PDA

View Full Version : what apps do you want

Cloud8
2006-07-17, 05:05
I used to have most of what I needed under 2005 SE. Since I've upgraded to 2006 SE I've been missing a couple things I used and I'm hoping they will be updated to work with the 2006 SE.
So I'm just curious: what apps are other people waiting for/hoping will be updated?

I really loved Sdict Viewer and Jpilot. I also appreciated Gnumeric although I rarely used it; it worked perfectly for me.

If I could get those, good keyboard support and maybe a version of Abiword that had some features and didn't crash, there'd be nothing else I'd want out of my 770.

fpp
2006-07-17, 05:44
Personally what I'd like to see is something that wasn't available for 2005 either : a true independent sip softphone that isn't tied to Google or Gizmo or whatever. Nokia has all the bits in its toolchest but...

andras
2006-07-17, 07:22
A SIP phone would be great. A BT headset driver would be even better. A BT keyboard plugin that didn't have to be removed on occasion to install other apps (like the gizmo softphone). And above all else, a decent email application.

Karel Jansens
2006-07-17, 08:43
Abiword!!! Gnumeric!!! Working BT keyboard!!! A Usenet newsreader!!!

Ideally, I'd like to see SoftMaker port their excellent TextMaker (wordprocessor) and PlanMaker (spreadsheet) to the 770 platform, but they've already told me they won't do it (which is actually weird, as they have versions of their software for the Zaurus platform, which makes it almost trivial to port them to Maemo).

fpp
2006-07-17, 09:08
Come on Karel, you know that newsreader exists for 2006 :-)

Maybe SoftMaker had a bad experience with their Zaurus port (I don't recall them ever actually going commercial after their beta round ?) and that makes them wary of other platforms...

count zero
2006-07-17, 09:54
I only need Gnumeric for 2006 at the moment.

bcvthul
2006-07-17, 10:33
Apple: iSync support to sync iCal and a PIM application

Thanks,

BC

Karel Jansens
2006-07-17, 10:58
Come on Karel, you know that newsreader exists for 2006 :-)

Maybe SoftMaker had a bad experience with their Zaurus port (I don't recall them ever actually going commercial after their beta round ?) and that makes them wary of other platforms...

Pan appears to be not good enough. (yet, hopefully)

Re SoftMaker: even if that were the case, they still have generic Linux versions of all their office apps. Heck, they even continue to support the (as far as Microsoft is concerned) defunct Handheld PC platform. I think we just need to nag them sufficiently.

Seriously: if SoftMaker would be more cooperative, this office suite would be truly amazing for the platform-challenged. The different versions of their programs are exactly the same, not a mean feat in programming land. I've tried TextMaker on Windows, Linux and Windows CE.net 4.1 (Siemens SimPad): all versions are identical.

Skabshumanist
2006-07-17, 11:35
Let's see: A PIM with sync facilities. Gnumeric. Password Safe. Multi-format file viewer.

frethop
2006-07-17, 11:45
Java!

Yeah, I know it's a performance hog and I know there are other languages zealots will tout instead. But there are multiplatform apps that would look absolutely great on a 770 that are written in Java. And there's some nice functionality from Java that could be harnessed for the 770.

Jamvm would be good. It was working on OS 2005.

-F

fpp
2006-07-17, 11:46
Pan appears to be not good enough. (yet, hopefully)

How can you still insist on this without even having tried it out ?
All you have is the feedback of one user who says it doesn't work (in so many words), and of another (me) who took the time to try it, write it down, and post screenshots of it working (at your request, and with not much in the way of thanks, BTW). This is beyond me.

Karel Jansens
2006-07-17, 16:19
How can you still insist on this without even having tried it out ?
All you have is the feedback of one user who says it doesn't work (in so many words), and of another (me) who took the time to try it, write it down, and post screenshots of it working (at your request, and with not much in the way of thanks, BTW). This is beyond me.

"I've snipped your very helpful review" (07-14-2006, 05:11 PM #22). But, in case I wasn't clear enough: Thank you very much for your review.

Better now? :cool:

And there are things lacking in Pan: no PDA newsreader should default to downloading the newsgroups list; it probably can do with memory trimming as well. It's current state is not bad as a starting point, but there's a lot of work to be done. And I can't try Pan, because I don't have 2006 ITOS installed yet (which I cannot do because I really need Abiword and Gnumeric).

And, again: I'm no programmer, so at the moment there's not much more I can do besides whine. I'd really like someone to tell me how I can help to get Pan 770-ready.

Karel Jansens
2006-07-17, 16:21
@ fpp:

Whoops! I forgot: the Zaurus port of TextMaker 2002 is still available (no beta, fully commercial), but SoftMaker never ported PlanMaker to the Zaurus platform (my bad).

ITom
2006-07-17, 17:15
My wishes:
1. Alarm! (3 alarms with day of week selection and repetition)
2. Video Player (idependent from resolution)
(may be it is possible to add blank lines for dividing by 16 before DSP like it done in DivXG400-Matrox utility for Windows)
3. Gnumeric (with macros support)
4. Skype

penguinbait
2006-07-17, 17:21
Turn it sideways and split the screen, touchpad would even work, that would be awesome.

OK OK, Back to reality, I would really like to see some game emulators, Nintendo, super nintendo,sega genesis, Mame

:D :D :D

Ceklund
2006-07-17, 17:47
1) Flash 8 or better. Nokia's OWN phone websites are in Flash 7, which prevents 770 owners from shopping at Nokia from their 770's... how stupid is that? If their Tablet only supports 6, all of their own sites should stay 6!

2) A good image viewer with slideshow capabilities and your basic crop, scale, rotate, and batch rename options. Like Irfanview.

3) A real Multimedia player, like Irfanview, that has built-in codec support to recognize Realplayer, Divx, Quicktime, and Microsoft's .WMV format since 50% of the internet seems to use that format and the 770 can't view it, doh!

4) WinRar.... or I suppose it would have to be renamed for Linux to LinRar, heh...

5) a good Zip extractor.

6) A Midi player... someone was working on one for OS2005, but I'm not sure where it went. I have 100’s of 30k songs that take up no room but can play for hours that are perfect for small-memory devices.

7) Bubble Bobble the game. Was scheduled for 770, but died.

8) A YouTube.com standalone player that works with that site on the 770.

bac522
2006-07-17, 17:54
Instead of putting request here, you should be putting them at http://www.maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalog2006Wishlist. What would be nice through if there was someway to proritize the wish list based on request.

ilia
2006-07-17, 18:03
-BT headset support
-support for large images, say 1MB.

Cloud8
2006-07-17, 18:22
I think we can both put requests on the wishlist and discuss them here.
I was personally just curious about what people had used that didn't work anymore, but it's turned into a much more interesting thread.
Either way it's always enlightening to hear what people want to be able to do with the 770 since it has so much potential. And there's always a slim chance that it can already do some of those things and I just haven't heard about it.

Karl Jansens: It sounds like you've actually gotten abiword to work for you under the 2005 SE; where did you get it? I could never get the one at maemo.org to work.

omegaone37
2006-07-17, 20:48
What I'd like to see...

StartCar.app ...while I'm still in bed :rolleyes:
WashClothes.app
OrderFromMcDonalds.app

...just to name a few :D :D :D

Omega
omegaone37@mac.com

fpp
2006-07-17, 21:15
And there are things lacking in Pan: no PDA newsreader should default to downloading the newsgroups list; it probably can do with memory trimming as well. It's current state is not bad as a starting point, but there's a lot of work to be done. And I can't try Pan, because I don't have 2006 ITOS installed yet (which I cannot do because I really need Abiword and Gnumeric).
And, again: I'm no programmer, so at the moment there's not much more I can do besides whine. I'd really like someone to tell me how I can help to get Pan 770-ready.
Actually it doesn't quite default to downloading the newsgroups list : it does *ask*.
The problem is that if you answer "no" there is no way (at least I didn't find any) to manually add or subscribe to a particular newsgroup by name :-)

If the configuration file was in standard "newsrc" format this wouldn't be a problem - it's a straightforward text file you can easily edit. But Pan's seem specific, somewhat binary, and an (admittedly quick) search of the Pan website didn't yield any info on that format.

I would say the n°1 task that would go more than halfway in making Pan a good 770 utility, is finding a way to easily make lists of subscribed newsgroups, the way we could with newsrc files. Once that huge useless list of newsgroups is eliminated, the software becomes quite usable, even zippy.

The other half would be mostly Hildon integration (full screen, taskbar icon etc.). I'm not sure the memory footprint is really such a problem apart from the full group list.

fpp
2006-07-17, 21:17
@ fpp:

Whoops! I forgot: the Zaurus port of TextMaker 2002 is still available (no beta, fully commercial), but SoftMaker never ported PlanMaker to the Zaurus platform (my bad).
Okay - I remember the flurry of excitement when the beta came out, I was following the ZUG forums at the time, but I don't recall any outcry when it actually went commercial, so I wasn't sure. And indeed it was all about TextMaker, I had never even heard of PlanMaker.

timmins
2006-07-18, 02:44
A morning alarm clock that can be set for different times for different days of the week.

That's all I want... please?

tdmajic
2006-07-18, 05:38
a bt keyboard plug-in that doesn't crash if i think of using the enter key, google applet, oh yeah works w/ google talk!! any ideas?

thankx

HeTi
2006-07-18, 08:27
Wote for Gnumeric !!!

I used it in my work, so 2006 SE no go for me ;(