PDA

View Full Version : Forum reorg pointing to talk.maemo.org

qgil
2009-03-10, 20:18
Some thoughts about the integration of ITt with maemo.org as a frequent user of both sites:

- Software precedes hardware.
- It's good to differentiate between platform, official apps and 3rd party apps.
- The best threads should become news @ http://maemo.org/news

Following these principles, here is a proposal to reorganize the forums (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/):

Talk
- General
- maemo.org (community related, Council, website including Talk)
- Off-topic

Applications
- Pre-installed / official
- Community / 3rd party (maybe worth splitting one day between community and commercial?)
--- Sub-forums: Canola, Gaming

OS / Platform
- Maemo 5 / Fremantle
- OS2008 / Maemo 4 / Chinook - Diablo
- OS2006 / Maemo 2 / Mistral - Scirocco - Gregale
- Developers (moving to own section if the topics grow and specialized areas are needed)
- Alternatives (merging Sub-Forums: Android, Debian, KDE, Palm OS)

Devices
- Nokia N810 & WiMAX Edition
- Nokia N800
- Nokia 770
- Accessories
- Competitors
- Buy & Sell (merging Deals & Promos)

Old (these ones don't accept new posts, threads with new comments might be moved to the right forums)
- News
- Announcements
- Troubleshooting
- Upgrading
- Tablet 101
- OS2007 / Maemo 3 / Bora
- OS2005 / Maemo 1

GeneralAntilles
2009-03-10, 20:25
Devices
- Nokia N810
- Nokia N800
- Nokia 770

Are we missing one (or two ;))?

qgil
2009-03-10, 20:31
Are we missing one (or two ;))?

General is probably a good place for devices before they get at least a proof and a name.

sachin007
2009-03-10, 21:04
Good to see 'Competitors' still in there

allnameswereout
2009-03-10, 21:07
Why is

- OS2005 / Maemo 1

listed under 'old' and

not old?

- Buy & Sell (merging Deals & Promos)There is a difference between these 2. Buy & Sell is a platform like Craigslist where the topic starter has direct interest in on a non-commercial basis. Deals & Promos are cheap or compatible suggestions without direct commercial interest of the poster. There is also the Accessoires forum though.

benny1967
2009-03-10, 21:16
Why is

- OS2005 / Maemo 1

listed under 'old' and

not old?

Probably because if you own a 770, OS2006 is the version you're running and not old for you.
OS2005 shouldn't be on any 770 anymore, and OS2007 should not be on N800s. That's why they're old.

allnameswereout
2009-03-10, 21:27
Ah. Maybe refer to them as supported and unsupported then.

GeneralAntilles
2009-03-10, 21:53
Ah. Maybe refer to them as supported and unsupported then.

Also inaccurate.

qole
2009-03-10, 23:07
I would love to see a Mer forum (under OS/Platform) or subforum (under Alternatives), and I know I'll be shot down for this, but I'd like to see an Ubuntu subforum under Alternatives too.

I'm looking forward to the move. It is overdue!

pelago
2009-03-10, 23:09
Is the 'Upgrading' forum worth keeping? It seems ill-defined.

And is Palm OS really deserving of a full forum in 'alternatives'? Garnet VM itself could just be discussed in 3rd party Apps, and Palm OS-specific stuff could be on a different site. (By the way, I love Palm OS, so please don't think I'm dissing it!)

andrewfblack
2009-03-11, 01:00
I would like a Mer forum aswell

GeneralAntilles
2009-03-11, 01:13
- Alternatives
--- Sub-Forums: Android, Debian, KDE, Palm OS

I'd like to see fewer forums, not more. KDE and Palm OS should definitely go (KDE most certainly isn't an OS and Palm really isn't in the context of Maemo). Android, Debian and Ubuntu are also mostly pointless (Deblet is unmaintained, Ubuntu doesn't have much Maemo-specific and I don't think any of them really get enough traffic to justify another subforum). You could Make a case for Mer, though that'd probably be better off another level up.

qole
2009-03-11, 01:30
I had an idea just now.

How about:

Alternatives:

Distros: Debian, Ubuntu, Mer, etc
Operating Systems: Android, etc
Desktops: KDE, Gnome, LXDE, etc
Emulators: Garnet, DosBox, Hatari, etc.

BrentDC
2009-03-11, 02:18
I had an idea just now.

How about:

Alternatives:

I like the idea, but Distros and OS's is redundant; in the end, all we run on these things is Linux so everything is a Distribution (Android is just a mobile one).

qole
2009-03-11, 02:55
I guess my attitude is: if you have to change the kernel, it's an OS, otherwise it's a distro.

TA-t3
2009-03-11, 09:57
[..], and OS2007 should not be on N800s. That's why they're old.
Hey, I run OS2007 on my N800 and I _like_ it that way.. it is, to me, a better OS than the alternative (we'll see when Mer comes along, but there will never be an OS2008 on my N800).

As for the forum categories.. to me it's in practice of very little importance, because I, as I suspect many do, just click 'New Posts' when I visit the forum and then I go through threads solely based on the thread subject. The only time I look at the category at all is when the subject doesn't tell me enough - then I glance at the category tag and if it's off-topic I may decide to skip it.

qgil
2009-03-11, 10:02
About "Old" OS versions, note that nobody is saying they are old (which they are, for the reasons explained). It's their forums which are old and therefore are deprecated under the "Old" category. Any new post in those forums are either relevant to OS2008 / OS2006 (and therefore should be moved) or the answer to the post should just be "You better upgrade your OS".

I do see the difference between "Buy & Sell" and "Deals & Promos". However, how bug and useful is that different not to merge both in one since ultimately the whole thing is about buying and selling.

Moving "Upgrading" to Old would work for me.

About the current alternative OS/distros, I have only stated what is currently available. If you ask me, I would merge all the platform stuff you can run in Maemo compatible hardware under Alternatives since none of them have enough track nowadays for an own discussion forum.

Mer might be the exception, yes. How tied is Mer to Maemo 5? One option would be to have it as a subforum of "Maemo 5 / Fremantle". This would work at least during the Fremantle cycle, good enough to start with. Another option is to have it as a subforum under Alternatives, but specially if they keep being API compatible with Maemo I'd prefer to stress the similarities with Maemo instead of the "alternatives". Another option is to have it at the same level as Maemo 5 and Alternatives, but this might be confusing to many users not familiar with those projects: "is Mer an official Maemo platform or not?"

I will keep the first post updated according to the current conclusions.

qgil
2009-03-11, 10:05
Hey, I run OS2007 on my N800 and I _like_ it that way.. it is, to me, a better OS than the alternative (we'll see when Mer comes along, but there will never be an OS2008 on my N800).

Sure, but your are consciously in an old release and you won't go to ask support questions under OS2007. :)

As for the forum categories.. to me it's in practice of very little importance, because I, as I suspect many do, just click 'New Posts' when I visit the forum and then I go through threads solely based on the thread subject. The only time I look at the category at all is when the subject doesn't tell me enough - then I glance at the category tag and if it's off-topic I may decide to skip it.

Also true, but you are a frequent user and the organization of the forum is mostly relevant to newcomers and occasional visitors. If you make things wrong with them you have unsatisfied users and messy posts needing a relocation to the right place.

TA-t3
2009-03-11, 10:20
Sure, but your are consciously in an old release and you won't go to ask support questions under OS2007. :)

Sure, for Nokia software.. but it was always thus, wasn't it? Bug reports for the email app always went nowhere anyway. For 3party software it's a different story, just yesterday there was a nice update of maemo mapper for OS2007 and if I've got issues I'll be able to ask about it. But there's not a problem at all really, for 3party.

[categories]
Also true, but you are a frequent user and the organization of the forum is mostly relevant to newcomers and occasional visitors. If you make things wrong with them you have unsatisfied users and messy posts needing a relocation to the right place. Good point, and I can only agree.

GeneralAntilles
2009-03-11, 12:43
Alternatives:

We want fewer forums, not more. I'd say we only need 'Alternatives', then somewhere for Mer to go.

andrewfblack
2009-03-11, 13:19
We want fewer forums, not more. I'd say we only need 'Alternatives', then somewhere for Mer to go.

Well as Mer grows its going to need seporate forums for like Applications and stuff since it runs more stuff that wont run on OS2008, also Mer works with more front ends then just Hildon so maybe a Mer Section like this

Mer General
-Devices
-Applcations
-Frontends

might even want some subforums under devices.

GeneralAntilles
2009-03-11, 13:23
Well as Mer grows its going to need seporate forums for like Applications and stuff since it runs more stuff that wont run on OS2008, also Mer works with more front ends then just Hildon so maybe a Mer Section like this

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but for now, the amount of Mer traffic barely justifies a single forum.

qole
2009-03-11, 16:45
There will always be a bit of a tension between those of us who like to keep our socks in one drawer, underpants in another, and undershirts in a third drawer, and those of us who like to keep all of the above in one big drawer.

I think that if the "Alternatives" section is going to be collapsed to a single category, you should consider collapsing the N800, N810 and Wimax into a single N8x0 forum; it should be clear from the thread title what device is being discussed.

In fact, why not a single forum, called "Hardware"? I think if someone has a 770 question, they'll make that clear. Or if someone has a question about the ill-fated, short-lived WiMax edition, they'll put that in the thread title. If someone asks about the built-in keyboard or GPS, it will be fairly obvious that they're not talking about the N800.

sjgadsby
2009-03-11, 17:10
...you should consider collapsing the N800, N810 and Wimax into a single N8x0 forum...

I suspect you were qoling, but I like this idea.

qole
2009-03-11, 17:13
I suspect you were qoling, but I like this idea.

Actually no, I was serious. We need to decide across the board; do we have big drawers or not?

Pun intended.

allnameswereout
2009-03-11, 17:26
Why not both. You can watch all topics by going to the 'Alternatives' forum and see the specific forums by browsing into them if you prefer. Much like tagging.

luca
2009-03-11, 19:06
I'd like to see fewer forums, not more.
Me too. In fact I use just one category: "New Posts" ;)

qgil
2009-03-11, 21:21
If there is no agrement on the Alternatives sub-forums we can just keep the status quo. But let me try to convince you at least up to a reasonable level. :)

About merging devices, I think it's a good joke. Installing different alternatives is relatively easy, so a user might be potentially interested in many. Changing devices is more complicated if you don't have deep pockets.

Right now:

- Nokia N800 (27 Viewing)
3,036 threads (120 updated this year) & 27,623 posts

- Alternatives (13 Viewing) in total
368 threads (15 updated this year) & 8107 posts

Android 28 threads (10 updated this year) & 1.183 posts
Debian 70 (16) & 2976
KDE 135 (7) & 2015
Palm OS 110 (11) & 1295

And btw searching for "Mer" in titles gives 10 results. Not very scientific but should give an idea. So perhaps it's not worth to start with a Mer subforum either.

And promote subforums only when it's clear that a topic has enough traffic to deserve it. This is how forums use to grow organically.

Benson
2009-03-11, 23:22
Honestly, N800 and N810 might reasonably be merged, because a lot of questions that get asked in one really apply to both. On the other hand, none of this really matters, because people either search the whole site, or don't search at all.

qgil
2009-03-11, 23:49
Most threads in the N800 forum that apply also to the N810 and viceversa should probably belong to none, being the main candidates OS2008 or Apps.

Talk.maemo.org not only needs a reorganization and deprecation of forums, it also needs a better (more distributed) moderation. The cleaner and better sorted the forums are, the most likely new posters will post in the right forum.

And sorry but I don't think the majority of users go through all the New Posts. Some of us do, and you know it takes time and regular commitment. Most users look probably the top 10 in the home and perhaps their preferred couple of forums.

qgil
2009-03-11, 23:59
Perhaps Competitors would go better as the last option in Devices? Almost all the threads there are related to hardware and the 'competing' software is mostly the one discussed in Alternatives.

qole
2009-03-12, 00:15
Perhaps Competitors would go better as the last option in Devices? Almost all the threads there are related to hardware and the 'competing' software is mostly the one discussed in Alternatives.

Threads about competitors could mostly fit under the new "Whines, Rants and Trolls" category.

SD69
2009-03-12, 00:31
Right now:

- Nokia N800 (27 Viewing)
3,036 threads (120 updated this year) & 27,623 posts

- Alternatives (13 Viewing) in total
368 threads (15 updated this year) & 8107 posts

Android 28 threads (10 updated this year) & 1.183 posts
Debian 70 (16) & 2976
KDE 135 (7) & 2015
Palm OS 110 (11) & 1295

And btw searching for "Mer" in titles gives 10 results. Not very scientific but should give an idea. So perhaps it's not worth to start with a Mer subforum either.

And promote subforums only when it's clear that a topic has enough traffic to deserve it. This is how forums use to grow organically.Good point. I like numbers. Mer wasn't really a topic on January 1st. If you look at the last month only, Mer might warrant a sub-forum (or not).

Also, I suspect that the largest number of updated threads are in the "General" forum, but that many of them should properly be in one of the other forums. I think putting it first invites this.

I would suggest getting rid of the miscellaneous folder entirely, moving competitors to devices, moving Buy & Sell and Off-Topic to Talk folder, and put Comment/Suggest someplace unigue where it clearly conveys that it is meant for comments/suggestions relating to the forum or maemo.org.

YoDude
2009-03-12, 02:21
...And promote subforums only when it's clear that a topic has enough traffic to deserve it. This is how forums use to grow organically.

Well put...

The only input that I have is to reinforce that notion of allowing the site to grow "organically" or evolve naturally as traffic dictates. It is an excellent idea to have a blueprint of when and how forums and sub-forums will be added, it is also important (IMHO) not to add those forums until conditions warrant it.

User/members may feel a greater sense of ownership or community as they experience forum growth first hand. IMHO, it is this sense of community that leads to increased participation.

qgil
2009-03-12, 05:24
I think organic growth is mostly related to real and continuous pressure mora than in written rules, that might or might not reflect that pressure. For instance, if the Mer contributors and fanboys are determined to get that forum they will find the reasoning and arguments to get it... Unless a stronger voice from the rest of the community thnks otherwise.

But feel free coming up with a blueprint for creating new forums.

Getting rid of Misc is a good idea. I edited the first post taking your ideas and a couple more that came in the way.

sachin007
2009-03-12, 05:33
Some thoughts about the integration of ITt with maemo.org as a frequent user of both sites:

- Software precedes hardware.
- It's good to differentiate between platform, official apps and 3rd party apps.
- The best threads should become news @ http://maemo.org/news

Following these principles, here is a proposal to reorganize the forums (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/):

Talk
- General
- maemo.org (community related, Council, website including Talk)
- Off-topic

Applications
- Pre-installed / official
- Community / 3rd party (maybe worth splitting one day between community and commercial?)
--- Sub-forums: Canola, Gaming

OS / Platform
- Maemo 5 / Fremantle
- OS2008 / Maemo 4 / Chinook - Diablo
- Developers (moving to own section if the topics grow and specialized areas are needed)
- Alternatives (merging Sub-Forums: Android, Debian, KDE, Palm OS)

Devices
- Nokia N810 & WiMAX Edition
- Nokia N800
- Nokia 770
- Accessories
- Competitors
- Buy & Sell (merging Deals & Promos)

Old (these ones don't accept new posts, threads with new comments might be moved to the right forums)
- News
- Announcements
- Troubleshooting
- Upgrading
- Tablet 101
- OS2005 / Maemo 1

Nice idea.
How are the best threads selected?

Rating
No. of posts
No. of thanks

And where is reggie? One would expect him to give his expert opinion in this topic.
Anyone know wats up with him?

SD69
2009-03-12, 12:03
Also, I suspect that the largest number of updated threads are in the "General" forum, but that many of them should properly be in one of the other forums. I think putting it first invites this.

And another thought, maybe "General" should be changed to "Experienced" or similar to give better juxtaposition against "Newbie" and assist in better categorization of threads.

eiffel
2009-03-12, 12:35
I'm a "keep-it-simple-and-low-maintenance" person. How about:

Help and troubleshooting
Buy and sell
On-topic discussions (Nokia tablets, Maemo OS, Maemo apps)
Off-topic discussions (competitors, rants, chit-chat)

Anything more complicated risks causing stress when people post in the "wrong" place.

Regards,
Roger

Jaffa
2009-03-12, 12:46
And where is reggie? One would expect him to give his expert opinion in this topic.
Anyone know wats up with him?

He's busy at the moment, but is being kept in the loop.

GeneralAntilles
2009-03-12, 12:53
And another thought, maybe "General" should be changed to "Experienced" or similar to give better juxtaposition against "Newbie" and assist in better categorization of threads.

I'm in favor of keeping it "General", personally (and not for any self-centered reasons ;)).

That does bring up an interesting point about the member "levels", though. Let's see if we can figure out a better list (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=271100).

lardman
2009-03-12, 13:30
I'd say Mer should have a sub-section, perhaps under a general "Hacker Editions" heading or similar.

qgil
2009-03-12, 20:25
How to promote threads as news: could be based on the current stars. I nn users give 4/5 stars then off you go. Or something like that. Or the same karma principles used for planet Maemo. Or...

ITt has shown a big success with the current structure so I'm not thinking of proposing any radical change, only an evolution.

General is good IMHO.

Mer or anything needs more than 10 threads to get an own forum. As a former admin of forums I have seen many subforums opened for something before it was strictly needed, becoming dead places less than a year after. I don't wish this to Mer, but because of this I have no doubt they will reach the right volume to deserve one

I commented to Reggie that I would draft a proposal here. And the initial post is what I'm going to propose him tomorrow unless someone comes with amazing improvements.

GeneralAntilles
2009-03-12, 21:04
How to promote threads as news: could be based on the current stars. I nn users give 4/5 stars then off you go. Or something like that. Or the same karma principles used for planet Maemo. Or...

Most people don't rate threads (I know I don't), and the people who do usually do so because they really love or really hate a thread. We'd need to get people rating threads more, or perhaps make it easier to rate threads (maybe just a thumb/heart like Planet). Tying it into the favorites karma might help too.

qole
2009-03-12, 21:20
I was looking at the list of OS's under Software, and I see where you're going. Only the last official OS for each device is represented.

So where do people put threads about OS200[78]HE? Same treatment as Mer, place it under Alternatives? Or just do like people are doing now, put it under Devices/770?

There's a discussion about this very problem here (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16901).

pelago
2009-03-12, 22:40
Wow I didn't even know you could rate threads! Maybe the box for rating them should be at the bottom, not the top, as you don't know what rating to give until you've read it.

qgil
2009-03-13, 05:14
I'd say the HEs go to the OS forum they correspond to e.g OS2008 for the OS2008 HE.

It is important to keep the Devices forums hardware centric.

About Mer, the threads started in Alternatives and nobody complained. I'm for keeping it there until something relevant happens. For instance, if they achieve Maemo 5 API and UI they would be probably fine in a subforum under Maemo 5.

RogerS
2009-03-14, 04:01
- The best threads should become news @ http://maemo.org/newsI am much in favor of promoting items of especial interest from the forums, as previously noted.

These aren't always News, however -- unless you can keep in mind the weekly newspaper standby, usually entitled something like "Goings on around town." The interest of the community makes some non-newsworthy events worth being reported.

I guess I'm saying the interpretation of what is usefully boosted to the News level should be as broad as possible, without simply grabbing every very-active thread because the number of posts indicate there's a lot of interest.

Of course, that's what editors are for, or moderators as we call 'em.

Roger

allnameswereout
2009-03-14, 13:17
I am much in favor of promoting items of especial interest from the forums, as previously noted.

These aren't always News, however -- unless you can keep in mind the weekly newspaper standby, usually entitled something like "Goings on around town." The interest of the community makes some non-newsworthy events worth being reported.

I guess I'm saying the interpretation of what is usefully boosted to the News level should be as broad as possible, without simply grabbing every very-active thread because the number of posts indicate there's a lot of interest.

Of course, that's what editors are for, or moderators as we call 'em.True; a controversial thread might gain a lot of attention while not being worth it to be noticed on the main page.

I'd say a balance between beginner (outsiders) and advanced (insiders) is important. You don't want it to be too global and simple (boring for regulars); you don't want it to be too technical and deep (confusing and cultist for new-comers).

And perhaps using tags. Editors can pick the topics and write about them, or change the order they are shown (related to relevance and catering both outsiders and insiders).

qgil
2009-03-14, 13:41
I would recommend to start a new thread discussing the promotions of threads to news, so here we can concentrate in the forums reorg.

Reggie
2009-03-17, 07:59
I have modified the forums to reflect the new proposed structure.

The major thing that changed was to merge the "Alternatives" sub-forums. I have manually pre-fixed the post titles on the merged sub-forums with [Android], [Debian], [KDE], and [Palm OS] to make it easier to know where they came from and what they are talking about.

Also, I think some of the forum names are a bit too long.

Let me know what you think.

ciroip
2009-03-17, 10:34
Im for lot less forums too:

-Rename "official apps" to "Nokia Applications"
-Rename the terrible "3rd party apps" to just "Applications"
(If u ask me I would move the 'Nokia Applications' as an Application's subforum and remove all the other application specific subforums)
-General (maybe a subforum for video links?)
-Offtopic
this IMO should be the core

No way a newbie can understant what is really newbie: I would suggest a 'rate' system for senior members and keep the threads togheter in the 'right' forum.

'Last post' on home page is 90% useless to me i would prefer the direct link to the thread that received more posts in last 12 hours.

Add an empty 5 star jpg to each thread: people just dont know that rating exist: to make someone vote for my thread I had to
downvote mine with a 2 just to put the stars there :). A sad 1 star thread now is much more visible than a clever one with no stars...

I would promote the position of threads connected with a maemo project: if an application begin to be dowloaded from maemo make sense that the relative thread receive more 'visibility'.

Since Nokia was hiring maemo related people like crazy during last months seem a bit odd to me there isn't a 'Job' thread on ITT.

A bit offtopic note: garage should not let people uploads jpg and screenshots: I used (not in a malicious way) the garage repository and linked the screenshots on ITT and I probably generated a lot of waste bandwidth and + fake stats on the maemo charts: I just realized that watching one of my minor stupid project being on the 'Most Active This Week'. Just suggest people to use ano other 'pic site' and block the jpg upload on garage

pycage
2009-03-17, 12:05
A bit offtopic note: garage should not let people uploads jpg and screenshots: I used (not in a malicious way) the garage repository and linked the screenshots on ITT and I probably generated a lot of waste bandwidth and + fake stats on the maemo charts: I just realized that watching one of my minor stupid project being on the 'Most Active This Week'. Just suggest people to use ano other 'pic site' and block the jpg upload on garage

Did you upload the images to trunk or to www? You can have a www repo in garage where you have your project-website. Nothing should be wrong with linking from ITT to images from your project website.

ciroip
2009-03-17, 12:31
Did you upload the images to trunk or to www? You can have a www repo in garage where you have your project-website. Nothing should be wrong with linking from ITT to images from your project website.

I think is better continue this discussion under Developers...
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=272287#post272287
I only posted here because the idea of link the ITT threads to maemo repository

TA-t3
2009-03-17, 15:08
Im for lot less forums too:

-Rename "official apps" to "Nokia Applications"
-Rename the terrible "3rd party apps" to just "Applications"
[...]
After noticing the 'official apps' forum today after the reorganisation I completely agree with the above -- 'Nokia Applications' would be way better.

GeneralAntilles
2009-03-17, 16:47
'Nokia Applications' would be way better.

. . . and less accurate. ITVC is a Nokia application, the stuff that ships with Maemo are Maemo SW applications.

TA-t3
2009-03-17, 17:10
OK, but I really hate that 'Official' part.. can't we find something better?

GeneralAntilles
2009-03-17, 17:21
OK, but I really hate that 'Official' part..

Why?

can't we find something better?

What about "Maemo SW Apps"?

sjgadsby
2009-03-17, 17:38
What about "Maemo SW Apps"?

I expect too many will read that as "Software Apps for Maemo", rather than "Apps by Maemo Software", and wonder why there's also a 3rd Party forum.

qgil
2009-03-17, 19:30
Mmm... should we merge all the apps (official, community, 3rd party commercial...) and open subforums by categories when they have enough traffic? Following the same taxonomy agreed for the Application Manager e.g. Internet, Multimedia...

I would start renaming Canola ---> Multimedia and moving the bunch of most recent threads there.

qgil
2009-03-17, 19:41
No way a newbie can understant what is really newbie: I would suggest a 'rate' system for senior members and keep the threads togheter in the 'right' forum.

I agree, but I still think is a good idea to offer an easy landing there, and then redirect the threads that have an obvious placement below. At least for now. If we see that slowly the newcomers are finding the right foums and the newbie is less and less used we can move it to Old.

fanoush
2009-03-17, 19:55
Why?
Because 3rd party applications are 'official' too. Is OpenOffice less official than Microsoft Word? As long as application is not beta and is released to general public it is as official as anything else.

hns
2009-03-17, 20:34
Mmm... should we merge all the apps (official, community, 3rd party commercial...) and open subforums by categories when they have enough traffic? Following the same taxonomy agreed for the Application Manager e.g. Internet, Multimedia...

I would start renaming Canola ---> Multimedia and moving the bunch of most recent threads there.

I like this approach. The Official/3rd-party devide feels like application ghettos to me. No reason Nokia Maps can't be discussed next to Maemo Mapper, and the built-in browser next to Tear.

GeneralAntilles
2009-03-17, 20:56
. . . Nokia Maps . . .

Nokia Maps would belong in an S60 forum. We'd be discussing Navicore Map here.

mikkov
2009-03-17, 21:00
. We'd be discussing Navicore Map here.

Not for long if Wayfinder is discontinued
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=272420

GeneralAntilles
2009-03-17, 21:25
Not for long if Wayfinder is discontinued

Indications seem to point to Nokia Maps being bundled with Fremantle anyway.

YoDude
2009-03-18, 00:40
Because 3rd party applications are 'official' too. Is OpenOffice less official than Microsoft Word? As long as application is not beta and is released to general public it is as official as anything else.

I was thinkin' "Official" meant any app that doesn't show that 3rd party software disclaimer when you install it or it was shipped with the device or was included in an OS upgrade.

qgil
2009-03-18, 05:46

This proposal got 1 thanks and 1 positive comment (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=272422&postcount=62) but no feedback from the guys discussing about what is official and where is Nokia Maps. Not enough to make a decision and not so little to drop the idea.

Please comment.

TA-t3
2009-03-18, 10:53
> Why?

Because when I see 'Offcial apps' I automatically think 'Official according to whom?'

free
2009-03-18, 11:28
Third party.. we need to know who are the other party then. I haven't heard this term for a long time, probably since I left microsoft OS.
I like the "Nokia apps" idea, if it is really needed to differentiate.

ciroip
2009-03-18, 11:41
This proposal got 1 thanks and 1 positive comment (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=272422&postcount=62) but no feedback from the guys discussing about what is official and where is Nokia Maps. Not enough to make a decision and not so little to drop the idea.

Please comment.
(If u ask me I would move the 'Nokia Applications' as an Application's subforum and remove all the other application specific subforums)
I quote myself :), now I just need to begin to talk in 3rd person and use the majestic plural...
Subforums by categories sound fine to me (and a smaller header pic please :) )

SD69
2009-03-18, 11:56

Please comment.Yes to app categories (Internet, multimedia, etc.)

One thing not being discussed is that many apps are in development, undocumented, or otherwise not appropriate for casual users. Perhaps this is more important in practice than the "official" distinction, although somewhat overlapping.

pelago
2009-03-18, 16:54
I think just one big apps forum is needed, which will contain both Maemo SW apps and other apps. I don't think we need subcategories, unless one or two categories overwhelm the apps forum.

Reggie
2009-03-18, 22:39
Here are a few more changes as per Quim:
merged Official and 3rd party apps to a single 'Applications' forum. Main category renamed to 'Software'
renamed 'Canola' to 'Multimedia'. Canola threads prefixed with '[Canola]'.
renamed 'Gaming' as 'Games'

GeneralAntilles
2009-05-06, 17:49
Alright, based on bug 4476 (http://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4476) we may want to discuss the naming of the maemo.org forum and the Talk section.

I'm thinking we could safely rename maemo.org to "Website", but I'm not sure about Talk.

Texrat
2009-05-06, 17:52
Hey, I was just getting used to the Talk > Talk > pipe... :p

Even better is maemo.org > Talk > Talk > maemo.org (see this thread's header). It's complete. Circular. Self-referential. Break that and I'm sure monkeys will fly out of someone's butt...

mullf
2009-05-06, 23:22
How about maemo.org > Talk > Shooting the Sh*t > maemo.org

rcsteiner
2009-05-14, 17:31
Is the 'Upgrading' forum worth keeping? It seems ill-defined.

And is Palm OS really deserving of a full forum in 'alternatives'? Garnet VM itself could just be discussed in 3rd party Apps, and Palm OS-specific stuff could be on a different site. (By the way, I love Palm OS, so please don't think I'm dissing it!)

The Garnet VM poses a number of specific issues (e.g., how to make backups) that a normal Palm OS forum isn't really used to seeing, and that are really quite specific to the implementation we have on the Nokia tablets.

GeneralAntilles
2009-05-14, 17:35
The Garnet VM poses a number of specific issues (e.g., how to make backups) that a normal Palm OS forum isn't really used to seeing, and that are really quite specific to the implementation we have on the Nokia tablets.

Thus, this:

Garnet VM itself could just be discussed in 3rd party Apps

qole
2009-05-14, 17:37
Having just gone through the Alternatives forum tagging hundreds of threads, I can tell you that the Garnet VM is one of the most deserving alternatives for a subforum.

Take a look at this list (http://talk.maemo.org/tags.php?tag=palm). These are just the threads that I've tagged so far. There's several dozen I haven't gotten to yet.

Looking at the tag cloud (http://talk.maemo.org/tags.php) really shows that our work in Alternatives is paying off. Look at the size of the alternative tags (like kde, mer, garnet, debian, deblet, android, etc) compared to tags you would expect to be bigger (like n800, maemo, microb, etc).

TA-t3
2009-05-15, 10:22
qole: Very interesting list. I had no idea there were that many, even though I follow all the GVM stuff. And almost every thread topic is very specific, focused on a real issue. That tells me that those using GVM on NIT are quite keen :) (and as rcsteiner also said, GVM issues are of a different nature than native PalmOS issues).

Jaffa
2009-05-15, 11:31
Take a look at this list (http://talk.maemo.org/tags.php?tag=palm). These are just the threads that I've tagged so far. There's several dozen I haven't gotten to yet.

Cool, thanks^2.

Looking at the tag cloud (http://talk.maemo.org/tags.php) really shows that our work in Alternatives is paying off. Look at the size of the alternative tags (like kde, mer, garnet, debian, deblet, android, etc) compared to tags you would expect to be bigger (like n800, maemo, microb, etc).

Actually, I'm not surprised: most of the posts here are about Maemo - so why would it be tagged? This is one of the problems with tags in a general information architecture: the general don't get good tags; only the specific. The other is knowing which tags are appropriate to use (for example, are most things tagged "deblet" also tagged "debian"?)

A lot of this can be solved by having a moderation team doing tagging - just like you are - like the bug squad on Bugzilla and the Wiki Action Group.

In other words, I hope you and the others carry on doing this "tending" in future, rather than just as a one-off exercise.