PDA

View Full Version : Localepurge for Diablo.

qwerty12
2008-10-26, 16:38
This is just a simple script to recover diskspace wasted for unneeded locale files and localized man pages. It will automagically be invoked upon completion of any apt installation run.

localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 22897K

Fixed localepurge to work for maemo thanks to sparr and timeless.

Install pcregrep from http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo4.1.1/free/p/pcre3/ and colour-ls from http://www.nitapps.com/dists/chinook/user/binary-armel/color_ls_1.0-1_armel.deb

After that, install the attached deb.

If you use a language on your device that is not english, it is IMPORTANT that you edit /etc/locale.nopurge and add your locale code there before running localepurge or using apt-get.

After that, run "localepurge && docpurge" in a terminal and watch the diskspace come back :).

qwerty12
2008-10-26, 17:02
Here's deborphan too.

deborphan finds "orphaned" packages on your system. It determines which packages have no other packages depending on their installation and shows you a list of these packages. It is most useful when finding libraries, but it can be used on packages in all sections.

& Cruft

cruft is a program to look over your system for anything that shouldn't be there, but is; or for anything that should be there, but isn't.

It bases most of its results on dpkg's database, as well as a list of `extra files' that can appear during the lifetime of various packages.

cruft is still in pre-release; your assistance in improving its accuracy and performance is appreciated.

gemniii42
2008-10-26, 21:07
"Incompatible application package" for all. Any suggestions?
/edit - running 4.2008.30-2 and a lot of apps.

qwerty12
2008-10-26, 21:38
It's because the section isn't user/* so the application manager throws that message. open up a xterm and become root and use dpkg -i <deb> to install :)

Btw, cruft doesn't work properly with busybox find and rm...

peteblack
2008-10-27, 00:48
This is just a simple script to recover diskspace wasted for unneeded locale files and localized man pages.

Looks like it took some of the hildon related locales or l10ns, so I advise anyone to take a backup first.

qwerty12
2008-10-27, 03:13
That's odd :/. I've still got my hildon-* & osso-* files in /usr/share/locale/en_GB/LC_MESSAGES/. Any specific program not displaying the localised strings? Either way, sorry about what happened.

peteblack
2008-10-27, 03:44
qwerty12,

Thanks, looks like it was my bad. Just re-ran and it didn't touch my /usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES. Probably misconfigured locale.nopurge.

Question though; I've seen some localepurge that take command line options, such as this Gentoo version.

localepurge -h
localepurge for Gentoo Linux [ 0.5.3.2 ]
by bass@gentoo.org

* Remember that you must edit /etc/locale.nopurge

* Usage: localepurge [options]

* -debug (-d) : debug mode.
* -help (-h) : show this help.
* -list (-l) : list directories to be cleared
* -nocolor (-nc) : no color mode.
* -pretend (-p) : pretend mode.
* -verbose (-v) : verbose mode.
* -version : show version.

Is this deb based on a particular distribution's version or the pure script? I'm too lazy to look in the deb file ;).

Thanks again.
Pete

qwerty12
2008-10-27, 06:31
qwerty12,

Thanks, looks like it was my bad. Just re-ran and it didn't touch my /usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES. Probably misconfigured locale.nopurge.

Question though; I've seen some localepurge that take command line options, such as this Gentoo version.

Is this deb based on a particular distribution's version or the pure script? I'm too lazy to look in the deb file ;).

Thanks again.
Pete

Yeah, this is based of an (old?) Debian specific localepurge. I'd have offered to update it to a newer one from debian repo's but it seems like running "localepurge -h" on my Ubuntu desktop does nothing.

Regards,
Faheem

allnameswereout
2008-11-25, 15:18
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 14799K

Thats 14+ MB. Thank you!

Munk
2008-11-27, 22:39
Hmmm, I'm having problems installing "cruft" with an error of "Application packages missing: file"

Any suggestions?

belanger
2008-11-29, 18:52
http://www.nitapps.com has been down for a while. Is there another source for color_ls (needed by localepurge)?

Saturn
2008-11-30, 13:15
http://www.nitapps.com has been down for a while. Is there another source for color_ls (needed by localepurge)?

Here is a local copy I had..
don't know if it was the latest but that's what I have and it works.

HIH

belanger
2008-11-30, 15:11
Thanks, Saturn. It worked great.

I've been freeing up space on my N800. So thanks a lot, qwerty12; these programs are much appreciated.

joeD
2008-12-29, 21:58
It's because the section isn't user/* so the application manager throws that message. open up a xterm and become root and use dpkg -i <deb> to install :)

Btw, cruft doesn't work properly with busybox find and rm...

so how does this work? do I need to download the two deb files before hand and then run dpkg -i in xterm, or am I suppose to setup a repository first. also, what code precisely should I type.

dpkg -i <name of deb here>? or does it need to be something else? i can't seem to get it to work and would like to clear up some memory with localepurge. thanks for the help

joe

Bingley Joe
2010-01-13, 17:43
Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 11172K

That's great! Thanks for this, qwerty12 :)

i can't seem to get it to work and would like to clear up some memory with localepurge. thanks for the help

joe

In my case I had to install an additional package, as I got an installation error when installing pcregrep that said it depended on libpcre3 (which I didn't have installed), and so would not be setup.

This then caused a similar problem when I tried to install localepurge, as it requires pcregrep to be setup.

I installed libpcre3 from the same directory as pcregrep was found in, and reinstalled all the other packages and everything worked after that.

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo4.1.1/free/p/pcre3/

You might find that's what's holding you up (although don't just take my word for it -- check the output in your XTerm to make sure)

Cobra
2010-02-02, 23:57
will this work on n900

Bingley Joe
2010-02-03, 01:40
will this work on n900

Works beautifully