PDA

View Full Version : Can I reformat my 770?

Robotech_Master
2009-03-22, 19:44
My 770 has gotten less and less dependable lately. When I try to do apt-get dist-upgrades it errors out claiming a broken dependency for an application...but when I try to install that missing application it claims it's already there.

I just installed FBReader 10, and it won't start at all.

Is there some way to reformat or reset my Nokia 770 and start out factory-fresh?

Fionn
2009-03-22, 20:31
Is there some way to reformat or reset my Nokia 770 and start out factory-fresh?

Yep, just reflash it.
There should be enough info here (http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware).
If not then let us know what you have issues with :).

Robotech_Master
2009-04-01, 01:29
I notice that there are 3 different versions available: the standard 770 OS, and OS2007HE and OS2008HE.

Which one of those do I want? I want to be able to run all the latest software, mainly the ssh client, VNC, FBReader, and (assuming it comes out for Maemo) Fictionwise's eReader client. (Also, the best, most recent version of the web browser app, or a replacement, that I can get. Isn't there a Firefox thing for Maemo now? Can I run it on the 770 with one of the above OSes?)

I'm a command-line sort of person, so I'll generally be updating it by doing apt-get update;apt-get dist-upgrade rather than messing around with the GUI.

Robotech_Master
2009-04-01, 13:40
Right, so. I download the Windows update wizard. I follow the instructions. I plug my Nokia into the USB, hold down the "home" key as I turn it on until the USB symbol shows in the upper right corner...but the wizard still can't find it. :/ What's up with that?