PDA

View Full Version : GIZMO Project Voip Client

dattani98
2006-07-14, 01:21
Guys - the Gizmo project has just released their voip client for the 770 here:
Gizmo Project (http://www.gizmoproject.com/nokia770/)

I'm off to download!!!!!!! :D :D

ilia
2006-07-14, 02:02
ye it looks pretty good so far. Thanks Gizmo guys!

Scurzuzu
2006-07-14, 02:09
Installed without problems, and I was able to log in to my existing account and place a call to a landline in less than 30 seconds. Wow! I did experience a slight audio delay during the call, but the other party said I sounded "surprisingly clear."

Gizmo Project rocks!

omegaone37
2006-07-14, 02:13
There is a God... and his name is Gizmo!!!

Omega
omegaone37@mac.com

shoegoo
2006-07-14, 02:15
I am not able to create an account with the new client. Is that through some fault of my own or are others having this problem? I have turned on logging, but I am still in the process of locating where the log is stored.

penguinbait
2006-07-14, 02:39
I am not able to create an account with the new client. Is that through some fault of my own or are others having this problem? I have turned on logging, but I am still in the process of locating where the log is stored.

no problems here, installed , created new account from 770, also made a call in about 30 seconds. seems pretty cool, I wish the gtalk client had this much functionality, hopefully there working feverishly to get a better client.

dattani98
2006-07-14, 03:34
Guys - tried the callwave area 775 number and its a bit tricky - the best thing to do is sign up at IPKALL to get a FREE US number and then configure your IPKALL account to forward your calls to your GIZMO

Details on how to do this are here (http://forum.gizmoproject.com/viewtopic.php?p=10119#10119)

Its totally free and works better than the callwave number - no credit card needed and you answer in realtime. It has other features such as voicemail too...

Enjoy! :)

acdczip
2006-07-14, 03:52
Downloaded 30 minute ago and just finish making couple of phone calls on the n770. It was so damn easy, it makes all the other communication stuff out there seems like rocket science. There was a little lack but the speaker was loud and clear and I was told the other sides receiption was a bit faint. Only if I have a BT headset. Are BT headsets working for the N770?

bradpitcher
2006-07-14, 09:03
I read on gizmoproject's site that it can be run on broadband and dialup speeds, but it doesn't seem to function currectly for me although a speed test tell me my speed is 163 kbps down and 40 kbps up. That's faster than dialup isn't it? Great product anyway.

spycedtx
2006-07-14, 09:08
Guys - tried the callwave area 775 number and its a bit tricky - the best thing to do is sign up at IPKALL to get a FREE US number and then configure your IPKALL account to forward your calls to your GIZMO

Details on how to do this are here (http://forum.gizmoproject.com/viewtopic.php?p=10119#10119)

Its totally free and works better than the callwave number - no credit card needed and you answer in realtime. It has other features such as voicemail too...

Enjoy! :)

I second that! It's not so much that it's tricky.. but, if you opt for the free phone #, you have 'mandatory' call screening. With the 770 gizmo dialpad not sending out the required "1" to accept the call, rather than listen to the message being left in voicemail, it's essentially useless... and I wasn't about to pony up money for the other features (with everyone on cell phones, long distance is really an obsolete issue). So, i killed the account and went with IPKALL. much loving it.

mpancorbo
2006-07-14, 09:27
Please, quick tell me about this SIP-world. I understand the VoIP as closed networks of users (like Skype or GTalk); but Gizmo claims contacting GTalk users.

Is Gizmo "yet another" VoIP close network? If not, may I use it with my GTalk identifier?

TIA

xEggbert
2006-07-14, 09:29
Anyone gotten this working with their Asterisk server? I have tried following the explanations for the normal gizmo clients but I think they have a dual login feature that the 770 client does not have....

penguinbait
2006-07-14, 14:27
:confused:

I setup my ipkall number, if I call it rings on the 770, but if I answer, no sounds are coming in any direction ????

Am I doing something wrong ???

dattani98
2006-07-14, 14:48
penguinbait - I'm having similar issues. Have had some success by tweaking my firewall/router, but at the moment i've got ipkall ringing to gtalk.

May be worthwhile raising a support ticket now that the problem has been confirmed.

callout works perfectly though which is weird....

penguinbait
2006-07-14, 15:24
My outbound calls also work

mwiktowy
2006-07-14, 17:28
Please, quick tell me about this SIP-world. I understand the VoIP as closed networks of users (like Skype or GTalk); but Gizmo claims contacting GTalk users.

Is Gizmo "yet another" VoIP close network? If not, may I use it with my GTalk identifier?

TIA

SIP is an open VoIP protocol. Many VoIP services use it but not all are completely "open" (Vonage comes to mind here). Gizmo openly peers their SIP service with other open services (like Free World Dialup et al) so you can call from one to the other. Whereas Vonage may use the open SIP protocol but don't allow any other services to access their users or vice versa.

Gizmo uses SIP for voice and jabber for IM.
Gtalk uses Jabber for IM and an extension of Jabber (XMPP) for voice.
That overlap allows both groups to IM each other but for voice you need the appropriate client (for now).
See http://www.gizmoproject.com/google-talk.html

I like Gizmo on the desktop and I use it extensively on both Linux and Windows. After using it a bit last night, and functionally, the implementation on the 770 is really good. My only complaints would be:
- that it is huge for the 770 (8MB+)
- that it is not integrated with the new contacts and presence infrustructure. It looks like it could be and should be just a protocol plugin but it isn't. It is a separate fat app.
- while gtalk's echo cancellation is a bit too aggressive, Gizmo's is not aggressive enough. There is a happy medium in there somewhere but I prefer Gizmo's EC to GTalk's. The caller may hear an echo but at least they hear you too.

Some tips for new Gizmo users:
There is an echo test user at "echo" to test your connection and volume settings.
The conference lines are at "conf_#" (IIRC) or 1222# where # is a random, up to 7 digit, integer of your choosing. Conference security through obscurity.
There is a good forum on the Gizmo site for user help. Do some searching before posting as there is a lot of info in the archives.

Edit: echo test user should have been "echo" and not "echo123" like that other VoIP software ...

fpp
2006-07-14, 17:58
I already have a SIP provider with my net access. Why can't we have a simple, free sip client on the 770 that isn't tied to a specific network ?

dcarter
2006-07-14, 18:15
penguinbait - I'm having similar issues. Have had some success by tweaking my firewall/router, but at the moment i've got ipkall ringing to gtalk.

May be worthwhile raising a support ticket now that the problem has been confirmed.

callout works perfectly though which is weird....

Same problem here...I thought it was 'cause I didn't have any credits, so I bought 10.00 credits (I can use up 1000 minutes in a year...)but that wasn't it.

Attaching it to the ipkall number works, but when receiving calls into it from the new number, it rings, I answer, and there is no voice either direction.

INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH, I loaded gizmo up my laptop (windoze), called into it using my new ipkall number, (both the nokia and my laptop rang- cute...) and IT WORKED...

.....that is, calling into my laptop with gizmo thru the ipkall number I recieved results in a successful 2-way call, with 1/8 seconds latency.

NOT SO with the Nokia. Perhaps I should try to get an incoming phone number thru Gizmo since I already ponied up the 10 bucks.....

Good software. Heavy, but good.

DCarter

dattani98
2006-07-14, 18:32
yep....i did that last night and it worked on my laptop but not on the 770.

I've raised a ticket at siphone

DC - let me know if the CALLIN number works

dcarter
2006-07-14, 18:55
yep....i did that last night and it worked on my laptop but not on the 770.

I've raised a ticket at siphone

DC - let me know if the CALLIN number works

them's peeps want 12 dollars for 3 months or 35$$ for a year..... :eek:
don't know if I want to pay it..... :cool:

DCarter

NokNok770
2006-07-14, 20:07
I set up IPKall...and it seem to be working, but I have no sound. Is there some port that needs to be open on the access point for gizmo to work? I can see the phone number on my caller id in gizmo and all...but no sound.

johsua
2006-07-14, 21:40
this happened to me last night as well. i uninstalled gizmo and reinstalled. it's now working for me.

mpancorbo
2006-07-14, 22:28
Ok. Thanks for the guidance.

BTW, l see all this Gizmo and so on more advanced in USA than in Europe.

NokNok770
2006-07-14, 23:55
Ok,I reload it and it did not help. I still can't hear anything when I receive calls.

dattani98
2006-07-15, 17:01
Ok,I reload it and it did not help. I still can't hear anything when I receive calls.

OK...have managed to get it to work - the problem is caused by routers with firewalls built in, as certain ports need to be open/forwarded.

What I did first was turn off the router's built in firewall. I then configured my Netgear router to assign a static IP to the 770 each time I connect - I set it as 192.168.1.5

I then followed the instructions from this port forwarding site here (http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm)

Select your router and then select 'Gizmo project' from the list of programs and then follow the instructions to forward ports 5004, 5005 and then 64064.

When someone calls my IPKALL Washington number it now rings on my GIZMO and I have sound both ways. There's a tiny delay but overall - its great. (and its FREE). So now I receive calls via IPKALL which I configured from my log-in page on IPKALL.com using the SIP number (without the dashes etc. Just 1747xxxxxxx from the account profile page on Gizmo) and the proxy of proxy01.sipphone.com. I disabled voicemail on IPKALL as well seeing that Gizmo also has it and I dont need two.

Dump the callwave number - its not worth the hassle.

Have Fun!! ;)

Mara
2006-07-15, 18:58
Dattani98,

Thanks for the tip. I tried that with my Linksys router. I set up the ports as described but still it does not work (no sound on incoming calls, but outgoing calls work fine). In fact when the Linksys had no port forwarding settings at all, it worked the same.

However, if that is the case that port forwarding is required it renders this service more or less useless: That's because you can not use it anywhere else than at your home... Most cases I'd use this service is "on the go"...

dcarter
2006-07-15, 18:59
Pretty good, dattani98!!!

It worked for me- now my land line is my Nokia770. At least at home, any call to my ipkall number (a Washington State area code....) results in the Gizmo trill, and when I pick up, IT WORKS BOTH WAYS!!!

Thanks for the instructions and the link....

I suppose if someone calls in when I am not on my home wireless, when I am connected to a network where I do not have the luxury to forward an application port, I could just let it answer, and (since voice probably will not transmit) just call them back or let them leave a voice message attachment auto-forwarded to my email address.

For now, that is quite an excuse for screening my calls---non??!? :p

added on edit due to the post before mine: I also disabled the automatic firewall on the wireless side of my router, since I (finally) started registering and entering specific MAC addresses AND assigned static IP addresses for my PC's, Nokia included...
----The success with in/out ipkall voice transmission did NOT work until I disabled the hardware firewall.

DCarter

Mara
2006-07-15, 19:19
Pretty good, dattani98!!!

It worked for me- now my land line is my Nokia770. At least at home, any call to my ipkall number (a Washington State area code....) results in the Gizmo trill, and when I pick up, IT WORKS BOTH WAYS!!!

Thanks for the instructions and the link....

I suppose if someone calls in when I am not on my home wireless, when I am connected to a network where I do not have the luxury to forward an application port, I could just let it answer, and (since voice probably will not transmit) just call them back or let them leave a voice message attachment auto-forwarded to my email address.

For now, that is quite an excuse for screening my calls---non??!? :p

added on edit due to the post before mine: I also disabled the automatic firewall on the wireless side of my router, since I (finally) started registering and entering specific MAC addresses AND assigned static IP addresses for my PC's, Nokia included...
----The success with in/out ipkall voice transmission did NOT work until I disabled the hardware firewall.

DCarter

DCarter:

Nice to hear it did work for you. I guess the harware firewall may be the reason it did not work for me? I did not try disabling it. What router do you have? I'm afraid I can not go to the static IP settings because one of my network boxes (Vonage VoIP adapter) does not have capability to set up static IP for it. It is Motorola adapter, if someone knows how to login into it and set up static IP?

I haven't installed the PC client to my home computer. If I have read and understood previous posts correctly the PC client works fine without these specific port forwardings? Is that correct? If it is, then there should be some specific bug in the Nokia770 client that prohibits it to work properly... I'm sure Gizmoproject developers are (should be?) aware of this now and working on a fix. Until then I may just wait until the bug is fixed.

dcarter
2006-07-15, 19:27
Yeah, granted that my laptop (and others' pc's) work fine in and out with the ipkall#, it is EITHER a bug OR specifically that LINUX pc's do in fact need additional configuration in order to integrate the ipkall number with gizmo functionality.

Someone with a Linux desktop or laptop could install Gizmo and see if it works in/out calls (voice included!!! :cool: ) with the ipkall # they recieved and configured to work within Gizmo.

That way, we could isolate the problem either to Linux boxes in general or to the Nokia 770 in particular (or at least Maemo OS..)

By the way, I am using an airlink101 525W router. I hated it until I was able to configure it today. Now, it's stock is rising a bit...

DCarter

dattani98
2006-07-15, 19:54
sorry - I forgot to mention that I DID turn off the router's auto firewall which is why it probably didnt work for Mara.

will edit the instructions

TechnoDoc
2006-07-16, 00:52
Does anyone know of a free service like IPKall that has more than just Washington state phone numbers / area codes available?

dcarter
2006-07-16, 01:25
[[QDoes anyone know of a free service like IPKall that
has
more than just Washington state phone numbers / area codes available?

I have no problem residing in California and using a Washington State phone number...it works just fine (especially with the settings outlined earlier in this thread- try it- it is free and you'll like it!

Dcarter

TechnoDoc
2006-07-16, 02:03
I'm sure it works just fine. What I would like is my local area code so that when I am traveling, my family can call my Nokia as a local call.

NokNok770
2006-07-17, 13:32
Having to set up port forwarding makes this thing almost useless. I'm able to connect to access points around town here but can't receive incoming calls.

But if the PC gizmo client doesn't need port forwarding, the N770 shouldn't either (I haven't use the PC version). Hope they fix this so we can enjoy gizmo everywhere.

Good find dattani. I can receive calls now while I'm at home. There is a huge lag though between picking up and answering the call and actually hearing the phone call. So long in fact that people might think it's a dropped call and hang up.

penguinbait
2006-07-17, 17:13
My incomming calls are working at work but not at home. I am running a Redhat AS 3.0 as my firewall at home on Comcast cable, at work its a small cisco router with a fractional t1. I will need to review my logs in real time at home, but apparently port forwarding is not necessary as its working for me from work.

Patnet
2006-07-17, 19:45
Dialpad Touch Tones don't appear to work within a call. Can't switch off the incoming landline number voicemail which makes it no good for being in a call hunt.

Patnet
2006-07-17, 20:02
Does anyone know of a free service like IPKall that has more than just Washington state phone numbers / area codes available?

Why don't you just use Gizmo's free incoming landline feature? It's a Nevada number.

dattani98
2006-07-21, 17:46
Has anyone else had an experience with Gizmo that they'd like to share?

spycedtx
2006-07-21, 17:49
Why don't you just use Gizmo's free incoming landline feature? It's a Nevada number.

the problem with the free nevada line is that is has mandatory call screening. to 'answer' the call while it's being screened, you need to be able to press "1". This is fine on the pc client, but it doesn't work on the 770 (or, at least it hasn't worked for me).

i quickly ditched the area747 line and went with ipkall.

Milhouse
2006-07-21, 17:56
I can't login - fails with a login error :(

Gizmo works fine on a PC using the same login so it doesn't appear to be a firewall/ports issue, but on the 770 Gizmo gives a login error after "Starting User Agent".

Have sent the debug logs to email address mentioned in the Gizmo knowledge base but haven't received any reply.

ioan
2006-07-21, 17:56
I wish somebody will port to nokia770 a simple sip phone without all the "features" the gizmo has...

fpp
2006-07-21, 18:50
That makes a couple of us. I find it hard to understand why there isn't one yet, and an official one from Nokia, given all the in-house, OSS stuff they have in their drawers (tapioca et al)...

Patnet
2006-07-24, 15:53
I'm also finding that in a noisy environment having a speaker-phone-only app is problematic. It's cutting in and out. It's almost like you've got to evaluate how noisy the environment is before using it over a cell phone to you ear.

Patnet
2006-07-24, 15:59
the problem with the free nevada line is that is has mandatory call screening. to 'answer' the call while it's being screened, you need to be able to press "1". This is fine on the pc client, but it doesn't work on the 770 (or, at least it hasn't worked for me).

i quickly ditched the area747 line and went with ipkall.

Can you switch the voicemail off with Ipkall? I can get my main Vonage number to simultaneously ring my landline in my house and my 770 (or my cell for that matter) the problem is finding the voicemails. They could be anywhere.

dattani98
2006-07-24, 16:17
when you log in to your ipkall account, uncheck the box that says voicemail. All voicemail from unanswered calls will now be on Gizmo (as long as its been enabled in the settings)/callwave.

Dr. Hood
2006-07-29, 23:15
[QThat makes a couple of us. I find it hard to understand why there
isn't one yet, and an official one from Nokia, given all the in-house, OSS stuff
they have in their drawers (tapioca et al)...

I just want to add that I wish for a simple SIP client because I already have VOIP service.

Regards

Patnet
2006-08-14, 08:58
I can't get Gizmo to stop picking up. If I use the Gizmo in number, voicemail picks up and if I use the SIP number via Ipkall Gizmo just announces voicemail isn't set up. If the 770 is out of range of a W-Fi, Gizmo just announces I'm not online. This doesn't work for my ap which is to simultaneously ring the 770 and my Vonage home phone. Basically the 770 is useless for call hunting and is a great example of a technology that hasn't been thought through for an application.