PDA

View Full Version : New Concept: "The Game Voyeur"

Ceklund
2006-07-05, 04:14
THE GAME VOYEUR

I'd like to see a something that sounds literally impossible to achieve, but I'm going to give the idea out anyway, because I have come to expect miracles in this community based on the successes you Devs have had so far: Maemo Mapper, Nicotine, GPE-Calendar, GAIM, NFlick, FBReader, these and more are beyond genius. So here it goes:

I would like to see new type of gaming client for the 770 that allows 770 users to log into Warcraft, Everquest 2, etc... for the purpose of being able to chat with friends and tag along on their gaming adventures. IF (big IF) Blizzard and Evercrack supported the Game Voyeur's premise, they might add later add in benefits for those who have 770-based friends logged in and attached to them (think of those bonuses once called "Options" in those top-down forward scrolling games of the past like Ajax, Gradius, etc...)

HOW IT WORKS:
You log in to a sweet-looking Warcraft or EQ2 shell, select a friend you want to tag along with, and hit Go. (Hereafter I will only say Warcraft to denote the games, but I will mean ANY of the games this could be designed for...)

Okay, the Game Voyeur then launches you into Warcraft, where you are then attached to the player you will be hovering. It also logs you into that player's group for group communications. As they move about, small pictures are sent to your 770 about every 10-15 seconds or so, this slow on purpose to prevent crashing the 770 but allow the user to see what's going on (sort of.) You can define how you want to view the action from up to 16 quadrants in a 360 around the character on the fly by merely checking a radio button in the 1-16 checklist area

Screen looks like this....

-------------------------------

Picture Area

Radio Button Viewpoint Selection Area

Text Chat Window area
------------------------------
Small Keyboard here... or reclaim space if BT Keyboard present.
------------------------------

CHAT
All the functions of chat are active except the emotes, since you wouldn't really have a character. As long as you stay connected, though, other gamers inside the real game would see a firefly hovering around their character, and an in-game real Warcraft player can have more than 1 Game Voyeur logged onto them simultaneously, so at some point, some players might have 6 or more fireflies all buzzing around them, indicating their popularity on the outside world.

Benefits to the Warcraft Player:
Having a Game Voyeur along would give the in-game player the ability to A) Be healed once every 10-15 minutes. B) Get a buff of some sort once every 10-15 minutes. C) If a player had 5 or more players buzzing them, they could all pool their powers and perform 1 resurrection 1 time every 4 hours.

IMPOSSIBILITY
This idea can't possibly fly because the Dev would have to get permission from Blizzard, and possibly even some help, in order to create this type of thing and be able to access their servers like this from the outside. They are so paranoid about that they probably would scoff this idea down, but I remain undaunted in at least presenting it. See, the games industry is always looking for some way to increase sales, and perhaps the Game Voyeur could be a $3 a month membership to give them the incentive to support this idea. If they could increase membership in their game merely by having 770 owners log in and become addicted to Warcraft without even having a computer, and if the idea became the hit I believe it would be, then the idea might continue to be revamped and added to, until it was more awesome with each incarnation.

REASONING
Those with a 770 and a BT keyboard could tag along with their gaming buddies, help out with simple spells once in a while, but mostly it just allows us to be involved in the chitchat of gaming without being near our computers. We could be riding along in a car and yet still be "hooked in".... for those of us who can't break free of the addication, anyway. I have the Warcraft itch something fierce. With the Game Voyeur, I could at least participate in the hilarity that my gaming friends come up with every day.

Ceklund
2006-07-06, 19:46
I've changed to portions of the idea under HOW IT WORKS and CHAT, here goes:

HOW IT WORKS:
You log in to a sweet-looking Warcraft shell, select a friend you want to tag along with, and hit Go. Okay, the Game Voyeur then launches you into Warcraft, where you are then attached to the player you will be hovering. If you don't know anyone ingame, it provides a simple meeting place and gives you the chance to chat with gamers and find someone to pair with. It also logs you into that player's group for group communications. As they move about, small pictures are sent to your 770 about as fast as your network and 770 can handle, but no faster than will prevent crashing the 770 but allow the user to see what's going on (sort of.) It works by having a network implant an in-game camera that determines the bandwidth you have, and the speed your PDA can receive files, and then takes 240 x 160 sized pictures (or smaller, if you want them to come faster) of the ingame action and streams them to the PDA Game Voyuer client. As technology improves, and bandwidth for small devices, the image size can get larger and the speed of the images faster, until it feels like you're right there with them. You can define how you want to view the action from up to 16 quadrants in a 360 around the character on the fly by merely checking a radio button in the 1-16 checklist area.

and replace CHAT with :

CHAT
All the functions of WOW chat are active except the emotes, since you wouldn't really have a character. Perhaps there would be one emote like "Flare up" which causes your firefly to emit more light briefly using /flare. As long as you stay connected through your PDA, though, other gamers inside the real game would see an active and moving firefly hovering around their character, and an in-game real Warcraft player can have more than 1 Game Voyeur logged onto them simultaneously, so at some point, some in-game players might have 6 or more fireflies all buzzing around them, indicating their popularity on the outside world.

Benefits to the Warcraft Player:
Having a Game Voyeur along would give the in-game player the ability to A) Be healed once every 10-15 minutes. B) Get a buff of some sort once every 10-15 minutes. C) If a player had 5 or more players buzzing them, they could all pool their powers and perform 1 resurrection 1 time every 4 hours. And D) in really dark areas, there would be more light. A pack of fireflies could also initiate a "Flare up" via /upflare that would cause each of them to flare in sequence for a short duration, creating both spectacle in game and possibly scaring off some of less determined MOBS.

A text blurb would then indicate to you how your influence helped, if so, displaying that your /flare scared off an enemy and saved the person you are hovering, etc.... A little bar would indicate your power level, and show how recharged you are at any given time.
---------------------------

I forwarded the idea to Blizzard, although I am skeptical. I have sent ideas before that were poo-poo'd, but if their response is worthy, I will post it here. Let's keep our fingers crossed, I mean... that is, if any of you even liked the concept, heheheh.

Later.

vims
2006-12-22, 11:37
And? Any News about it?