PDA

View Full Version : provixy 3.0.3 port

bradb
2006-07-02, 07:07
I started this while on my quest for an easy to port application to 2006. It didn't build straight out of the box - it fails building some documentation (missing dependencies I'm sure, but you don't really want man pages and documentation on the 770, right?) but all the binaries were there

Just for kicks, I finished the debian package. No guarantees it won't brick your 770, but I was able to install and uninstall, as well as reboot. And it seemed to work - bonus.

The documentation is at here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php/Networking:Installing_and_running_PRIVOXY), but it should be ready to go out of the box.

I don't really have anyplace to host this, but feedback would be appreciated.

Brad.

EDIT: Upgraded to proper package build, minor cleanup

fpp
2006-07-02, 08:55
You are a hero! At last now I can consider moving to the 2006 OS : dependence on Privoxy was the main thing holding me back, and I know I was not alone in this... Thanks a lot !

PS: why not host this in the Maemo Garage ?

bradb
2006-07-02, 10:22
fpp-

Glad to help. I'm a bit embarassed that I didn't make this package "correctly", but I figured it was better than nothing.

As far as the garage goes, I didn't think a simple *nix port was worthy of setting up a project for. Seems like overkill to me. Especially since I'm not distributing the source (what you see is what there is).

Brad.

fpp
2006-07-02, 22:06
Well, I don't know. Now that we can't use third-party arm binarie anymore, I think even a "simple port" has merit, especially for something like Privoxy that makes a lot of sense on the 770... also it would give your work a more permanent home (and easier to find) than a post in this forum, so we could link to it in the 2006 Application Catalog in the Maemo Wiki... else most potential users will miss it !

BanditRider
2006-07-03, 00:10
I installed vim by just clicking on the deb file om my memory card and it installed just fine.

kimmoj
2006-07-03, 06:55
You're officially my hero. ;) I can't surf without Privoxy anymore. One big hurdle towards upgrading to 2006 removed.

Was this compiled with support for web configuration and toggling it from the web by any chance?

aflegg
2006-07-03, 07:56
A better option would be a "Ports" project at the Garage. Some kind of system for building projects from source, applying appropriate 770 patches and building ARMEL debs.

A bit like fink for Mac OS X or cygwin for Windows, IYSWIM.

Then that could be the home for all sorts of things, as I agree with bradb - a Garage project for a simple recompile seems pointless.

Cheers,

Andrew

bradb
2006-07-03, 19:02
You're officially my hero. ;) I can't surf without Privoxy anymore. One big hurdle towards upgrading to 2006 removed.

Was this compiled with support for web configuration and toggling it from the web by any chance?

How to I know if those features are enable?

Brad.

bradb
2006-07-05, 07:51

I was playing with this today, and if you're talking about going to the following web page:

http://config.privoxy.org/show-status

Yes, it does seem to have support for web configuration :-)

Nice little tool.

Brad.

aflegg
2006-07-05, 15:09
Further to that I've put together some thoughts on MUD - the Maemo Unofficial Debs project - here:

http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2006-July/004527.html

Ideally, I'd see it providing the debs for privoxy, vim, rsync etc. with as little work as possible.

Comments welcome here, by email or on the maemo-developers (http://maemo.org/community/mailing-lists.html) mailing list.

Cheers,

Andrew

fpp
2006-07-05, 15:32
I think that it's a great idea !

If it's workable and accepted, it would certainly ease the angst of upgrading, and the loss-of-autonomy feeling for us "in-between users" (*) who depend on suchs addons...

Thanks !

(*) by that I mean people like me, who are :

- reasonably Linux-savvy, and not afraid of the command line, and have no qualms about fishing around in debian-arm or slackware repositories, looking up dependencies, manually installing and configuring non-maemo debs to make things work,

- not competent/dedicated/blessed-with-spare-time enough to set up a cross-compiling tool chain, learn to use it and grok the intricacies of deb packaging to reproduce what used to be much simpler before...

fpp
2006-07-09, 18:50
bradb,

Thanks again for that Privoxy port. I bit the bullet this weekend and upgraded to the 2006 OS. Everything went well and my GPRS connection is back up and running thanks to your work !
The "contrib" repository at the Maemo Garage that gnuite suggested is now available, I'll see if I can understand how to make your package available in there (if you don't beat me to it :-)...

bradb
2006-07-10, 06:19
fpp-

Glad to help. Feel free to pass it around anywhere you want, just do me a favor and use the package that I just attached to this thread - I tweaked the build process finally.

I'm hoping that Nokia will address how applications and ports will be handled soon - I think Andrew's idea is great and his comments about the Application Catalog needing to be replaced are dead on.

I was hoping something like debian's package website - say packages.maemo.org anyone?

But for now... I'm going to be setting up a webpage within the next day and adding a few ports to the applications catalog (nothing exciting, sorry).

Brad.

fpp
2006-07-10, 08:46
Okay. I installed the previous one and all went well - do I need to upgrade ?

PS - a final favour : as the thread owner, could you change "provixy" to "privoxy" in the title ? Makes it easier to find using search :-)
Thx,
fp

PPS : ports don't have to be exciting -- useful is quite enough :-)

mkstevo
2007-08-25, 15:34
Thanks so much BradB . Surfing is much easier on the eye now . So glad you compiled this package , my head felt like it might explode reading the install instructions . I'm sure it is easy for people who understand phrases like 'gain root priveledges' but for less intelligent mortals (more used to Windows or Macs) your package is a godsend .

Thanks again .

brendan
2007-08-25, 17:03
has anyone done extensive work customizing privoxy? i run two instances on my machine at home. one is daisy chained where squid forwards the traffic to privoxy and the other where privoxy is daisy chained to forward traffic to the tor server i am running. the second instance has logging turned off (actually routed to /dev/null) because the anonymity aspects of the tor network would be for naught if i had logs of requests going through there.

in both cases i have privoxy doing a ton of filtering and header modification. i alter the user agent to be "NotYourBusiness/.666", drop the user language, forge the referer url to be the root of the site requested and drop the X-Forwarded-For string.

then i have a ton of filters enabled. a lot of javascript and html annoyances are gotten rid of. when i use either setup as my proxy i get no banner ads, no popup ads and a much cleaner internet experience.

for those that dont know, with privoxy installed, started and set as your proxy on 127.0.0.1:8118, you can browse to http://config.privoxy.org and view/edit configurations.

one shortcoming that this highlights is that you have to specify the proxy in the network connection settings, which is a pain in the butt when you want to turn the functionality on or off. has there been any talk about revising that to allow you to specify your proxy independent of you connection? you have to disconnect the connection, edit the properties and reconnect to do what should be a browser based configuration.