syncing for NEWBS (like me) :D

Ceklund
2006-06-28, 20:01
If you have a new i-blue and are confused like me on what to do at the start, I have tidied the process up for all of us. This is a beautiful thing. Easy as apple pie. Enjoy. :D

DIRECTIONS
1) Boot the i-blue the first time and wait 5 minutes to let it do its initial sync process. Turn it off when it is done (it's done when the orange GPS light goes dark.)
2) Start Maemo Mapper. Go to the SETTINGS>GPS TAB and clear out all the pre-loaded info in the MAC address text box. Hit OK and then Quit Maemo Mapper.
3) Turn the i-blue on and wait 1 minute.
4) Reload Maemo Mapper and go to SETTING/GPS TAB and the 770 will AUTO-SCAN for a GPS, it will AUTO-DETECT the MAC address and fill it in FOR YOU.
5) Hit Okay and it will be engaged and you're ready to use Maemo Mapper.

HOW TO USE MAEMO MAPPER TO GET DIRECTIONS:

1) Go to http://gpsvisualizer.com/convert?form=address and type in your DESTINATION address and hit GO, and towards the bottom left of the screen (in a box in the window that comes up) will be a latitude and longitude arrangement that looks like this....

47.058535, -122.13365

2) Copy that. Go to ROUTE>DOWNLOAD in Maemo Mapper. In the window that pops up put a check mark in "Use GPS Location" to indicate your start point. Paste what you copied from http://gpsvisualizer.com into the DESTINATION text box and check Auto-Update and hit OK.

A green line will now show your entire route. The red line is where you've been already. The Blue dot is where you are now. Pressing the Hardware Enter button will re-center the Map onto your location. Zoom to level you feel comfortable with while driving and set off on your grand adventure!

Good luck!

gnuite
2006-06-28, 20:37
DIRECTIONS
1) Boot the i-blue the first time and wait 5 minutes to let it do its initial sync process. Turn it off when it is done (it's done when the orange GPS light goes dark.)
2) Start Maemo Mapper. Go to the SETTINGS>GPS TAB and clear out all the pre-loaded info in the MAC address text box. Hit OK and then Quit Maemo Mapper.
3) Turn the i-blue on and wait 1 minute.
4) Reload Maemo Mapper and go to SETTING/GPS TAB and the 770 will AUTO-SCAN for a GPS, it will AUTO-DETECT the MAC address and fill it in FOR YOU.
5) Hit Okay and it will be engaged and you're ready to use Maemo Mapper.
Unless something goes terribly wrong, it's a lot easier than this. Just turn on your receiver, then start Maemo Mapper. Step 2 is only necessary if you've used Maemo Mapper before and have already set the MAC address in the Settings dialog box.

2) Copy that. Go to ROUTE>DOWNLOAD in Maemo Mapper. In the window that pops up put a check mark in "Use GPS Location" to indicate your start point. Paste what you copied from http://gpsvisualizer.com into the DESTINATION text box and check Auto-Update and hit OK.
You don't have to use gpsvisualizer.com - the Route Download dialog box accepts addresses directly in any format recognized by Google Maps. A few examples:

123 Road Name, City, State
123 Road Name, ZipCode
ZipCode
Latitude, Longitude

Or you can enter an intersection. This can be tricky, but here's an example that works in DC:
10th St. NE & K St. NE, Washington, DC

Oh, and "Auto-Update" only works if you keep your connection to the internet, which means that you will need to use a bluetooth phone with a data connection.