PDA

View Full Version : Mobile (GPRS) Connection Speed ??

Arjun
2006-07-03, 16:44
:D OK, So I downloaded the latest and greatest Nokia 770 OS 2006 recently. After this, today, just for the heck of it, I ran the Mobile Speed Test at ' testmy.net' . Here, I ran the Express Dual Test. It seems that my GPRS download speed has gone up, like almost doubled.

Sometimes earlier when I had tested the Mobile Speed at the 'dslreports' site (with Nokia770 OS 2005) the speed was 27Kbps and now it is 54 Kbps. Here, I must mention that I mucked around with the settings of the Nokia 770. Instead of using my connection name as ' T-Mobile GPRS ', I made it " T-Mobile EGPRS ". In my phone(Nokia 3650) setting also I did the same instead of the connection being named 'T-Mobile GPRS' I changed it to " T-Mobile EGPRS ".

Would this tiny change have created the difference or is it because I downloaded the Nokia 770 OS 2006?

Any ideas, Comments, Flames ?? :)

Gourmet
2006-07-03, 17:17
:D OK, So I downloaded the latest and greatest Nokia 770 OS 2006 recently. After this, today, just for the heck of it, I ran the Mobile Speed Test at ' testmy.net' . Here, I ran the Express Dual Test. It seems that my GPRS download speed has gone up, like almost doubled.

Sometimes earlier when I had tested the Mobile Speed at the 'dslreports' site (with Nokia770 OS 2005) the speed was 27Kbps and now it is 54 Kbps. Here, I must mention that I mucked around with the settings of the Nokia 770. Instead of using my connection name as ' T-Mobile GPRS ', I made it " T-Mobile EGPRS ". In my phone(Nokia 3650) setting also I did the same instead of the connection being named 'T-Mobile GPRS' I changed it to " T-Mobile EGPRS ".

Would this tiny change have created the difference or is it because I downloaded the Nokia 770 OS 2006?

Any ideas, Comments, Flames ?? :)

Flame because you:don't know the difference between GPRS and EGPRG (or EDGE).:-)
At full rate (near a relay and with a good DUN profile on the telephone) you can expect 70 kbps with GPRS and 170 kbps with EDGE.
db

phi
2006-07-03, 18:22
yeah, but if he's using a 3650, he'll see zero gain on the EDGE speeds since his phone doesn't support EDGE.

Arjun
2006-07-03, 20:39
Flame because you:don't know the difference between GPRS and EGPRG (or EDGE).:-)
At full rate (near a relay and with a good DUN profile on the telephone) you can expect 70 kbps with GPRS and 170 kbps with EDGE.
db

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Nice Flame, but surely you burn cos it is simply " BackAtYa". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So far, unfortunately, in my whole entire life, I never heard of anything like " EGPRG" :D :p :D . There sure is EGPRS - ' Enhanced General Packet Radio Service ' which simply is the enhanced version of GPRS (General Packet Radio Service).

Ohh and another "BackAtYa" is that, GPRS offers up to 115kbit/s (in theory). Typical real-world speeds are around 30-40 Kbps. And no, I do not have ' Full Rate ' ( No " Relay or a good DUN profile " whatsoever) and all that setup. Only good ol' Proxy and the Port. Still 54Kbps is darn good methinks.

Again EDGE (Enhanced Data GSM Environment) is a faster version the Global System for Mobile (GSM), built on the existing GSM standard and using TDMA framework, is good, but unfortunately my phone does not support it whatsoever. So EDGE story is off of the far edge.

Ohh and the kind person who mentioned that since I have a 3650, it will not do EGPRS is entirely correct. :) :p :) KUDOS ! ! !. I did mention that my phone is a Nokia 3650.

My question still is not answered. Why am I suddenly getting 54Kbps download when earlier I was getting a measly 27Kbps ? Can the reason for this be the fact that I upgraded to the latest, Nokia 770 OS 2006 ?

:cool: :D :cool: