PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on an Evernote Client: Web clipper + xournal + online storage

frethop
2009-02-24, 13:56
I use Evernote (http://www.evernote.com) to remember random thoughts and to take notes on things. It's a Web clipper and a note taker with PDF viewing and online storage.

It's got an open API for reading and contributing to it's database of notes.

This is the kind on app that I think is begging to be placed on a tablet. I'd like to write one. But I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Evernote is like a couple of existing apps -- the Web clip applet, Xournal, a PDF viewer, for instance -- rolled into one. So how should an Evernote client be written?

Got any thoughts?

Karel Jansens
2009-02-24, 14:26
While Evernote is nice (it so reminds me of Notes on my Newton), I find that the only thing it really begs for is good handwriting recognition.

I use the free version of Evernote on my Windoze tablet, together with PenOffice (AFAIAC the only viable HWR app in existence) and that works nicely. Of course, even then one is ever so often reminded that Windows was never designed for stylus use; I then shed a single tear for the demise of NewtonOS.

On the tablet, where I'm limited to handwritten scribbles, I find that Mnotes or Maemopad+ are more useful. Still, for various values of "useful", that is.

frethop
2009-02-24, 14:45
I have often wondered what things would be like if the NewtonOS came out closer to now ... when it would have been more accepted.

As for the Evernote client: I'm also wanting a client for reviewing notes in my Evernote collection. I think the tablet platform would be ideal for that.

Karel Jansens
2009-02-24, 15:45
I have often wondered what things would be like if the NewtonOS came out closer to now ... when it would have been more accepted.

Well, from the moment Jobs came back, it was doomed, but it's not as if it needed much added to become a universal tabletOS: A decent TCPIP stack, built-in bluetooth and WiFi (it's just the one chip these days) and support for "normal" filesystems would have been enough. Colour is already built in.

But for me, its biggest strength (and therefore its biggest weakness) was its filesystem, which didn't have files and wasn't a system. It is still the only device where I always had the feeling that all my data was linked (which they were, of course). Really the only way to explain the transparency and ease of use to a non-newtoneer is to shove a Green Brick in their hands and force them to use it for five minutes.

How deep Apple has fallen...

As for the Evernote client: I'm also wanting a client for reviewing notes in my Evernote collection. I think the tablet platform would be ideal for that.I dunno. I don't think I want a device for reviewing stuff only. The iRex did that
, and the Palm (to an extent), and most phones these days. I want something like the Newton or my Psions: A computer that does everything I do on a desktop, but fits in my pocket unobtrusively enough that picking it up and taking it with me becomes a reflexive action. Granted, Newtons didn't fit in any but the grotesquely large pockets, but you get the idea.

I guess you now can see why I'm so psyched about the Pandora, even with the delays.

____

And even they ended up bringing out a model with data entry capabilities.

BrentDC
2009-02-24, 16:19
<shameless plug>

Have you seen Quick Clip (http://brents-tech.blogspot.com/2009/02/quick-clip-02-released.html)? Granted, I have no idea what Evernote is, so...

</shameless plug>

frethop
2009-02-24, 18:39
No <shameless plug> required! I think Quick clip is cool. Hence the need for my question: Evernote is Quick clip + xournal + Internet storage. How do you put those together without a brand new app?

Nyrath
2009-02-24, 20:23
You can sort of look over your Evernote notebooks on your Nokia by opening the web browser and pointing it at
http://www.evernote.com/mobile/Home.action
(the site meant for cell phone browsers)

fpp
2009-02-24, 21:02
When Gary (lcuk) finally comes through with his refactored liqbase framework, it should be a serious contender for this sort of stuff :-)

lcuk
2009-02-24, 21:09
When Gary (lcuk) finally comes through with his refactored liqbase framework, it should be a serious contender for this sort of stuff :-)

indeed we will.
even if what I manage isn't good enough others can build on what I started knowing they will have simple fast graphics to show off the best of what they have to offer :)

GeraldKo
2009-02-24, 21:39
Oh, if we're going to indulge in shameless plugs and shameless pleas, for those who would be satisfied with solely text (not photos, or drawings, etc.), Quick Clip integrated with a maemo-ized QuickDex (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26605) and online storage or some way to synch with an online notes database (like the probably-to-be-defunct Google Notes) would do the trick wonderfully well. Quick Clip and QuickDex -- they already sound like they belong together. Now it just needs QuickSync, too!

BrentDC
2009-02-24, 21:58
Oh, if we're going to indulge in shameless plugs and shameless pleas, for those who would be satisfied with solely text (not photos, or drawings, etc.), Quick Clip integrated with a maemo-ized QuickDex (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26605) and online storage or some way to synch with an online notes database (like the probably-to-be-defunct Google Notes) would do the trick wonderfully well. Quick Clip and QuickDex -- they already sound like they belong together. Now it just needs QuickSync, too!

Actually, just the other day I was pondering if I should add html output file support to Quick Clip: that would probably be more cloud friendly, eh? Browse through your Quick Clip files on a remote PC with the web browser...hm...

(and it would once-and-for-all kill the microb-doesn't-word-wrap problem. Yay!).

InfinityDevil
2009-02-24, 22:03
Some quickie design ideas:

Evernote-push engine watches a folder and an index file.
Apps drop compatible file, writes tags into the index file, tags row for push.
App taps Evernote-push on the shoulder to move the file, if connected.

Applet would run all of these, offering a screenshot capturer (very cool way to push web snaps and the tech already exists!), a clipboard capturer, and I guess that's it. Applet would let you tell Evernote to wake up, stop sync, and maybe later have more advanced options. Option to push something from the filesystem, something from the onboard camera, with a couple of preset extension filters that user can override (e.g. a set for free accounts, premium accounts, or opt to try and push everything and see what happens).

My 0.02.

MP2100
2009-02-24, 22:15
<shameless plug>

Have you seen Quick Clip (http://brents-tech.blogspot.com/2009/02/quick-clip-02-released.html)? Granted, I have no idea what Evernote is, so...

</shameless plug>

When I first came across Quck Clip, this is what I wished for, Quick-Clip interface to Evernote (or Uberclip). Is there a possibility, since Evernote has an API??

BrentDC
2009-02-25, 00:52
When I first came across Quck Clip, this is what I wished for, Quick-Clip interface to Evernote (or Uberclip). Is there a possibility, since Evernote has an API??

It is not likely. I'm not much of a programmer; Quick Clip is actually my first non-terminal "learning" program, and I created it mainly for one purpose: to do what it does now. Because I really wanted a program to do what it does, and none existed. So I created it.

Being so, if someone suggests a (relatively) easily implemented feature I'll strongly consider it. But adding Evernote support, I have a strong feeling, won't be so easy, so I don't really see myself implementing it anytime soon.

Sorry. :(

ARJWright
2009-03-04, 06:13
Just finding the thread after resurrecting my N800 for office duty...

...nice ideas here, but they seem to have gotten complex. So here's the simple question:

Can Xournal be adpated to work with Evernote's API (either via plugin or widget) so that a person would be able to utilize the sync/one file abilities of Evernote, but keep the flexibility of the IT?

A yes or no question.

Now, if the answer is yes, how can those apps that you all have mentioned be made more transparent, and more integrated into the UI of Xournal so that Evernote integration is more of an issue of "download this plugin and enable this command in Xournal" than the multiple steps and applicaitons that have been explained thus far?

By the way, if someone is developing this, and would like a tester or UI integration assistance, I'm available (see WordPy for prevous work).

ctennenh
2009-03-12, 22:32
I could probably be satisfied with an option in the Camera app to email to a preset address. Your evernote account has a dedicated email address to which you can email things that get tossed into your default notebook. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd be suprised if it doesn't work.

n8k99
2009-06-19, 07:32
Just finding the thread after resurrecting my N800 for office duty...

...nice ideas here, but they seem to have gotten complex. So here's the simple question:

Can Xournal be adpated to work with Evernote's API (either via plugin or widget) so that a person would be able to utilize the sync/one file abilities of Evernote, but keep the flexibility of the IT?

A yes or no question.

Now, if the answer is yes, how can those apps that you all have mentioned be made more transparent, and more integrated into the UI of Xournal so that Evernote integration is more of an issue of "download this plugin and enable this command in Xournal" than the multiple steps and applicaitons that have been explained thus far?

By the way, if someone is developing this, and would like a tester or UI integration assistance, I'm available (see WordPy for prevous work).

if Xournal can be modified to save as jpg or png and/or email that document then that is a method of getting the handwritten note into evernote.

and actually thinking about it, since evernote can display pdfs the jpg png options are not completely necessary eitehr, just being able to email the document from xournal would do the trick.

timsamoff
2009-06-19, 13:20
Some of you may remember the lightning talk that brontide gave at the last Summit about real-time syncing the Notes app with Google Docs. It was pretty sweet. I don't know what ever happen to further development, though (or brontide for that matter!).

Tim

nilchak
2009-06-19, 13:33
Some of you may remember the lightning talk that brontide gave at the last Summit about real-time syncing the Notes app with Google Docs. It was pretty sweet. I don't know what ever happen to further development, though (or brontide for that matter!).

Tim

Sweet.. but sometime good ideas dont fructify.

Another thing I would like to see is a note taking app whcih syncs with Google Notebook (not Google DOCS). So short notes can be taken and it would sync with Google Notebook (http://www.google.com/notebook). I use the notebook feature of google to jot down notes in a hurry from the mobile version thru the browser currently.

frethop
2009-06-19, 15:25
Sweet.. but sometime good ideas dont fructify.

Another thing I would like to see is a note taking app whcih syncs with Google Notebook (not Google DOCS). So short notes can be taken and it would sync with Google Notebook (http://www.google.com/notebook). I use the notebook feature of google to jot down notes in a hurry from the mobile version thru the browser currently.

Unfortunately, Google notebook has been end-of-life'd. Yes, it exists, but it's end is near.

Evernote has an API in multiple languages. I'm working on porting an app in Python to take notes on the NIT platform and interface on the back end with Evernote. I was inspired by brontide's examples with Google Docs. There were some great ideas there.

conny
2009-06-19, 16:18
Unfortunately, Google notebook has been end-of-life'd. Yes, it exists, but it's end is near.

Evernote has an API in multiple languages. I'm working on porting an app in Python to take notes on the NIT platform and interface on the back end with Evernote. I was inspired by brontide's examples with Google Docs. There were some great ideas there.

Not sure if Conboy suits your needs, but ATM there is work going on to implement support for storage backend plugins. It's not completed yet, but I expect it within the month.
Basically it would mean you only have to implement a couple of methods like save_note(), load_note(), etc..
I never used Evernote nor do I know their API. So maybe I'm just talking ******** here :) But maybe it would be possible for you to code such a plug-in instead of porting a complete app?!

Kieron
2010-05-28, 13:59
Any news on this? I was about to post the following new thread, by this came up in silimar suggestions.

Can someone please create an Evernote Client? Only basic text editing is necesary, with options for tags or

They have an open API and I doubt it would be difficult for a programmer. I myself tried to have a look into the API to create something, but have no idea what I am doing! :(

Hopefully someone can come to the rescue, I'm sure there are a lot of people that would find this a great tool! (if so, post here too please!)

Kieron

Is there yet a solution? At the moment I'm stuck using email, which sucks, you can't even drag the cursor!

codeMonkey
2010-05-28, 14:26
I'm stuck using email, which sucks, you can't even drag the cursor!

I may be mis-understanding. Do you mean like in the web browser?

anidel
2010-05-28, 18:32
Am I missing something?

Download the Evernote Sharing Plugin, from Xournal tap Share, select Evernote and you annotated PDF is in Evernote...