PDA

View Full Version : Tired of beating my Dead Horse...

andrewfblack
2009-04-21, 13:36
Well I'm going to close Maemobox.org on April 30th. Its had a good run and has served many many TB of data to the Maemo Community. After asking for donations to keep it running I"m going to shut it down I have asked for maemo.org people for help with hosting and they seemed interested at least but never moved past that. I hope that all the projects I was hosting can find a new home somewhere.

Anyone who wants to get anything off of maemobox.org needs to get it before April 30th. Thats when the doors will be closing.

qgil
2009-04-22, 18:50
I have asked for maemo.org people for help with hosting and they seemed interested at least but never moved past that.

Any details do you want to share?

And to the projects hosted: anything you are missing in http://garage.maemo.org ?

Your project has served a good purpose for the projects it hosted. Let's try not to loose that.

BrentDC
2009-04-22, 19:05

And to the projects hosted: anything you are missing in http://garage.maemo.org ?

Your project has served a good purpose for the projects it hosted. Let's try not to loose that.

I have an account at Maemobox.org. The reason I singed up for one there and not at a place like Garage was because it is easy and flexible. Andrew basically just gave me an FTP account and the rest was up to me.

I started just putting files (*.debs) on the root of my domain, then added a few folders, then before I knew it had a full blown website (brentdc.maemobox.org) (admittedly one that doesn't work on Internet Explorer).

Maybe the garage has this same capability? From what I see, I can't tell.

And Andrew, thanks for providing this service. It was very much appreciated.

GeneralAntilles
2009-04-22, 19:11
Maybe the garage has this same capability? From what I see, I can't tell.

It's got file and web-hosting, so I'd say yes.

GeneralAntilles
2009-04-22, 19:17

It had originally been discussed as a branding change to make Maemobox compliant, moving the DNS to box.maemo.org (or similar), but it sort of evolved into a discussion about providing smaller scale non-project-specific hosting for maemo.org users (say, if qwerty12 wanted to throw up a dirty little .deb for a one-off solution).

It's sort of waiting until the site upgrade is done for further discussion, though.

andrewfblack
2009-04-23, 02:47
This post wasn't meant to be an attack on anyone at maemo.org I really would like to see something similar at maemo.org I even offered to help set it up and help. Its just the hosting the only thing I host on this account anymore is maemo relation items and I can't afford to keep it going due to cost. Even though I only pay a little rather small amount a month. Garage is great for certain projects and all but I would really like to see a service that gives everyone a storage area that can be accessed by going to something like http://www.maemo.org/~Username with either ftp access preferred due to the large size of some of the files I was hosting for people but I could really turn into maybe even a Cloud Storage area for Nokia Tablet Users. They could have a Public and a Private folder to store things in. I even though it would be nice to have a ftp client coded that automatically connection to the server for easy access for beginners.

Alot of UMPC and Tablets come with cloud storage now and this could be our version of it. Alot of people wont use it and most will only use it for small files or for personal use but some people, ok by some people I mean Qole will use close to a 500GB a month but look at the cool stuff he puts out.

This will also put everything on maemo.org since I know everyone loves everything grouped together. Wow I think this is one of my longest posts hope I didn't repeat anything lol.

I just wanted to add that it was qgil's idea to move my service to maemo.org and I think GA liked the idea and I know everyone has been busy with site change I just couldn't hold out paying anymore. I hope everyone understands.

andrewfblack
2009-04-27, 02:52
Just a reminder Tuesday night Maemobox.org will go off line.

timsamoff
2009-04-27, 04:02
I, for one, think maemobox was helpful and much easier to manage than garage.maemo.org -- as it was pure ftp and one didn't have to create a project. I guess if each member of maemo.org had a username "project" on garage, it could be similar, but I don't think that's very feasible. ;)

wiki.maemo.org almost works (for small files, at least).

Having a non-rule-based file sharing system is the key... If users want PHP/MySQL (etc.), I'd prefer they hosted that on their own dime.

Tim

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-04-27, 10:43
I never get tired of beating my.... wait, what were we talking about?

YARR!
}:^)~
O'Capt'n

andrewfblack
2009-04-27, 12:31
I, for one, think maemobox was helpful and much easier to manage than garage.maemo.org -- as it was pure ftp and one didn't have to create a project. I guess if each member of maemo.org had a username "project" on garage, it could be similar, but I don't think that's very feasible. ;)

wiki.maemo.org almost works (for small files, at least).

Having a non-rule-based file sharing system is the key... If users want PHP/MySQL (etc.), I'd prefer they hosted that on their own dime.

Tim

It would not be very hard to create every maemo.org user a ftp account for storage the only thing is you will need massive storage and bandwidth. Most of my projects I hosted only several GB of transfer and used less then a few hundred mb there were a few that used several hundred GB of transfer and over a GB of storage space but if maemo.org could give each user say 1GB of storage to use would be great you have to consider that many people would not use any of it so you wouldn't really need to have 1GB of space for every user you had. Infact I would say less then 10% will use the entire 1GB of space. I still want to see something for the community and I will help with setting it up and running it if you need me to. Remember the Qoles and Qwerty12 of the world need somewhere to keep there files. :)

qole
2009-04-27, 17:01
Well, until I can find a service to host 300MB+ files that are downloaded frequently, I will need to take Easy Debian out of the Extras repository...

I'm sorry that my project brought maemobox.org down.

GeneralAntilles
2009-04-27, 17:05
garage.maemo.org? . . .

qole
2009-04-27, 17:10
Does garage.maemo.org now support 315MB files?

Bundyo
2009-04-27, 17:11
I think they upped it to 500.

Bundyo
2009-04-27, 17:29
Naah...
(Maximum upload file size: 150M)

Well, you can make it 150+150+15MB... :D

qole
2009-04-27, 17:33
So that's it for Easy Debian and my repository of ITT stuff.

Anyone else able to host my image files?

qgil
2009-04-27, 17:34
About garage.maemo.org, remember that 'they' is actually 'you'.

Bundyo
2009-04-27, 17:47
I'm using "they" as a substitute to "not me". I certainly don't have root access to garage. Can also be read as "I think whoever takes care of garage upped the file storage to 500MB. I'm also wrong." ;)

qole
2009-04-27, 20:32
Ok, anyone in my boat has to go IMMEDIATELY to dreamhost.com and get a domain for $10 USD for one year. This $10 deal includes UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH AND STORAGE and ends TODAY, 27-Apr-09!

I will soon have my files on qole.org... at least for one year.

andrewfblack
2009-04-27, 20:46
Well, until I can find a service to host 300MB+ files that are downloaded frequently, I will need to take Easy Debian out of the Extras repository...

I'm sorry that my project brought maemobox.org down.

Qole your project didn't bring maemobox.org down it has/had unlimited bandwidth but I can no longer put the $500 a year into my hosting account since I no longer host any website and the account is maemobox.org stuff only. Also qole if you go with the unlimited plan watch out I be leave dreamhost is against using it for only server files but go with it as long as they will let you.

I have a question who is over the max size of garage.maemo.org, and could it be raised to 500mb or maybe 1GB. I think something other then garage.maemo.org would do better in the long run something that auto creates when user is created and has fto access.

What we need is one of the council members to take charge of this and work on getting it implemented just talking about it but not having anyone in charge of making it happen will get us nowhere.

allnameswereout
2009-04-27, 21:24
Sourceforge supports such large files, and can handle the bandwidth.

Launchpad would allow you to create a PPA immediately and provide an easy web frontend for end-users.

Ofcourse each such CMS has their own + and - sides.

andrewfblack
2009-04-27, 21:35
as much as people complain about spliting up maemo stuff I don't think they will want to use sourceforge.

allnameswereout
2009-04-28, 15:03
There are many alternatives for Sourceforge. Google Code. Berlios...

qole
2009-05-11, 21:56
So, it is mid May and my maemobox.org site is still there... what's up with that?

andrewfblack
2009-05-11, 21:59
Well I have to cancel on the 29th or before well I waited to last and I got billed for another month. I just didn't tell anyone be cause its the last month.

qole
2009-05-11, 22:05
It is probably for the best -- this gives anybody who still had old links lots of time to fix the links.

On a related note: Dreamhost is a great service!

andrewfblack
2009-05-11, 22:09
Dreamhost is better for file serving then web page serving if you have a script that uses a lot of resources they service will give you errors a lot if several people are viewing the site.