PDA

View Full Version : Stowaway dead-keys

ikeuchi
2006-07-05, 22:17
Ok, I'm very happy with my bluetooth keyboard and nokia 770. But I´m not an english speaker, and I want to write text in portuguese. The us international layout is not a problem, the issue is about dead keys.
I need chars like ã, õ, ô, ê, é, á, à , ç, ü, ó, í, and so on...

Well, I can do that, I sure. But I want the easy way. Certainly there are chaps more used with the nokia 770 debian linux 3.1 than me, so I ask, what is the better way?

-Hack some X configuration file and enable dead-keys
-xmodmap, perhaps?
-xset770? I saw this command only for key repeat disable.
-Write my own text editor with Glade and Python or C, and trap keys commands by myself (and don´t sleep by months).
-None of above, try this (you tell me).

I tried OS 2006, where in fact there is portuguese support, but the bluetooth keyboard is not supported yet, and I'm waiting for some good soul to compile and pack the bluetooth keyboard application. But as far I remember, there is no support for dead-keys either.

Well, any idea is good.
And by the way, Zinedine Zidane bastard... Portugual and Brazil deserved more... I hope that the italians scores 4 against France.

Alla Vitoria Azzurra!!! Caricat!

wmhobbes
2006-07-05, 22:41
I tried OS 2006, where in fact there is portuguese support, but the bluetooth keyboard is not supported yet, and I'm waiting for some good soul to compile and pack the bluetooth keyboard application. But as far I remember, there is no support for dead-keys either.

http://www.windmill.it/share/public/maemo/maemo-bt-plugin_0.4.0-2_armel.deb

be warned that it's still an early attempt at it and there are many weirdnesses both in the plugin itself and in the underlying handling of external input method by the OS (including a reboot of the system related to the Google applet), problems that will be hopefully fixed soon.

The packages includes xmodmap binary and the ability of loading xmodmap keyboard maps on connection of bluetooth device.

BTW: it's just a port of the original bt-plugin, no original work added so far except for reading the IT2006 porting guidelines :)

fpp
2006-07-05, 22:49
And by the way, Zinedine Zidane bastard... Portugual and Brazil deserved more... I hope that the italians scores 4 against France.

Besides being off topic, that's not very fair play, is it ?...

ikeuchi
2006-07-06, 12:19
Hey! Thanks a lot! I'll try the bluetooth stuff for OS 2006. Do you need help? I have experience as C/C++ programmer... My work is killing me, but I can try to spare some time for help. Just ask.

And about fairplay... man, the french bought the game against Portugal, that penalty never existed. The fifa judge was wearing a blue french shirt under the black coat!!!
And when I say "bastard Zidane", well, the guy is awesome... He is the only to cut our dreams twice! We call the defeat day as "Z Day"... and specially we call that saturday as "Lost - second season" . Sorry about the off topic, it´s the passion...

fpp
2006-07-09, 20:45
So, feeling better now ? :-)

mpancorbo
2006-07-10, 11:00
http://www.windmill.it/share/public/maemo/maemo-bt-plugin_0.4.0-2_armel.deb

I think it is not IT2006 compliant. I've received error from installer "it can't be installed on this system" or so.

ikeuchi
2006-07-10, 16:03
So, the bluetooth works fine for me, no errors. After upgrade to OS2006 I installed and all ran smooth.
But, no dead-keys yet... Nobody knows where is the xorg.conf of the 770?
When you use the tablet on screen keyboard you have dead-keys, but with the stowaway, no deal.
I'll try xmodmap a little bit more... This is my bet.

ikeuchi
2006-07-11, 16:00
xmodmap "compose" keyword doesn't work...
Well, see this example:

keycode 49 = dead_tilde
compose '~' 'a' to 'ã'
compose '~' ' ' to '~'
compose '~' 'o' to 'õ'

If you try to run with this map file the xmodmap will complain about the "compose"...