PDA

View Full Version : Internet Tablet Talk to become talk.maemo.org

Reggie
2008-12-02, 07:26
Let me first preface this announcement by first thanking everyone who has been supporting Internet Tablet Talk (itT) and making it the best resource for discussing the Nokia Internet Tablet and anything Maemo related.

Since the Maemo Summit, I have been discussing with Quim Gil and Jussi Makinen of Nokia as well as some of the council members on ways that itT could work more closely with maemo.org. The idea of bringing itT under the maemo.org umbrella came up, and I think it's a good one. I've agreed with the council and the folks from Nokia to move itT to talk.maemo.org, and Nokia has agreed to become the primary sponsor of the site. Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/2008/12/02/internet-tablet-talk-to-become-talkmaemoorg/)

Peter@Maemo Marketing
2008-12-02, 08:01
I'm very exited about this move. It will help the the community to come again a bit closer under the same roof. Maemo Marketing will recommend talk.meamo.org as the discussion forum on Maemo. We will link it also to the planned consumer web site of maemo.nokia.com. Looking forward to see this come alive...

ragnar
2008-12-02, 08:16
Congrats Reggie, it's a very nice move for both parties. ITT has clearly had the most open and vibrant discussions, bringing that to maemo.org and extending the capabilities will be cool. Plus the new name will make sense. :)

benny1967
2008-12-02, 08:33
Great! Seems like ITT gets the official recognition it deserves.

hhedberg
2008-12-02, 08:36
Congratulations, Reggie! Also I see this as an important movement for maemo and itT community.

Thesandlord
2008-12-02, 09:10
Finally. This site should have been official since day one, its just so great.

Personal Note: Hate the name. Internettablettalk just had a cool ring to it. talk.meamo.org, well, seems boring.

Peter@Maemo Marketing
2008-12-02, 09:34
Finally. This site should have been official since day one, its just so great.

Personal Note: Hate the name. Internettablettalk just had a cool ring to it. talk.meamo.org, well, seems boring.

Do you really think the name is boring? We like it because it is contemporary. It also allows us to talk about other things than InternetTablets built on Maemo: like mobile computers as Nokia just announced the N97 being in the same category. While that one is built on S60 5th Edition, Maemo 5 is designed also for mobile computers.

Nokia has the intent to put one day video messages or podcasts from experts, partners, developers, and product managers to talk.maemo.org allowing us to talk about a wide range of things in context of Maemo.

bergie
2008-12-02, 09:44
Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/2008/12/02/internet-tablet-talk-to-become-talkmaemoorg/)

Congratulations!

And don't hesitate to contact me when you want to start working on integration between talk and downloads :cool:

iamthewalrus
2008-12-02, 09:54
It will be much clearer to newcomers when all Tablets related information can be found in one place. I do hope however that the forums will stay a place to openly criticize and discuss Nokia and the Internet Tablets despite being funded by Nokia.

fpp
2008-12-02, 09:59
Finally ! An end to the "it's no use ranting here" meme :-)
Thanks Reggie !

benny1967
2008-12-02, 10:01
I do hope however that the forums will stay a place to openly criticize and discuss Nokia and the Internet Tablets despite being funded by Nokia.

I guess they will.
I browse http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/discussions/ every now and then, trying to get help concerning my S60 phone. The overall attitude there is much more negative towards Nokia than it is here. Still, it's on a nokia.com domain. Therefore I doubt we'll see any change here.

(BTW: I hardly ever get help over at dicussions.europe.nokia.com, while it's a pleasure to be here at ITT. Interesting to compare the two.)

flareup
2008-12-02, 10:57
As a long term user I don't have any constructive ideas - obviously I'm pleased for the people involved whose efforts and work so far are now being rewarded with income and, I take it, salaries.

But for the forum itself, "sell out" springs to mind. The important thing about it to date has been the fact that it WAS NOT official. In fact I remember the excitement around when it became obvious that certain Nokia people were getting involved in posting.

With admins, mods etc how can it continue to be perceived as an "honest" refelection?

For once, I'm actually looking forward to a post from Karel!

qgil
2008-12-02, 11:03
Let's have in mind that maemo.nokia.com will be the new official Maemo site, while *.maemo.org is moving as we speak to a 100% independent and community driven site.

Sponsored by Nokia (funding the hosting, the independent maemo.org team and some special projects requested by the community) but without Nokia's ownership or decision.

flareup
2008-12-02, 11:09
funding IS de facto ownership ;)

lma
2008-12-02, 11:42
Could the internettablettalk.com domain remain active and point (or redirect) to the same place? There are lots of links in bugzilla, mailing list archives, blogs etc that will break otherwise.

Aisu
2008-12-02, 12:03
Great work, Reg! I am really looking forward to this.

Good luck, I hope all goes well. :D

andrewfblack
2008-12-02, 12:28
I"m happy for Reggie and the site. I'm also happy to see some improvements coming like more admins and moderators. I just hope we keep a minimal theme in the new look.

eiffel
2008-12-02, 12:50
I suppose since Nokia is not calling the next device an Internet Tablet, a forum called Internet Tablet Talk doesn't make so much sense anymore.

EIPI
2008-12-02, 12:53
The addition of moderators is a welcome addition, and is long overdue. What process will be employed to appoint moderators? The coalescence of the community aspect within maemo.org, and its backing by Nokia is positive in my books. Support from Nokia means that Maemo has a future within the giant Nokia machine. Thanks Nokia, Maemo and Reggie/Roger for this exciting development.

qgil
2008-12-02, 12:58
funding IS de facto ownership ;)

If you have an alternative model we are all ears. :)

allnameswereout
2008-12-02, 13:02
Seems like a good decision to me, I wish you the best in your new position.

I like the name talk.maemo.org. You can abbreviate it as TMO or TMo or something. It looks professional, too. Its short to type. The name is descriptive.

Will the new forum also be more newbie friendly?

Could the internettablettalk.com domain remain active and point (or redirect) to the same place? There are lots of links in bugzilla, mailing list archives, blogs etc that will break otherwise.It is registered till at least 13 june 2009. It would be wise to extend the registration against domain squating. A HTTP redirect or some simple mod_rewrite rules should take care of your point. The ItT Wiki will have to be merged completely by that time though.

Moderators was suggested on the Suggestions forum with useful discussions, and several ideas on how to implement were discussed.

Pushwall
2008-12-02, 13:11
Pretty exciting news! It's good to see that this site won't stagnate but will move on to even better things. I'm looking forward to the new coolness and I know you guys won't let me down. Change is good! :cool:

GeneralAntilles
2008-12-02, 13:34
With admins, mods etc how can it continue to be perceived as an "honest" refelection?

Just look at the maemo.org mailing lists, bugzilla or Planet . . . do you see any censorship there? maemo.org is not a Nokia domain, it is a community domain under community control and with community rules, which do not include 'must be positive towards Nokia'.

Really, though, who do you think these new mods and admin(s) will be? Random Nokia employees? It wont be anybody you're not already familiar with--this isn't a hostile takeover from Nokia. ;) It's the Maemo Community becoming truly unified with the nice side effect of Nokia paying to get rid of the advertisements, nothing more.

I'll say again: maemo.org is not a nokia.com domain. :)

Red
2008-12-02, 13:46
It isn't a nokia.com domain, but it does make it easier to fold the whole lot in one go when maemo is dumped.

... only joking! I think this is a positive move, and one that can only serve to legitimise the position of Maemo as an OS.

namtastic
2008-12-02, 16:01
Huzzahs are in order! HUZZAH

qole
2008-12-02, 19:41
Will talk.maemo.org still have a section for Alternatives? I mean, we're talking about KDE, Android, Debian and Ubuntu running on the tablets, but it really isn't maemo related... This is the problem with naming a site after the software rather than the hardware...

andrewfblack
2008-12-02, 19:43
Will talk.maemo.org still have a section for Alternatives? I mean, we're talking about KDE, Android, Debian and Ubuntu running on the tablets, but it really isn't maemo related... This is the problem with naming a site after the software rather than the hardware...

That is a good question I would think Maemo wouldn't want information about other OSes on there site.

sjgadsby
2008-12-02, 19:49
That is a good question I would think Maemo wouldn't want information about other OSes on there site.

s/Maemo/maemo.org and s/there/their

And actually, if you're part of the community: s/their/our

Wiki.maemo.org already contains information on alternate operating systems (http://wiki.maemo.org/Alternative_operating_systems) and environments. Why shouldn't talk.maemo.org?

qgil
2008-12-02, 20:35
Note that maemo.org being the home of the Maemo community is open to any topic interesting for the community. Any.

Old memes of the "official" maemo.org in the past (e.g. 'discussion about devices is off-topic') need to be revisited now. Following the example, if Nokia followed the discussions on ITt on hardware they will continue doing so in talk.maemo.org.

And if one day there is a brainstorm.maemo.org and the community wants to open a category to suggest hardware improvements, there will be no Nokia official gatekeeper telling otherwise.

This doesn't mean either that suddenly you will see industrial designers from Nokia discussing about whatever future device. The Maemo SW team will keep digging in its preferred area: open source software development compatible with Maemo. But this won't stop you discussing and working about anything else. Your own initiative and decision.

qole
2008-12-02, 20:52
Wiki.maemo.org already contains information on alternate operating systems (http://wiki.maemo.org/Alternative_operating_systems) and environments. Why shouldn't talk.maemo.org?

hmm, I guess talk.maemo.org/competitors will (still) have the usual flood of posts by people who don't own a Nokia device or who go to the trouble of making an account in order to post about how much better some other device is. And I'm sure the talk.maemo.org/competitors/iPhone forum will still be lots of fun to read :D

Benson
2008-12-02, 22:27
Hmm... I'll have to update my vB logo.
i n t e r n e t t a b l e t
T A L K
talk.maemo.org

I know the font's wrong in both, but the itT one did come a lot closer. Also, itT inline is much nicer than, what, tmo I guess? :( But, of course, practicalities (you know, like post/thanks-based karma :D) trump those trivialities, and I really am pleased with this.

Speaking of which, I wonder how the user registrations will be collated. Will the forums keep a separate user db and simply have an association between a maemo.org account and itT talk account, or will it be a unified database?

GeneralAntilles
2008-12-02, 22:35
I know the font's wrong in both, but the itT one did come a lot closer. Also, itT inline is much nicer than, what, tmo I guess? :( But, of course, practicalities (you know, like post/thanks-based karma :D) trump those trivialities, and I really am pleased with this.

I'm thinking "Talk". A bit like "Downloads" or "Planet".

Speaking of which, I wonder how the user registrations will be collated. Will the forums keep a separate user db and simply have an association between a maemo.org account and itT talk account, or will it be a unified database?

The forums are staying on the same servers, so the registration wont be changing in the short term. Account unification will likely wait until we get a real single-sign-on solution.

gemniii42
2008-12-03, 00:14
<snip>
I like the name talk.maemo.org. You can abbreviate it as TMO or TMo or something. It looks professional, too. Its short to type. The name is descriptive.

<snip>Unfortunately TMo sounds a lot like Tmobile.
How about saying "TM dot org"?

GeneralAntilles
2008-12-03, 00:29
Unfortunately TMo sounds a lot like Tmobile.

Or why not just "Talk"? :p

gemniii42
2008-12-03, 00:32
Talk Talk Talk
that's all you do is talk!!
:)

sjgadsby
2008-12-03, 01:02
It will be harder for anyone to say those on Internet Tablet Talk aren't part of the maemo.org community when voting next comes around, eh?

SD69
2008-12-03, 03:08
I suppose since Nokia is not calling the next device an Internet Tablet, a forum called Internet Tablet Talk doesn't make so much sense anymore.Not really. This forum could continue to talk about internet tablet devices and not let the lexicon be dictated by Nokia. That statement is a rationalization; this decision is a conscious one to join forces to push Maemo.

I am reading this thread after someone asked "aside from maemo, what is distinctive about the NITs?" How ironic. For me, it is unfortunate that the NITs are becoming all about Maemo. And now this forum, which is one of the few that I post in, is becoming a part of Maemo. I have absolutely nothing against Maemo or the Maemo community. In fact, I am a big advocate of the proposition that a mobile touch screen device has to have an OS matched to the device category, and often posted in support of Maemo. But I came into this because I had a soft spot for this new device category, and it just happened that, at the time, Nokia was the ONLY company offering such a device. I now lots of people are pushing Maemo, and that's good because the devices need a good OS. But, for me, the forum was about more than Maemo, and it's hard to believe that will continue once the forum becomes part of maemo.org.

geneven
2008-12-03, 04:18
Goodbye. (Too short.) Goodbye.

Texrat
2008-12-03, 04:51
I hope everyone will give the new direction a chance before reacting drastically...

Benson
2008-12-03, 05:15
Not really. This forum could continue to talk about internet tablet devices and not let the lexicon be dictated by Nokia. That statement is a rationalization; this decision is a conscious one to join forces to push Maemo.This forum was, in my understanding, initially established with the 770 launch. It has not covered (except as competitors) Zaurus, Apple, Palm, HTC, Archos, or even other Nokia devices with reasonably equivalent hardware, but differing in OS. While the tablet hardware has been consistently high-end (770 at launch, and N800 and N810 up through the N810 launch, if less so now, and the N9xx at its launch), the hardware has not been hugely differentiated from other devices. Even the screen resolution is no longer different from some competitors, and with Opera, many of them do a passable job as tablets that access the internet. MIDs are coming out now too, and while their x86 architecture does hurt them powerwise, they're also tablets with access to the internet.

Yet (whatever the reasons) these fora are not, in fact, providing primary coverage of them; they're relegated to "competitors". Since these fora are covering Maemo, it's not indicative of any change of direction, much less one dictated by Nokia, that they should merge with maemo.org.

Essentially, your complaint seems to be rather late, as it is actually against the established focus, not the name change.

bergie
2008-12-03, 08:50
But, of course, practicalities (you know, like post/thanks-based karma :D) trump those trivialities, and I really am pleased with this.

Post and Thanks -based karma is already there if you have added (http://maemo.org/profile/edit/) your Internet Tablet Talk profile URL to your profile.

Of course, if accounts become unified at some point things shall become a little bit more automated.

bergie
2008-12-03, 08:53
The forums are staying on the same servers, so the registration wont be changing in the short term. Account unification will likely wait until we get a real single-sign-on solution.

We made some plans for single sign-on between maemo.org services last spring, but back then it was postponed until the server infrastructure was a bit more reliable.

It is probably the time to start reviving those plans now, and maybe update the ideas to include Talk sometime around January/February Sprint timescale.

Something to discuss in today's meeting (http://maemo.org/news/events/maemo.org%20December%2008%20planning%20meeting/) if there is time...

qgil
2008-12-03, 09:04
We made some plans for single sign-on between maemo.org services last spring, but back then it was postponed until the server infrastructure was a bit more reliable.

It is probably the time to start reviving those plans now, and maybe update the ideas to include Talk sometime around January/February Sprint timescale.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Single_sign-on - for those interested getting into details.

SD69
2008-12-03, 13:45
This forum was, in my understanding, initially established with the 770 launch. It has not covered (except as competitors) Zaurus, Apple, Palm, HTC, Archos, or even other Nokia devices with reasonably equivalent hardware, but differing in OS. While the tablet hardware has been consistently high-end (770 at launch, and N800 and N810 up through the N810 launch, if less so now, and the N9xx at its launch), the hardware has not been hugely differentiated from other devices. Even the screen resolution is no longer different from some competitors, and with Opera, many of them do a passable job as tablets that access the internet. MIDs are coming out now too, and while their x86 architecture does hurt them powerwise, they're also tablets with access to the internet.

Yet (whatever the reasons) these fora are not, in fact, providing primary coverage of them; they're relegated to "competitors". Since these fora are covering Maemo, it's not indicative of any change of direction, much less one dictated by Nokia, that they should merge with maemo.org.

Essentially, your complaint seems to be rather late, as it is actually against the established focus, not the name change.I agree with your statement about the focus of the forum and I'm not complaining about the established focus of the forum. This forum was started with the 770 which, at the time, was very distinctive. I do not agree that the tablets are no longer distinctive except for Maemo.

tso
2008-12-03, 13:57
I hope everyone will give the new direction a chance before reacting drastically...

thats not the internet way ;)

http://www.weregeek.com/comics/2008-12-03.jpg

SD69
2008-12-03, 15:29
I hope everyone will give the new direction a chance before reacting drastically...I don't think anyone has, or will, react drastically.

As to give it a chance, my comments that other aspects of the NIT threaten to be lost in the focus on Maemo have already been described as "late". So the idea that anyone should wait until after the forum has moved to maemo.org and is a fait accompli, before reacting, is not really practical.

allnameswereout
2008-12-03, 19:56
Essentially, your complaint seems to be rather late, as it is actually against the established focus, not the name change.There is Competitors for different hardware (might be Maemo though) and there is Alternatives for different software for the 770/N800/N810, with sub-categories.

It makes sense someone is afraid the latter will evaporate from Talk because these (sub-)forums are not directly Maemo-related. However, there is no complaint (unlike the Competitors forum & threads), so why bother to remove them? I don't think that will happen.

smackpotato
2008-12-03, 21:02
I will mis the name internet tablet talk. It is an excellent pun,if there is such a thing. Table talk sends a signal that post are to be friendly.

allnameswereout
2008-12-03, 21:19
I will mis the name internet tablet talk. It is an excellent pun,if there is such a thing. Table talk sends a signal that post are to be friendly.

And-that-tee flow... :)

xxM5xx
2008-12-03, 21:55
Unfortunately TMo sounds a lot like Tmobile.

Agreed, TMO is T-Mobile to many people. Type TMO in Google and you'll see it listed #2 under the Thermo Fisher Scientific stock exchange listing.

pelago
2008-12-03, 22:32
This seems a bit of a shame to me. I think that one sign that a community surrounding a device/software/project/whatever is vibrant is the presence of unofficial, fan-run, 3rd-party sites. Making this site official will lose a bit of that.

GeneralAntilles
2008-12-03, 22:58
This seems a bit of a shame to me. I think that one sign that a community surrounding a device/software/project/whatever is vibrant is the presence of unofficial, fan-run, 3rd-party sites. Making this site official will lose a bit of that.

What do you think maemo.org is? It's certainly not an "official" anything. It's a community site, just like itT. It most certainly not an "official" Nokia site. . . .

SD69
2008-12-03, 23:05
There is Competitors for different hardware (might be Maemo though) and there is Alternatives for different software for the 770/N800/N810, with sub-categories.

It makes sense someone is afraid the latter will evaporate from Talk because these (sub-)forums are not directly Maemo-related. However, there is no complaint (unlike the Competitors forum & threads), so why bother to remove them? I don't think that will happen.Unfortunately, there are people on this thread stating or implying that Maemo is the focus of this forum. While a large percentage of posts may relate to Maemo in one way or another, there are many that don't, and one need only look at the structure of the sub-forums to see that there are other aspects of the tablets too that get attention. Furthermore, some of the posters evidently don't realize that, when this forum started, Maemo didn't even exist and most of the discussions were about aspects of the devices other than the OS.

It's very good that both Maemo and ITT have become robust communities, and I think there was some value to them being separate. It's not just the existence of sub-forums, but the likelihood of users and others who are not SW people posting and having good discussions on non-Maemo topics.

Texrat
2008-12-04, 01:21
If people don't like what happens to this forum after the name change, maybe they could start another...

Texrat
2008-12-04, 02:26
I don't think anyone has, or will, react drastically.

As to give it a chance, my comments that other aspects of the NIT threaten to be lost in the focus on Maemo have already been described as "late". So the idea that anyone should wait until after the forum has moved to maemo.org and is a fait accompli, before reacting, is not really practical.

I see some of the concerns expressed as drastic. The "oh noes there goes the neighborhood!" type postings are overreaction IMO.

And I think you may have misunderstood that response about your concerns being "late". I also think the worry over the focus on Maemo is wasted. I highly doubt Reggie would be making this move if it meant major changes to what the site looks like now. As far as I can tell, it all amounts to a name change in summary.

Anyway, I never said there should be NO reaction to the news before the move-- that leap is in itself, ironically, part of what I'm talking about.

GeneralAntilles
2008-12-04, 02:32
I highly doubt Reggie would be making this move if it meant major changes to what the site looks like now. As far as I can tell, it all amounts to a name change in summary.

Well, except for the new maemo.org theme. :p

radiofreewill
2008-12-04, 02:34
I'm a regular lurker, infrequent poster, and a fan of the Nokia Tablets and This Community that Supports Them.

First, I'd like to say thanks to Reggie, the Staff and All the Regular Commenters for making itT such a great cyber-coffeeshop for the Tablet Community - it's been great!

Second, has anyone given any thought to lobbying Nokia to Mod the N97 specifically for the Wireless/WiMax Market?

How do you think they would feel about:

- Removing the SIP
- Making Maemo5 the Base OS
- Adding Full-Spectrum Wireless/WiMax Support
- Marketing it through Data-Service Provider Plans/2-year Contracts for $149

As a business proposition, it might sound good to Nokia to 'squeeze' a Bonus-Market out of the N97 - with very little additional investment.

For us, the Computer-in-your-Hand Tablet Crowd, we get first-rate hardware and an OS We Can Work With, that will carry us through the next three years, easy.

It might be a Win-Win.

I'm just saying...

fragos
2008-12-04, 02:56
IMHO with any change there are opportunities. We as the members of this forum are it's life blood. A new suit of clothes doesn't change what's inside.

SD69
2008-12-04, 03:08
And I think you may have misunderstood that response about your concerns being "late". I also think the worry over the focus on Maemo is wasted. I highly doubt Reggie would be making this move if it meant major changes to what the site looks like now. As far as I can tell, it all amounts to a name change in summary.

I'm sure the move is being made with the best of intentions, but I think a year from now its going to be more than the name that has changed.

Thesandlord
2008-12-04, 03:19
How do you think they would feel about:

- Removing the SIP
- Making Maemo5 the Base OS
- Adding Full-Spectrum Wireless/WiMax Support
- Marketing it through Data-Service Provider Plans/2-year Contracts for $149

As a business proposition, it might sound good to Nokia to 'squeeze' a Bonus-Market out of the N97 - with very little additional investment.

Umm, Maemo5 is not out yet. Hopefully, the N900 will be MORE powerful than the N97. Its not gonna be easy to "squeeze" a new product out of the N97, because there still needs to be development, and WiMax would make it into a whole different product. But, the N97 is a sign of things to come...

GeneralAntilles
2008-12-04, 03:24
I'm sure the move is being made with the best of intentions, but I think a year from now its going to be more than the name that has changed.

itT's also a lot different now than it was a year ago, and even more different than it was two years ago. Things change, it's hardly the end of the world.

timsamoff
2008-12-04, 03:37
...Things change...

And, sometimes even for the better. So, continue to be a part of it and the changes will only be good.

Tim

gerbick
2008-12-04, 03:38
Different clothes, same purpose. Congrats.

SD69
2008-12-04, 03:43
itT's also a lot different now than it was a year ago, and even more different than it was two years ago. Things change, it's hardly the end of the world.I know - but fair enough when claimed it's only a name change

on the topic of changes that won't end the world, see post #29...

"Old memes of the "official" maemo.org in the past (e.g. 'discussion about devices is off-topic') need to be revisited now."

Texrat
2008-12-04, 04:15

Maybe! But why fret about what hasn't happened yet? And may very well not? What's wrong with offering the benefit of the doubt?

I know - but fair enough when claimed it's only a name change

on the topic of changes that won't end the world, see post #29...

"Old memes of the "official" maemo.org in the past (e.g. 'discussion about devices is off-topic') need to be revisited now."

Right! In other words, the inclusion of itT into maemo.org means former contraints of the latter are no longer applicable.

qgil
2008-12-04, 05:33

Exactly. maemo.org will be much more affected and radically changed because of its move to a community driven setting and the expansion of its scope from Maemo developers to all kinds of Maemo related topics, including compatible hardware and whatever commercial or community products or activities are to be discussed around it.

Instead, ITt will keep being a community driven project, pushed by the same contributors and discussing about whever they (you, we) wish.

Domain changes, layout changes, organization might evolve. Not that Reggie or you would think of doing such moves anyway.

Perhaps all this picture will be more clear when you see the very official maemo.nokia.com popping up and the official news and deliverables for developers being linked and syndicated from Forum Nokia.

radiofreewill
2008-12-04, 05:49
Thesandlord at 60

Thanks for your reply! That's my bad - I saw the N97 and imagined it hacked - mainly because I'm impatiently ready for a New Tablet. If the N900 turns out to be more powerful than the N97, I'll be thrilled!

Thesandlord
2008-12-04, 05:56
I'm impatiently ready for a New Tablet.

And so say we all....

Has anyone confirmed if internettablettalk.com will redirect properly? There are a LOT of sites that link to itT, and they will all break :(

Also, with not ads, the site should load faster on the tablet, I just realized that...

Benson
2008-12-04, 06:03
Well, except for the new maemo.org theme. :p

You mean I'll no longer be able to read interesting thread titles like "N800 case is a joke and I am not laughing" while I wait for the front page to load? :(

(For those who've not had the pleasure of watching it load on a slow connection, see the entire background image here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/tablet101/wp-content/themes/n810/rt_dimensions/images/backgrounds/texture-3.jpg).)

SD69
2008-12-04, 10:41
Maybe! But why fret about what hasn't happened yet? And may very well not? What's wrong with offering the benefit of the doubt?

Who's fretting? Just providing perspective and input.

Jaffa
2008-12-05, 10:45
There is Competitors for different hardware (might be Maemo though) and there is Alternatives for different software for the 770/N800/N810, with sub-categories.

It makes sense someone is afraid the latter will evaporate from Talk because these (sub-)forums are not directly Maemo-related. However, there is no complaint (unlike the Competitors forum & threads), so why bother to remove them? I don't think that will happen.

OK, to re-iterate the main points:

Nokia are going to sponsor these fora, as they sponsor the other home of the Maemo Community, maemo.org
Reggie will carry on running the site, but will have resources available to him which are sub-contracted by Nokia to work on maemo.org fulltime.
At the moment, the integration with the rest of maemo.org (which is not a Nokia site any more) will consist of a single look & feel and a domain name change to talk.maemo.org

As the Maemo Community's council, we aren't going to let Nokia ride roughshod over the most vibrant part of the community (ITT). Even if they wanted to... which they don't.

I honestly can't see any downsides to this.

Cheers,

Andrew

Texrat
2008-12-05, 19:59
It's funny: for so long we had people complaining that there was no official Nokia representation (involvement by myself and others notwithstanding). Then I wore Quim down enough to visit, and now months later we're at the point where some fear Nokia domination.

*sigh*

GeneralAntilles
2008-12-05, 20:05
It's funny: for so long we had people complaining that there was no official Nokia representation (involvement by myself and others notwithstanding). Then I wore Quim down enough to visit, and now months later we're at the point where some fear Nokia domination.

*sigh*

It helps if you think of each of those groups of people as separate and generally not overlapping (group 1 wants more Nokia presence, group 2 wants to avoid Nokia domination, etc). :P

tso
2008-12-05, 20:06
or more correctly, they want nokia presence, but not control ;)

as in, they want a representative or two of nokia that they can pester about things, but not having nokia run the place and set the rules.

Benson
2008-12-05, 20:26
I think you can classify sets of people: set 1 (concerned about lack of Nokia presence), and set 2 (concerned about excessive Nokia control).

These sets do intersect (some people are concerned about both), to be sure, and they also don't cover everyone (e.g. I'm in neither, really). But not all (or, I think, most) of the outcry is the same people reacting on the other side now.

Texrat
2008-12-05, 21:21
It helps if you think of each of those groups of people as separate and generally not overlapping (group 1 wants more Nokia presence, group 2 wants to avoid Nokia domination, etc). :P

Well duh. I didn't say they were the same, GA.

sgosnell
2008-12-06, 03:56
Things aren't like they used to be. And they never were. Life goes on, and perhaps we progress. Deal with it.

GeneralAntilles
2008-12-06, 04:02
Well duh. I didn't say they were the same, GA.

Fair enough, but it does help to come to terms with the insanity. :p

Frank Banul
2008-12-06, 04:33
How about maemo.org moves it's content to the servers hosting internettablettalk.com?

My only real fear is that if/when ITT moves servers to maemo.org's it will still be SLOW.

Frank

GeneralAntilles
2008-12-06, 04:50
How about maemo.org moves it's content to the servers hosting internettablettalk.com?

There's no server move. itT is staying where it is.

My only real fear is that if/when ITT moves servers to maemo.org's it will still be SLOW.

Have you been using maemo.org lately? Performance is way better than it used to be.

andrewfblack
2008-12-06, 06:02
my question is still are we going to have a minimal version still?

qgil
2008-12-06, 06:32
my question is still are we going to have a minimal version still?

No idea about Reggie's plans, but anybody can push a task (http://wiki.maemo.org/How_to_push_a_maemo.org_task) to a maemo.org development sprint (http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Sprints) (or Just Do It). Even yourself.

TA-t3
2008-12-09, 15:15

Frank
No, read the original article by Reggie..
http://www.internettablettalk.com/2008/12/02/internet-tablet-talk-to-become-talkmaemoorg/
"[...]the ads will be removed, and will still run on the same fast server you have all been enjoying for several years now."

(bold was added by me)

TA-t3
2008-12-09, 15:19
Was away, so I didn't get to see the thread until today.. looks good to me. However, I didn't see anything about what's going to happen to tabletscene.com - as I understand it it's affiliated with internettablettalk.com, sharing accounts and the like. Will it keep its current status/getting removed/or moved? It's a low-traffic site, but it looks useful (maybe because it's low-traffic) for newbies and non-technical people.

SD69
2008-12-11, 21:04
I didn't see anything about what's going to happen to tabletscene.com - as I understand it it's affiliated with internettablettalk.com, sharing accounts and the like. Will it keep its current status/getting removed/or moved? It's a low-traffic site, but it looks useful (maybe because it's low-traffic) for newbies and non-technical people.A good question. Can someone speak to this?

Hedgecore
2008-12-30, 15:32
I realize I haven't been active for a while, and I fully admit that I haven't read all 89 comments to this item... but...

I hope that the forum retains its community feel. I hope that a bunch of anti-social developers with behavioural problems don't lambaste new users into leaving or abandoning iTTs. I hope that it doesn't turn into sub-basement 23 of the Matrix with casual users thinking their stupid because they don't know how to repolarize their level 2 flux inducer without step by step instructions.

Looking forward to seeing it. And thanks for mentioning that you're staying on the same server; given the connectivity issues to maemo.org I've experienced in my time, that's welcome news.

GeneralAntilles
2008-12-30, 18:09
I realize I haven't been active for a while, and I fully admit that I haven't read all 89 comments to this item... but...

You've been gone too long, maemo.org has changed a lot and I don't think it's the place you think it is. ;)

Looking forward to seeing it. And thanks for mentioning that you're staying on the same server; given the connectivity issues to maemo.org I've experienced in my time, that's welcome news.

Well, the maemo.org servers were recently upgraded, so it's a lot faster and more stable than it used to be.

Also, welcome back, Hedgecore! :)

munky261
2008-12-30, 19:57
I'll have to second the comment that maemo.org is VERY slow, no matter what machine or connection i use.

Jaffa
2008-12-31, 00:27
I'll have to second the comment that maemo.org is VERY slow, no matter what machine or connection i use.

Still (i.e. today)? What URLs/actions are slow?

There've been a variety of improvements, but I've lost track at the moment as to which ones have been done or not. Certainly, I've noticed the difference over the past few weeks.

The task should be being tracked here (http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Fast_Server), but that doesn't have updates for the Midgard upgrades recently etc. Something for the Nemein folks to be poked about in the next monthly meeting.

GeraldKo
2008-12-31, 17:53
Reggie, I have lots of links to this forum that I've copied into my Personal Information Manager. I haven't copied the information into my PIM, just the link either to the thread or to a specific post.

Will those links to old threads and old posts still work after the forum has moved?

(For example, I have an entry in my PIM for "Software: File Associations" and all it has is: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=153260
I didn't include any of the actual posts in my PIM, but I'd like to be able to still get to that info when I need it.)

Thanks in advance.

fragos
2008-12-31, 22:33
Reggie, I have lots of links to this forum that I've copied into my Personal Information Manager. I haven't copied the information into my PIM, just the link either to the thread or to a specific post.

Will those links to old threads and old posts still work after the forum has moved?

(For example, I have an entry in my PIM for "Software: File Associations" and all it has is: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=153260
I didn't include any of the actual posts in my PIM, but I'd like to be able to still get to that info when I need it.)

Thanks in advance.

I can't speak for what the forum will do but it's posible to see that the old links still work. If that isn't done, the links in posts that point to other posts would all be broken as would be any links to our posts that have found their way into your PIM, blogs and other forums on the Internet.

Jaffa
2008-12-31, 23:58
I'd certainly hope this'll happen. The exact details have not yet been worked out.

EDIT: Don't worry - the Council'll be keeping an eye on this - and we're users too :-)

suryavanshi
2009-01-15, 08:06
Account unification will likely wait until we get a real single-sign-on solution.

openid? please....

GeneralAntilles
2009-01-29, 00:27
openid? please....

OpenID is insecure and clunky. It's not something we'll be implementing.

chenliangchen
2016-12-19, 00:38
Got this when I was searching from another Necromancy thread. Interesting as I joined TMO while this merge happened...

endsormeans
2016-12-19, 00:42
haha....want to dabble in necromancy man?
check out the repos I dug up from beyond the grave in the gronmayer repos of my walkthrough...there are scads of great stuff that still functions...

we just need to get them all moved to our maemo umbrella is all...:(

juiceme
2016-12-19, 07:31
Really interesting pieces of history, thanks @chenliangchen for digging this up for me to enjoy! :D