PDA

View Full Version : Stickied "I bought device y instead of a tablet" thread

GeneralAntilles
2008-11-15, 17:11
Is anybody else tired of the never ending "I'm so self-centered I think everybody needs to know which device I've decided to use, and exactly why Nokia's tablets suck" threads? I am, and I'd like to see them gathered into a single thread we can just ignore instead of dozens of threads.

So, can we get a stickied "Yes, I think people care what I spend my money on" thread much like the N810 review thread and end the nonsense?

dan67sf
2008-11-15, 18:02
I second the motion.

fms
2008-11-15, 18:52
You can effectively shorten this title to "I am bitter now".

tso
2008-11-15, 19:11
i wonder, is there a central forum for competing products where people pop in and talk about why they got their N8*0 rather then product x?

or is this a ITT fenomena?

Jaffa
2008-11-15, 19:55
I don't have a problem with threads in the "Competitors" section giving actual user experiences on device X, compared with an N8x0.

But not all the threads are that well formed...

BoxOfSnoo
2008-11-15, 20:29
i wonder, is there a central forum for competing products where people pop in and talk about why they got their N8*0 rather then product x?

or is this a ITT fenomena?

Nothing else has the untapped potential as the n8x0.

qole
2008-11-15, 23:07
I'd be very interested to know why this happens so often here on ITt. Is it entirely unique, or can you find it on Zaurus forums, or iPhone (spit!) forums?

Perhaps there's an historical precedent to be found in previous platforms that developed fanatical hobbiest communities around them, such as the Amiga?

What about Mac forums? This has gotta happen there a lot.

speculatrix
2008-11-15, 23:19
I'd be very interested to know why this happens so often here on ITt. Is it entirely unique, or can you find it on Zaurus forums, or iPhone (spit!) forums?

we don't get it so much on the zaurus forums, partly because they're a lot quiter these days, and in its heyday there really weren't (m)any serious alternative(s). the Z officially ceased manufacture early 2007, but Sharp carried making small batches till beginning of this year, so now there's virtually no new stock. Thus not many people can actually say I bought something else instead of a Z.

we do get people who leave and get an eee, sometimes a MID, sometimes a Nokia tablet, but many hang on to their Zs and use them for other purposes (me, for example). I think if the 810 had a better keyboard, we'd have had more defectors.

BrentDC
2008-11-15, 23:58

Perhaps there's an historical precedent to be found in previous platforms that developed fanatical hobbiest communities around them, such as the Amiga?

What about Mac forums? This has gotta happen there a lot.

Although I haven't been a regular member of a whole lot of forums, I've been a regular on a couple mobile-technology related places, most notably 1src and Brighthand, and I would have to say this is extremely abnormal.

I can't remember a single instance, not one, where a non-regular member has posted about buying an alternate device.

It just doesn't make sense. What would posses a person to join a forum and post, most likely a single topic, of why they didn't buy the technology/device that that forum is dedicated to?

Strange...

allnameswereout
2008-11-16, 01:28
I don't have a problem with threads in the "Competitors" section giving actual user experiences on device X, compared with an N8x0.

But not all the threads are that well formed...Formatting can be increased with active moderating and guidelines.

I think it is a good thing people are able to compare with competitors, but we need to keep the signal to noise ratio high with the flames low. The way GA describes the example in his post is pretty flameish; however not all posts of this type are flames.

Double threads are a no-no, so its better to centralize them. So there could be 1 thread for people who bought an iPhone instead of a NIT, not 3 or , 5 or 10. (But 2, at some point, because the older one is old or full, makes sense.)

fms
2008-11-16, 06:52
i wonder, is there a central forum for competing products where people pop in and talk about why they got their N8*0 rather then product x? or is this a ITT fenomena?
Check out Canon forum at http://www.dpreview.com/ - it is full of people who "didn't buy a Canon" and are for some reason eager to tell everyone why. Often repetitively.

allnameswereout
2008-11-16, 07:08
DPreview is brand-agnostic though. ITT isn't; it is for and by ITT users.

debernardis
2008-11-16, 07:28

It has been happening everyday on forums dedicated to the nokia communicators (which aren't that hot amy more, nowadays, indeed). It's part of the fun in my humble opinion, including interventions of trolls, fanboys and the so.
It's not compulsory to read all the threads, you see, so it's only a matter of ignoring them if they offend someone's sensibility. :cool:

fms
2008-11-16, 07:32
DPreview is brand-agnostic though. ITT isn't; it is for and by ITT users.
Doesn't mean a thing, considering that the phenomenon is local to their Canon discussion forum. That place is pretty much brand-specific, although a lot of posters have non-Canon cameras as well.

PS: And please, don't forget the "I will not upgrade from X to X+1 because ..." variety :)

eiffel
2008-11-16, 10:32
I'd be very interested to know why this happens so often here on ITt.
I think it happens here because of the lack of new tablets from Nokia. In the meantime, people are going to talk about other products. As soon as there's tangible news about the N900, I'm sure the other discussions will plummet.

I've probably been one of the offenders, but I'll make sure to post those discussions only in the "Competitors" forum.

I also see the same thing in a forum for the LG Viewty phone. LG abandoned the users (there was never a single firmware update despite many bugs, nor did LG provide any useful support) and that forum is full of people wondering aloud about alternative products.

Regards,
Roger

xxM5xx
2008-11-16, 10:53
.... LG abandoned the users (there was never a single firmware update despite many bugs, nor did LG provide any useful support)....

I apologize in advance for going a little off topic here but eiffel mentioned a noteworthy observation regarding LG.

I am glad eiffel used the words "LG abandoned the users", instead of writing "LG abandoned the customers". Eiffel, you expressed it precisely because LG's customer(s) are not the users, LG's customers are the telcos/carriers. Users wishes are down on the list of priorities below the telcos.

One of the things I love about the NiT is we are both the users and we are also the customers, and Nokia has our interests regarding tablets in mind (for now). I hope it stays this way but I am not optimistic.

Sorry for going off on a little tangent.

fms
2008-11-16, 10:55
I also see the same thing in a forum for the LG Viewty phone. LG abandoned the users (there was never a single firmware update despite many bugs, nor did LG provide any useful support)
Well, they should have known better when buying from LG. Pretty much the same goes for Samsung and Casio.

Fionn
2008-11-16, 18:07
It's not compulsory to read all the threads, you see, so it's only a matter of ignoring them if they offend someone's sensibility. :cool:
That's far too radical as a solution :D.