PDA

View Full Version : WebKit engine for default browser

Pages : [1] 2

pronvit
2008-12-23, 02:59
Here is beta version of webkit engine for default Maemo browser. This will make default maemo browser use webkit and get very-very big javascript performance boost and better support for new standards.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6tXj0BwWuOg/SVBTouh2PZI/AAAAAAAACys/k5yyn5YJ2Gs/s288/screenshot00.png (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DTKc_KTJ4eXufhaGi5-b5w?feat=directlink)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_6tXj0BwWuOg/SVBTouwzWmI/AAAAAAAACy0/zyYQG9_Wey8/s288/screenshot01.png (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xdMs5oz6YAdMTSCmZ_g8Ow?feat=embedwebsite)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
READ THIS http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=254590&postcount=133

WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESN'T
entering some text in url field that doesn't look like url will open google search
file downloading doesn't work
cookies work
zoom works
finger scrolling works
find on page works
setting home page works
options like load images, accept cookies, enable javascript, select encoding do nothing

I tested it on clean system with latest firmware, tell me if you'll have some problems with package installation or anything else on your system

tso
2008-12-23, 04:00
now to free up the space needed for the install...

allnameswereout
2008-12-23, 04:04
:eek: la Grande!

now to free up the space needed for the install...

mmmm, remove Fennec & Xulrunner... ;)

Benson
2008-12-23, 04:12
I still need to make some fixes but soon I'll post precompiled binaries and installation instructions for latest webkit and webkit-eal. This will make default maemo browser use webkit and get very-very big javascript performance boost and better support for new standards.

This is a newer webkit than the one in extras now, then? Should give tear a boost as well...

pronvit
2008-12-23, 04:20
tso,
only 10mb for webkit library..

Benson,
yes, it's much newer.
I respect efforts to create alternative browser but why develop/use Tear instead of default maemo browser which is more mature and stable if we can use newest engine in it and even switch engines?

TrueJournals
2008-12-23, 04:29
WANT. And, you say we can even switch engines on a whim? WANT.

Benson
2008-12-23, 04:31
I respect efforts to create alternative browser but why develop/use Tear instead of default maemo browser if we can use newest engine in it and even switch engines?
Because I like it. :p

More objective reasons: potentially lighter-weight (this should be minimal, though), and definitely unconstrained by Nokia's UI spec (major).

Also, back when last I messed with swapping engines (opera and microb under OS2007), I saw a lot of bugs (or maybe even correct, but strange, behaviors) pertaining to engine swapping. I just ditched microb, as OS2008 was almost ready anyway. While some of that may have been fixed, and it certainly can be fixed, it can also be bypassed entirely, and right now I see no significant benefit to running microb vs. webkit.

pronvit
2008-12-23, 04:34
TrueJournals,
it's harder to do switching on the fly but close browser-switch-reopen is easy (however I have some problems with browser daemon process which ignores settings and tries to load not right engine sometimes, I need to fix this before making it public)

pronvit
2008-12-23, 04:40
Benson,
yes I see some benefits of Tear (it can be much lightweighter than maemo browser because of complex client/server architecture of latter), but it really still need much work to be stable (it crashes very often on my device) and integrated into the system (I mean bookmarks and so on). I'm not sure there are enough developers and free time to do this, unfortunately. If they will succeed I'll be very glad, but I will focus on integrating webkit into default browser.

TrueJournals
2008-12-23, 04:43
Well, on the fly being having to close and reopen the browser is fine. What I meant was that we won't have to go through some complicated process (perhaps involving uninstalling webkit) in order to switch.

tso
2008-12-23, 05:34
tso,
only 10mb for webkit library..

true that, but iirc there was a 20-30MB lib that wbkit depended on.

at last the exsisting one did, this new one i do not know...

Bundyo
2008-12-23, 07:59
Nah, libwebkit is the only one needed.

zehjotkah
2008-12-23, 08:02
I still need to make some fixes but soon I'll post precompiled binaries and installation instructions for latest webkit and webkit-eal. This will make default maemo browser use webkit and get very-very big javascript performance boost and better support for new standards.

Great! Want to test this out...

pronvit
2008-12-23, 08:39
Forgot, there is also icu library for unicode support, quite big too. but not sure maybe something else needs it to and it's already installed

Bundyo
2008-12-23, 10:42
libicu is for unicode support, it should be already installed.

qwerty12
2008-12-23, 10:46
****, pronvit, you pwn.

allnameswereout
2008-12-23, 13:08
Besides the obvious advantage of choice between rendering engines (performance, stability, bugs, compatibility, development) this allows also the user to pick either one while not having to relearn a new interface nor does she have to unlearn the old interface hence allowing the user to go back on forth because this part is the same. If you ever use an alternative keyboard layout and switch to another (forced or otherwise) you know what I'm talking about. E.g. laptop -> desktop, qwerty -> dvorak, or language layouts. Or say IE at work, with a real browser at home.

maxilogan
2008-12-23, 13:21
Or say IE at work, with a real browser at home.

LOL your're right.

I'm currently using Win at work and OSX at home, just switched, and still am trying to get used to CMD+C/CMD+V instead of CTRL+C/CTRL+V and so on... :)

endorphinum
2008-12-23, 14:12
one reason why the masses out there get stuck with our lovely n800 is exactly by threads like this.
I can only imagine what the webkit does or will do, but i do not understand it.
Could anyone of you just simply write down what the webkit does and how to
get it?

thnx in advance guys.

Ignacius
2008-12-23, 14:12
pronvit: What revision of webkit are you compiling? Are you using libsoup or curl for the http backend? Pango or freetype? How have you managed to compile it? Last time Bundyo and I tried, it gived us some compiling errors. Tear is a great project I think. It lets us make some things that with maemo browser you couldn't, like have plugins. Also is written in Vala which is a great language. The stability problems you are having could be mainly because of webkit not being stable enough. As for icu library, there is a bug opened (https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15914) so that it will kill these dependency. Things are starting to look great on the webkit front, but it should need some stabilty before considering ready for every day use.

Ignacius
2008-12-23, 14:23
endorphinum: Webkit is just a rendering engine, developed by Apple (it was forked from another open source project named KHTML) and it's the engine you can see when using Safari, Google Chrome, Tear :-) etc... What makes webkit better than gecko/mozilla is because is much better integrated on the platform, it consumes lower memory, and it is in general much faster.

allnameswereout
2008-12-23, 14:28
one reason why the masses out there get stuck with our lovely n800 is exactly by threads like this.
I can only imagine what the webkit does or will do, but i do not understand it.
Could anyone of you just simply write down what the webkit does and how to
get it?

thnx in advance guys.

A rendering engine for web browsers. The thing under the hood of Mozilla Firefox so to say. Like the engine of a car.

Bitte, schau mahl WebKit am Wikipedia Deutschland an (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit).

tso
2008-12-23, 14:32
Forgot, there is also icu library for unicode support, quite big too. but not sure maybe something else needs it to and it's already installed

i recall having to manually install it the last time i was poking around with webkit...

meizirkki
2008-12-23, 14:32
For example, Midori, is based on webkit, and it is really fast, in this video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2860444474240852735&hl=en), it's running on Mer/Ubuntu 9.04 with no vfp-support (witch makes it 15% slower that it would be in vfp-enabled os) correct me if i'm wrong with this vfp-thing.

BrentDC
2008-12-24, 18:45
This is awesome! Can't wait to try it out!

Aisu
2008-12-24, 18:48
/me fidgets and waits for those binaries

Please, make haste! I cannot wait to try this out :D

Picklesworth
2008-12-24, 19:38
Nice work, pronvit! This is delightful news. Let's hope Nokia is paying attention, too; Webkit is an infinitely better engine to use, mobile device or not. It is actually designed to be portable, without any weird spatterings from its parent projects.

Does this still support cookies and password saving?

qwerty12
2008-12-24, 19:47
Nice work, pronvit! This is delightful news. Let's hope Nokia is paying attention, too

I remember seeing that the MicroB developers have done this already somewhere...
But I think Nokia are already paying attention as the S60 9.1 browser is webkit...

pronvit
2008-12-24, 21:09
Picklesworth, currently working on cookies support. And this still need to be done before it can be really used instead of microb.

The problem with nokia attention to webkit is that I like webkit (and porting to maemo) actually because of one reason - better javascript engine which is 12 times faster than mozilla. But it's still considered beta and isn't used in S60 or Apple Safari. So if Nokia will make webkit default engine for Maemo but still without new javascript engine, this won't help much.

Also Midori seems to be very simple and nice. Bundyo, I saw your thread on hildonizing Midori, why you stopped that work, what was wrong with it?

Bundyo
2008-12-24, 21:30
You mean its 12 times faster than MicroB's engine, which is based on FF 3.0 alpha.

FF got js speed improvements with 3.0 (after that alpha) and 3.1 with the JIT, so its comparable right now. We just need a little update. FF memory allocation is far better than WebKit's. Neither JIT AFAIK works on ARM yet...

I started Tear. Midori is Ok, but I'm not good with C and WebKit doesn't get newer with Midori anyway. Latest working is from March, I didn't succeed in getting any next build to run (with working JS) on Maemo and the March one is unstable and feature poorer than MicroB's old FF engine.

pronvit
2008-12-24, 22:51
You mean its 12 times faster than MicroB's engine, which is based on FF 3.0 alpha.

FF got js speed improvements with 3.0 (after that alpha) and 3.1 with the JIT, so its comparable right now. We just need a little update. FF memory allocation is far better than WebKit's. Neither JIT AFAIK works on ARM yet...

Are you sure? Latest FF 3.1b2 gives me only 40 points in V8 benchmark on pc (compare with 25 points for latest webkit on n810).

Bundyo
2008-12-24, 23:05
And that's 12 times? :)

Yes, I know latest WebKit engine is faster. Its just not that faster... :)

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/12/08/browser-speed-test-revisited-webkit-still-the-best-and-rips-opera-10-alpha-a-new-one/

Oh, and there's no ultimate benchmark... ;) I can probably dig up one that will show FF in the lead... :)

pronvit
2008-12-24, 23:28
And that's 12 times? :)

Yes, I know latest WebKit engine is faster. Its just not that faster... :)

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/12/08/browser-speed-test-revisited-webkit-still-the-best-and-rips-opera-10-alpha-a-new-one/

Hm..
Try to go to http://code.google.com/apis/v8/run.html with microb or Tear, what do you see? And compare with my screenshot in first post

Bundyo
2008-12-24, 23:31
Are you actually reading before posting? :)

Let me quote that to make myself clear:

better javascript engine which is 12 times faster than mozilla.

No, its not. Maybe it is from MicroB.

pronvit
2008-12-24, 23:46
MicroB is Mozilla-based browser for Maemo. When we're in N810 forum, what's the difference between "faster than mozilla" and "faster than microb"?

Or you thought 12 times faster than mozilla means mozilla on PC? :D

Bundyo
2008-12-25, 00:01
Mozilla is a generalization, its the company now, the engine is Gecko. I do not refer to MicroB as Mozilla, since its just a branch, there's also Fennec for instance. I don't refer to FF or Thunderbird as Mozilla too... :D

I like webkit (and porting to maemo) actually because of one reason - better javascript engine which is 12 times faster than mozilla.

You said you were porting... porting from where? Yes, I understood Mozilla for PC. I still understand it that way :P

Anyway, case closed.

pronvit
2008-12-26, 01:57
I updated first post with installation instructions

tso
2008-12-26, 03:05
i think ill wait for the kinks to be ironed out.

qwerty12
2008-12-26, 10:12
Tried this out, really impressed with the speed. So thank you pronvit for this.

The massive libicudata.so.38.1 library can be moved to a [vfat] mmc and symlinked back to /usr/lib fine.

n9mjg
2008-12-26, 12:08
Wow, just tried out gmail. I don't know if it's 12 times or not, but it is WAY faster! Thank You.

zehjotkah
2008-12-26, 12:30
How fast is it on Google Maps (with StreetView)?

iskarion
2008-12-26, 16:45
Indeed the Javascript performance is quite impressive.

Is there already a Browser for Maemo available, using the new Tracemonkey Javascript enginge which will be introduced with Firefox 3.1? Would be interesting to see a direct comparision between Webkit and Tracemonkey on the N8x0. As far as I understand even in the new Fennec Alpha 2, Tracemonkey isn't enabled yet.

At least on my desktop computer there doesn't seem to be a big difference between the Webkit nightly builds and Firefox 3.1 as far as Javascript performance is concerned. On some pages Firefox 3.1 seems to be a bit faster on others Webkit is a tad faster... But overall the difference is barely noticable.

BrentDC
2008-12-26, 18:52
Just a few glitches noticed (not including the ones you already listed):

1) The keyboard doesn't come up when tapping in a password field (but does everywhere else)
2) The keyboard automatically comes up on many websites that place the curser in a field, which can be a little annoying (for example, Google)
3) The hardware buttons like Zoom +/- and fullscreen don't work (but using the menu to do these functions does)
4) The scrollbar is really jumpy and stutters a lot

pronvit
2008-12-26, 22:39
I uploaded new webkit-eal package (0.0.6)

fixed problems with links opening in new window
now entering string in url field that doesn't look like url will launch google search, if it looks like web address, then http:// or ftp:// will be prepended automatically

iskarion,
now I'm trying to rebuild microb engine and then will try to update its javascript engine with latest from FF 3.1b to see how fast is it. it seems that to update engine isn't hard but I'm getting different strange errors when building even default microb-engine package

BrentDC,
I'll check issues with keyboard (I always use hardware keyboard on n810)
hardware buttons work when input focus is on browser (not web page), eg. on url field.

BrentDC
2008-12-26, 22:48
That's strange. For me, on my N800, the only button that works (albeit extremely intermittently) is the menu key. The zoom and fullscreen buttons are totally dead; it doesn't matter where the focus is (field, image, window, etc.)

Keep up the good work!

pronvit
2008-12-26, 23:10
BrentDC, really strange. but in any case this is still need to be fixed in proper way so I hope it will then work on any model

meizirkki
2008-12-27, 00:01
Fullscreen, zoom, esc, and menu are all dead on my n810 too, but it does not matter, other keys are ok.

pronvit, you are GENIUS! :D

Google Reader was painful to use with old engine, now it is really fast and useful, 12 times faster i would say ;)

EDIT: All hw keys are now working... (maybe something to do with multiple windows?)

iskarion
2008-12-27, 11:21
now I'm trying to rebuild microb engine and then will try to update its javascript engine with latest from FF 3.1b to see how fast is it. it seems that to update engine isn't hard but I'm getting different strange errors when building even default microb-engine package
Meanwhile I figured out how to enable Tracemonkey for Fennec Alpha 2
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=252780&postcount=16
With Tracemonkey enabled, the Javascript performance is quite comparable to Webkit.

allnameswereout
2008-12-27, 14:46
if it looks like web address, then http:// or ftp:// will be prepended automatically

Thank you. This bug was very annoying to me.

TrueJournals
2008-12-27, 15:45
Great to see downloads, but not popping up the on-screen keyboard for password fields is a show-stopper for me and my n800 currently (although I do plan on purchasing a bluetooth keyboard...). Rendering random pages seemed to work well, though, and way faster than microb!

derhorst
2008-12-27, 17:24
All I can say is: WOW, great job:D
With the default engine for example engadget took forever to load, webkit is much faster. I hope we will see this on Pandora one day.

Picklesworth
2008-12-28, 03:38
I installed your packages to test them out. I installed this with "sudo dpkg -i package1 package2 package3" in the terminal; the less hair-raising alternative to "red pill mode".

This is a nice package. I really like that you've made it easy to switch between browser rendering engines. (Although it would be nice if the little app for that was listed in the Control Panel instead of the main menu).

Awesomely fast! With the old Gecko engine, it was EMBARASSING how long it took to load the locally stored home page. With the webkit engine, that page is rendered and usable much more quickly. Google maps operates better, too, although Street View doesn't seem to work. (Just gives a grey box).

The lack of finger scrolling so far isn't too bad. I'm liking being able to select things so easily. (Although I wouldn't mind having finger scroll back).

The widget with the web page hoardes any events sent to it, so key events like Fullscreen and Menu, even though unused, do not make their way out to the parent widget while it is focused. Widgets which do that are a pet peve of mine ;)

Again, this is astoundingly great. Practically seamless, too. Fantastic work. If not Main, may this hit Extras with grace and dignity!

tso
2008-12-28, 05:03
seems i may have overestimated the bulk of libicu.

have it all installed now, and throwing engadget or cnet at webkit is kinda fun to watch. what takes longest is the darn adds ;)

bhaskar
2008-12-28, 06:17
Great Job.

Zoom keys and full screen switch doesn't work.

pronvit
2008-12-28, 15:35
Thank you for all your good words, I'm glad you like this project. Now I'm trying to fix found problems, will post update when it's done.
And happy holidays!

TrueJournals
2008-12-28, 18:07
Please also consider releasing the source! Personally, I doubt there's much I could do with it, but I'm sure some others would be happy to continue and expand on your work to make this even better!

Munk
2008-12-28, 18:39
Hi pronvit,

I'm loving this. It's awesome so far.

Is it me or is Flash even playing faster which would make no sense to me? I'm rewatching youtube videos again and there IS less to no frame skipping. I uninstalled some stuff to free up space before installing webkit so this could be the reason for the difference. A flash benchmark will reveal the truth.

Here are my findings on the problems:
1. It crashes most every time a page is loading and I click the stop icon. when I try to browse after stopping is when it crashes.

2. when typing like I am right now, I have to hold the shift or ctrl button while typing a letter or upper case letter. I can't just click the shift key, let go, then type the 'i' key to get a capital 'I'.

3. I have to click either the inner browser window or the outer frame to get certain things to work. If I want the min/max to work I have to first touch the outer frame or the min/max will not work. If I want my scroll hardware to scroll the page up or down I have to first give focus (touch) the web page first.

4. If I scroll down to the middle or bottom of a page and then click through to another, the scroll bars are left where I was on the previous page. ie half way down, etc.

5. I can't shut off flash. I personally have it off most all of the time to save processing time, memory and not see stupid advertisements.

6. Wherever I browse, within a website, the url does not update page to page. So on internettablettalk I am still showing as being at the main url even though I am on this thread.

Thanks again and I hope some of this helps.

pronvit
2008-12-28, 18:56
Please also consider releasing the source! Personally, I doubt there's much I could do with it, but I'm sure some others would be happy to continue and expand on your work to make this even better!

http://mifki.s3-external-3.amazonaws.com/webkit-eal_0.0.6.tar.bz2
http://mifki.s3.amazonaws.com/engine-chooser_0.0.2-1%2Bmifki1.tar.bz2

webkit itself from nightly builds page, in browser-daemon only preloading microb engine removed, browser-eal and microb-eal updated to latest versions without changes

sMiLo
2008-12-29, 05:23
Question!

How could you compile webkit nightly version R39370 on scratchbox?
When I tried, I got this error message in the configure step.

configure: error: You need at least version 2.2 of the 'bison' parser generator to compile WebKit correctly for ARM

To solve this problem, I compiled and installed bison 2.4 on scratchbox.
Finally I passed this problem, and then completed configure step.

But in the compile step, I got new error message.

/usr/local/bin/./bison -d -p cssyy WebCore/css/CSSGrammar.y -o ./DerivedSources/CSSGrammar.cpp
WebCore/css/CSSGrammar.y:352.11-20: symbol maybe_sgml redefined
make: *** [DerivedSources/CSSGrammar.cpp] Error 1

How could you solve this problem?

Bundyo
2008-12-29, 06:43
You need bison 2.2, its not working with bison 2.4. I had the same problem before.

I have 39474 compiled and working if someone wants it (and with more features enabled). 100/100 on Acid 3.

http://bundyo.org/maemo/webkit/libwebkit-1.0-1_1.0-svn39474_armel.deb

And dev:
http://bundyo.org/maemo/webkit/libwebkit-dev_1.0-svn39474_all.deb

Thanks to pronvit for hinting me that my builds were working from the beginning and the problem was in my TV. :)

pronvit
2008-12-29, 06:53
yes, use bison 2.2, sometimes newer doesn't mean better:)

pronvit
2008-12-29, 07:21
Bundyo, open WebCore/platform/network/curl/ResourceHandleManager.cpp and replace m_cookieJarFileName(0) with m_cookieJarFileName("/home/user/.webkitcookies") for cookies to work. I can't find way to set this from outside

Bundyo
2008-12-29, 07:45
Reuploaded them with the cookie fix.

sMiLo
2008-12-29, 07:50
You need bison 2.2, its not working with bison 2.4. I had the same problem before.

Thank you very much! :)
I will try it!

sMiLo
2008-12-29, 08:03
Bundyo, open WebCore/platform/network/curl/ResourceHandleManager.cpp and replace m_cookieJarFileName(0) with m_cookieJarFileName("/home/user/.webkitcookies") for cookies to work. I can't find way to set this from outside

Webkit does not support perpect cookie handling yet.
Refer this link :
https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14730

pronvit
2008-12-29, 08:32
Webkit does not support perpect cookie handling yet.
Refer this link :
https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14730

yes, but with my small change it works fine, libcurl does everything.

pronvit
2008-12-30, 00:29
Spent two days trying to recomplile microb-engine (mozilla) with their new javascript engine.. I thought it will be easier to add fast engine to microb than implement everything in webkit (downloads, finger nav and so on)
But it seems to be impossible. Their code is too weird. So now I'll finally do my primary job and then continue to work on webkit. bye-bye mozilla..

pronvit
2008-12-30, 04:56
Please try my new version. It's somewhat experimental because I implemented finger scrolling in unusual way.

The problem with finger scrolling is that (without hacking webkit) I don't know if motion event will be handled by javascript on the page (for example to pan google maps, to select text (however this isn't javascript-related)) or I can use it for scrolling. That's why simple implementation when any tap+move = scroll is very bad.

Instead of this I reserved 100px scrolling areas in right and bottom parts of window. So when you tap and move near right edge you will scroll vertically, and near bottom edge to scroll horizontally. Moving in remaining window area will pass this events to page for handling in javascript. So think of my implementation as of wide invisible scrollbars. Btw, I removed default scrollbars.

For me such solution is quite convenient. Try it and tell me what do you think.

Oh, download link: http://mifki.s3.amazonaws.com/webkit-eal_0.0.7_armel.deb

upd. Fullscreen/zoom keys now should work too!

tso
2008-12-30, 06:30
i just managed to download that first version, but now im looking at a access denied error. like the scrolling solution tho. seems one can do scrolling on the whole page as long as one drag out of one of the "zones"...

see a fair bit of tearing while scrolling tho...

pronvit
2008-12-30, 06:39
i just managed to download that first version, but now im looking at a access denied error. like the scrolling solution tho. seems one can do scrolling on the whole page as long as one drag out of one of the "zones"...

see a fair bit of tearing while scrolling tho...

fixed dl link.

tso
2008-12-30, 06:56
thanks, really love the scolling as i get used to it.

just need some small indicators about where in the page one have scrolled...

pronvit
2008-12-30, 07:00
thanks, really love the scolling as i get used to it.

just need some small indicators about where in the page one have scrolled...

have one idea about this but don't know yet how to implement, will try

tso
2008-12-30, 07:11
played around a but and the page tearing seems to mostly happen when browsing this very forum using the minimalism theme...

and when can we expect password inputs and full screen keyboard to work?

im tempted to say that i want to use this as my main engine already! :D

pronvit
2008-12-31, 06:06
New version is here with several important changes!

First of all, problem with onscreen keyboard and password fields finally solved (but no fullscreen keyboard support yet). Also some problems with switching hardware keyboard language fixed, hardware menu and back buttons fixed.

I had to add some changes to webkit library itself and to avoid conflicts with other versions (eg. provided by Bundyo) I now install my own version of webkit in webkit-eal package. So you can remove libwebkit package or install whatever version you like and it won't interfere with my webkit engine, just update webkit-eal, everything is inside.

webkit-eal_0.0.8_armel.deb (http://mifki.s3.amazonaws.com/webkit-eal_0.0.8_armel.deb)

Forgot, url field now correcly updated when navigating.

TrueJournals
2008-12-31, 06:47
Hmmm... it doesn't seem to work anymore.... Installed webkit-eal 0.0.8, switched engine, but browser just shows a blank window when opened, and I can't get to any websites...

pronvit
2008-12-31, 07:07
Hmm.. maybe I broke something....
try reboot device or in terminal run '/etc/init.d/tablet-browser-daemon restart' as root

qwerty12
2008-12-31, 07:30
Hmmm... it doesn't seem to work anymore.... Installed webkit-eal 0.0.8, switched engine, but browser just shows a blank window when opened, and I can't get to any websites...

Same here, browser window just stays white. Restarted browserd as root and got:

browserd[11895]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GModule - g_module_symbol: assertion `module != NULL' failed
browserd[11895]: GLIB CRITICAL ** GModule - g_module_symbol: assertion `module != NULL' failed
browserd[11904]: GLIB DEBUG default - memory_low_ind = 0, system_inactivity_ind: 0
-:3: Invalid color constant 'SelectionColor'
-:3: error: invalid string constant "SelectionColor", expected valid string constant
browserd[11904]: GLIB DEBUG ConIc - con_ic_connection_send_event(0x287408, 63f36c7d-5de9-47ca-ac99-4d065a2eed5a, WLAN_INFRA, 0)
browserd[11904]: GLIB DEBUG default - connection_cb(0x287408, 63f36c7d-5de9-47ca-ac99-4d065a2eed5a, WLAN_INFRA, 0, 0) count -1
browserd[11904]: GLIB DEBUG default - connection_cb(0x287408, 63f36c7d-5de9-47ca-ac99-4d065a2eed5a, WLAN_INFRA, 0, 0) connected

OpnSrcAddict
2008-12-31, 07:35
Same issue here, reboot does not resolve it.

pronvit
2008-12-31, 07:38
Same here, browser window just stays white. Restarted browserd as root and got:

what
ls -all /usr/lib/libw*
will output?

qwerty12
2008-12-31, 07:47
what
ls -all /usr/lib/libw*
will output?

Output of that command:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2008-12-31 07:26 /usr/lib/libwebkit-eal.so.0 -> libwebkit-eal.so.0.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 64108 2008-12-31 07:44 /usr/lib/libwebkit-eal.so.0.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-12-31 07:26 /usr/lib/libwebkit-mifki.so.1 -> libwebkit-mifki.so.1.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7552064 2008-12-31 05:27 /usr/lib/libwebkit-mifki.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2008-12-04 12:18 /usr/lib/libwpeditor.so.0 -> libwpeditor.so.0.0.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 80844 2008-03-27 08:29 /usr/lib/libwpeditor.so.0.0.0

pronvit
2008-12-31, 08:03
Ou.. it seems I installed some newer libraries in my development environment that aren't present on devices. And actually aren't required, I installed them for another project. So I need to clean dev environment and rebuild packages, this will take some time, sorry.

pronvit
2008-12-31, 17:35
I reuploaded webkit-eal package, recompiled it with right libraries, now it should work!

qwerty12
2008-12-31, 17:40
Yep, thank you, works brilliantly here.

allnameswereout
2008-12-31, 21:52
Hmm, I can't scroll down. When I use my finger up to down it scrolls from left to right instead. Using your latest 0.8 webkit.

supergadgetman
2008-12-31, 22:24
I installed the 6 webkit debs from the first post on my n800. The Install went ok. But now I notice when I go to application manager to check for updates to my installed apps, its listing SSU 5.2008.43.7 with a broken status. When i click on info its telling me that its broken and cannot install because the following application packages are missing:
browser-eal (=0.0.9-8
microb-eal (=0.3.7-1.21)
tablet-browser-daemon (=0.0.13)

I already installed this latest ssu for diablo a couple of weeks ago and its working fine so I know that it does not need to be installed. But I cant get this out of my software list in app manager. Is there a way for me to clear this broken SSU update from my list?
Is there a way for me to "undue" the webkit install to clear this?
Thanks

derhorst
2008-12-31, 22:26
Hmm, I can't scroll down. When I use my finger up to down it scrolls from left to right instead. Using your latest 0.8 webkit.

On my N800 scrolling works.

Thanks again for this beautiful browser enhancement:)
I have one request, could you make the finger scrolling optional, please? I'd really like to have the scrollbars back, because it is much faster to jump to the bottom or top of the page. I usually use the scrollbar very often, especially in fora.

pronvit
2008-12-31, 22:46
yes, i'll make finger scrolling optional. however I can't add menu item to browser UI to quickly toggle it, maybe I'll think of something else, eg. keyboard shortcut

supergadgetman, go to red pill mode, select to show all packages and from available packages install system software UNLOCKED package. found it? this will fix dependency errors.

allnameswereout, and when moving finger from left to right? didn't you install any software for screen rotation or is there something else unusual with your system?

meizirkki
2008-12-31, 22:47
I installed the 6 webkit debs from the first post on my n800. The Install went ok. But now I notice when I go to application manager to check for updates to my installed apps, its listing SSU 5.2008.43.7 with a broken status. When i click on info its telling me that its broken and cannot install because the following application packages are missing:
browser-eal (=0.0.9-8
microb-eal (=0.3.7-1.21)
tablet-browser-daemon (=0.0.13)

I already installed this latest ssu for diablo a couple of weeks ago and its working fine so I know that it does not need to be installed. But I cant get this out of my software list in app manager. Is there a way for me to clear this broken SSU update from my list?
Is there a way for me to "undue" the webkit install to clear this?
Thanks

Install osso-software-rx44-unlocked with redpill-mode. unlocked software version allows you to use upgraded system packages like browser-things.

scrolling is not working here btw...

EDIT: scrooling works now

pronvit
2008-12-31, 22:58
EDIT: scrooling works now

what changed? I mean is scrolling isn't stable and doesn't work from time to time or now it's ok? I just need to know if I should try to find error in my code or no

supergadgetman
2008-12-31, 23:09
yes, i'll make finger scrolling optional. however I can't add menu item to browser UI to quickly toggle it, maybe I'll think of something else, eg. keyboard shortcut

supergadgetman, go to red pill mode, select to show all packages and from available packages install system software UNLOCKED package. found it? this will fix dependency errors.

allnameswereout, and when moving finger from left to right? didn't you install any software for screen rotation or is there something else unusual with your system?

Thanks for the reply. I am in red pill mode now and it lists 3 (three) OS2008 Feature upgrades. They all say (unlocked), but they have differnt sizes. 0.3 MB, 7 KB, and 8.0 MB. I tried to install, but all 3 give the same error that its unable to install due to conflicting application packages. The funny thing is that I have had this feature upgrade installed for two weeks already, and it installed fine. After installing the webkit debs application manager is telling me that I need to install the OS2008 feature upgrade again. Not sure what to do at this point.

meizirkki
2008-12-31, 23:25
what changed? I mean is scrolling isn't stable and doesn't work from time to time or now it's ok? I just need to know if I should try to find error in my code or no

Nah, i just read the message that it work only in right border... :rolleyes:

But i would really like to have scrolling area in the left border too... i am left handed and i have mostly used left border for scrolling.

pronvit
2008-12-31, 23:40
Nah, i just read the message that it work only in right border... :rolleyes:

But i would really like to have scrolling area in the left border too... i am left handed and i have mostly used left border for scrolling.

ok, i'll add options to select side and so on. i just need to keep compromise between size of scrolling area(s) and space left for eg. text selection on page

meizirkki
2008-12-31, 23:53
What about having ability to switch finger scroll completely off ? Like in MidBrowser.. scroll works with whole screen or nowhere. Just throwing ideas :)

BrentDC
2009-01-01, 00:15
For your information, scrolling, albeit with choppyness, has been working here with latest version.

I also agree that there needs to ba a way to jump up and down a long page easily.

I don't know if it is possible, but could a new menu entry be added to browser-ui? Like:

Windows->
Webpage->
Edit->
View->
Navigation->
Tools->
Close->
Webkit-> Start Webkit
......................Settings
......................About

Where Start Webkit shuts down MicroB and loads Webkit and Settings let's you choose handedness, whether to use finger scrolling or traditional stylus scrolling, enable/disable certain things etc. and About, is well About :)

Also, any chance of smooth kinetic scrolling? I'm probably dreaming...

Just some brainstorming.

iamthewalrus
2009-01-01, 10:29
One thing that annoys me about Microb is that when fingerscrolling I sometimes hit a button or link by accident (especially annoying since the other way of scrolling, with the dpad is broken too because it gets 'stuck') . Since I scroll more than I click on links I think it would be great if links and buttons would be activated only when double tapped or when some hardware key is pressed simultaneously. I don't know if this can be done at the rendering engine - level or that it is a Microb issue.

allnameswereout
2009-01-01, 10:33

Nothing of that kind.

I think instead of scrolling it tries to select text.

Going to http://www.wikipedia.org scrolling works. Although sometimes it selects text instead.

Going to http://maps.google.com doesn't work. OS2008 website does not work either. Neither does Google Calendar.

tso
2009-01-01, 23:14
bumped into a couple of bugs so far:

1. the page will jump to the bottom if one tries to scroll down right after page load. but one can counteract by using dpad or scroll upwards first.

2. webkit cant make the wifi autoconnect. and will sit there spinning even if the connection is then manually activated.

TrueJournals
2009-01-01, 23:40
I just realized a couple hours ago that you can scroll normally by using the dpad. I really find this to be one of the BIGGEST improvements over microb. Using dpad to go to different links always annoyed me and was never really useful.

I've also ran into the page jump bug. It's not a HUGE deal, just a little annoying.

Another thing I ran into: I had three windows open, and the browser slowed down, and eventually crashed. The three pages were: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=253724#post253724 , http://www.semsons.com/amabg108blgp.html , and http://www.retailmenot.com/view/semsons.com Overally, retailmenot.com seemed to kill the browser, but I haven't done testing to see if this was just webkit, or the tablet not having enough processing power in general.

tso
2009-01-01, 23:43
iirc, diablo (or one of the SSUs) removed the "jump to link" in microb for dpad scrolling...

pronvit
2009-01-02, 00:00
allnameswereout, now I understand why it doesn't work for you. If it selects text instead of scrolling then maybe you starting outside of scroll region. On OS2008 website it doesn't work because there's flash occupying all page width and I can't intercept click/move events there. Use dpad. maps.google.com adapt to your screen size, there's simply nothing to scroll. And finally google calendar.. hm.. it works for me. are you sure it doesn't?

tso, thank you, will fix.

TrueJournals, really? I was sad that can't make dpad work as in microb. I also think that dpad for scrolling is better, now I won't even try. Yes, there may be problems with stability when many pages opened, webkit now eats quite much memory. I'll try to optimize it when other problems fixed.

Btw, tso, TrueJournals, do you have problems with finger scrolling? password fields work ok?

tso
2009-01-02, 00:02
not sure what you mean about finger scrolling. the scrolling areas seems to work ok, except my first point above.

password fields seems to be working fine.

TrueJournals
2009-01-02, 00:29
tso: Nope, jump to link is still in my microb, running the latest SSU, 5.2008.43-7.

pronvit: Finger scrolling within the specified area works fine for me (again, except for the "jump to bottom" thing). Password fields are also working fine. I even noticed that the fullscreen button works as expected. I did notice that, at least on gmail, the scrollbars do show up. I suspect this has something to do with frames?

BrentDC
2009-01-02, 00:33
@TrueJournals

There is a file you can edit that changes the behavior of Microb's scrolling: Link vs Line vs Page, etc. It's in the Wiki somewhere, I'm sure.

Edit: http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=Internet:Microb_Hardware_Key_bindi ngs

pronvit
2009-01-02, 00:50
TrueJournals, yes, gmail uses complex page structure with many frames, topmost frame adapts to window size and there's nothing to scroll, and then inner frame have its own scrollbar which you see and which I can't control

Bundyo
2009-01-02, 00:55
@TrueJournals: MicroB has dpad scrolling, but you have to hold the button down for a second/two to start scrolling...

allnameswereout
2009-01-02, 12:45
allnameswereout, now I understand why it doesn't work for you. If it selects text instead of scrolling then maybe you starting outside of scroll region. On OS2008 website it doesn't work because there's flash occupying all page width and I can't intercept click/move events there. Use dpad. maps.google.com adapt to your screen size, there's simply nothing to scroll. And finally google calendar.. hm.. it works for me. are you sure it doesn't?

I'll try on some more websites, but I think the scrolling region might be the problem. I think it occured because the website scrolled from left to right (did not fit on the screen horizontally)?

In any case the scrolling region is not ideal. In almost all cases a user would want to scroll instead of select text. I suggest hw key + scrolling becomes selecting text.

pronvit
2009-01-02, 15:35
I suggest hw key + scrolling becomes selecting text.

ok, I'll try for example fn+tap/move to be text selection to see if this is convenient. in any case i'm going to make this configurable in next version.

tso
2009-01-02, 15:38
heh, just dont forget about us N800 users ;)

allnameswereout
2009-01-02, 15:39
ok, I'll try for example fn+tap/move to be text selection to see if this is convenient. in any case i'm going to make this configurable in next version.

Thanks. It might take some research to figure out what is the most user friendly way to deal with this.

I don't know how Fennec deals with this.

Safari on iPhone probably doesn't allow selecting text at all as it doesn't have copy/paste function.

pronvit
2009-01-02, 15:58
tso, ou... really.. hm.. ok, I'll invent something and for you (n800 users) too:) maybe dpad center then?

buhao
2009-01-02, 16:17
I just finished reading every single post and I am very excited. I am relatively new to really configuring my n800 to work how I want it to. I like having the options, but I can't help but think the average end user would be quite intimidated by all the tinkering and patience involved. microB is ok, but has some almost intolerable speed and navigation problems IMO. Here is what I have as far as questions/suggestions

To install, is the first post updated with the latest method and files? To me it doesn't look like it is, just because of the date on it, but the files it links to could be updated without the post being updated. I got a bit confused after reading everything of what files to get, which red-pill to take, if I actually need the drugs, and if I need to configure a bunch of options on it when I do install it. If it is not updated could I suggest editing it so that it links to a separate page that is the most current. The more time users are allowed to use the software the faster they can give you feedback and the development can be sped up.

Would it be possible, make all the options configurable similar to in firefox when navigating to about:config? Then restart the browser and all the newly configured options are enabled. Could this be used to make it easy for the user to enable/disable scroll bars, disable/enable webkit?

I also like the idea of "keybinds" for lack of a better term, that use taps in combination with hardware keys, but I think there should be a simple way for the user to define them.

When using the virtual scroll bar version, is there a way to click on links that are under the virtual scroll bar? Maybe this is not an issue, but since my n800 is out on repair and I cannot try for myself just yet, I can only guess what it looks and how it functions. Speaking of that, could someone post a current screen capture? I would like to see what it looks like :)

One more thought. Could there be a way to make the address bar etc. on the bottom either semi transparent or only visible when I am at the top or bottom of the page? Then if it was easy to set the virtual scroll bar so that a double tap on the very top or bottom brings the user back to the address bar, much real estate would be gained.

Sorry for the novella length post. I like how this discussion is going and hope it continues. I think you are really on to something good and I would like to help if I can.

Thanks for the hard work and effort!

@ tso, n800 4ever. You can have my pop out camera, but you'll have to pry my dual full size SD slots from my cold, dead hands ;)

pronvit
2009-01-03, 08:32
To install, is the first post updated with the latest method and files? To me it doesn't look like it is, just because of the date on it, but the files it links to could be updated without the post being updated. I got a bit confused after reading everything of what files to get, which red-pill to take, if I actually need the drugs, and if I need to configure a bunch of options on it when I do install it. If it is not updated could I suggest editing it so that it links to a separate page that is the most current.

I update first post always and links are to latest version. Yes, I know, installation is somewhat complicated. But there's one reason for this which I can't fix. Don't want to write much technical details here so I'll just say that (thanks to Nokia) default microB engine is hard-coded in browser daemon and its startup script. So to use my webkit engine you have to install several fixed packages. They are system packages and application manager will allow to install them only in 'red-pill mode'. That's only reason why installation is so complex and I currently don't know how to fix it. (There is one not so good solution, maybe I'll try it.)

Would it be possible, make all the options configurable similar to in firefox when navigating to about:config? Then restart the browser and all the newly configured options are enabled. Could this be used to make it easy for the user to enable/disable scroll bars, disable/enable webkit?

Not sure that using about:config but all options will be configurable in next version. Currently there's already separate application to easily switch microb/webkit.

When using the virtual scroll bar version, is there a way to click on links that are under the virtual scroll bar? Maybe this is not an issue, but since my n800 is out on repair and I cannot try for myself just yet, I can only guess what it looks and how it functions. Speaking of that, could someone post a current screen capture? I would like to see what it looks like :)

Of course, links can be clicked.

One more thought. Could there be a way to make the address bar etc. on the bottom either semi transparent or only visible when I am at the top or bottom of the page? Then if it was easy to set the virtual scroll bar so that a double tap on the very top or bottom brings the user back to the address bar, much real estate would be gained.

I almost can't change anything in browser ui because it's closed-source, but for address bar I see one solution, I'll try.

gladiac
2009-01-03, 12:08
On the latest OS2008, libicu40 is installed. Why don't you build against this version?

pronvit
2009-01-03, 12:15
On the latest OS2008, libicu40 is installed. Why don't you build against this version?

Are you sure? I don't see it.

gladiac
2009-01-03, 12:22
Strange, I could swear it was installed 2 days ago :)

Un27Pee
2009-01-03, 12:53
red pill mode seems to show today i was doing clean up it was there will check again

Bundyo
2009-01-03, 14:11

libicu40 is in Diablo Extras-devel. If he builds with this version, it won't work with Chinook one, while with 38, 40 should work as well.

meizirkki
2009-01-03, 14:11
Are you sure? I don't see it.

Not installed, but available @ diablo extras-devel

pronvit
2009-01-03, 14:28
changing 38 from chinook extras to 40 from diablo won't help much

in any case I applied (and finally fixed bug in it) anti-icu patch so next version won't depend on libicu at all

Bundyo
2009-01-03, 14:41
Yeah, seems its possible to replace it with GLib:

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15914

allnameswereout
2009-01-03, 18:13
FYI: Theoretical solution with mock-up to solve scroll/select issue in touchscreen UI w/o using hw key. (http://tabletui.wordpress.com/2008/12/31/new-year-countdown-series-10)

pronvit
2009-01-03, 18:30
allnameswereout, nice article but I completely don't agree with him. And this won't fix our problem at all.

I solved problem another way, like it's done on laptops with trackpads. Press/release somewhere and then press again in almost exactly the same point and move to select.

semiquaver
2009-01-03, 21:28
apt-get is broken for me after installing. Now any command produces the following:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
osso-software-version-rx34: Depends: browser-eal (= 0.0.9-8) but 0.1.8-1 is to be installed
Depends: microb-eal (= 0.3.7-1.21) but 0.3.7-1.21+mifki1 is to be installed
Depends: tablet-browser-daemon (= 0.0.13) but 0.2.2+mifki1 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

pronvit
2009-01-03, 22:05
apt-get is broken for me after installing. Now any command produces the following:

dpkg --force-all -r osso-software-version-rx44
apt-get install osso-software-version-rx44-unlocked

meizirkki
2009-01-03, 22:12
He seems to be using n800, so:

apt-get install -f
apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34-unlocked

tso
2009-01-04, 01:44
just bumped into a somewhat odd bug.

when i brought up the onscreen finger keyboard i was greeted with text that i had entered using it, hours earlier.

pronvit
2009-01-04, 01:50
just bumped into a somewhat odd bug.

when i brought up the onscreen finger keyboard i was greeted with text that i had entered using it, hours earlier.

yes, fullscreen keyboard isn't supported currently. this means I don't update it with correct text when it pops up and so on

allnameswereout
2009-01-04, 18:41
allnameswereout, nice article but I completely don't agree with him. And this won't fix our problem at all.

I solved problem another way, like it's done on laptops with trackpads. Press/release somewhere and then press again in almost exactly the same point and move to select.

:) OK. This is same as a double click, correct?

tso
2009-01-04, 18:50
heh, that article reminds me that i have been voicing a thought about putting some kind of mark/select switch in the edit section of most windows menus.

tap ones to turn mark on, mark text, tap action to perform and mark will turn off, optionally tap mark again to turn it off...

tso
2009-01-05, 03:29
dont know how it came to be, but every time i try to use webkit i get a double free error from glibc, with the finger being pointed at browserd.

this happens when i tap one of the scroll areas...

seems a reboot cleared it, but i still wonder...

pronvit
2009-01-05, 06:09
heh, that article reminds me that i have been voicing a thought about putting some kind of mark/select switch in the edit section of most windows menus.

tap ones to turn mark on, mark text, tap action to perform and mark will turn off, optionally tap mark again to turn it off...

yes, idea itself is good, but in that article some strange actions proposed such as dragging selected text to the icon, tapping place to insert to (instead of cursor position). In our case just icon on toolbar which will switch between scroll/select modes is enough but unfortunately I can't change default browser UI.

soon will upload new version, with configurable settings, without libicu dependency and now only one package, no need to install custom versions of microb-eal, browser-eal and tablet-browser-daemon.

tso
2009-01-05, 08:03
looks forward to it :D

heh, just having some kind of central clipboard like tool wuld have been nice.

any idea why webkit seems to choke on this forums minimal theme, btw?

pronvit
2009-01-05, 15:02
who wants to test my new version? please tell me if there are any problems with installation. You can find settings in GConf at /apps/osso/browser/webkit, turn key documentation on to see what values mean.

If you installed my previous packages you MUST issue following commands in terminal as root BEFORE installing this new package:

dpkg --force-all -r microb-eal browser-eal tablet-browser-daemon
apt-get install microb-eal browser-eal tablet-browser-daemon

You also should remove engine-chooser and libicu38 packages since they aren't used anymore.

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=862

will write detailed description later

meizirkki
2009-01-05, 15:05
i'll test with fresh flash after a while

fiferboy
2009-01-05, 15:38
pronvit: Your uninstall instructions worked for me (although I also removed engine-chooser since your new package includes it). I don't know if this is the case all the time, but I had to reboot before I could use webkit in the browser.

After rebooting, everything looks very nice! Finger scrolling works everywhere now, scrollbars are back for quick scrolling. The only reason I know I am using webkit currently is the high acid3 score, and the fact that downloads still aren't working.

Very nice work!

meizirkki
2009-01-05, 15:59
The only reason I know I am using webkit currently is the high acid3 score, and the fact that downloads still aren't working.
Very nice work!

Sounds funny ;)

fiferboy
2009-01-05, 16:00
It does sound funny, but I was looking for some way to tell that I was actually using webkit (not just imagining all the improvements) :)

meizirkki
2009-01-05, 16:47
Thanks, pronvit. Works really great.

supergadgetman
2009-01-05, 17:28
who wants to test my new version? please tell me if there are any problems with installation. You can find settings in GConf at /apps/osso/browser/webkit, turn key documentation on to see what values mean.

If you installed my previous packages you MUST issue following commands in terminal as root BEFORE installing this new package:

You also should remove engine-chooser and may remove libicu38 packages.

I installed your previous version, now Im trying to install this new version. I did the dpkg and the apt-get. Both of those went fine, but now I need to remove engine chooser and I dont see where its installed. Its not in app manager. Am I suppossed to remove this in xterm? Also I dont see libicu38 in app manager either. I know these need to be removed before I install the new version. Can I get some help how to remove engine-chooser and libicu38 packages?
T.I.A.

pronvit
2009-01-05, 17:31
I installed your previous version, now Im trying to install this new version. I did the dpkg and the apt-get. Both of those went fine, but now I need to remove engine chooser and I dont see where its installed. Its not in app manager. Am I suppossed to remove this in xterm? Also I dont see libicu38 in app manager either. I know these need to be removed before I install the new version. Can I get some help how to remove engine-chooser and libicu38 packages?
T.I.A.

You can run dpkg -r engine-chooser libicu38 in terminal. But this is optional, they are just not needed anymore but it's not required to remove them before installing new version.

supergadgetman
2009-01-05, 17:49
Thanks so much for the reply. I got engine chooser removed, but libicu38 complained that libwebkitgtk-1.0 depends in libicu38 so it wont let me remove it. Just to let you know I also have Tear web browser installed, but I am using your webkit instead of Bundyo's
Should I not worry about this error and just continue with the install?
T.I.A.

pronvit
2009-01-05, 17:56
Thanks so much for the reply. I got engine chooser removed, but libicu38 complained that libwebkitgtk-1.0 depends in libicu38 so it wont let me remove it. Just to let you know I also have Tear web browser installed, but I am using your webkit instead of Bundyo's
Should I not worry about this error and just continue with the install?
T.I.A.

Yes, don't worry so much:) Better re-download my package, I made it installable via app manager in normal mode.

Btw, my webkit will not work with Tear (library name changed, it will work after some modifications in xterm). This is done to avoid problems because Bundyo's webkit will not work with my package at all because several more functions added to my version.

supergadgetman
2009-01-05, 18:03
Yes, don't worry so much:) Better re-download my package, I made it installable via app manager in normal mode.

Btw, my webkit will not work with Tear (library name changed, it will work after some modifications in xterm). This is done to avoid problems because Bundyo's webkit will not work with my package at all because several more functions added to my version.

Oh Ok...I didnt know that. Thanks for the heads up. Can your webkit and Bundyo's webkit co-exist?

maacruz
2009-01-05, 18:08
Why don't both of you collaborate and maintain a single webkit package?

meizirkki
2009-01-05, 18:16

Or just tell me what are those changes in xterm (symlinks?)

pronvit
2009-01-05, 18:22
Oh Ok...I didnt know that. Thanks for the heads up. Can your webkit and Bundyo's webkit co-exist?

of course, that's why I renamed my package

maybe we can, but I just needed to add several functions to webkit in order to support correct text input in browser. so that my package became incompatible with Bundyo's webkit. and then to avoid conflicts and unwanted problems for users I included renamed webkit library into my package.

Bundyo also makes some changes to webkit, rebuilds it from latest SVN sources. I simply don't have time to coordinate all of this, my main priority is to provide package to users that's easy to install and will work for sure after installation and I don't want to think about and spend time for anything else, sorry.

Or just tell me what are those changes in xterm (symlinks?)
yes, symlinks. do ls -all /usr/lib/libwebkit* and you will see how standard webkit is called and how mine and you can made appropriate symlinks.

Bundyo
2009-01-05, 19:25
Password text input doesn't need any changes to the API exports, just a check in HTMLInputElement.cpp and two lines in webkitwebview.cpp to set the invisible input mode. Did you make other changes?

pronvit
2009-01-05, 19:46
Password text input doesn't need any changes to the API exports, just a check in HTMLInputElement.cpp and two lines in webkitwebview.cpp to set the invisible input mode. Did you make other changes?

even less - just one line in HTMLInputElement::shouldUseInputMethod()

but I didn't talk about password fields. I need its internal GtkIMContext to correctly support international input with hardware keyboard

buhao
2009-01-05, 19:59
Just got my n800 back from repair. I have tried to get this going on it, but to no luck so far. Everything proceeds ok until installing the tablet-browser_daemon. After choosing to install from the file downloaded from the first page, I get a pop up that says "Unable to update tablet-browser_daemon" Any suggestions?

pronvit
2009-01-05, 20:03
Just got my n800 back from repair. I have tried to get this going on it, but to no luck so far. Everything proceeds ok until installing the tablet-browser_daemon. After choosing to install from the file downloaded from the first page, I get a pop up that says "Unable to update tablet-browser_daemon" Any suggestions?

read this post http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=254590&postcount=133

you don't need to install anything except my new package. I'll update first post later.

buhao
2009-01-05, 20:07
Thanks. I will give it a try

buhao
2009-01-05, 20:41
That worked, but I had to power off and back on again. Is it necessary or a fluke? Thanks again.

nemo
2009-01-05, 21:41
Not sure if it's just because of some setting on my tablet or what, but after running:

Microb would open a window and just say "updating", even after rebooting.

After poking around a bit, I checked updates and it said I needed to update the SSU (although settings said I was already running it).

Anyhow, after updating it and rebooting everything works fine now.

Just wanted to share in case someone else runs into this.

Oh, and thanks for all the work, this is truly a nice addition to the normal browser!

Frank Banul
2009-01-05, 21:53
Hi,

I tried out webkit. I had my home page set to Speeddial posted elsewhere in the forum and that no longer works with webkit. Another item I miss is the keyboard shortcuts, Cntl-B to bring up the bookmarks and space bar to page down.

Definitely neat and very impressive considering the current development time.

Hope that helps.

Frank

pronvit
2009-01-05, 21:58
Hi,

I tried out webkit. I had my home page set to Speeddial posted elsewhere in the forum and that no longer works with webkit. Another item I miss is the keyboard shortcuts, Cntl-B to bring up the bookmarks and space bar to page down.

Definitely neat and very impressive considering the current development time.

Hope that helps.

Frank

Shortcuts are not a problem, will fix.

What exactly doesn't work with homepage? You need to re-set it in settings. Just tried to change default one to google.com and it works.

Frank Banul
2009-01-05, 22:04
What exactly doesn't work with homepage? You need to re-set it in settings. Just tried to change default one to google.com and it works.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16756

This is java script page that puts up 4x3 buttons of the last pages you have accessed. I changed the home page to point to that file but it currently loads blank. Most likely nothing wrong with webkit.

Frank

pronvit
2009-01-05, 22:08
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16756

This is jave script page that puts up 4x3 buttons of the last pages you have accessed. I changed the home page to point to that file but it currently loads blank. Most likely nothing wrong with webkit.

Frank

Oh, yes, that functionality (reading list of last pages) is very mozilla-specific, it won't work on webkit. I'll think about how to implement same thing for webkit.

Frank Banul
2009-01-05, 22:09
Oh, yes, that functionality (reading list of last pages) is very mozilla-specific, it won't work on webkit. I'll think about how to implement same thing for webkit.

Do you sleep? :)

buhao
2009-01-05, 22:18

lol. lets just hope he keeps on doing whatever he is doing. this (microb+webkit) is the best thing to happen to my n800 since dialcentral. and the speed at which he is updating and responding to posts is amazing.

pronvit
2009-01-05, 22:18

sometimes) it's not too late here. and I don't have to wake up early)
seriosly speaking, when I start some new project I usually spend really much time on it, just can't sleep when there's some left what I can easily fix. however unfortunately after some time I'll implement most of important features and will lose interest and finally will abandon project as many others (and PSP users already going angry because I stopped development of my 3D virtual globe for PSP because of webkit;) ). so you should hope I will do enough until that:)

prk60091
2009-01-05, 22:20

You also should remove engine-chooser and libicu38 packages since they aren't used anymore.

downloading it as i type

Frank Banul
2009-01-05, 22:27
Shortcuts are not a problem, will fix.

I'm not sure if it's obvious but cntl-w to close a window is another good one.

thanks,
Frank

Picklesworth
2009-01-05, 22:50
Just installed the newer, simpler package. Yay, the dependency issues seem to be resolved!

:O Where did all this free space come from? Here as well, I almost thought it hadn't worked and Mozilla had just improved itself. Took some effort to convince myself it was indeed Webkit in use. Pronvit, you deserve a cake.

One free Interweb if you can add kinetics to finger scrolling!

And a note to the uninitiated: Gconf keys can be configured really easily using gconf-editor. It is available in the Extras Devel repository. Handy little utility. Gconf is like the Windows registry done right ;)

Benson
2009-01-05, 23:13
One free Interweb if you can add kinetics to finger scrolling!
It's the War of the Webkits!

Tear has kinetic scrolling. :p And just got a 0.3 release. And I haven't fiddled enough with it yet :), but just as soon as I finish test-driving it, I'm definitely gonna try out webkit-eal, as it does sound rather sweet...

luca
2009-01-05, 23:23
Gconf is like the Windows registry done right

There, fixed for you ;)

pronvit
2009-01-05, 23:27
It's the War of the Webkits!

Tear has kinetic scrolling. :p And just got a 0.3 release. And I haven't fiddled enough with it yet :), but just as soon as I finish test-driving it, I'm definitely gonna try out webkit-eal, as it does sound rather sweet...

Heh, kinetic scrolling is just five lines of code. I simply don't want to implement it until I have scrolling itself fast and smooth enough on all websites. I think such feature either should work flawlessly or not be present at all. But it's likely to appear in next versions if people want it, with option to turn on/off.

pronvit
2009-01-05, 23:34
There, fixed for you ;)

One significant difference from windows registry it that in gconf there's schema (or at least should) that defines all available keys with default values, documentation and who owns it, so it's not a scrapyard anymore.

Hofer
2009-01-05, 23:59
Newbie here...

Can somebody please give me a quick tutorial on how to uninstall the old version. I'm such a newbie, the instructions given are too vague.

Thanks

arashed31
2009-01-06, 00:00
Wow thanks to everyone working on this. You all are amazing. I can't believe how much faster webkit is. Browsing the forums is almost as fast as my desktop. Each pages takes no more than 5 seconds to load. I'll say it again: this is amazing.

pronvit
2009-01-06, 00:11
Newbie here...

Can somebody please give me a quick tutorial on how to uninstall the old version. I'm such a newbie, the instructions given are too vague.

Thanks

do you really have my previous packages installed? do you have rootsh package installed?

Hofer
2009-01-06, 00:21
I installed the previous version where I had to download and install 5 or 6 different packages. I got it to work just fine, (thanks btw) but I want to install the new version. I just don't exactly know how to run the command lines you posted "as root" in xterminal.

Thanks

nemo
2009-01-06, 00:23
Hofer, see "rootsh" here. (http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access)

pronvit
2009-01-06, 00:26
in app manager install 'rootsh' package.
then open xterminal and run 'root'

then type and execute commang given in that post

pronvit
2009-01-06, 01:14
Who wanted kinetic scrolling - here it is, in 0.0.10. https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=862 Configurable via GConf. Vertical only.

maacruz
2009-01-06, 01:34
WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESN'T
entering some text in url field that doesn't look like url will open google search
file downloading doesn't work
cookies work
zoom works
finger scrolling works
find on page works
setting home page works
options like load images, accept cookies, enable javascript, select encoding do nothing

I've found another thing that doesn't work: proxy settings are ignored (tested with privoxy)

pronvit
2009-01-06, 01:35
you're right.. unfortunately..

maacruz
2009-01-06, 01:39
By the way... can fonts be changed? They are almost unreadable to my poor old eyes.

pronvit
2009-01-06, 01:40
Hmm.. zooming in doesn't help??

maacruz
2009-01-06, 01:57
I'm trying now and zoom doesn't seem to work.
Correction: doesn't work here, internettablettalk; other pages work fine.
Anyway, zooming is much worse than minimum font size setting because on zoomed pages you have to scroll horizontally a lot.
Correction: it seems that in webkit engine zooming=increase font size

Frank Banul
2009-01-06, 03:44
Who wanted kinetic scrolling - here it is, in 0.0.10. https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=862 Configurable via GConf. Vertical only.

Upgrading from 0.0.9 to 0.0.10, I don't see an option in GConf for kinetic scrolling. Where should it appear? Or is there something I have to do between versions?

thanks,
Frank

pronvit
2009-01-06, 03:55
Upgrading from 0.0.9 to 0.0.10, I don't see an option in GConf for kinetic scrolling. Where should it appear? Or is there something I have to do between versions?

thanks,
Frank

in gconf at path /apps/osso/browser/webkit.

but it's on by default, just try scrolling any page, notice any changes?

Frank Banul
2009-01-06, 04:27
in gconf at path /apps/osso/browser/webkit.

but it's on by default, just try scrolling any page, notice any changes?

OK, I see it. Seems like a video limitation puts a damper on the effects.

Frank

buhao
2009-01-06, 04:36
Just got the nrew build and loving it! Is there a way to get plugins and downloading working? If so then i believe you have a hands down winner. I also noticed that tap and hold would not bring up a context menu.

pronvit
2009-01-06, 04:54
OK, I see it. Seems like a video limitation puts a damper on the effects.

Frank

for me it works quite well.

my N78 doesn't want to focus while recoding video at all so I'm sorry for quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A55C70zC5cw

buhao, what plugins are you talking about? downloading is still needs to be implemented, working on this.

Bundyo
2009-01-06, 07:00
it seems that in webkit engine zooming=increase font size

There are two zoom modes, text only is the default, the other zooms everything.

meizirkki
2009-01-06, 07:53
In a war there is usyally only one winner...
In my case you are both winners, I really like tear and i am using it as my primary browser. But Bundyos webkit has kind of a bug that shows some of page elements transparent. So i am using pronvit:s webkit and bundyos browser. :)

I still have to use microb for some pages, that have never worked with any WebKit engine i have tried.

Really awesome work, both of you !

nikolajhendel
2009-01-06, 08:14
Just installed for the first time (with the new easy installer).
This update is a gem - thanks pronvit.

tso
2009-01-06, 08:15
So i am using pronvit:s webkit and bundyos browser. :)

im not entirely sure how thats even possible...

meizirkki
2009-01-06, 09:59
im not entirely sure how thats even possible...

I am.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=254642&postcount=146

namtastic
2009-01-06, 12:56
Lordy, it's like someone just took the iron ball off my legs here... Wow. This is some serious speed. Thank you for making this normal install (hate red pill)!

tso
2009-01-06, 13:01
I am.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=254642&postcount=146

ah, symlink magic...

Frank Banul
2009-01-06, 13:15
for me it works quite well.

It's only on some web pages (this forum for example styleid=10) that scrolling is odd. On other pages it's very nice. So sorry for the false alarm.

Frank

buhao
2009-01-06, 14:16
buhao, what plugins are you talking about? downloading is still needs to be implemented, working on this.

Actually only adblock-plus as of right now. I just installed greasemonkey to see if i could get that to work, but since i have no experience with it, i don't know if it is working or not. i believe that greasemonkey can do what adblock does, but adblock-plus is so easy to get up and running that i have never tinkered with greasemonkey.

maacruz
2009-01-06, 14:46
Actually only adblock-plus as of right now. I just installed greasemonkey ...
Those are firefox extensions. They can be ported to microb because microb is firefox3 based, but no way they can work with webkit.
By the way, my wishlist would be:
- Download
- Proxy settings (so privoxy can clean some of the ad infestation)
- Minimum font size setting (good for aging eyes)
And, of course, some kind of control (whitelists with wildcards) for js and flash would be great.

buhao
2009-01-06, 14:50
i thought greasemonkey was available for ie and google chrome as well.

maacruz
2009-01-06, 15:04
i thought greasemonkey was available for ie and google chrome as well.
No, although there are now a number of similar extensions for other browsers. The wikipedia page has a good summary.

fatdat888
2009-01-06, 18:05
Wow. I just had to thank you for porting webkit. I'm amazed how much faster the browsing experience is.

Nikem
2009-01-06, 19:10
Actually only adblock-plus as of right now. ...
I just use a host file, works great for whatever browser I'm using: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=124703&postcount=10

buhao
2009-01-06, 19:43
I just use a host file, works great for whatever browser I'm using: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=124703&postcount=10

did this and it works ok although it seems to slow down rendering quite a bit and leaves a big white space where the ads were.

tso
2009-01-06, 23:01
i wonder if the component system could be abused as a tweak system for webkit...

iskarion
2009-01-07, 11:20
When selecting the webkit engine, the browser locale seems always to be english.

With the microb default engine many websites automatically show me a german user interface. I guess in this case the browser selects the locale based on the system settings.

With the webkit engine such websites show the english user interface. Any way to change the browser locale for Webkit. e.g. via gconf?

mkulke
2009-01-07, 13:17
holy moley, i am impressed. this is way faster than the default browser engine, kinetic scrollings rocks aswell! the official maemo developers should definitely look into this.

pronvit
2009-01-07, 20:16
ok, I'll make it honor system locale. and will think about how to implement simple adblocking, don't like ads much too.
have to do some other things now so have less time to spend for this project

Picklesworth
2009-01-07, 20:30
Oh, I forgot to toss my thanks for the kinetic scrolling. Particularly in the simpler web pages, it feels swell!

tso
2009-01-07, 20:33
i would say that noscript has a interesting way of "blocking" ads. basically, do not allow external scripts to run.

that, in combo with the ability to turn of flash should kill most ads...

pronvit
2009-01-07, 22:30
i would say that noscript has a interesting way of "blocking" ads. basically, do not allow external scripts to run.

that, in combo with the ability to turn of flash should kill most ads...

I likely will just match everything webkit tries to load against patterns stored in gconf - easy to implement and flexible.

gladiac
2009-01-08, 19:20
Updated to latest version. This works really smooth. Just downloading some files doesn't work. I often download waypoint files from http://www.geocaching.com/ so the download link is a button.

tso
2009-01-08, 21:19
is there a collection of gconf settings that will bring back the scrolling areas and the instant selection?

pronvit
2009-01-08, 21:33
is there a collection of gconf settings that will bring back the scrolling areas and the instant selection?

you can open gconf editor and select show key documentation in view options. then go /apps/osso/browser/webkit and you'll see avaiable values for keys.

for example fingerscrolling=1 for scrolling areas

tso
2009-01-08, 21:40
i keep forgetting that "gconf" is registry "done right" ;)

semiquaver
2009-01-08, 23:35
First, this is incredible and I'd like to profusely thank pronvit for the great work. Browsing on the tablet at this speed is amazing; switching back to gecko makes me want to bang my head against the wall it's so slow. I'm definitely using this as my primary browser.

That said, in gconf the available settings appear to bekscrollfading
scrollbars
fingerscrolling
kscrollstep
selectionmodeIs this the full list of available options? Specifically is there a key to change zoom mode to true zoom instead of font size?

Also, before I started monkeying with gconf, using kinetic scrolling was beautiful and perfect, but now it seems to not cache offscreen areas of the page (i.e. until scroll stops moving, all that appears in the newly exposed region is a finely tiled image of whatever used to be on the bottom of the screen). This behavior continues even after resetting all gconf keys. Any idea why this happens or how to fix it?

Thanks again pronvit for all your hard work -- this is by far one of the best enhancements I've come across for the NITs

EDIT: Hmm, this didn't work the first time, but a reboot after --recursive-unset appears to have fixed the problem, and now I am able to set scrollbars=0 and kscrollfading to 0.95, which are IMO ideal. This is awesome.

pronvit
2009-01-09, 00:01
Is this the full list of available options? Specifically is there a key to change zoom mode to true zoom instead of font size?

currently there's no option to change zoom mode. I just didn't think it may be useful. I will add it if it is useful for you.

iamthewalrus
2009-01-09, 09:43
I installed webkit-eal from the garage page a few days ago on my n800 running diablo, and although I can open local pages it crashes every time I try to access a webpage. What kind of debug info can I give to help?

purg
2009-01-09, 10:23
crazy question but how can I tell if the default browser is using webkit?

Ive followed the only obvious install instructions on post 133 (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=254590&postcount=133) but cant see anything alter.

lbalogh
2009-01-09, 10:35
Just go to http://acid3.acidtests.org : if the score is around 94, your are using webkit !

tso
2009-01-09, 11:00
also, when a page loads, the loading bare will show percentage, not number of elements downloaded.

oh, and if webkit crashes for some reason, browserd will reload the page in microb, and continue to use that until all browser windows are closed.

another way to see if your using webkit is the frame around tapped links. in webkit it will barely be visible, but in microb its a solid frame.

and i think by default the start page on a empty browser window is different in webkit also.

now, i would love for the selector app to use radio buttons and a ok button rather then the drop down list it uses right now. that or have the drop down list show the currently used engine when started.

iskarion
2009-01-09, 11:34
I installed webkit-eal from the garage page a few days ago on my n800 running diablo, and although I can open local pages it crashes every time I try to access a webpage. What kind of debug info can I give to help?
Did you already restart your tablet after webkit-eal installation? I had the same propblem after the first install until I did do a restart.

bow
2009-01-09, 12:17
Whoa... this is impressive! Installed the deb, rebooted, and I'm flying where I used to crawl!

tso
2009-01-09, 12:46
luck indicated that the tearing issues could be that webkit is redrawing the page faster then the lcd can fully update.

maybe something to look at for a more smooth experience?

buhao
2009-01-09, 13:23
Having used this awesome webkit package for a while now I thought I would post what I have noticed. I am not posting all the amazing good things because they have already been pointed out.

First I would recommend radio buttons, or icons for the engine chooser as tso mentioned above. Second, I noticed that it does not respond to hardware buttons initially. I usually just minimise and then restore and then it will. Third, there are still issues with the thumb keyboard. When typing this post, a return closed the keyboard instead of sending me to the next line. There was one other thing that has slipped my mind. If i think of it i will post it here. Overall i am very impressed. If downloading worked i think it would eliminate my need to ever change the engine back to microb. Hope this is helpful and keep up the good work!

Khertan
2009-01-09, 13:36
Just a question does local database storage is enable in this version of WebKit (a part of HTML5 specs) ?

iamthewalrus
2009-01-09, 13:41
Did you already restart your tablet after webkit-eal installation? I had the same problem after the first install until I did do a restart.

That did the trick. Pronvit: If this step is inevitable maybe it is an idea to show a popup after installing Webkit telling to reboot?

Even though I like the speed increase of Webkit I will keep using Gecko/Microb for a while because I've grown dependent on these things:

- minimum font size
- dpad key scrolling (smooth scrolling whole pages)
- custom stylesheets
- set location bar to a custom search engine string
- make cookies session only for privacy

I made the Speeddial script. There are some Mozilla specific bits in there (the xml dom functions) that can be changed to work with Webkit. So if there is demand for it I'll give it a try.

tso
2009-01-09, 13:56
on the button respone, its as simple as tapping inside the actual web page. its an annoyance the first time round tho, i agree.

buhao
2009-01-09, 14:10
Even though I like the speed increase of Webkit I will keep using Gecko/Microb for a while because I've grown dependent on these things:

Sounds like you need an intervention. ;)

Khertan
2009-01-09, 14:59
Hum ... i ll try to install and try to not reboot :)

I think a simple sudo /etc/init.d/osso-browser restart should do the trick :)

pronvit
2009-01-09, 15:56
Just a question does local database storage is enable in this version of WebKit (a part of HTML5 specs) ?

no. I disabled all html5 features and svg. I'm not sure this is right. and also I don't know how much this affects speed/memory usage, but they are useless _for me_ and I disabled them hoping this will make it faster/smaller. if somebody needs them I'll recompile with these features enabled for you.

for everybody: sorry I'm not answering everybody personally but I read and take into account all your ideas and bugreports for next versions.

yukky
2009-01-09, 15:59
Just want to post a thank you to pronvit for the hard work and the easy to install deb. This exactly gives the NIT web browser a good kick in the butt.

I can confirm this, long feeds from Feedcircuit (over 100 entries containing pictures and links) load much much faster than before. In fact, it was almost painful to use for that specific feed.

The kinetic scrolling is great, since I do a lot of one-handed browsing of these long Feedcircuit pages. My thumb would get tired very quickly. Would there be any way to adjust the scroll acceleration? I'd like it to keep scrolling just a tiny bit further with a quick flick :)

Thanks again!

yukky
2009-01-09, 16:03
One more thing, webkit seems to accept inputting Japanese characters into textboxes with maemocjk. The latest SSU seemed to break that functionality for me with MicroB. (ie: type Japanese into the Google search text input box)

pronvit
2009-01-09, 16:07
The kinetic scrolling is great, since I do a lot of one-handed browsing of these long Feedcircuit pages. My thumb would get tired very quickly. Would there be any way to adjust the scroll acceleration? I'd like it to keep scrolling just a tiny bit further with a quick flick :)

please read this post http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=255538&postcount=209

for example try to change kscrollstep from 20 to something less or better change kscrollfading from 0.9 to 0.95, try different values (you have to reopen browser window after changing values)

pronvit
2009-01-09, 16:10
One more thing, webkit seems to accept inputting Japanese characters into textboxes with maemocjk. The latest SSU seemed to break that functionality for me with MicroB. (ie: type Japanese into the Google search text input box)

By the way, because I removed ICU library dependency, there may be some problems with complex encodings (like Japanese, especially right-to-left languages), if you notice something please send me message with address of page with problems

yukky
2009-01-09, 16:26
please read this post http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=255538&postcount=209

for example try to change kscrollstep from 20 to something less or better change kscrollfading from 0.9 to 0.95, try different values (you have to reopen browser window after changing values)http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/gconf-editor/ seems to be dead.

Is there a way to manually edit it?

pronvit
2009-01-09, 16:35
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/gconf-editor/ seems to be dead.

Is there a way to manually edit it?

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/pool/diablo/free/g/gconf-editor/gconf-editor_2.18.0-0.maemo1_armel.deb

sorry I turned on all maemo repos and didn't notice that gconf-editor is in non-default extras-devel

yukky
2009-01-09, 17:00
Thank you,

# gconftool-2 -t float --set /apps/osso/browser/webkit/kscrollfading 0.91
turned out right for me.

After playing with the settings a bit, the screen started to tear on kinetic scrolling, even when I reset the values back to their original number.
# gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/osso/browser/webkit
fixed the scrolling.

yukky
2009-01-09, 17:05
I'd be very glad if the following keyboard shortcuts implemented:
CTRL-W close window
CTRL-R reload
BACKSPACE back in history
PAGE_UP entire page up
PAGE_DOWN entire page down

I know there are more, but these are the ones I use the most. Thank you again, I just tried his today for the first time, and it is excellent!

tso
2009-01-09, 17:17
never understood the use of backspace for going back in history.

one accidentally unfocused input box is all it takes...

jmjanzen
2009-01-09, 17:29
alt-left makes the most sense to me for going back in history, and alt-right for going forward, of course.

slightly off-topic: i had a keyboard (IBM, i think) with "back" and "forward" buttons just above the left and right cursor keys. they just sent alt-left and alt-right signals--no special drivers necessary. it was convenient for 3d shooters before mouse-look became ubiquitous, because i could use those keys for side-stepping.

pronvit
2009-01-09, 17:34
unfortunately I can't determine if input box is currently focused (need to find out how to do this and modify webkit for this) so no backspace for now. other shortcuts will work in next ver.

Khertan
2009-01-09, 17:59
So no need to reboot, just restarting browserd daemon and close all web page open.

It s seems you use an old version of webkit as it doesn't support opendatabase html5 api.

and other question ... how to set the user agent ? it doesn t support about:config ... and see no conf file in common place ... nor with gconf.

Thanks

pronvit
2009-01-09, 18:08
So no need to reboot, just restarting browserd daemon and close all web page open.

It s seems you use an old version of webkit as it doesn't support opendatabase html5 api.

and other question ... how to set the user agent ? it doesn t support about:config ... and see no conf file in common place ... nor with gconf.

Thanks

hmm.. browserd is restarted during installation, strange that you have to do this manually

I already wrote about disabled html5 above. hm.. I can add config parameter for user-agent if you need it (situation is simple - no settings for things I never use)

Thesandlord
2009-01-09, 18:28
I installed under Blue Pill mode, and had to restart the tablet. Maybe if you install with Red Pill this will automatically work...

qwerty12
2009-01-09, 18:29
It would not make a difference in either pill mode.

P.S Red pill mode isn't recommended, and there's no point in mentioning it here as webkit-eal installs fine in Blue pill mode...

pronvit
2009-01-09, 19:05
P.S Red pill mode isn't recommended, and there's no point in mentioning it here as webkit-eal installs fine in Blue pill mode...

now yes. but previous packages had to be installed in redpill mode so people still use it.

now redpillmode NOT required. (however I don't know why people are so afraid of it, as for me its normal to have full control over installed packages, on desktop linuxes there's no such modes of course)

luca
2009-01-09, 19:41
No "open link in new window" option (via tap and hold)?

tso
2009-01-09, 20:02
(however I don't know why people are so afraid of it, as for me its normal to have full control over installed packages, on desktop linuxes there's no such modes of course)

there are some packages that show up in the updates section in red pill that may break maemo...

Khertan
2009-01-09, 20:23
Ah ... it doesn't restart due to things running using it (and some home sadly made scripts).

For the user-agent, yep this is the more important things for me, as when i use my phone isp data access, their proxy block any unknow user agent (mean that is not a phone).

And for sqlite opendatabase api of html 5, i ve read it sorry ... i'll read previous post more carrefully

allnameswereout
2009-01-09, 20:26
It works! I don't like the engine chooser. I click on it with my thumb and it selects MicroB while I just want to open the roll down to select webkit. Some kind of confirm button, or simply 2 buttons where one pushes either (and bigger, finger friendly) would be welcome. It also is not WebKit chooser because you can also pick Gecko as option. So the choices are for MicroB browser the Gecko rendering engine, or the WebKit rendering engine.

pronvit
2009-01-09, 20:27
Ah ... it doesn't restart due to things running using it (and some home sadly made scripts).

I'll re-check, currently I don't understand why it doesn't restart

For the user-agent, yep this is the more important things for me, as when i use my phone isp data access, their proxy block any unknow user agent (mean that is not a phone).
ok

And for sqlite opendatabase api of html 5, i ve read it sorry ... i'll read previous post more carrefully

but tell me where such features are used?

pronvit
2009-01-09, 20:29
It works! I don't like the engine chooser. I click on it with my thumb and it selects MicroB while I just want to open the roll down to select webkit. Some kind of confirm button, or simply 2 buttons where one pushes either (and bigger, finger friendly) would be welcome. It also is not WebKit chooser because you can also pick Gecko as option. So the choices are for MicroB browser the Gecko rendering engine, or the WebKit rendering engine.

of course it will be improved, it's obvious. I just needed to provide at least some tool for the first time

luca
2009-01-09, 20:31
A couple of things: it.caches and tries to autocomplete what you type in password fields (ouch!) and checkboxes are huge.

pronvit
2009-01-09, 20:35
A couple of things: it.caches and tries to autocomplete what you type in password fields (ouch!) and checkboxes are huge.

ou.. not good at all.. need to fix