PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Compatibility

NoTx
2006-07-26, 06:12
Hey all,

I am considering grabbing a Nokia 770, however I am trying to find out if it is capable of a few things I had in mind. First off I would like to be able to review photos I have taken and as such was wondering about using a Compact Flash > USB card reader on the 770. Has anyone used this combination?

Also, I seem to be seeing some comments about using a Bluetooth Keyboard and some about it not working. Does it currently work or have a simple fix to enable it?

Lastly, as power seems to be the big issue with portable hard drives, does using a powered USB hub get around this issue?

Oh, and one last. If I have a Bluetooth keyboard (if possible) can I be using Blue TOoth DUN at the same time?

Thanks all for your help!

Robert

spycedtx
2006-07-26, 06:21
Hey all,

I am considering grabbing a Nokia 770, however I am trying to find out if it is capable of a few things I had in mind. First off I would like to be able to review photos I have taken and as such was wondering about using a Compact Flash > USB card reader on the 770. Has anyone used this combination?

In theory, this is possible. You can put the 770 into USB host mode, rather than the default client mode. see more comments later

Also, I seem to be seeing some comments about using a Bluetooth Keyboard and some about it not working. Does it currently work or have a simple fix to enable it?

Someone rebuilt it (you'll have to dig through the threads to find the link). No problems here, using a Universal Stowaway. Had a few issues at first with some odd keymappings, but those vanished on their own. There are a few applications where the BT keyboard won't provide input, and some that won't unless you enter the text field, flip to xterm, type something, and then flip back; rinse, repeat.

Lastly, as power seems to be the big issue with portable hard drives, does using a powered USB hub get around this issue?

You'll need an externally powered USB injector/port/hub/something. You can buy them premade (saw one at Frys), or you can build your own (in an altoid box!).. look for Thoughtfix's wonderful info on this. The 770 on its own won't provide the necessary 5v output to trigger the connection. I made Thoughtfix's injector, and have watched recorded shows off memory sticks.

Oh, and one last. If I have a Bluetooth keyboard (if possible) can I be using Blue TOoth DUN at the same time?

In theory, you should.. haven't tried it.

Lance Fortune
2006-07-27, 00:27
I use the Think Outside Stowaway BT keyboard and BT DUN at the same time. No problem.

BTW. I find I don't use the BT keyboard very often now I have upgraded to OS2006 and I am getting the hang of the finger keyboard.

NoTx
2006-07-27, 18:41
One more.. has anyone tried a normal thumb drive with a mini USB adapter? I wouldn't think that would need much power...